These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Star Citizen v EVE

First post First post First post
Author
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#461 - 2013-09-24 13:48:02 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
We recall it very differently then, I recall Hilmar asking the question if audience if they wanted that door to open and what he got was a yes.

As I said previously, I am not in favor of WiS because of the debacles that spurred before and after Incarna was launched which I think is the general consensus amongst us who doesn't want WiS and I also think that is a very fair because it was devastating for CCP and while I don't know about you, I don't want to see CCP go through that again.

That said, if CCP can and only if they can, should they re-introduce it? It really all depends on how they intend to go with the human element and if they can do it without having a Second Life in Space.

I'll just point you at the WiS thread; everything you say has been adressed many times there.

The latest news are that CCP's top brass have made their minds to not develop avatars as a part of EVE but as a separate game which they would like to develop sometime... just that's not official and likely will never be official because they are aware of the consequences.

WiS is essentially braindead, and this means that EVE will never be a complete SF simulator, rather it will remain as a spaceships & spreadsheets simulator.

I don't think simulator means what you think it means. The only thing 'EVE' that even comes close to being a simulator is EVE Valkyrie.

While internet spaceship spreadsheets are important, glorious things like the Alliance Tournament or battles like Asakai is what makes the headlines. Not your desire to play with your internet doll but there is always Second Life for you and I am sure there is someone, like you, butthurt that has made an Incarna-esque sim.

Now that you know that WiS is most likely never going to happen, isn't about time you canned this account as well and GTFO? Take raven666wings with you, you two seem to have a bit of flare between you.

Hey, I already quit the game and haven't had a recurring subscription for over a year.

But this spaceships & spreadsheets game still could be developed in ways i like, and so i am taking the chance that this account will last until past winter expansion to see wether CCP saves the day or slits its throat.

My wish list for EVE, in no particular order, is:

Casual-friendly new content
Player driven new PvE content
Soloable endgame content
Hisec endgame content
Extensive avatar customization

So what you are basically doing is just shiptoasting?

Pick any of the Korean MMOs then, I am sure at least six of the things on your wishlist is covered in some manner.

Why should i content myself with less than EVE? I've made a huge investment into this game, and will only forget about it by finding a better game or because it's dead.

The first is unlikely and the second somehow less unlikely. What?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#462 - 2013-09-24 15:52:58 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Alpheias wrote:
Take raven666wings with you, you two seem to have a bit of flare between you.

I approve Twisted lets fly off into the sunset together baby ♥ ♥ ♥
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#463 - 2013-09-25 02:19:45 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Tanesha Kring wrote:

Totally agree and that's why I said PvP and PvE first. I for one am looking forward to being able to pilot and actually crew space ships. I like space sims and combat flight sims and there hasn't been much of either that has peeked my interests in awhile. I think my sticks been mostly collecting dust since the last time I played IL-2. ;p

Heh, Il-2 is to blame for getting me hooked to/spoiled by online gaming... Lol

Note: I played Il-2 for the PvP. Recently I played Planetside 2 for the PvP. But in almost five years, I never have considered seriously to PvP in EVE. I wonder how will I feel about PvP'ing at SC, but it's unlikely if the only way to experince it is facing the serious consequences intended, permadeath included. What?

Tanesha Kring wrote:

If there's some good flight combat. Consequences be damned! Big smile

I play Ace Combat: Assault Horizon awesome flight combat simulator and gonna try War Thunder too, add me up on Steam if you wanna eat some oil and smoke and get explodeded over and over again while waiting for SC/EVR/ED Twisted
CCP Ytterbium
C C P
C C P Alliance
#464 - 2013-09-25 13:27:48 UTC
I've never played Wing Commander (blasphemy I know P), but in my youth I was highly addicted to the X-Wing, Tie-Figther, X-Wing Alliance and I-War franchises. I've also played X3: Terran Conflict (nicknamed it EVE: Offline) and can't wait for X-rebirth to come out as well.

After X-Wing Alliance, I have been waiting for good sci-fi fighter games to come out. I do hope Star Citizen to be one of thoses. it certainly looks promising, even if I'm getting old and starting to get sea sick when playing for long with rapid movement FPS / fighter game Evil(always get nauseous when playing Borderlands for instance). Yes I know, call me grampa and give me a wheelchair.

Comparing Star Citizen and EVE Online, as many people said here is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Different products, with different vision and design goals, with different game styles. One doesn't exclude the other, will certainly be still playing EVE even if Star Citizen is a tremendous success.

And I hope it is, so best of luck to their development teams. I want them to succeed because I believe we need more good sci-fi games in the market. And even if they happen to be on the exact same competing genre, I think EVE could use some honest competition. There is much to learn from other studios with other viewpoints that would bring a fresh perspective to our game - competition also is a good kick in complacency and usually forces product quality upwards (as long as you keep to your original design values not to alienate your existing player base).
Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#465 - 2013-09-25 13:32:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Graygor
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
snip

I trust CCP will be welcoming the competition from Star Citizen and then ruthlessly crushing them via the metagame.

Because that's how we eve players and our beloved roll right?

A victory launch dinner and getting them totally drunk and then slaughtering them seems to be quite popular. It will come naturally to the Scandinavian members of the team.

I believe that is the Icelandic version of letting their hair down.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#466 - 2013-09-25 13:58:56 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
I've never played Wing Commander (blasphemy I know P), but in my youth I was highly addicted to the X-Wing, Tie-Figther, X-Wing Alliance and I-War franchises. I've also played X3: Terran Conflict (nicknamed it EVE: Offline) and can't wait for X-rebirth to come out as well.

After X-Wing Alliance, I have been waiting for good sci-fi fighter games to come out. I do hope Star Citizen to be one of thoses. it certainly looks promising, even if I'm getting old and starting to get sea sick when playing for long with rapid movement FPS / fighter game Evil(always get nauseous when playing Borderlands for instance). Yes I know, call me grampa and give me a wheelchair.

Comparing Star Citizen and EVE Online, as many people said here is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Different products, with different vision and design goals, with different game styles. One doesn't exclude the other, will certainly be still playing EVE even if Star Citizen is a tremendous success.

And I hope it is, so best of luck to their development teams. I want them to succeed because I believe we need more good sci-fi games in the market. And even if they happen to be on the exact same competing genre, I think EVE could use some honest competition. There is much to learn from other studios with other viewpoints that would bring a fresh perspective to our game - competition also is a good kick in complacency and usually forces product quality upwards (as long as you keep to your original design values not to alienate your existing player base).

Well, in the case of people who wants to be Luke Skywalker (i.e: a disctinct, unique human being) and not an anonymous X-Wing (i.e., a disposable piece of hardware), EVE has been teasing and letting down the existing player base for a while... P

The point is not wether SC and EVE are similar. They are not, but to many people with time constraints, it's going to be one or the other... thus the competition for a certain slice of EVE players.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#467 - 2013-09-25 14:00:15 UTC
you are not a real star fighter unless you played mantis I remember my dad had to go out any buy a special video card. this was was new because it included 3d! that was big back in 1992!

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Pandemic Horde
#468 - 2013-09-25 14:38:25 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Well, in the case of people who wants to be Luke Skywalker (i.e: a disctinct, unique human being) and not an anonymous X-Wing (i.e., a disposable piece of hardware), EVE has been teasing and letting down the existing player base for a while... P

The point is not wether SC and EVE are similar. They are not, but to many people with time constraints, it's going to be one or the other... thus the competition for a certain slice of EVE players.

I intend to give Star Citizen a whirl once it is out, I just refuse to pledge money or think that Star Citizen is better than sex.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#469 - 2013-09-25 16:27:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Micheal Dietrich
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

I remember all of the the Star Wars flight sims. More specifically I remember a mission where you have to fly in as a A-wing and scout imperial warships as they show. Of course they are all shooting at you but A-wings are fast and can dodge everything. Then the craziest thing happened; some of those shots hit other ships and before I knew it the imperial army was having a civil war in my game. I took out 8 star destroyers just by being present.

As for SC, the other my buddy, who is also cancelling Eve, was saying how he had the urge to play a space game but he didn't want to play eve (nothing wrong with you guys, we're just burned out). I mentioned X rebirth and another game and he's all saying that he wants a multiplayer so I just happen to mention SC. I also said that it's nothing like Eve.
Long story short we spent like an hour on the website staring at ships and some youtube walk throughs and he's excited about the game now. And he also agrees that it's not like Eve. So you guys will probably see us there when it comes out in 2 years.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

ISD Gallifreyan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#470 - 2013-09-25 17:46:44 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Gallifreyan
Multiple posts have been removed for various forum rules from
Quote:
2. Be respectful toward others at all times.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to be courteous when disagreeing with others.

To
Quote:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

Quote:
5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

Quote:
11. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a petition under the Community & Forums Category.

Keep the discussion about the topic, not the people having the discussion.
This will be a final warning.

ISD Gallifreyan

Lt. Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCL)

Interstellar Services Department

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#471 - 2013-09-25 18:06:45 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Ok ok!!! Stop hittng the blind man!!! Oops I am guilty! I confess!!!!

*signs blank sheet where all crimes committed can be written
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#472 - 2013-09-25 19:11:15 UTC
I refuse to think that playing SC is better than not having sex and playing old games in old computers. Oh wait.. no I don't.
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Pandemic Horde
#473 - 2013-09-25 22:02:31 UTC
raven666wings wrote:
I refuse to think that playing SC is better than not having sex and playing old games in old computers. Oh wait.. no I don't.

I hesitate to ask but this is another one of your mad ravings, yes?

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#474 - 2013-09-26 00:48:11 UTC
I also play Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit if you'd like to get rammed/emp'ed/spike stripped and busted you can add me on Steam too! I know i know... EA game Twisted but not every EA game is bad. NFS best racing series imo and coming from them! If the new EA VP and EP help EVE games deliver some of this entertainment then not everything is lost.
Tanesha Kring
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#475 - 2013-09-26 09:29:27 UTC
I play Ace Combat: Assault Horizon awesome flight combat simulator and gonna try War Thunder too, add me up on Steam if you wanna eat some oil and smoke and get explodeded over and over again while waiting for SC/EVR/ED Twisted[/quote]

I did pick up War Thunder. I get the impression that the arcade style play is meant for a mouse which is kind of disappointing but I refuse to fly third person with a mouse so I suck. lol
Tanesha Kring
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#476 - 2013-09-26 09:38:00 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
you are not a real star fighter unless you played mantis I remember my dad had to go out any buy a special video card. this was was new because it included 3d! that was big back in 1992!

Well just about every 3D game those days required purchasing an after market video card. I still remember a friend of mine back in the mid nineties trying to convince the local mom and pops to start stocking high-end parts and selling gaming rigs, but back then they just thought of it as a niche market and no-one would pay that much for custom systems just to play games. It's funny, but now that's the floor models and most people build their own even if they barely know what they are doing.
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#477 - 2013-09-26 16:15:10 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Tanesha Kring wrote:

I did pick up War Thunder. I get the impression that the arcade style play is meant for a mouse which is kind of disappointing but I refuse to fly third person with a mouse so I suck. lol

You can always use a usb dualshock or hotas controller, assign the x/y axis to the analog stick and the steering/thrust/brakes/gear/weapons/locking to the rest of the buttons. This way you can turn the mouse aim off, leaving the crosshair in the tip of the aircraft's nose and just shoot in the direction it's facing Lol That'z how I roll.

Edit: I played the game for a bit in arcade mode and now see what you meant, unless you're using a mouse it's very difficult to hit others Lol which kinda sucks. Guess I'm sticking to AC:AH for flight sim fun until SC's dogfighting module comes out in 2 months.
Luca Lure
Obertura
#478 - 2013-09-28 16:22:29 UTC
I used to play Elite and it's sequals. Heard David Braben is busy with an online version.

――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#479 - 2013-10-03 03:16:54 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Backed Star Citizen and found out my Geforce GT 330M doesn't support DX11 so cant run CryEngine 3 lol Fortunately CoolGuy McNeish shared a way to bypass the DX11 requirement and run the CryEngine 3 using this DX10.1 Warp feature that seems to emulate the hardware required found only in newer DX11 chips. Will definitely have to get a new computer to play the final version.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#480 - 2013-10-03 06:39:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
raven666wings wrote:
Backed Star Citizen and found out my Geforce GT 330M doesn't support DX11 so cant run CryEngine 3 lol Fortunately CoolGuy McNeish shared a way to bypass the DX11 requirement and run the CryEngine 3 using this DX10.1 Warp feature that seems to emulate the hardware required found only in newer DX11 chips. Will definitely have to get a new computer to play the final version.

One of the reasons why i'm not bothered with SC's requirements is that by late 2014, likely my rig will need or will already have got a replacement... Lol

(Anyway, I can't run the hangar module, and shall check it when I feel like messing with software again... I really hate it when computers just decide to don't do what they are supposed to do)