These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Announcement regarding rewards and prizes to fansites and third-party contributors

First post First post First post
Author
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#621 - 2013-10-14 12:58:23 UTC
raven666wings wrote:
Seriously though, Guard already sorted out and aligned the previous matter to a point where discussion and suggestions can be made to determine the rewards given to community services and fansites.
The prizes still need to be settled and the guidelines that will qualify the entities to receive them still have to be written and publicly disclosed, but that matter is partially out of the way.

However the matter regarding Somer Blink's use of isk tokens to reward those who buy a GCT through their referral system still needs to be addressed by Guard and/or other CCP representatives.
We are aware that if CCP wants to they can turn a blind eye on this matter and interpret and/or change the game's EULA and specifically the rules of conduct about selling game currency/items for real money in a way that it won't make Somer Blink's actions illegitimate.
This will however further confirm their favoritism and support of Somer Blink's actions within the sandbox and the game, so the question about whether other players will be able to engage in similar conducts still stands and requires their pronunciation on it so that an agreement can be aligned in the same way that it was for the community services and fansite rewards issue.

Gogela wrote:

ATTN: CCP Guard

I would like to put up a link on a web property I own that sells 30, 60, and 90 day GTCs via affiliate link. I would like the same return on referrals that SOMER gets, and I want to offer 150, 300, and 450 million isk to players who purchase GTCs via my affiliate link. Is this possible?

BUMP
Din Chao
#622 - 2013-10-14 15:54:44 UTC
Just posting this again, as there have been more than 10 pages since I posted this without any CCP response.

Din Chao wrote:
Sorry if this question has already been answered (though based on what I've read of this thread, nothing of substance has actually been answered):

What kind of transparency, if any, has SOMER Blink given to CCP as to how their "lottery" actually works?
How does CCP know for certain that SOMER is running a legitimate operation and what guarantee do you have that they will continue running this way in the future?
Is CCP privy to the specifics of the transactions between SOMER and the players?
Who at CCP is working with SOMER to ensure that they are not cheating on their lotteries and/or stealing from the players?
Does SOMER random = random?

If these are questions that can't be answered, than how can CCP officially endorse SOMER Blink, effectively legitimizing what may or may not be legitimate?

You say SOMER was selected because of EVE Vegas, and SOMER being a gambling site. But the state of Nevada has a Gaming Commission, a government entity, whose job is to guarantee, to the best of their ability, the "fairness" of gambling in their state. Does CCP have such oversight?

EDIT: I see now that some of these questions/concerns were brought up in the FIRST reply to this thread and were completely ignored. I won't be holding my breath for a response...

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#623 - 2013-10-14 16:54:41 UTC
Din Chao wrote:
Just posting this again, as there have been more than 10 pages since I posted this without any CCP response.

I think I would need a weekend away from the angry internet spaceship nerds from time to time too...

Also I'm not sure we're going to get an immediate response to some of these questions because I don't think CCP has the answer right now. They're probably going to want to have a power lunch over a few of these...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Din Chao
#624 - 2013-10-14 17:13:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Din Chao
Gogela wrote:
Din Chao wrote:

I think I would need a weekend away from the angry internet spaceship nerds from time to time too...

Also I'm not sure we're going to get an immediate response to some of these questions because I don't think CCP has the answer right now. They're probably going to want to have a power lunch over a few of these...

No, don't get me wrong, I understand it was the weekend. But it's Monday now, and I don't think Columbus Day is observed in Iceland (though, I guess it could be another holiday, I haven't looked). The point was, I really would like these questions answered, and I didn't want them buried in the threadnaught.

As for the answers to my questions, these are all questions that they should have been able to answer BEFORE they decided to endorse SOMER. So, if they still need time to think about it, they're doing it wrong.
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#625 - 2013-10-14 17:25:40 UTC
By now they already realised the mess they got themselves into and are assessing the possible solutions for it, taking the time to choose the one that best fits their interests before they make another announcement. We might have to wait a bit.
Kate stark
#626 - 2013-10-14 17:25:56 UTC
Kate stark wrote:
monday tomorrow. wonder if CCP will have anything new to say to us.

home from work and nope.

not sure what i was expecting, really.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

The Legendary Soldier
United.
#627 - 2013-10-14 17:37:23 UTC

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, ignoring hundreds of angry posts shows a startling level of arrogance and ignorance.

Over the weekend is one thing, but it must be past close of business in Iceland now, and they are clearly hoping we will just forget about it.

Need to place a high-sec POS? Premade corps for sale, or your corps standings boosted. Trading since January 2012. Many corps sold/boosted - see my thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=63128&find=unread

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#628 - 2013-10-14 17:58:56 UTC
Din Chao wrote:
Gogela wrote:
Din Chao wrote:

No, don't get me wrong, I understand it was the weekend. But it's Monday now, and I don't think Columbus Day is observed in Iceland (though, I guess it could be another holiday, I haven't looked). The point was, I really would like these questions answered, and I didn't want them buried in the threadnaught.

As for the answers to my questions, these are all questions that they should have been able to answer BEFORE they decided to endorse SOMER. So, if they still need time to think about it, they're doing it wrong.

Well... CCP isn't a startup anymore, and you get diminishing returns as a company grows. Sometimes the right and left hands are moving independently. Affiliate programs are probably run by marketing, so I doubt many of the Devs are clued in to every aspect of what they are up to. I mean if your job is to make internet spaceship skins, why would you care or bother about how 3rd party sites are advertising? I mean outside of how your art is being displayed in a banner ad or something, why would you care? I sure wouldn't. So these different wings of CCP are probably trying to figure out, collectively, what is going on before they can even comment on anything. There will be meetings. There may be doughnuts at those meetings. Then an email will be sent. Then a follow up email asking if the first email was received. Then a confirmation email sent back that confirms receipt of the first email but without an answer to the question it contained. Then another one sent back asking that the question in the first email be addressed. Then a reply asking that the first email be resent because it was accidentally deleted...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Josef Djugashvilis
#629 - 2013-10-14 18:44:28 UTC
I would suggest that CCP have read the player feedback on this issue and that they are formulating a response to past events and how they intend to proceed in the future.

It is better that they take their time and get it right, rather than posting something just for the sake of posting.

This is not a signature.

adarma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#630 - 2013-10-14 18:54:08 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
I would suggest that CCP have read the player feedback on this issue and that they are formulating a response to past events and how they intend to proceed in the future.

It is better that they take their time and get it right, rather than posting something just for the sake of posting.

Well, at least they can post just what you are saying then... that they are formulating something and not ignoring this.
Din Chao
#631 - 2013-10-14 19:41:57 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Well... CCP isn't a startup anymore, and you get diminishing returns as a company grows. Sometimes the right and left hands are moving independently. Affiliate programs are probably run by marketing, so I doubt many of the Devs are clued in to every aspect of what they are up to. I mean if your job is to make internet spaceship skins, why would you care or bother about how 3rd party sites are advertising? I mean outside of how your art is being displayed in a banner ad or something, why would you care? I sure wouldn't. So these different wings of CCP are probably trying to figure out, collectively, what is going on before they can even comment on anything. There will be meetings. There may be doughnuts at those meetings. Then an email will be sent. Then a follow up email asking if the first email was received. Then a confirmation email sent back that confirms receipt of the first email but without an answer to the question it contained. Then another one sent back asking that the question in the first email be addressed. Then a reply asking that the first email be resent because it was accidentally deleted...

Mmmmmm... doughnuts...

You're right. I work for one of the largest companies in the world and I've seen simple customer service emails go through 15 people before they get to the person that can take care of the problem. But I also know CCP, and if you don't keep up the hounding, they tend to drift.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#632 - 2013-10-14 20:31:45 UTC
Considering that this is about policy, I'm really not surprised responses are slow. Creating policy, in any organisation over a handful of people, takes time.

In part because it's not just writing it. It's also the processes to manage that policy.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Maximilian Akora
It's just business.
#633 - 2013-10-14 23:30:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximilian Akora
You don't need policy, policy is for people who lack common sense and/or a decent understanding of the subject at hand. All you need is someone at CCP who understands EVE and its history to realise that CCP can't play footsie with any political or for profit entity within EVE. It's not difficult, you don't need rules and you don't need to have an IQ of 135 for it.

And if there's an "if in doubt" moment going on then CCP created a think tank a while back to help them with these "difficult" issues, it's called the CSM. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of current and past CSM members would within one second realise the possible "oops" this whole thing would turn in to, and suggest to CCP to refrain from these kinds of actions.
Money Makin Mitch
Paid in Full
#634 - 2013-10-15 00:19:40 UTC
keep their feet to the fire. we can't let them get away with this Twisted
Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#635 - 2013-10-15 02:03:45 UTC
The wait continues.

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the Future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zT4Y-QNdto

Most likely outcome, they all Take the Money and Run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0NKWpRO6g

StuckAtTheLock
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#636 - 2013-10-15 02:55:49 UTC
Welp, my account lapses in 24 hrs. If ccp responds after then - I won't be able to give any input.

Thanks for taking... coming on 1.5 weeks to respond to this fiasco ccp.

Hopefully there are plenty that will keep the pressure on about the blatant RMT and favoritism business because as it currently stands I won't be coming back.
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#637 - 2013-10-15 04:32:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Funny someone pointed out the RMT thing a year ago and nothing was done then, lol:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=130803&p=2

I have cancelled pretty much every alt account I have over this. I am in a tough spot with my main because I run a corp with a great bunch of guys and I won't leave them high and dry.

This is RMT, and SOMER should not be allowed to do it. They should receive the same punishment as every other RMT'er. The fact CCP would ignore it for this long is shameful and we deserve an explanation and for this to be addressed once and for all.
Shai 'Hulud
#638 - 2013-10-15 05:16:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Shai 'Hulud
I'm just glad I never got around to ordering the new collector's edition Cool

Bad enough my accounts had all been paid up just a few days before CCP started "blowing" (see sig.) Evil

The most useful slaves are those that believe themselves to be free

Kate stark
#639 - 2013-10-15 05:25:16 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Considering that this is about policy, I'm really not surprised responses are slow. Creating policy, in any organisation over a handful of people, takes time.

In part because it's not just writing it. It's also the processes to manage that policy.

lack of communication was the root cause of the issue...

an update isn't too much to ask for.

"we're still working on it" takes 30 seconds to type and would go a long way with the community. we don't want them to rush an answer, we merely want to be informed of what is happening (if anything).

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Deka Ekato
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#640 - 2013-10-15 05:29:43 UTC
As the EveVegas 2013 event is on this weekend, I suspect that CCP will not respond to this issue until after the event.

Why? I suspect that CCP still wants to support and "cozy up" to Somer and maintain their relationship together.

CCP, if you actually do this, well this will look extremely bad for you.

CCP, for the sake of what little integrity you have left, you have to come to terms that your relationship with Somer is over.
Cause, by disassociating yourself from Somer will be only a small but vital part to fixing this issue.

Somer is a scam.
Somer deals in RMT. CCP needs to investigate and audit them.
Somer being a means of financial revenue for CCP is over.

CCP, there are many questions from many concerned and upset customers. They all need to be addressed and responded to.

CCP, please provide us with a response on this issue before the weekend.

Thanks.
Deka.