These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Tech 1 Battleships - Caldari

First post First post
Author
Zetak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#581 - 2013-05-06 07:55:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Zetak
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:
Zetak wrote:
*edit*
It would be better if the range bonus the raven has would be swapped with the expl velocity bonus the typhoon has, this way both ships would benefit for the better. That i would change.

So, essentially, you think Raven is fine, except for that small part about turning a Raven into a Typhoon :D

Anyway, I've been following this discussion, but I can't say I agree with comments about Raven being weak - with the increased velocity bonus for missiles, buffed cruises and MJD, the ship can pull off some pretty crazy stunts that Typhoon will have a hard time matching. Yes, Typhoon makes for a vastly superior torpedo boat, but it'll be long dead before it catches the Raven.

That said, with increased costs for the T1 battleships, I'm opting for CNR - more dps and better tank for slightly increased cost, it's a no-brainer.

Bucca Zerodyme wrote:
The same goes for Marauders, every Marauder get a dmg-Bonus only the Golem dont get it.

You might want to check that again. Just because the bonuses don't increase the paper dps, it doesn't mean that the actual damage application doesn't go up. If you don't believe me, feel free to pit an untrained Golem with no target painters against a trained one with 2 painters and see how it ends.

To be honest, I would be in peace if the bonuses would remain the same, though I had the best intentions promoting the swap.

If I could choose, i would give shield boost bonus to the raven, not expl velocity, it is much better suited to the ship. It is very hard to justify, that if i want an efficent shield tank, I needed to spend hundreds of millions (or billions) of isk to get one lousy shield booster module.
Zetak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#582 - 2013-05-06 08:35:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Zetak
I wanted to add my thoughts about the rokh too. It's weapon layout is intact, which is not good imo. The hyperion had a change from 8 turret to six turret, and its bonus change from 25% to 50% dam bonus. with this in mind it puts the rokh in a disadvantage. since lesser turret means less cpu+powergrid usage, less ammo consumption less energy usage. the slot layout needs changing too.

So for the sake of common sense the amount of turrets should be reduced to six, and one high slot must be moved to the med slot, one of its bonus changed to 50% dam bonus. I would dare say all of the rokh pilots would be glad.

For bringing up an example: I recently missioned up my standing with an npc corp, and i used naturally the drake. You made the same changes i mentioned above, and i honestly say it was for the better.
Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#583 - 2013-05-06 09:45:03 UTC
Another caldari nerf:
"Ships

The single turret slot has been removed from the Phoenix."
:(

Josilin du Guesclin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#584 - 2013-05-06 10:04:09 UTC
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:

Anyway, I've been following this discussion, but I can't say I agree with comments about Raven being weak - with the increased velocity bonus for missiles, buffed cruises and MJD, the ship can pull off some pretty crazy stunts that Typhoon will have a hard time matching. Yes, Typhoon makes for a vastly superior torpedo boat, but it'll be long dead before it catches the Raven.

Assuming that a CM Typhoon can't fit similar gear, and that range over 150km is actually useful. Bear in mind that even with two plates a Typhoon is as agile as a Raven, and even with three armour rigs it is very slightly faster. The Raven is slow, clumsy, and has the signature of a small moon, all of which are poor characteristics for a sniper in these days of near-instant in-combat scanning.
Quote:

That said, with increased costs for the T1 battleships, I'm opting for CNR - more dps and better tank for slightly increased cost, it's a no-brainer.
Absolutely.
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:
]
Bucca Zerodyme wrote:
The same goes for Marauders, every Marauder get a dmg-Bonus only the Golem dont get it.

You might want to check that again. Just because the bonuses don't increase the paper dps, it doesn't mean that the actual damage application doesn't go up. If you don't believe me, feel free to pit an untrained Golem with no target painters against a trained one with 2 painters and see how it ends.
This only applies when painters mean something, which is not always. It's also the only Marauder that needs particular mods to get its bonus. IMO it's best replaced with a Typhoon-style buff, which is clearly CCP's new version of a 'tracking' bonus for missiles.
Josilin du Guesclin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#585 - 2013-05-06 10:06:34 UTC
Naomi Knight wrote:
Another caldari nerf:
"Ships

Yeah, saw that. As having a blaster in one slot can actually improve DPS in some limited cases (despite the lack of hull bonuses to it) this is a slight nerf.
Deerin
East Trading Co Ltd
#586 - 2013-05-06 10:25:23 UTC
Unseen Spectre wrote:
General PvE Phoon vs Raven comparison

Nice analysis. Though for PvE many will prefer cruise over torps.

The way I see is: Raven produces more raw damage but applies less of it, Phoon produces less raw damage but applies more of it. Those 4 (even 5) damage mods at lows do increase dps a lot. The low slots for phoon are mainly used for tank and it can spare only 2 (maybe 3) for damage mods. Phoon can use TP's in meds for increasing the application ratio.

For PvP I believe phoon is going to get more use than raven. Slot layout and bonus is better suited for that role. For PvE we'll see rigor ravens with a target painter on their new med slot.
Zetak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#587 - 2013-05-06 12:12:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Zetak
Deerin wrote:
Unseen Spectre wrote:
General PvE Phoon vs Raven comparison

Nice analysis. Though for PvE many will prefer cruise over torps.

The way I see is: Raven produces more raw damage but applies less of it, Phoon produces less raw damage but applies more of it. Those 4 (even 5) damage mods at lows do increase dps a lot. The low slots for phoon are mainly used for tank and it can spare only 2 (maybe 3) for damage mods. Phoon can use TP's in meds for increasing the application ratio.

For PvP I believe phoon is going to get more use than raven. Slot layout and bonus is better suited for that role. For PvE we'll see rigor ravens with a target painter on their new med slot.

It actually does not produce more raw damage. Don't forget that while thecnically it can fit more damage mod, the cap management modules takes away the ravens freedom what the phoon has. because unless you have a 300 mill+ - 1billion+ shield module, you have to equip low/med cap modules. target painter falls out (phoon can equip 2 with ease, and you have to stick with 4 damage module, and the fourth damage mod gives around 30% of the normal bonus listed on the module. now both ships have same rof bonus, but phoon have exp velocity bonus, and that means extra damage via precision.

Now if the raven would have a different bonus, shield boost for example as i said in my previous post, a smaller (large) navy shield booster would be enough, and more slots/rigs would be free for utility and damage modules. while saving a billion isk in the process
Deerin
East Trading Co Ltd
#588 - 2013-05-06 12:42:11 UTC
Zetak wrote:

It actually does not produce more raw damage. Don't forget that while thecnically it can fit more damage mod, the cap management modules takes away the ravens freedom what the phoon has. because unless you have a 300 mill+ - 1billion+ shield module, you have to equip low/med cap modules. target painter falls out (phoon can equip 2 with ease, and you have to stick with 4 damage module, and the fourth damage mod gives around 30% of the normal bonus listed on the module. now both ships have same rof bonus, but phoon have exp velocity bonus, and that means extra damage via precision.

Now if the raven would have a different bonus, shield boost for example as i said in my previous post, a smaller (large) navy shield booster would be enough, and more slots/rigs would be free for utility and damage modules. while saving a billion isk in the process

You really don't need cap modules on lows for basic PvE needs. A cap booster is usually enough.

Deerin wrote:
For PvE we'll see rigor ravens with a target painter on their new med slot.

[Raven, Rigor Raven]
Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II

Domination X-Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Shield Boost Amplifier II
100MN Afterburner II
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 800
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Cruise Missile
[empty high slot]

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Core Defense Capacitor Safeguard I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

Use furies for BS, precission(or navy....they deal about same for low sig targets) for everything else.
Zetak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#589 - 2013-05-06 12:47:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Zetak
Deerin wrote:
Zetak wrote:

You really don't need cap modules on lows for basic PvE needs. A cap booster is usually enough.

Deerin wrote:
For PvE we'll see rigor ravens with a target painter on their new med slot.

[Raven, Rigor Raven]
Damage Control II

100MN Afterburner II

[empty high slot]

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

Use furies for BS, precission(or navy....they deal about same for low sig targets) for everything else.

Ummm. why on earth would I fit a cap booster for pve? An ancillary shield booster+ a regular medium shield booster maximum. The 101 of caldari ship fitting or any ship fitting is that you don't use any cap booser for pve. not to mention that where would i put those 800 cap charges? In my roughly 600 m3 cargo bay? that is fairly unrealistic
Deerin
East Trading Co Ltd
#590 - 2013-05-06 13:19:51 UTC
Zetak wrote:
The 101 of caldari ship fitting or any ship fitting is that you don't use any cap booser for pve. not to mention that where would i put those 800 cap charges? In my roughly 600 m3 cargo bay? that is fairly unrealistic

The 102 of PvE fitting dictates that if you kill enemies fast enough, cap boosters won't even be necessary :P I've used it on mael for a long time without any problems. Have 15 cap boosters in cargo bay and fill remaining with missiles. With 3 reloads + 1 full booster you have more than enough time to clear rooms.

With the new MJD I think it can be much easier. I'm sure it can be implemented to that fit.
Bucca Zerodyme
Good For Nothing Corporation
#591 - 2013-05-06 14:57:53 UTC
Deerin wrote:

[Raven, Rigor Raven]
Damage Control II

100MN Afterburner II

[empty high slot]

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

WTF is that!

What is this fit to be good against?
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#592 - 2013-05-06 16:08:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Hagika
PVE is where the Raven is actually viable, this was not the issue. It was in PVP where the ships sucks miserably, and does not see use because of it.

The Raven suffers in pvp because it already have a weak tank and in order to hit with missiles in any shape or form, you have to loose rig slots to fit missile rigs instead of tank rigs, which is crucial to the ravens survivability.

People are not going to fit 5 damage mods on the bottom realistically, because you definitely need a damage control. So 4 at best and the diminishing returns is already bad with a 4th. So while the Raven enjoys slight better paper dps, the Phoon will be able to match and better it with the bonus, and be able to use its lows for tank and actually is still faster than the raven, while having a slight better tank. Now factor in the sig radius and the phoon tank is substantially better.

For cruise and torps the raven does get a bonus range, but cruise distance on a phoon is still over 150km and torp range is near 20km.

Shorter range but able to apply torp damage better, on top of the fact, that in pvp, a prober will put you right on top of the enemy negating the whole, raven range bonus. The phoon realistically will be right on top of it and its game over.

Also the phoon still gets a slight better drone bay and bandwith. Making up some lost dps in drone damage.

Its pretty sad when an armor ship with 2 plates is faster than a shield ship.

For the few who claim the missile buffs that will happen will improve the raven, you seem to forget that what ever missile changes improves the raven, they improve the phoon even more.

P.S- Let us not forget that the Phoon has a ton of mid slots to make it work even better, multiple painters or webs, and can even shield tank and use low for max dps and speed. Which of course it allows the phoon to run down the slower and less agile raven incase it tries to run..
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#593 - 2013-05-06 16:10:32 UTC
Bucca Zerodyme wrote:
Deerin wrote:

[Raven, Rigor Raven]
Damage Control II

100MN Afterburner II

[empty high slot]

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

WTF is that!

What is this fit to be good against?

My guess is that they posted a pve fit, during a pvp discussion and was like... Raven is fine L2P.
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#594 - 2013-05-06 16:12:14 UTC
Josilin du Guesclin wrote:
Naomi Knight wrote:
Another caldari nerf:
"Ships

Yeah, saw that. As having a blaster in one slot can actually improve DPS in some limited cases (despite the lack of hull bonuses to it) this is a slight nerf.

If it does not see another launcher slot, then its just another slap to caldari pilots.
Betting that it is just another nerf that will stay.
Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#595 - 2013-05-06 21:13:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Jayrendo Karr
The Raven in summary

Cons
Huge Sig
Slow as balls
weak tank
Weak dps
Delayed Damage
Small drone bay

Pros
Long range
Neat looking
Grunnax Aurelius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#596 - 2013-05-06 23:12:17 UTC
Raven:

The (cavalry)Raven is becoming the Caldari attack battleship. Its bonuses were a natural fit already, and although its giving up some base hitpoints, the substantial increase to speed and added mid should open up plenty of new opportunities for Caldari missile pilots without hurting anyone who was already happy using it.

Its also gaining power grid and CPU output so that torp focused fits and fits that want to use propulsion mods are more easily accessible. Keep in mind that we will be taking a more detailed look at battleship sized missile systems in the near future.

Caldari Battleship Skill Bonuses:
+5% bonus to Cruise and Torpedo Launcher rate of fire
+10% bonus to Cruise Missile Torpedo Velocity

Slot layout: 7H(-1), 7M(+1), 5L; 4 turrets , 6 launchers
Fittings: 11000 PWG(+1500), 750(+50) CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 7000(-500) / 5800(-841) / 6400(-241)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / recharge per second) : 5500(+187.5) / 1160s / 4.74
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 113(+19) / .12(-.008) / 99300000 / 16.52s (-1.1s)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 50(-25) / 75
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 75km / 85 / 7
Sensor strength: 22 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 420(-50)

Good Job CCP Rise its a piece of Shyte!!!

Raven

+10% bonus to Cruise Missile Torpedo Velocity (Possibly change its to a 7.5% Shield Boost Amount per level or just leave bonus as is)

Slot layout: 7H(-1), 7M(+1), 5L; 4 turrets , 7(+1) launchers
Fittings: 11000 PWG(+1500), 800(+100) CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 7500 / 5800(-841) / 6400(-241)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / recharge per second) : 5500(+187.5) / 1160s / 4.74
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 120(+26) / .12(-.008) / 99300000 / 16.52s (-1.1s)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 80(+5)km / 100(+15) / 7
Signature radius: 400(-70)

There Raven relatively fix and good for both PvE and PvP, more shields, more launchers, more speed, more target range, more scan resolution, less signature radius.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342042&find=unread

Kenshi Hanshin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#597 - 2013-05-06 23:38:35 UTC
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Raven:

The (cavalry)Raven is becoming the Caldari attack battleship. Its bonuses were a natural fit already, and although its giving up some base hitpoints, the substantial increase to speed and added mid should open up plenty of new opportunities for Caldari missile pilots without hurting anyone who was already happy using it.

Its also gaining power grid and CPU output so that torp focused fits and fits that want to use propulsion mods are more easily accessible. Keep in mind that we will be taking a more detailed look at battleship sized missile systems in the near future.

Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 113(+19) / .12(-.008) / 99300000 / 16.52s (-1.1s)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 75km / 85 / 7

Raven

+10% bonus to Cruise Missile Torpedo Velocity (Possibly change its to a 7.5% Shield Boost Amount per level or just leave bonus as is)

Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 120(+26) / .12(-.008) / 99300000 / 16.52s (-1.1s)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 80(+5)km / 100(+15) / 7

There Raven relatively fix and good for both PvE and PvP, more shields, more launchers, more speed, more target range, more scan resolution, less signature radius.

That isn't a bad proposal for the stats. Though I would argue that Caldari Sig should drop some more or Minmatar needs to increase.
Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#598 - 2013-05-06 23:59:47 UTC
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Raven:

Raven

That isn't a bad proposal for the stats. Though I would argue that Caldari Sig should drop some more or Minmatar needs to increase.

still don't get why the raven needs more PG though.. and 7 launchers on the normal raven.. idk, a bit much maybe?
Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#599 - 2013-05-07 00:09:34 UTC
Gimme more Cynos wrote:
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Raven:

Raven

still don't get why the raven needs more PG though.. and 7 launchers on the normal raven.. idk, a bit much maybe?

Maybe give the standard the shield boost bonus and 6 launchers, then add another launcher and 25-50% velocity/flight time role bonus for navy raven?
Ranamar
Nobody in Local
Deepwater Hooligans
#600 - 2013-05-07 00:23:09 UTC
The new Raven is actually surprisingly zippy for a battleship, especially since it doesn't tend to be plated. You can get over 1000m/s with just a MWD and good navigation skills, although, admittedly, it only runs for a minute or two.

I do think that the Raven is going to be better with torpedoes because of the range/speed boost to them, while the Typhoon does amazing things with cruise missiles (140km with good skills and faction ammo ought to be enough, right?), though. Unfortunately, you'll probably need a web/paint buddy with the Raven because of the massive explosion radius of torpedoes. Will be good against battleships, I expect, in any event.