These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Tech 1 Battleships - Caldari

First post First post
Author
Karig'Ano Keikira
Tax Cheaters
#541 - 2013-05-01 08:03:35 UTC
--> The fact that a Naga can out damage a rokh is hilarious and the rokh is just sitting sadly in the deep dark corners of a station hangar.

While it is true that Rokh dps is kinda crappy, I wouldn't agree it sucks - it is designed to be fleet ship and it works good as one - what is lacks in dps, it makes up for with massive buffer and resistance bonuses that make it even tougher in logistics heavy environment (for example large scale fleet combat). While naga might be better dps wise and in small gangs, rokhs should perform better in large fleets simple due to their ability to outlast incoming damage much better.

It is raven that bugs me however - torp fitted, it is direct competition to blaster naga or talos and cruise fitted it is direct competition to rokh or other long range battleships; and imo it fails miserably in both situations - vs blaster naga, it produces similar dps (with much worse damage application and similar range) while fielding similar tank and much worse mobility while vs rokh or other long ranged bs, it does project ok dps at massive range (after cruise buff), but its damage application is still kinda poor (especially with furies and it needs them for decent damage) and its tank is severely lacking vs fleet battleships
Mirala Nodoka
SilfMeg Mining and Transportation Co
#542 - 2013-05-01 11:31:32 UTC
Quote:
It is raven that bugs me however - torp fitted, it is direct competition to blaster naga or talos and cruise fitted it is direct competition to rokh or other long range battleships; and imo it fails miserably in both situations - vs blaster naga, it produces similar dps (with much worse damage application and similar range) while fielding similar tank and much worse mobility while vs rokh or other long ranged bs, it does project ok dps at massive range (after cruise buff), but its damage application is still kinda poor (especially with furies and it needs them for decent damage) and its tank is severely lacking vs fleet battleships

Lets look at this assertion.

Tank
Shield 7000(Raven) 2160(Naga)
Armor 5800(Raven) 1575(Naga)

In shields, the Raven (New Version) has over 3 times the tank of a Naga.
In Armor, almost 4 times.

The Naga is indeed much more mobile at 195, but the Raven will have a Speed Buff and will have a speef of 113.
Indeed, the BC is much more mobile.

Then we have selectable Damage Types. The Raven can Select Damage types as it wishes.
The Naga is stuck with its Hybrid-Based Damage Types.

-

For Torpedoes we will have to see what will happen in the future.
A possible change to torpedoes could make the Raven OP in the brawler setting.

But with the new Cruise Missiles buffs, which allow Cruise Missiles more, faster and better damage application, one on one, a Raven should rip a Naga or Talos to shreds.

-

In Slots, a Naga has an 8/6/3 Setup
The Raven an 7/7/5.
This allows a Raven Pilot a much broader setup and much more flexibility.

-
Kenshi Hanshin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#543 - 2013-05-01 14:46:10 UTC
Mirala Nodoka wrote:
Quote:

Tank

The Naga is indeed much more mobile at 195, but the Raven will have a Speed Buff and will have a speef of 113.

Then we have selectable Damage Types. The Raven can Select Damage types as it wishes.

-

But with the new Cruise Missiles buffs, which allow Cruise Missiles more, faster and better damage application, one on one, a Raven should rip a Naga or Talos to shreds.

-

The Raven an 7/7/5.

-

You don't fly Caldari ships do you? The Raven has always had a crap-tank. This is further pronounced when you throw the terrible damage application of missiles in too. The unacceptably poor tank-gank characteristics of the Raven resulted in its glaring lack of use in PvP.

As to your comparison, I would hope that the BS had a larger tank than a 'glass-cannon' ship like the Naga. The issue that we are talking about is damage application. The Raven's cruise and torps do not apply damage nearly as efficiently under any realistic situation. Even with a buff to the base damage of cruise missiles, the damage application is still crap.

Remember missiles are affected by both the velocity and sig radius of the target in ratio with the missile's explosion velocity and radius. These two factors inherently put missiles on a sub-par ground compared to turrets. Either a high enough speed or a small enough sig and missile applied damage is negligible.

The naga doesn't have these issues. Hybrids have instant damage application. If it hits the damage applied will always be full-damage for the turrets that hit. Turrets only have to worry about their range and tracking. Missiles for comparison have to worry about range, target speed, target signature size and delayed alpha. Doesn't look very even now does it?

The Raven needs bonuses or a role bonus that enhances damage application. Which would set it apart and give it a niche role over the Typhoon.
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#544 - 2013-05-01 15:30:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Hagika
Mirala Nodoka wrote:
Quote:

Tank

-

-

The Raven an 7/7/5.

-

The Raven will not be overpowered in a brawler setting even after changes considering the Phoon will apply damage alot better.

At 113 speed, its really not fast and has the sig of a moon.

I would seriously hope a battleship could rip a battle cruiser to shreds. Its a battlecruiser. The problem is with a battleships, the tank is sub par to the other battleships and even if they fix torps to be better, the raven will be out classed by the phoon with either weapon system.
That includes hitting smaller targets as well.

The raven just took a reduction in drone use and will still have to sacrifice tank in order to use the painters and webs to hit.
The Phoon gets enough low slots to have a solid tank, and great dps, all the while having free mides to do what ever. Oh and the capability to use larger drones for even more dps.

You did notice how the raven and phoon will have the same launcher numbers right with the changes to the phoon.

Also the phoon gets a far better sig and still is faster.

So lets us add this up shall we? Raven, gets a range bonus and another mid to help its already very weak tank.

Phoon gets every other advantage aside from range and a bonus to apply damage more.

I wonder what is going to be used......Winmatar wins again.
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#545 - 2013-05-01 15:34:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Hagika
Karig'Ano Keikira wrote:
--> The fact that a Naga can out damage a rokh is hilarious and the rokh is just sitting sadly in the deep dark corners of a station hangar.

While it is true that Rokh dps is kinda crappy, I wouldn't agree it sucks - it is designed to be fleet ship and it works good as one - what is lacks in dps, it makes up for with massive buffer and resistance bonuses that make it even tougher in logistics heavy environment (for example large scale fleet combat). While naga might be better dps wise and in small gangs, rokhs should perform better in large fleets simple due to their ability to outlast incoming damage much better.

The rohk really needs an increase in damage, its already taking a tank loss because CCP got this crazy idea to do a wide spread ridiculous tank nerf and a few of the ships it will affect are already not worth flying.
Zetak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#546 - 2013-05-03 09:27:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Zetak
Imo the scorpion should have more drones. That would balance its weakness in damage. I would consider turning the ecm burst bonus to somekind drone bonus (speed+hp). I wouldn't give the drone damage bonus though since it would be a broken scopenstein (neut in the high ecm to the mid and low, drone to attack).

Making the scorp more drone focused would be the perfect answer to the damage issue, because boy... the 4 launcher/turret is nothing.
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#547 - 2013-05-03 16:49:46 UTC
Hmm so many pages of comments and concerns, yet no CCP response.

Pretty disturbing that the people who play the game most and constantly use these ships and weapons on a daily basis are not being responded too about their concerns.

I see people on the other topics concerning battleships are generally happy with the changes of their non broken ships, yet almost no one here is.

Wonder when these insufficient changes go through, how long will it take for them to go back over and and fix the real problems and not band aid them to calling it a job well done. More thank likely years again.

Looks like Caldari pilots will be using the Phoon to get their missile drug fix.
Aglais
Ice-Storm
#548 - 2013-05-03 17:06:34 UTC
So I've seen the battleship price change, and in conjunction with that thread I must say this.

The Raven is now utterly horrible. It is a huge investment for a ship that has no staying power whatsoever, isn't fast enough to take advantage of it's "attack" role, and just in general does not have a good blend of attack, defense and mobility stats.
Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#549 - 2013-05-03 18:05:26 UTC
Glad to see ccp stick to the old style keeping caldari battleships useless for pvp,thou the rokh nerf is so awesome ,but it seems too little to make the ship useless, you can do it better Fozzie. It has too much pg for a caldari boat what about -1500 base pg?
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#550 - 2013-05-03 21:28:40 UTC
Naomi Knight wrote:
Glad to see ccp stick to the old style keeping caldari battleships useless for pvp,thou the rokh nerf is so awesome ,but it seems too little to make the ship useless, you can do it better Fozzie. It has too much pg for a caldari boat what about -1500 base pg?

Yeah prices have already gone up, this is ridiculous.

I think Rise and Fozzie are avoiding the other pages to stay away from the crapstorm they would get from responding.
Trolly McForumalt
Doomheim
#551 - 2013-05-03 21:37:48 UTC
I doubt any devs are still reading these (especially the Caldari thread) but might as well post something to at least vent a little.

Scorpion: Terrible. Ok so we can armor tank it now with an extra low slot. Do we really need a BS-sized ECM boat? With the increased mineral cost I don't see the Scorp getting used. Instead turn the Scorpion into a missile based combat BS with a resistance bonus and missile bonus (not range!). Will need balanced with the SNI in mind.

Raven: Clearly an inferior hull to the Typhoon. The adjustments to tank and mobility don't seem sufficient. And no CCP response to any of the concerns. Awesome. A couple things can be done: add a launcher hard point or change the range bonus to a damage bonus. Again needs to be balanced with the CNR in mind (the SNI and CNR could either be changed now or left for a later pass).

Rokh: Not sure. The 1% might make a big difference or suck hard. My biggest issue with the Rokh is that it isn't 150m better than the Naga. Which leads to...

ABCs: An utter failure of balance. Couple things can be done: remove two turrets or remove their ability to fit large turrets and boost other stats appropriately.

I dunno. People may hate these ideas. Those that love the Scorpion or ABCs in their current state or even love the fact that you can make a sandwich before the first cruise missile volley hits your target at max range when using a Raven.

But this statement bothered me:
'I've been watching the other threads as well, there just doesn't seem to be as much to comment on in the others. I'll go do a lap through them now to make sure I haven't missed anything big.' -CCP Rise

The Caldari BS line arguably needed the most work with only the Rokh seemingly in any sort of balance with the other races. Yet the changes were weak and the dev communication the least of any of the threads.

People stopped posting and discussing anything because they knew no one was paying attention.
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#552 - 2013-05-03 21:49:12 UTC
I would like the rohk get an effective dps bonus by raising the range bonus to a ridiculous level (140km + with regular antimatter) that way it doesn't necessarily out damage the naga but it has a much better range damage can be applied at.

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#553 - 2013-05-04 04:45:48 UTC
I started learning missile skills on my main in hopes caldari would get a well needed buff, but it seems i will be learning Winmatar BS to fly the phoon.

Cause I just wasted 2 months learning torps and cruise to t2

Least I can use bombers better now. Though I wish they would be able to use cruise missiles again. I rather liked the old version, aside from not being able to warp while cloaked.

With the new cruise, they would be awesome.
Nikuno
Atomic Heroes
#554 - 2013-05-04 07:40:44 UTC
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:
The naga doesn't have these issues. Hybrids have instant damage application. If it hits the damage applied will always be full-damage for the turrets that hit. Turrets only have to worry about their range and tracking. Missiles for comparison have to worry about range, target speed, target signature size and delayed alpha. Doesn't look very even now does it?

Not true. The turrets have a sig res attribute. If the sig res of the target is smaller than the sig res of the turret then a smaller amount of damage is applied. If you haven't grasped that yet then you aren't qualified to make comments on their efficacy.
Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#555 - 2013-05-04 07:50:07 UTC
Nikuno wrote:
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:

Not true. The turrets have a sig res attribute. If the sig res of the target is smaller than the sig res of the turret then a smaller amount of damage is applied. If you haven't grasped that yet then you aren't qualified to make comments on their efficacy.

omg
the clueless...
Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#556 - 2013-05-04 10:04:55 UTC
after 28 pages I STILL haven't heard whether the thing that says the scorp has 110 base scan res on the first post is right or not.

Is it a typo? Is it the scorp's new scanres? Because right now the scorp has 75 base scan res. (Horrendously low)

Is it really 110 now? You didn't mark any increase on the first post.

I will keep posting this until someone answers tbh...

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

Josilin du Guesclin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#557 - 2013-05-04 10:22:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Josilin du Guesclin
Hagika wrote:

Looks like Caldari pilots will be using the Phoon to get their missile drug fix.

I never liked the Raven's looks, while the 'Phoon, while definitely unbeautiful, has a certain brutal charm. This being the case, I'm not too upset, but I'd be a lot happier if the Raven was equally attractive (statistics-wise) - that way I'd have a shield boat option if/when armour was a poor choice.
Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#558 - 2013-05-04 10:41:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Naomi Knight
Josilin du Guesclin wrote:
Hagika wrote:

I never liked the Raven's looks, while the 'Phoon, while definitely unbeautiful, has a certain brutal charm. This being the case, I'm not too upset, but I'd be a lot happier if the Raven was equally attractive - that way I'd have a shield boat option if/when armour was a poor choice.

actually the typhoon isnt a bad shield boat too , you can fit lows with dmg and speed mods which would make it an awesome kiter while still able to fit 4 meds for shield tank 90k+ ehp with pretty good resists,and maybe you could bring it to a roaming due to its good agility and speed not like the raven, the typhoon is just superior to a raven in nearly every possible situation , oh and probably it will be cheaper too ,cause winmatar has that advantage too
Bucca Zerodyme
Good For Nothing Corporation
#559 - 2013-05-04 11:42:20 UTC
Warde Guildencrantz wrote:
after 28 pages I STILL haven't heard whether the thing that says the scorp has 110 base scan res on the first post is right or not.

Is it a typo? Is it the scorp's new scanres? Because right now the scorp has 75 base scan res. (Horrendously low)

Just ckecked Duality, Scorpion has 75mm Scan Resolution.
Josilin du Guesclin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#560 - 2013-05-04 12:37:37 UTC
Bucca Zerodyme wrote:
Warde Guildencrantz wrote:

Just ckecked Duality, Scorpion has 75mm Scan Resolution.

That's truly awful. 110mm is pretty bad for an ECM ship (and not even stand-out for battleships), but 75mm is terrible, even for a battleship. By the time the Scorpion has locked anything any passing Falcon will have jammed it out and it won't be locking anything, ever.