These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Star Citizen v EVE

First post First post First post
Author
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#661 - 2013-11-13 14:24:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Gothikia wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Anyone can make a lot of promises. Delivering on them is harder.

Heh, post of the year. Something CCP knows all too well.

Apparently the man with the 27 million dollars (so far) is aware.

(Snippet: Dogfighting module may be released without multiplayer in order to allow to implement multiplayer later through SC's own back end MMO server code rather than use CryEngine 3's generic multiplayer code for an early release of multiplayer)

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#662 - 2013-11-14 03:30:19 UTC
^ Me like and have 0 issues if dogfight went live without multilayer if that means game will not run on stock CryEngine.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Tanesha Kring
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#663 - 2013-11-14 08:02:20 UTC
Mina Sebiestar wrote:
^ Me like and have 0 issues if dogfight went live without multilayer if that means game will not run on stock CryEngine.

It makes sense to me as well. I take the statement to mean that the CryEngine multiplayer would by used if it was necessary to do so to meet the end of December deadline if the SC backend wasn't ready for deployment even without multiplayer. So it sounds like either way the dogfighting module will be released, even if it means a major update to port the SC backend with multiplayer a few weeks later.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#664 - 2013-11-14 14:07:39 UTC
Tanesha Kring wrote:
Mina Sebiestar wrote:

It makes sense to me as well. I take the statement to mean that the CryEngine multiplayer would by used if it was necessary to do so to meet the end of December deadline if the SC backend wasn't ready for deployment even without multiplayer. So it sounds like either way the dogfighting module will be released, even if it means a major update to port the SC backend with multiplayer a few weeks later.

The interview says the opposite, the dogfight module may be released even without multiplayer (just single player PvE) if they can't release it with SC's MMO backend multiplayer, rather than use CE3's stock multiplayer and later update it.

And it makes sense, why bother ironing the potential issues of using CE3's multiplayer when they may just wait and use their own code and put it to test right from alpha?

Tanesha Kring
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#665 - 2013-11-14 15:03:29 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:

The interview says the opposite, the dogfight module may be released even without multiplayer (just single player PvE) if they can't release it with SC's MMO backend multiplayer, rather than use CE3's stock multiplayer and later update it.

And it makes sense, why bother ironing the potential issues of using CE3's multiplayer when they may just wait and use their own code and put it to test right from alpha?

Well CR made it sound like CryEngine was still an option, but not the preferred option between it and the SC backend without initial multiplayer support. I take that to mean that even if the SC backend is not ready for rollout (even sans the multiplayer support) a dogfighting module will be released. Even if it has to be with the default CE3 code for a few weeks. Basically all angles seem to be covered.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#666 - 2013-11-16 20:33:50 UTC
Okay people, do you want a limited edition ship with LTI, even if you're not an early backer?

This is your first and last chance.

The following ships will be available, for only 24 hours, midnight to midnight PST, and every limited edition ship bought during the sale will have LTI even if you're a younger backer.

Anniversary Sale dates and details:

Monday, November 18 – ORIGIN M50
Tuesday, November 19 – ORIGIN 350R & Lightspeed Package
Wednesday, November 20 – Drake Caterpillar
Thursday, November 21 – RSI Aurora LX
Friday, November 22 – Anvil Gladiator & Aegis Retaliator (running through the weekend)
Monday, November 25 – MISC Starfarer

CR mentions that this sale with LTI is also a reaction to how people is being scammed at the "gray market" with LTI ships (not to mention the ludicrous surcharges).

Soma Khan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#667 - 2013-11-17 00:03:15 UTC
Okay people, do you want a limited edition ship with LTI, even if you're not an early backer?

This is your first and last chance.

The following ships will be available, for only 24 hours, midnight to midnight PST, and every limited edition ship bought during the sale will have LTI even if you're a younger backer.

Anniversary Sale dates and details:

Monday, November 18 – ORIGIN M50
Tuesday, November 19 – ORIGIN 350R & Lightspeed Package
Wednesday, November 20 – Drake Caterpillar
Thursday, November 21 – RSI Aurora LX
Friday, November 22 – Anvil Gladiator & Aegis Retaliator (running through the weekend)
Monday, November 25 – MISC Starfarer

CR mentions that this sale with LTI is also a reaction to how people is being scammed at the "gray market" with LTI ships (not to mention the ludicrous surcharges).

what are those spinning fans inside the nose of the hornet? isn't that thing for flying in space?
Frying Doom
#668 - 2013-11-17 01:11:31 UTC
Soma Khan wrote:
what are those spinning fans inside the nose of the hornet? isn't that thing for flying in space?

Take off and landing in an atmosphere, for example a planet or within the flight bay of a carrier.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Soma Khan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#669 - 2013-11-17 02:10:22 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Soma Khan wrote:

Take off and landing in an atmosphere, for example a planet or within the flight bay of a carrier.

but they do spin in space, just watch some of the videos they have of that craft. not trying to be an ass but that kind of thing can really break immersion. hopefully someone notices before the game goes live
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#670 - 2013-11-17 21:00:37 UTC
Soma Khan wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Soma Khan wrote:

but they do spin in space, just watch some of the videos they have of that craft. not trying to be an ass but that kind of thing can really break immersion. hopefully someone notices before the game goes live

The designer already explained what: they're there because they look cool. Yes, they make sense as a backup cooling system for atmospheric flight, but they're essentially an artistic license.

(To be fair, try to find the CCP guy who made the Paladin bastion animation and get a explanation on why it looks like it's gonna give birth or drop a log)

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#671 - 2013-11-18 21:50:31 UTC
Sale Updated: due to popular demand, the SuperHornet will also be available along the Gladiator and Retaliator starting Nov. 22 at midnight PST, and all along the weekend.

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#672 - 2013-11-18 22:18:16 UTC
>Buy ships for real money
>2 years before release

I'm not sure what's more impressive, that they set a new record for a MMOG to degenerate into P2W at -2 years, or pushing the boundaries of selling non-things from the realm of things that only exist virtually into the realm of things that don't exist at all.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Dangirdas Bachir
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#673 - 2013-11-19 09:19:08 UTC
EVE > Star Citizen

EVE EVE STARGALACTIC CITY B I T C H

Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#674 - 2013-11-19 15:07:00 UTC
This game is gonna be so awesome!!! I just spoke with my accountant, he said if I refi all my loans and wire all the cash to Chris Roberts, I can get the super limited IWIN ship. Then I can look and walk around at my IWIN ship till the game comes out! Then I can win!!! Plus, If the game doesn't come out, I still have my IWIN ship, which I can tell everyone about and it will be with me forever!!! Such an awesome deal! Can't Wait!!!

LoL.... Can someone post this to the SC forums and link me any rage/tears that may follow. I don't have access and am too cheap to spend money on a non-product just to troll.

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Dangirdas Bachir
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#675 - 2013-11-19 18:57:32 UTC
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:
This game is gonna be so awesome!!! I just spoke with my accountant, he said if I refi all my loans and wire all the cash to Chris Roberts, I can get the super limited IWIN ship. Then I can look and walk around at my IWIN ship till the game comes out! Then I can win!!! Plus, If the game doesn't come out, I still have my IWIN ship, which I can tell everyone about and it will be with me forever!!! Such an awesome deal! Can't Wait!!!

LoL.... Can someone post this to the SC forums and link me any rage/tears that may follow. I don't have access and am too cheap to spend money on a non-product just to troll.

Hahaha great, you almost pissed me off, then i realized you was just trolling the first paragraph.

EVE EVE STARGALACTIC CITY B I T C H

Yiole Gionglao
#676 - 2013-11-19 21:48:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Yiole Gionglao
Quick update!

- 28 millions reached, that unlocks a new starter ship class, the Mustang
- Stretch goal for 30 million USD will be a luxury yacht (Ish is drooling too hard to post, but also there's another reaosn why I'm here and soon you'll know)
- future stretch goals will be somehow detached from items. It doesn't takes a million to make a new ship, but that million is spent in better development and a better game
- Stretch goal for USD 31 million has been unveiled too... almost: players are being polled to ask what should be the role of the new ship.

Guess what option is winning?

Mining! (30%) Lol

Yay, dedicated miner ships for SC! Yee-haw!! Lol

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an alpha / And so it's you

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#677 - 2013-11-23 09:38:35 UTC
29 million achieved, stretch goal unlocked: More, better Squadron 42 (single player) content

30 million stretch goal: a luxury yacht will be added to game (likely will be unlocked today as the LTI bombers sale is going crazy)

31 million stretch goal (voted by the community): RSI Orion*, a dedicated mining ship

32 million stretch goal is on the vottng, so far is winning clearly the option of a dedicated salvage ship (42% of votes).

*Did that ring a bell? Blink

Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#678 - 2013-11-23 09:47:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Jandice Ymladris
31 million stretch goal (voted by the community): RSI Orion*, a dedicated mining ship

32 million stretch goal is on the vottng, so far is winning clearly the option of a dedicated salvage ship (42% of votes).

EvE infiltrated Star Citizen succesfully? Sounds like it, with those two choices we clearly blew our cover!

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#679 - 2013-11-23 10:13:11 UTC
Jandice Ymladris wrote:

EvE infiltrated Star Citizen succesfully? Sounds like it, with those two choices we clearly blew our cover!

Well, my miner alt (Yiole Gionglao) was so excited about hitting that option that it took a while to figure that she wasn't logged in to the RSI site and thus couldn't vote.

Maybe some people want to play EVE's non-core features outside of EVE; and that makes sense since EVE is quite a improvable game outside of the core and CCP is not obliging.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#680 - 2013-11-24 01:48:51 UTC
With 5 goals like "+1 ship for $1 million" Star Citizen devs started to resemble CCP which market patches with 2 ships and 4 flying suitcases as "expansions". A bit disappointing.