These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Ty for proving how vile, the eve community really is.

First post First post First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#61 - 2013-12-30 16:20:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Sentient Blade wrote:
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:
Sentient Blade wrote:
I am a little curious about the methods - no cache scraping aside I find that several of my alts, none of which have ever seen combat, some of whom have never chatted in any public channel ever, and sit in the same station all day long, appear on the list.

Put an alt in every starter system, and you'll know every new character created. Simple as that. All that is left is to update data once in a while.


Fair enough, although I suspect there has to be some automation involved at a client level for that to work. I know when I was trying to build up lists of people to do research on, I used 2 years of chat logs and parsed every unique name from them because I figured that macroing user lists into a spreadsheet would be frowned upon if ever found out.

If you do have the data for the signups, any chance you could tell us how many new registrations per month?
There doesn't need to be automation. As soon as you appear on the local list, your portrait gets cached. I'm pretty sure you can then use that to pull the character ID from the cache. So if you leave a char in a started system for 24 hours, then pull your cache, you'll have the IDs of anyone that passed through it (or spawned in it) in the past 24 hours.

EDIT:
Oh and for new characters:
http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

That one really is one of Chribbas, and AFAIK also uses API data.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#62 - 2013-12-30 17:48:26 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?



Grow up

Your a dev, act like one


Grow up?

I'm 29 years old, and 5'6" tall... I don't think there's much hope for me. Lol


On a more serious note, the site is built by a third party, using information that comes from the API through other third parties.

There's nothing wrong with the service at all, or the intelligence it provides to people who declare war.

If you don't want to get your stuff blown up, either learn to fight back, or hire someone to defend your corporation.

It really is that simple.



I admire your calm :)

Other than that, everything has been said. This is public information, "be careful what you wish for".

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Darkblad
Doomheim
#63 - 2013-12-30 18:46:56 UTC
There's only a single reason why this website is bad:

It makes intelligence gathering quite boring.

You only have to check validity of the information ingame as sometimes the data is a bit outdated. You OP should try to find a way to use that site's service to his own advantage ...

And once more: Chribba? MInd adjusting your initial post to a) give correct credit (or rather, from your point of view: tears) and b) fix the link ( http://evewho.com )

NPEISDRIP

Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#64 - 2013-12-30 19:09:10 UTC
Darkblad wrote:
There's only a single reason why this website is bad:

It makes intelligence gathering quite boring.


This is the best statement of the thread.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#65 - 2013-12-30 19:10:12 UTC
Darkblad wrote:
There's only a single reason why this website is bad:

It makes intelligence gathering quite boring.



Because intelligence gathering starts and stops with knowing who your enemies are. Roll I've found Eve-who is a place to start your search for intel, not end it.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Alundil
Rolled Out
#66 - 2013-12-30 19:46:13 UTC
Batelle wrote:
Darkblad wrote:
There's only a single reason why this website is bad:

It makes intelligence gathering quite boring.



Because intelligence gathering starts and stops with knowing who your enemies are. RollI've found Eve-who is a place to start your search for intel, not end it.


Bolded for good measure

I'm right behind you

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2013-12-30 22:16:35 UTC
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
Hi

Since the EvE site

www.eve-who.com went live, griefer war decs have tripled due to a attacking corp able to look up an entire corp members roster and use locator agents to find targets

Bottom line is

A corps member roster is private and Chribba should not be allowed access to CCP servers to provide this information to the public of eve.

Yes spys can be used, but people don't even bother with it.

Look at our war with PIRAT, they know exactly where we all are at anytime.

EvE who's access to corp members rosters need to be taken down

CCP is making empire war a viable business

You are destroying high sec for those of us have have lived in null n do not want to go back



We dont use eve who... we use somethign else...

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#68 - 2013-12-30 22:19:05 UTC
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?



Grow up

Your a dev, act like one



He is actign like oen. A dev from a game that was not made to support sissies. Therte is no safe place. Stop trying to make eve even more harmless and safe than it already is.


Falcon always personified the eve essense on every freackign response I saw from him in the forums. You on other hand...

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Sean Parisi
Blackrise Vanguard
#69 - 2013-12-30 22:43:03 UTC
Thank you for informing me of this valuable tool. I will now be declaring war on multiple carebear corps, salutations and happy hunting.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#70 - 2013-12-30 22:50:03 UTC
I assume we're leaving the thread open to promote it? Twisted

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Captain StringfellowHawk
Forsaken Reavers
#71 - 2013-12-30 23:13:34 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?



Grow up

Your a dev, act like one


Grow up?

I'm 29 years old, and 5'6" tall... I don't think there's much hope for me. Lol


On a more serious note, the site is built by a third party, using information that comes from the API through other third parties.

There's nothing wrong with the service at all, or the intelligence it provides to people who declare war.

If you don't want to get your stuff blown up, either learn to fight back, or hire someone to defend your corporation.

It really is that simple.



oooh... Can we play Toss the Tiny person? :P I'm 6'8 and tired of banging my head into things when I forget to duck.. I'll give ya some of my height :D
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#72 - 2013-12-30 23:42:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Lucas Kell wrote:
It uses the API.

Here's how it works: To obtain character information, it hands the character name or id to the API server, which return the character info.

Now what you are asking is, how do they get the name or ID? It's not through API scraping (which is by going id by id though the API ignoring invalid ones).
What they do is they sit characters in popular systems and channels, then they pull all of the names and ids they can out of chat logs, cached portraits, killboards, the forum, pretty much anywhere they can. Once a characters ID is in the list, it will be there forever and will simply update whenever that character changes corp, etc.

It's all standard stuff that anyone can do. They don't have access to the server, you are simply assuming incorrectly. Get over it.


It does not use the API. Really, read what the guy who built this thing has written.

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for checking out EveWho. I was asked to come here and clarify a couple of things.

1) I am NOT scraping the API.
2) All information I've retrieved is publicly available somewhere.
3) I am NOT scraping the API.

I am well aware of CCP's policies per using the API and I have no intention of abusing them. I built the initial database by getting a character dump from Eve-Kill, scraping some forums, scraping a few hundred other killboards, and from a couple of donations of character name lists.

I am NOT scraping the API.

I built this site by using resources available to everyone. That includes you. I saw another site similar to EveWho a few months ago and thought I could do a better job. I believe I did. If you think you can do a better job, you just might be able to do so :)

I am NOT scraping the API.

Once again let me restate that I am not scraping the API. I might cause an error or two every few minutes but no where near enough to get myself Scotty'ed or even banned. I like getting along with Scotty anyway.

I am NOT scraping the API.

Please continue to enjoy EveWho for good or bad, whichever you prefer.

Fly dangerous,
Squizz


FFS

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Aleph Allieah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2013-12-31 01:15:02 UTC
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?



Grow up

Your a dev, act like one


No, I'm pretty sure he's perfectly grown up and in his place to do so. Though I think he should've just posted this instead to be honest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#74 - 2013-12-31 01:34:13 UTC
mynnna wrote:
You know, if your corp lived up to its incredibly bombastic corp description (quoted below) I would think you wouldn't have problems with highsec wardecs at all, because you'd be kicking the **** out of them. Talk is cheap, I guess.

Quote:
Study Us, Get All Over Us, Look Closely, Look Real Close, Because The Closer You Look, The Less You Will See, We Will Always Be One Step, Three Steps, No, Ten Steps Ahead And When You Think Your Ahead, Bam, We Will be Right Behind You, You Will Never Be Anywhere Other Than Where We Want You To Be.....


Enjoy the corp bounty. I'm sure your aggressors will. P

But They Can't Possibly Fail If They Type Like This...

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

teric melhaff
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#75 - 2013-12-31 03:10:25 UTC
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?



Grow up

Your a dev, act like one



why don't you grow up and stop bitching about a f***ing game. dont like it unsub and go play wow
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#76 - 2013-12-31 03:38:50 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
R U SERIOUS wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?



You rang?


omg Lol


If you run a server query for chat speak you could enact a namshub ritual
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#77 - 2013-12-31 03:45:04 UTC
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
mynnna wrote:
You know, if your corp lived up to its incredibly bombastic corp description (quoted below) I would think you wouldn't have problems with highsec wardecs at all, because you'd be kicking the **** out of them. Talk is cheap, I guess.

Quote:
Study Us, Get All Over Us, Look Closely, Look Real Close, Because The Closer You Look, The Less You Will See, We Will Always Be One Step, Three Steps, No, Ten Steps Ahead And When You Think Your Ahead, Bam, We Will be Right Behind You, You Will Never Be Anywhere Other Than Where We Want You To Be.....


Enjoy the corp bounty. I'm sure your aggressors will. P


very mature

a CSM member placing a 1billion isk bounty on a high sec corp because he disagrees with a forum post

outstanding choice for CSM u where

Putting a bounty on someone because you don't like their forum posts has been happening since day 1 of the current bounty system.

I'd add to the bounty, but I don't want my inbox to be flooded with kill notifications long after my bounty has been paid out.
Electrique Wizard
Mutually Lucrative Business Proposals
#78 - 2013-12-31 09:04:43 UTC
posting in a not-so-stealth nerf Chribba thread

I am the Zodiac, I am the stars, You are the sorceress, my priestess of Mars, Queen of the night, swathed in satin black, Your ivory flesh upon my torture rack.

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2013-12-31 09:15:24 UTC
Chribba is afk cloaking in ur systemz, collecting ur private infoz.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#80 - 2013-12-31 09:27:24 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
Chribba is afk cloaking in ur systemz, collecting ur private infoz.

He's only doing that so he can identify and protect us from the Bad Guys.