These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Star Citizen v EVE

First post First post First post
Author
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#681 - 2013-11-24 04:53:01 UTC
Yeah... I sent them $30 for a digital copy since I figured I am going to buy it anyways and would rather pay that then $59.99 when it comes out.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#682 - 2013-11-24 08:47:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Lipbite wrote:
With 5 goals like "+1 ship for $1 million" Star Citizen devs started to resemble CCP which market patches with 2 ships and 4 flying suitcases as "expansions". A bit disappointing.

Well, the original funding was 20 million USD, updated to 23 to account for kickstarting & other costs. At one point, there was a fear of an obvious risk of "feature creeping" as the game approached the boundaries of the original development plan. Actually, many of the latest fancies will not be available upon release (that already was stated by the 26th million, IIRC).

As I said at the time, CR must stop promising stuff in exchange for money, and this new diea of letting peeps choose ships is just working fine. it keeps building community, he's not forced to make those ships available upon launch (nothing beyond 26th million is, except the Suadron 42 improved content) and certainly doesn't means a feature creep, minus for the part in which so far the ships are being conceptualized by a single guy and his to-do list is growing quickly.

Anyway, the bombers sale has downed the 30th million and so another ship has joiend the ranks, the Origin 890 JUMP, a luxuy yacht with multiple decks, ample windows and a bay for small craft.

Goal for 32 million has been set as the Aegis Surveyor, a dedicated salvage ship. Voting is open for the next stretch goal ship; if they keep going this way, probably additional ships will be the stretch goals up to the 35th million.

This voting is very tight, as there are three optiosn packed on a dime:

Smuggling ship 21%
Exploration ship 20%
Information Runner 20%

That, with 10,169 votes already cast... there's some passionate community there.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#683 - 2013-11-25 23:06:57 UTC
I was thinking of another thread to stir up trouble on General Discussion and I thought of a good topic...

Star Citizen seems to have people voting on non-PVP ships which means it caters to carebears.

Carebear miners basically supply all the minerals for EVE's economy which allows the PVPers to shoot stuff cheaply.

Once Star Citizen is out and all the carebears leave because they are tired of the grief, EVE mineral prices will go through the roof ruining all the PVPers day.

QED

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#684 - 2013-11-25 23:19:29 UTC
Well, SC has hit 3 stretch goals over a weekend -29, 30, and now 31 million.

The 31 million stretch goal is the RSI Orion, a dedicated miner ship:

Quote:
RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

The voting for the 32 million goal has picked a exploration ship, namely the Anvil Carrack:

Quote:
Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

So far the voting for the 33 million goal haves a tie up betwween Smuggling ship and Informaton Runner ship, both with 27% of 8,574 votes gathered in a bit over an hour.

digitalwanderer
DW inc
#685 - 2013-11-26 03:19:52 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:

Quote:
RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

The voting for the 32 million goal has picked a exploration ship, namely the Anvil Carrack:

Quote:
Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

So far the voting for the 33 million goal haves a tie up betwween Smuggling ship and Informaton Runner ship, both with 27% of 8,574 votes gathered in a bit over an hour.

Just got a fourth ship to the collection, which now comprises:

1; constellation as multi purpose, a cutlass as a smaller millitia/ patrol ship, a retaliator as heavy bomber and the starfarer as the hauler of fuel and merchandise......Not putting one more cent into the game even though the idris corvette goes on sale tomorrow....Shocked
Lipbite
Express Hauler
#686 - 2013-11-26 05:47:49 UTC
Today is the "last"* day of LTI ships for veterans. Grey market is going to explode tomorrow.

* Somehow I'm sure there will be more LTI ships sales.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#687 - 2013-11-26 07:59:30 UTC
Lipbite wrote:
Today is the "last"* day of LTI ships for veterans. Grey market is going to explode tomorrow.

The sale have been LTI ships for everyone just to strike the grey market, which CIG frowns at.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#688 - 2013-11-26 23:33:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
Lipbite wrote:

The sale have been LTI ships for everyone just to strike the grey market, which CIG frowns at.

I expect grey market will explode in few hours with 2-3x prices on LTI ships. If I had veteran account I'd purchase a hundred of LTI freelancers-cutlasses-hornets right now.

edit: video of shooting range within hangar in SC. This content is "costly" according to CCP who spent $16 millions on R&D last year with ~0 new content in the end (except for handful of ships with design from mid-00 and few modules).
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#689 - 2013-11-27 14:01:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Lipbite wrote:
Lipbite wrote:

I expect grey market will explode in few hours with 2-3x prices on LTI ships. If I had veteran account I'd purchase a hundred of LTI freelancers-cutlasses-hornets right now.

edit: video of shooting range within hangar in SC. This content is "costly" according to CCP who spent $16 millions on R&D last year with ~0 new content in the end (except for handful of ships with design from mid-00 and few modules).

Well, I was kind of wondering, "but what will we shoot at that firing range?". The idea of firing ship weapons has surprised me... and that Gatling gun is so much of a gun...! Lol

On other news, SC funding just reached 33 million. 1 million more and they will be doing in a bit over a year the kind of money CCP does in 6 months... with a game still in development.

Stretch goal for 33 million was the Anvil Carrack:

Stretch goal for 34 millon is the Drake Herald, a information runner specialyzed ship:

Drake Herald – Knowledge is power, and one of the most valuable commodities is pure information: the 1s and 0s behind everything from UEC ledgers to Citizenship ratings. Whether it’s colonists struggling to stay in contact with the UEE’s central worlds or criminals trading in illicit data, there will always be a need to securely move data. The Drake Herald, small, armored ship, is designed to fit that need and safely get that information from Point A to Point B. Featuring a powerful central engine (for high speed transit and generating the power needed for effective data encryption/containment), advanced encryption software and an armored computer core, the Herald is unique among personal spacecraft in that it is designed to be easily ‘cleaned’ when in danger of capture. The Herald includes an array of heavy duty internal options for data protection, including redundant power subsystems and EMP shielding, and a high-powered broadcast array for data transmission.

Also has started the voting for the 35 million goal; the next 5 goals will be additional systems, each one with a iconic feature in it.

The leading option is a Black hole event horizon, with 23% of 14,765 votes cast.

Tough choice IMO, as that's some real nasty place to be and the scale is massive...

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#690 - 2013-11-27 18:02:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
Soma Khan wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Soma Khan wrote:
what are those spinning fans inside the nose of the hornet? isn't that thing for flying in space?

Take off and landing in an atmosphere, for example a planet or within the flight bay of a carrier.

but they do spin in space, just watch some of the videos they have of that craft. not trying to be an ass but that kind of thing can really break immersion. hopefully someone notices before the game goes live

Butchered out of SC site

"Intakes

Intakes are the hydrogen ram scoops on the front of the spacecraft which fuel it by gathering spaceborne hydrogen.. Upgrades alter the effectiveness and the profile of the vehicle; the more effectively a ship takes in fuel the more efficient its engines. The tradeoff is that, unless countermeasures are installed, this also increases the radar signature. The appearance of the ship is altered as well: more primitive intakes look like physical fan blades, others glow different colors as heat capacity increases."

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#691 - 2013-11-27 18:28:11 UTC
digitalwanderer wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just got a fourth ship to the collection, which now comprises:

1; constellation as multi purpose, a cutlass as a smaller millitia/ patrol ship, a retaliator as heavy bomber and the starfarer as the hauler of fuel and merchandise......Not putting one more cent into the game even though the idris corvette goes on sale tomorrow....Shocked

for ME it feel like "don't put all eggs in one basket" sorta thing after all this is a guy who failed to finish his last project so i will not burn money on another ship until i see how single one i invested fly and how game roll..space ship garage got me hooked for single ship but until i see moving pixels i will not take a lookse in my wallet again.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#692 - 2013-11-27 19:22:28 UTC
Crumplecorn wrote:
>Buy ships for real money
>2 years before release

I'm not sure what's more impressive, that they set a new record for a MMOG to degenerate into P2W at -2 years, or pushing the boundaries of selling non-things from the realm of things that only exist virtually into the realm of things that don't exist at all.

Considering the ships are mostly ships you get within 2-3 weeks of playing, and most only have 1 or 2 of those (and the vast majority have what's equal to a T1 frigate) I don't see it as p2w.

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.

Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#693 - 2013-11-27 19:46:38 UTC
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:

LoL.... Can someone post this to the SC forums and link me any rage/tears that may follow. I don't have access and am too cheap to spend money on a non-product just to troll.

Hang tight, this might be too complicated for you. Just read it slowly.

You don't have to pay anything to register. In fact you don't have to pay at all. Not even until the game is released. Fascinating, I know.

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.

Za'afiel
Imperceptible Bedevilment
#694 - 2013-11-27 20:47:00 UTC
It's actually pretty interesting, to defend awesomeness of a game that doesn't really exist yet. People have to put an immense trust to SC devs. It's a leap of faith, I hope that SC believers won't be disappointed.

Shoot them all! Be polite.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#695 - 2013-11-27 20:59:41 UTC
Za'afiel wrote:
It's actually pretty interesting, to defend awesomeness of a game that doesn't really exist yet. People have to put an immense trust to SC devs. It's a leap of faith, I hope that SC believers won't be disappointed.

Hey, we're EVE players. We can see what CIG promises to do with 34 million $ and what CCP has actually done with that money (Rubicon) and yet applaud CCP for a generally good expansion.

Implying Implications
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#696 - 2013-11-27 23:29:42 UTC
wow look at all these nerds buying fake spaceships for a fake game that doesn't even exist and probably never will
Lipbite
Express Hauler
#697 - 2013-11-28 03:01:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
LTI period in SC is over, I guess now it's time to back Elite: release is just 6 months away + it seems they are going to implement "costly" avatar content with their $3.5 millions budget (in expansion probably).

edit: as expected - grey market is overloaded with "WTB LTI ship with 10-30% premium" requests. CIG have published explorer concepts:
male
female
It seems for them avatar content isn't that costly after all.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#698 - 2013-11-29 07:32:46 UTC
Implying Implications wrote:
wow look at all these nerds buying fake spaceships for a fake game that doesn't even exist and probably never will

Technically the spaceships you buy in EVE aren't real either.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#699 - 2013-11-29 07:54:19 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Implying Implications wrote:

Technically the spaceships you buy in EVE aren't real either.

Also you don't owe them nor are allowed to trade them for real money.

Onyx Nyx
The Veldspar Protectorate
#700 - 2013-11-30 00:18:19 UTC
Elite: Dangerous looks like a proper space sim compared to a Pay2Win arcade space shooter like Star Citizen.

I like the ship design a lot more in Elite than in Star Citizen, at least.

I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more.

• Richard (http://www.lfgcomic.com/)