These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

People who ride bicycles (on roads) should be run down

Author
Renan Ruivo
Hengetools Consumer Products S.A.
#61 - 2011-10-17 05:45:32 UTC
Sir Substance wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:
but i don't have driving licenses for either a car or a bike

...

And i won't pay a bus ticket to go a distance i can go in my bicycle


Perhaps you should. Since you've never been trained, you have no idea about how to safely (not just safely for yourself but safely for others as well) navigate the road.



Get trained at text reading. I didn't said i didn't get training i said i don't have a license. Those are two somewhat related but different things.

if YOU gentlemen would stop using your cars and bikes to go on the grocery store two blocks away and either go on foot or ride a bicycle yourselves, you wouldn't be so stressed out and gas prices wouldnt be so high.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2011-10-17 06:41:56 UTC
Renan Ruivo wrote:
Sir Substance wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:
but i don't have driving licenses for either a car or a bike

...

And i won't pay a bus ticket to go a distance i can go in my bicycle


Perhaps you should. Since you've never been trained, you have no idea about how to safely (not just safely for yourself but safely for others as well) navigate the road.



Get trained at text reading. I didn't said i didn't get training i said i don't have a license. Those are two somewhat related but different things.

if YOU gentlemen would stop using your cars and bikes to go on the grocery store two blocks away and either go on foot or ride a bicycle yourselves, you wouldn't be so stressed out and gas prices wouldnt be so high.


How would I get 2 weeks of groceries home on a bicycle? I suppose I could steal a shopping cart and attach it to my bike like a sidecar....

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2011-10-17 08:00:32 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:
Sir Substance wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:
but i don't have driving licenses for either a car or a bike

...

And i won't pay a bus ticket to go a distance i can go in my bicycle


Perhaps you should. Since you've never been trained, you have no idea about how to safely (not just safely for yourself but safely for others as well) navigate the road.



Get trained at text reading. I didn't said i didn't get training i said i don't have a license. Those are two somewhat related but different things.

if YOU gentlemen would stop using your cars and bikes to go on the grocery store two blocks away and either go on foot or ride a bicycle yourselves, you wouldn't be so stressed out and gas prices wouldnt be so high.


How would I get 2 weeks of groceries home on a bicycle? I suppose I could steal a shopping cart and attach it to my bike like a sidecar....

go to the grocery store more often? instead getting every 2 weeks, go every 2 days?

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Sofa Raddis
Gravity Waste Management
#64 - 2011-10-17 08:01:40 UTC
or get one of those hiking backpacks!
leviticus ander
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2011-10-17 08:03:13 UTC  |  Edited by: leviticus ander
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

How would I get 2 weeks of groceries home on a bicycle? I suppose I could steal a shopping cart and attach it to my bike like a sidecar....

you'd be amazed at the amount of stuff you can stuff into a backpack.
I can easily carry a week worth of food in my backpack. mind you I'm a student so I don't get tons and tons of food. and I'm only hauling for myself.

back to the topic. I've seen bikers getting a ticket for biking on the sidewalk, but that's because they are being a jackass to the pedestrians on the sidewalk. I slow down, give them right of way, or just get off the sidewalk. and I've never been stopped by a police officer. even when I biked right past about a dozen in a speed trap.
and there's a training system in British Columbia, Canada to get kids into biking properly. and aside from signaling I follow all the rules. I don't signal because I'm constantly watching what's around me and won't cross the street or pass through a turn lane without letting anyone already there though first.

and looking at the 2 comments that came up when I was writing this. no I do not have some massive hiking backpack. I have something like this. I say something like since they no longer carry the backpack I have. but this is a close approximation.
Renan Ruivo
Hengetools Consumer Products S.A.
#66 - 2011-10-17 08:30:51 UTC
Just to clarify.

Bicycles are legally permitted on roads, just not highways (except for crossing). You,. mr. driver probably are not aware of the meaning behind various hand-signals that a biker can make and by not following them you might be commiting an infraction.

The biker however is supposed to be riding on the sides of the road, and respect pedestrians.


The thumb rule is to act defensive on the roads, and never agressive. Pedestrians on the sidewalk, bikers (bicycles) on the sides of the road and cars on the main part of the road.

The problem? There are far too many damned cars in the world so the only reason you guys don't claim the sidewalks is because they are littered with random stuff. If you could drive on the sidewalk without damaging your car with non-live objects you would, and expect that the pedestrians give passage.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Barakkus
#67 - 2011-10-17 17:23:05 UTC
What's really irritating is when they decide to cause mass traffic jams downtown Chicago on Fridays during rush hour to prove how "important" they are with their "critical mass" rides.

Bicyclists in Chicago are a bunch of pompous, self-entitled wanna-be hippies. Honestly, ride your bike, don't be a jerk about it, and don't be stupid about it. I don't know how many times they refuse to ride single file in the bike lanes that were provided for them, scream and holler at drivers that have done nothing wrong but decide that the guy waiting to turn left or right or whatever has personally insulted them by having their car sitting there with a turn signal on, or ride down the middle of the road in packs just to **** off anyone trying to drive down the street.

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#68 - 2011-10-17 18:57:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
I will say that most cyclists would use bike lanes or other avenues, but unfortunately in most areas these are not available.

Jada Maroo wrote:


I'm gonna choose to believe the first one because I have noticed on other forums and in other venues that this particular group (lycra wearing bicycle riders) are wonderfully sensitive to criticism, are full of arrogance, possess an obnoxious sense of entitlement (to roads), and are, in general, vile but hilarious when provoked.


I completely agree! But I will also say that most drivers fall into the same category.

Jada Maroo wrote:
When you point out that they don't belong on roads.


Again I will point out that more then likely you are incorrect. Bikes are considered motor vehicles in most localitites and therefore are required to be in the road. :EDIT: But not highways :END EDIT:

Jada Maroo wrote:
People who ride offroad bikes are fine. I have a trail bike myself. Bikes are superior on trails, after all, and cars don't belong on trails. The only things that belong on trails are bikes, motorcycles, four wheelers, rapists, dead bodies (to the side), and Mexicans.

People who "hike" -- I don't trust those people. I've never met a normal person who hikes. The common nexus between "hikers" and their lycra wearing brethren on roads seems to be Whole Foods.


You really do like pushing the limits of rationality.

Sir Substance wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, 3000+ years of survival of the fittest being made redundant, and we arrive here, at people who think its ok to ride a pushbike in front of a truck because of principal.

Looks like natures catching up, and some of these people are imminently going to go full darwin on their own arses. Can I get a hallelujah?


Check your local laws and I would bet that you will find that you are in fact incorrect on your assumption of said peoples principles.

If the individuals responsible for US infrastructure had taken into account the likely population boom over the last century they would have planned for this and created alternative avenues for the mode of transportation that outdates the motor vehicle by many years. To think all the health care costs that could be avoided if fat asses got their lazy bums out of their car seats and propelled themselves in a fashion more suitable for their health.


Slade
Shirley Serious
Gutter Press
#69 - 2011-10-17 20:25:43 UTC
There are good and bad cyclists. Good ones will check what's behind them, bad ones won't.

Bad cyclists do things that endanger other people and themselves. For example. at a T-junction, I am turning right (this is in the UK). Now, at this particular junction, I have a green light to turn right, but there is traffic coming from my right that has a green to turn left, and it is a tight corner, so large vehicles such as buses will occasionally encroach on the roadspace that I would be using.
The lights change, and I begin to turn right. There are 2 cars ahead of me. I am turning right, and I observe a bus turning left, so I take a wide line, to avoid any chance of clipping the bus, which I have seen happen at that junction.
And a cyclist that was attempting to pass on my left, on my blind side, was taking a tight line and had to alter their line to avoid running into my car, and saw fit to hurl abuse at having to slow down. Onoes.

I read an article, that said female cyclists are proportionally more likely to be killed or injured than male cyclists.
It suggested this is due to intimidation from other road users, and also a sense of consideration for others, which means female cyclists tend to ride closer to the kerbside, which encourages other road users to attempt overtaking in more situations, attempting to squeeze past when there isn't quite enough room. The inevitable happens, and the female cyclist is hit.
Whereas male cyclists, tending to be further out from the kerbside, do not present the same opportunities for people to attempt squeezing past, instead having to wait until a proper gap opens up.

So, for female cyclists, riding in a less considerate fashion, i.e. staying far out from the kerbside, thus preventing people passing, is safer.

Just the facts.

Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#70 - 2011-10-18 00:05:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Sir Substance
Slade Trillgon wrote:
To think all the health care costs that could be avoided if fat asses got their lazy bums out of their car seats and propelled themselves in a fashion more suitable for their health.


Slade

mmm... expensive knee and hip replacement surgeries would quadruple. Testicle removals would go up as well.

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer

Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#71 - 2011-10-18 00:27:23 UTC
I agree, They Take up My Motorbike Sneaky wee Gaps for getting to the Front....

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Frank Horrigan
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#72 - 2011-10-19 04:35:52 UTC
To OP.

I agree with you, and am amazed that 90% of the replies are Pro-biker.

I grew up until 16, in, and still regularly visit Maryland and DC in the USA. And I have never seen more of these ass hats in my life anywhere else.

It really drives me nuts.

I'm 22 now, And I will still get on a BMX bike and floor it down the road, But I know I am not a car.

I bike down the sidewalk, Where non-car-vehicles belong.

I hate running up on a mf trying to ride a bike down a road with a speed limit of 45mph. I hate thinking about all the horrible accidents they could cause, Simply by getting their shoe laces caught up in the gears I've done it as a kid, If a car had been behind me, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Even bike lanes **** me off, Because of those I had my license plate removed from my car once by a college police officer. (Passed a car in the bike lane as said car made a left, upon being pulled over 3 cars do the same exact thing I did.) Apparently people were getting hurt too often by cars running them over in the biking lane, ON THE BIGGEST COLLEGE STREET IN THE CITY. I was actually drinking a 40 ounce beer standing outside a house one night on this street, and I saw a moped get nailed crossing the street by a car doing about 20 pulling a left onto a side street, IN THE BIKE LANE.

I wouldn't EVER bike down that road, Knowing how many drunk and inebriated college students drive up it every day.

I'm gonna stop ranting, but omfg I am with you my friend. I am with you.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#73 - 2011-10-19 04:50:57 UTC
Frank Horrigan wrote:
To OP.

I agree with you, and am amazed that 90% of the replies are Pro-biker.

I grew up until 16, in, and still regularly visit Maryland and DC in the USA. And I have never seen more of these ass hats in my life anywhere else.

It really drives me nuts.

I'm 22 now, And I will still get on a BMX bike and floor it down the road, But I know I am not a car.

I bike down the sidewalk, Where non-car-vehicles belong.

I hate running up on a mf trying to ride a bike down a road with a speed limit of 45mph. I hate thinking about all the horrible accidents they could cause, Simply by getting their shoe laces caught up in the gears I've done it as a kid, If a car had been behind me, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Even bike lanes **** me off, Because of those I had my license plate removed from my car once by a college police officer. (Passed a car in the bike lane as said car made a left, upon being pulled over 3 cars do the same exact thing I did.) Apparently people were getting hurt too often by cars running them over in the biking lane, ON THE BIGGEST COLLEGE STREET IN THE CITY. I was actually drinking a 40 ounce beer standing outside a house one night on this street, and I saw a moped get nailed crossing the street by a car doing about 20 pulling a left onto a side street, IN THE BIKE LANE.

I wouldn't EVER bike down that road, Knowing how many drunk and inebriated college students drive up it every day.

I'm gonna stop ranting, but omfg I am with you my friend. I am with you.


There's a difference between a biker and a cyclist, please don't lump me in with those hippies that are afraid to use engines Pirate

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#74 - 2011-10-19 04:56:46 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:


There's a difference between a biker and a cyclist, please don't lump me in with those hippies that are afraid to use engines Pirate

*highfive*

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#75 - 2011-10-19 06:45:49 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:


There's a difference between a biker and a cyclist, please don't lump me in with those hippies that are afraid to use engines Pirate


What are you trying to compensate for?

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

JordanParey
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#76 - 2011-10-19 07:39:50 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:


There's a difference between a biker and a cyclist, please don't lump me in with those hippies that are afraid to use engines Pirate


What are you trying to compensate for?


At least he's got something between his legs to compensate for. P
Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2011-10-19 10:50:31 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:


There's a difference between a biker and a cyclist, please don't lump me in with those hippies that are afraid to use engines Pirate


What are you trying to compensate for?


Funny, that's the first thing I think of when I see cyclists wearing clothes scientifically designed to make the size of their abs clearly visible to every man, woman and child who looks at them.

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer

Iosue
Black Sky Hipsters
#78 - 2011-10-19 15:41:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Iosue
Jada Maroo wrote:
2. he thought I was serious in my suggestion that people with older vehicles should take it for the team and run over people on bikes wearing lycra


i'll just leave this here for the OP: taking one for the team

me tiptoes out...
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#79 - 2011-10-19 15:47:55 UTC
JordanParey wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:


There's a difference between a biker and a cyclist, please don't lump me in with those hippies that are afraid to use engines Pirate


What are you trying to compensate for?


At least he's got something between his legs to compensate for. P


Which is what, exactly?

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2011-10-19 16:07:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Jada Maroo
Iosue wrote:
Jada Maroo wrote:
2. he thought I was serious in my suggestion that people with older vehicles should take it for the team and run over people on bikes wearing lycra


i'll just leave this here for the OP: taking one for the team

me tiptoes out...


That's terrible. I hope that car is okay.