These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Capital ship balancing

First post First post First post
Author
xxxak
Perkone
Caldari State
#2481 - 2011-11-17 22:25:09 UTC
Tippia wrote:
S8nt wrote:
A simple RL example:
…which by very definition of “RL” is completely irrelevant to EVE balancing.
Quote:
By making the changes to the ships and log of mechanics you are forcing corps and alliances to stay away from them, if they cannot fund or support them
Good. That's the goal here: get a support fleet, or die.
Quote:
Please listen to reason
They did. That's why the all-in-one-mobiles are getting nerfed to the point where they need some support ships to survive. It's the reasonable thing to do.

Do you deny that these changes will force even more Blobbing with massive, face-crushing subcap "support" blobs to support the rich "Knights and Lords" in their supers?

Tippia, I want to hear you deny that once from your own lips, so I can make you eat crow in 6 months.

[u]The nerfs to supercaps will cause more super pilots to join the largest alliances who can properly "support" their deployment, further concentrating firepower/wealth in EVE. The end result will be fewer "fun" fights, and will hurt EVE in the long run.[/u]

Suiteii
Raven's Flight
#2482 - 2011-11-17 22:39:41 UTC
xxxak wrote:
Do you deny that these changes will force even more Blobbing with massive, face-crushing subcap "support" blobs to support the rich "Knights and Lords" in their supers?

Tippia, I want to hear you deny that once from your own lips, so I can make you eat crow in 6 months.

So you're admitting that these changes will bring subcaps back into the playing field without completely removing supercapitals from the fight.

Sounds like balance, to me.
The Mittani
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2483 - 2011-11-17 22:41:20 UTC
sarsa wrote:
Vile rat wrote:
Velin Dhal wrote:
Well as of right now, I'm on the test server with the new patch. Way to drop the ball CCP.

Hybrid balancing is great stuff, but I'm glad to see that once again, the older players in eve get screwed over. From the nerfs I'm seeing on here, you didn't listen to anyone in this thread. The massive Super nerf I'm seeing here is insanity. They are completely worthless.

Good job CCP on making Test and Goons now strong enough to push just about anyone they want out of Null. Seeming you just made the counter to their high member count disappear. Who needs skills points anymore when you can just have 3000 noobs.

Its getting more and more pointless to keep paying for a game that keeps alienating its older players.

Death to all supercaps.

So if 5000 goons voted CSM Mittani and Vile Rat the new brainiacs of eve that means they are the voice of eve community ?
I must remind CCP of the times when there were 47.000 players online well now there are 35.000 soon there will be 25.000 in the way you are going. You just made a favor to the blobs that have the same capital capability but not the balls to field them. The problem was not that supers were to hard to kill because that works in both ways doesn't it ? You are failing to deliver what the community asks since 3 years. I like how Tallest responds in that blog saying "I" want to make some changes dude change away what ever you like soon you will play it as a network game. And you might rethink you strategies because you guys might have a surprise when Diablo 3 will be released. I play this game for 8 years in each year you bring only disappointment to the community you encourage blobs all the time. YOU as CCP made this game a BLOB FEST.

Remember the upper you get the bigger is the fall.

Pointless to say anything to people like Vile Rat and Mittani they are people that think they are always right.
CSM members should be people with extensive knowledge about game mechanics and with good ideas CCP should recruit them through interviews/test not to put 5000 goons to vote them.

This is my opinion and how i had to put up to YOUR CHANGES patch after patch now you put up with My OPINION.

Wow, how did I somehow miss this thread full of ex-BoB tears?

Oh, right - Skyrim.

~hi~

xxxak
Perkone
Caldari State
#2484 - 2011-11-17 22:44:37 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxak
The Mittani wrote:
sarsa wrote:
Vile rat wrote:
Velin Dhal wrote:
Well as of right now, I'm on the test server with the new patch. Way to drop the ball CCP.

Hybrid balancing is great stuff, but I'm glad to see that once again, the older players in eve get screwed over. From the nerfs I'm seeing on here, you didn't listen to anyone in this thread. The massive Super nerf I'm seeing here is insanity. They are completely worthless.

Good job CCP on making Test and Goons now strong enough to push just about anyone they want out of Null. Seeming you just made the counter to their high member count disappear. Who needs skills points anymore when you can just have 3000 noobs.

Its getting more and more pointless to keep paying for a game that keeps alienating its older players.

Death to all supercaps.

So if 5000 goons voted CSM Mittani and Vile Rat the new brainiacs of eve that means they are the voice of eve community ?
I must remind CCP of the times when there were 47.000 players online well now there are 35.000 soon there will be 25.000 in the way you are going. You just made a favor to the blobs that have the same capital capability but not the balls to field them. The problem was not that supers were to hard to kill because that works in both ways doesn't it ? You are failing to deliver what the community asks since 3 years. I like how Tallest responds in that blog saying "I" want to make some changes dude change away what ever you like soon you will play it as a network game. And you might rethink you strategies because you guys might have a surprise when Diablo 3 will be released. I play this game for 8 years in each year you bring only disappointment to the community you encourage blobs all the time. YOU as CCP made this game a BLOB FEST.

Pointless to say anything to people like Vile Rat and Mittani they are people that think they are always right.
CSM members should be people with extensive knowledge about game mechanics and with good ideas CCP should recruit them through interviews/test not to put 5000 goons to vote them.

This is my opinion and how i had to put up to YOUR CHANGES patch after patch now you put up with My OPINION.

Wow, how did I somehow miss this thread full of ex-BoB tears?

Oh, right - Skyrim.

Mittens, your vile goal of the concentration of power in 2-3 power blocs and the destruction of fun in EVE is nearly complete.

Can I get an exclusive first-quote?

I, for one, look forward to seeing the Lords and Knights of EVE ride on their supercaps atop a wave of human filth and misery as the peasants in subcaps batter freemen out of their nullsec homes.

[u]The nerfs to supercaps will cause more super pilots to join the largest alliances who can properly "support" their deployment, further concentrating firepower/wealth in EVE. The end result will be fewer "fun" fights, and will hurt EVE in the long run.[/u]

Sesshru
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#2485 - 2011-11-17 22:46:55 UTC
i've spent the last several months, training up all my skills to perfect for a niddy

and now i see this

capitals getting nerfed
but the cost of them remains the same, and what it takes to make them remains the same

so i pay the same price for a nerf

why should it take the same materials for a lesser ship with these nerf's, i find this quite unfair to the eve community
The Mittani
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2486 - 2011-11-17 22:51:18 UTC
xxxak wrote:

Mittens, your vile goal of the concentration of power in 2-3 power blocs and the destruction of fun in EVE is nearly complete.

I, for one, look forward to seeing the Lords and Knights of EVE ride on their supercaps atop a wave of human filth and misery as the peasants in subcaps batter freemen out of their nullsec homes.

an amusing twist, you've managed through your delusions to somehow consider me a pro-supercap supporter

personally, i'd like to see them all removed from the game or shifted to a completely noncombat role (bridging only, leadership bonuses etc) but according to this thread full of howlers i ~have gotten everything that i want~

supercaps can still target subcaps and they still exist, i have not won vOv

~hi~

xxxak
Perkone
Caldari State
#2487 - 2011-11-17 23:01:02 UTC
The Mittani wrote:
xxxak wrote:

an amusing twist, you've managed through your delusions to somehow consider me a pro-supercap supporter

personally, i'd like to see them all removed from the game or shifted to a completely noncombat role (bridging only, leadership bonuses etc) but according to this thread full of howlers i ~have gotten everything that i want~

supercaps can still target subcaps and they still exist, i have not won vOv

Ironically, at this point, I would like to see them removed as well. Or as you said, changed into actual mobile stations of some kind.

For the record, I never meant to imply that you want to buff supers in any way. I think supers are merely useful leverage points upon which you can push to achieve your ultimate goals.

Slighet
Siempre Muerto
#2488 - 2011-11-17 23:04:16 UTC
Blimey, this thread is still going? Hurrah. Delicious sense of entitlement tears.

*Goes back to training vulnerable, fun, challenging subcaps*
Freezehunter
#2489 - 2011-11-17 23:13:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Freezehunter
Dreads still have absolute crap tracking.

Is it possible to also add a tracking bonus per level of skill to dreads please?

Now that you removed the drones, a single neuting BS vs a dread can just orbit it close and it WILL eventually kill the dread, because the dread misses every shot, even when the ship is being webbed.

BS can win against frigates solo, dreads should have no problem with battleships solo, at least if they are webbed.

I made a setup on the test server, where all my rigs, and all my med slots were dedicated to improving tracking, and I had a tackler in the fleet, and I STILL missed every single freaking ( ion blaster) shot on a battleship that was moving 10m/s , 12 kilometers away, it's absurd.

Meanwhile, Minmatar dreads can kill interceptors going 3 KPS at 10-70 KM no problem.
Bullshit much?

Not everyone has a fleet available to them at will, you know.

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

Edsback
MineOne
#2490 - 2011-11-17 23:19:39 UTC
Freezehunter wrote:

Is it possible to also add a tracking bonus per level of skill to dreads please?

Now that you removed the drones, a single neuting BS vs a dread can just orbit it close and it WILL eventually kill the dread, because the dread misses every shot, even when the ship is being webbed.

BS can win against frigates solo, dreads should have no problem with battleships solo, at least if they are webbed.

I made a setup on the test server, where all my rigs, and all my med slots were dedicated to improving tracking, and I had a tackler in the fleet, and I STILL missed every single freaking ( ion blaster) shot on a battleship that was moving 10m/s , 12 kilometers away, it's absurd.

Now did you take them drugs

HINT (theirs no side effects anymore)
drillerkiller2004
Brazilian Vultures
Ferrata Victrix
#2491 - 2011-11-17 23:39:17 UTC
I think that you should remove the ability to jump bridge freighters
Miss President
SOLARIS ASTERIUS
#2492 - 2011-11-18 00:21:43 UTC
The only reason I trained sentry drones so I can kick ass in my dread.

I think dreads having 5 sentry drones, should be allowed, even if no bonus is given.

I say boost dreads as you say, but give them drones back. Limit to only sentry type. There are good reasons to not siege, and use drones when the tower is almost down, to save a cycle.

Bouncer IIs ftw
Velin Dhal
Zeonic CG
#2493 - 2011-11-18 00:25:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Velin Dhal
Vile rat wrote:
Velin Dhal wrote:

Death to all supercaps.

Whats amusing is that people in your own ******* alliance don't agree with this patch. Well, the ones that fly supers anyway. Its also amusing that your a "Voice of the eve community", yet if we look at the big picture this patch benefits very few people outside your own alliance. Not to mention that it completely handicaps every one of your major enemies.

My personal opinion is that this is a complete misuse of your and Mitanni's power. Goons is NOT eve. There are far more people playing this game than the people in your alliance. You never looked for a solution to the super cap imbalance. You just looked for the best way to destroy them and **** everyone else over.
Velin Dhal
Zeonic CG
#2494 - 2011-11-18 00:28:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Velin Dhal
Velin Dhal wrote:
Vile rat wrote:
Velin Dhal wrote:

Death to all supercaps.

Whats amusing is that people in your own ******* alliance don't agree with this patch. Well, the ones that fly supers anyway. Its also amusing that your a "Voice of the eve community", yet if we look at the big picture this patch benefits very few people outside your own alliance. Not to mention that it completely handicaps every one of your major enemies.

My personal opinion is that this is a complete misuse of your and Mitanni's power. Goons is NOT eve. There are far more people playing this game than the people in your alliance. You never looked for a solution to the super cap imbalance. You just looked for the best way to destroy them and **** everyone else over.

Too bad we don't have a way to vote you out of the CSM
Dietrich III
Hard Knocks Inc.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#2495 - 2011-11-18 01:54:46 UTC
Freezehunter wrote:

If you don't have a support fleet, then why the hell would you bring a dreadnought? Even so, did you try target painters? Did you look at the angular velocity of the target vs that of your dread guns to be absolutely sure it's tracking and not sig radius that's making your guns miss? But whatever, you're missing the point.

Stop looking at capital ships in one-to-one engagements, because they weren't designed for that. Dreads have a very specific role: killing other capitals and player-owned structures. You don't engage subcaps with a dread...that's what a subcap support fleet is for.
Bettoesai
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2496 - 2011-11-18 04:06:38 UTC
Freezehunter wrote:

Meanwhile, Minmatar dreads can kill interceptors going 3 KPS at 10-70 KM no problem.
Bullshit much?

Only if the Dread did not have a tank...... Which seems unlikely......

"Sir I keep firing our planet destroying super weapon but I can't seem to hit that x-wing!"

Vile rat

Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#2497 - 2011-11-18 05:27:34 UTC
The attention CCP is giving to the balancing of ships is invigorating. Also, it's not the end-all of balancing, it's a good start.
Vile rat
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2498 - 2011-11-18 05:54:14 UTC
sarsa wrote:
Vile rat wrote:
Velin Dhal wrote:

Death to all supercaps.

This would actually mean a thing if the CSM were Mittens and I. I suppose you're suggesting that the two PL guys, the two xdeath guys and a whole slew of CCP balancing guys just took what we said and put it in without considering the impact of the ships on the game? Interesting theory.

This is a nerf. This is a nerf to groups that use supercaps as the sole mechanism to project 0.0 power. This is a nerf to guys who like to bait small gangs then drop a titan on them much like a child melts ants with a magnifying glass. You're upset about this nerf and I can respect that because this is a hit to your playing style and you're hopping mad about it.

These changes are also the result of a significant amount of back and forth between parts of the CSM who represent SC heavy alliances, those who feel strongly that supercaps as they are now break the game and ruin the experience for the much larger percentage who don't have them, and CCP. These changes are also not the final word and there is going to be a great deal of attention given to the aftermath of these changes so if this wasn't done enough or too much it'll be addressed.

Now I'd love to have this conversation, a rational discourse on why we feel these changes are necessary, and why we pushed for them. Even though we didn't get nearly what we wanted, CCP did find another path that makes us mostly satisfied and that's why we were sent here.

So despite your immature words and incoherent rant I do get the motivation behind your anger. I think it's misplaced and you're coming across like a spoiled child, but that's in your delivery and not your sentiment.

Velin Dhal
Zeonic CG
#2499 - 2011-11-18 07:48:12 UTC
Vile rat wrote:
sarsa wrote:
Vile rat wrote:
Velin Dhal wrote:

Death to all supercaps.

This would actually mean a thing if the CSM were Mittens and I. I suppose you're suggesting that the two PL guys, the two xdeath guys and a whole slew of CCP balancing guys just took what we said and put it in without considering the impact of the ships on the game? Interesting theory.

This is a nerf. This is a nerf to groups that use supercaps as the sole mechanism to project 0.0 power. This is a nerf to guys who like to bait small gangs then drop a titan on them much like a child melts ants with a magnifying glass. You're upset about this nerf and I can respect that because this is a hit to your playing style and you're hopping mad about it.

These changes are also the result of a significant amount of back and forth between parts of the CSM who represent SC heavy alliances, those who feel strongly that supercaps as they are now break the game and ruin the experience for the much larger percentage who don't have them, and CCP. These changes are also not the final word and there is going to be a great deal of attention given to the aftermath of these changes so if this wasn't done enough or too much it'll be addressed.

Now I'd love to have this conversation, a rational discourse on why we feel these changes are necessary, and why we pushed for them. Even though we didn't get nearly what we wanted, CCP did find another path that makes us mostly satisfied and that's why we were sent here.

So despite your immature words and incoherent rant I do get the motivation behind your anger. I think it's misplaced and you're coming across like a spoiled child, but that's in your delivery and not your sentiment.

I would be the first to agree with you that Supers are broken. They are extremely over powered. They aren't to hard to kill if you bring the right fleet comp but the versatility is the problem.

The infuriating thing about this patch is that CCP is destroying Super Capital class ships. For what ? Game balance ?

I don't believe this patch is going to balance anything. I can understand the frustration that other must feel that they apparent answer to most peoples problems these days is "Drop Supers". Your right, the game shouldn't be that way. I just don't agree that they should be completely unable to defend themselves against Sub Capital ships. ECM burst and Smartbombs only take you so far.

Now i'm sure your going to say that you should have a support fleet, while I would agree with that, we know the world is not perfect, nor is eve. There are always going to be times where you are alone. Being in a stupid situation doesn't always mean the situation is your fault. At least prior to this update, you had a fighting chance.

These are extremely expensive ships we're talking about and I'm sure a lot of people feel that they wasted hard earned isk and large amounts of skill points for a ship they really have no use for now.

Unless I missed something, Supers still cannot dock. If CCP would allow these ships to dock, I'm sure a lot of people would be far less upset about this update. I know I would. If your going to take something away, you should be giving something in return. People asking for SP back, I think is a bit over the top but being able to dock ? I don't find that to be unreasonable at all.

Also, to promote these ships to stay in null most of the time, perhaps you could have an array for 0.0 stations. Said array would allow Super Capitals to dock. Without that array, they can't dock. This would in turn still disallow docking of these ships in low sec systems. Get creative. Like I said, I'm sure a lot of people would be more receptive to this patch if they didn't feel so alienated.
Vile rat
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2500 - 2011-11-18 08:07:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Vile rat
Velin Dhal wrote:
I would be the first to agree with you that Supers are broken. They are extremely over powered. They aren't to hard to kill if you bring the right fleet comp but the versatility is the problem.

With the exception of the 15 min log off timer I agree so far. Supercaps are really difficult to kill currently unless you drop 30 on one dumb ratting nyx or something.

Quote:

The infuriating thing about this patch is that CCP is destroying Super Capital class ships. For what ? Game balance ?

I don't believe this patch is going to balance anything. I can understand the frustration that other must feel that they apparent answer to most peoples problems these days is "Drop Supers". Your right, the game shouldn't be that way. I just don't agree that they should be completely unable to defend themselves against Sub Capital ships. ECM burst and Smartbombs only take you so far.

This is where we differ but permit me an opportunity to explain why. I think supercaps are overpowered currently, but the main reason why I think this is that supercaps were never meant to be solo ships or capable of operating without a support fleet. When you give supercaps the ability to defend against any ship class you've just created a swiss army cap that doesn't need subcaps. Think about this for a minute. You have a ship class that really doesn't need subcaps. Maybe you need a dictor or two to hold people down so you can butcher them, but you don't need subcaps to be successful. The impact of this is that the vast majority of players in 0.0 don't really have a role anymore since it's the minority in space who fly supercaps, not the majority. My response on this to you would be: "Why shouldn't supercaps need a support fleet to be effective?" I've seen arguments about people saying they've trained up forever to get their end game ship and they just can't stand the fact that they are being brought down to earth and if they spend 50b for some pimped out supertoy they SHOULD be able to wipe out whole fleets with a single button or perhaps they change the argument slightly to throw in some kind of quip about blob warfare and how this change just makes it so large groups of people can be highly effective against small groups of people.

Well I think that's how it should be. If you have a bunch of dudes you probably should be really effective against a small group of dudes. It shouldn't be the sole deciding factor of course, but the level of strategic thinking and tactical capabilty required to beat a larger force should ramp up as they get even more numbers and no, I do not consider being rich enough to buy a big expensive ship to be the answer to that. If you're fighting a much larger group then adjust your strategy to be a guerilla war instead of saying that they have a bunch more dudes than you so you should be able to buy your way to victory. That's a bullshit answer and one I reject out of hand.

Quote:

Now i'm sure your going to say that you should have a support fleet, while I would agree with that, we know the world is not perfect, nor is eve. There are always going to be times where you are alone. Being in a stupid situation doesn't always mean the situation is your fault. At least prior to this update, you had a fighting chance.

These are extremely expensive ships we're talking about and I'm sure a lot of people feel that they wasted hard earned isk and large amounts of skill points for a ship they really have no use for now.

I'm a supercap pilot. I flew an Aeon before and I fly an Erebus now. I couldn't imagine ever putting myself in a situation where I was that vulnerable and I don't think stupidity (either on your part or the part of your alliance) should be a reason to make things easier for you. If you find yourself getting ganked in your expensive toy, then be less dumb. It's really not difficult.

Quote:

Unless I missed something, Supers still cannot dock. If CCP would allow these ships to dock, I'm sure a lot of people would be far less upset about this update. I know I would. If your going to take something away, you should be giving something in return. People asking for SP back, I think is a bit over the top but being able to dock ? I don't find that to be unreasonable at all.

Give me the power to implement supercap docking and it'd be done before I finish this post (it's a longish post so maybe before this). I fully support unlocking characters from supercaps because frankly supercaps just aren't used that often. It was a mistake to mandate that they had to be stuck in the hull and it reduces the value of both the character and the gameplay experience by forcing this on them. CCP forced us to all be in supercaps by making the gameplay reliant on them, they should throw a bone and ease up this ridiculous requirement.

Quote:

Also, to promote these ships to stay in null most of the time, perhaps you could have an array for 0.0 stations. Said array would allow Super Capitals to dock. Without that array, they can't dock. This would in turn still disallow docking of these ships in low sec systems. Get creative. Like I said, I'm sure a lot of people would be more receptive to this patch if they didn't feel so alienated.

Like this.