These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Moderation discussion thread

First post First post
Author
Graic Gabtar
The Lemon Party
#301 - 2012-11-18 02:23:47 UTC
Large Collidable Object wrote:
So, a rather pitifully amusing petition later, I decided to provide some constructive Criticism.

ISD Suvetar wrote:
Hi LCO,

The information that I have is that if you raise a petition with the Community team, using the 'Other Issues -> Community' category; they may have some detail for you.

Hope this helps.
I would express what seeing this kind of thing feels like but it's probably far too dangerous to even draw an analogy most people would regard as fair.
CCP Falcon
#302 - 2012-11-18 22:17:38 UTC
...truncated post...

In the end your entire issue boils down to one fact: The fact that you don't check the email address associated with your EVE Online Account.

Pro Tip:

It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that the email address connected to your EVE Online Account is current, up to date and checked regularly to prevent things like this. It isn't our problem if you fail to see an email that we deliver to you because you can't be bothered to check your inbox.

If we need to contact anyone regarding account management issues such as petition responses from petitions submitted through the website rather than the F12 menu in game, for instance forum warnings and forum bans, we do this out of game via the email address linked to their EVE Online Accounts.

I'll repeat again: If you can't be bothered to check your email inbox for messages from us, then it isn't our problem if you miss the fact you've received a warning. We've done our duty as stipulated in our policies to inform you of action against your account.

You need to understand that we ask for your email address because this is our way of contacting you should we need to regarding account management issues, not via EVEmail.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#303 - 2012-11-19 01:33:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Large Collidable Object
CCP Falcon wrote:
...truncated post...

In the end your entire issue boils down to one fact: The fact that you don't check the email address associated with your EVE Online Account.

Pro Tip:

It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that the email address connected to your EVE Online Account is current, up to date and checked regularly to prevent things like this. It isn't our problem if you fail to see an email that we deliver to you because you can't be bothered to check your inbox.

Maybe you should actually read posts instead of truncating them Roll.

Yes - checking ones mail is someones own liability[....]

CCP Falcon wrote:

If we need to contact anyone regarding account management issues such as petition responses from petitions submitted through the website rather than the F12 menu in game, for instance forum warnings and forum bans, we do this out of game via the email address linked to their EVE Online Accounts.

Yes - I am very well aware of this. And as a matter of fact I have received all petition responses via the F12 menu ingame as well as the respective accounts email address. (also Iirc, I issued all my petitions from within the client, in case that matters).

Anyway, If you had read my post instead of 'truncating' it, you would have noticed I wasn't talking about petition responses at all.

CCP Falcon wrote:

I'll repeat again: If you can't be bothered to check your email inbox for messages from us, then it isn't our problem if you miss the fact you've received a warning. We've done our duty as stipulated in our policies to inform you of action against your account.

You need to understand that we ask for your email address because this is our way of contacting you should we need to regarding account management issues, not via EVEmail.

Okay - once more and step by step for those impaired in text apprehension:

1. I do not bother with the original ban.
2. I've already made that clear in the first petition I raised.
3. The second petition was about the fact that an impendent ban was impossible to perceive from my POV. Instead I received a lengthy and obsessively compulsive reply on why I was banned in the first place, which already was already entirely irrelevant when the first petition was raised.
4. After thoroughly checking all my eve-associated mail acounts (assuming warnings work accross several accounts), I couldn't find a single warning other than the one that dates from 21 minutes before the actual ban on any account. And no, I never delete mails.

Therfore, I constructively criticise that:

- I have never received email notifications about some warnings that - according to CCP - have been issued
- If you want warnings to be effective, you should send a CC (thats an abbrevation for 'carbon copy', anachronistically used in email headers) to the characters evemail inbox.
- Sending a CC means it's a 'copy'. Sending a copy doesn't mean exclusively sending it to one address or the other. If you don't understand the meaning of copy, please check wikipedia or merriam websters (those are sites on the internet - a worldwide computer network).
- You need to understand people don't check alternate webmail accounts every minute when they're busy reposting things that were deleted due to volunteer moderators illiteracy or hordes of imbeciles and their alts pushing the 'report' button.
- I know that what you practice is legally correct.
- I presume you want warnings to work, but what you currently practice is to start shooting at someone immediately after you sent a letter by snail mail saying 'hands up!'.
- To improve warnings effectiveness, you should consider implementing the suggested change.

Best regards

LCO
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Frying Doom
#304 - 2012-11-19 03:29:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Ok so I will put it here.

Poor Customer service.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:

#22 Posted: 2012.11.19 03:17 | Report
Quote:
Warnings and bans are not to be discussed on the forum.

Such matters shall remain private between the CCP and the user. Questions or comments concerning warnings and bans will be conveyed through e-mail or private messaging. Likewise, discussions regarding moderator actions are not permitted on the forum. If you have questions regarding a post or thread, please file a petition.

Please do not start threads about moderation. There is already a thread for such a thing; you can find it here. If that is not up to your satisfaction. Have a pleasant evening.

Thread locked.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
Captain
Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)
Interstellar Services Department

Um what ban? or are you informing us a ban was involved?
Also that was not a thread on moderation as moderation is involving closing threads or removing inappropriate threads, moderation is not discussing how bad CCP seems to have gotten AGAIN with customer service unless you are implying that the ISD program is by it's nature bad customer service. Well thinking about it as you put bad customer service and moderation together, I presume you do believe they are the same thing.

I was discussing the poor level of customer service by using templates that are generally rude and it gets topped off nicely with 'If that is not up to your satisfaction. Have a pleasant evening.'

How about saying something more useful like 'If our current levels of customer service are not up to your level of satisfaction please feel free to contact our customer service team on' and give an email and phone number.

And you wonder why your having trouble with player retention. World wide the highest scoring thing people are after from a product or service is customer service.

Maybe you guys just need to leak another 'Greed is Good' Memo so you start fixing your customer service skills again.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

CCP Falcon
#305 - 2012-11-19 09:45:32 UTC
...truncated post...

Truncated, meaning to shorten so that other people don't have to re-read your post again and I'm not spamming the forums with the same thing. Truncated doesn't mean I didn't read it.

You're complaining that we're not CCing you in via EVEMail, and I'm saying the following as per my previous post :

CCP Falcon wrote:

Once again, we do not send EVEmail. The petition system is entirely different to the moderation system we use to govern the forums so the fact that you may receive an account warning in game from a GM is completely different to the fact you will not receive one from a forum warning. Forum warnings and Account warnings are two different things.

We do not send EVEmail to people regarding forum warnings and bans, this is fact and is not up for debate. Once again, it is your responsibility to ensure you check the email address associated with your EVE Online Account. Not ours.

I'll also say flat out that you need to be very careful about how you're posting. Insulting members of CCP and ISD is not looked upon in a good light. You're treading very close to the edge, but I'll let it slide this time.

CCP Falcon
#306 - 2012-11-19 09:54:15 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
...truncated post...

No, he's not telling you a ban was involved, he's quoting a rule from the forum rules here as the reason when he locked the thread. This is standard practice.

There are also a number of addresses listed in various places on the forums with regards to contacting CCP Customer Support if you feel it isn't up to standard. We don't, however, operate phone support.

Mirima Thurander
#307 - 2012-11-19 10:01:04 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
...truncated post...

No, he's not telling you a ban was involved, he's quoting a rule from the forum rules here as the reason when he locked the thread. This is standard practice.

There are also a number of addresses listed in various places on the forums with regards to contacting CCP Customer Support if you feel it isn't up to standard. We don't, however, operate phone support.

O if only CCP had not changed there office phone numbers from when they first launched the game.

The amount of rage calls would shut down Iceland's phone system.

I still have the old office number but its listed as disconnected when u call sad days.

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

Mirima Thurander
#308 - 2012-11-19 10:05:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Mirima Thurander
Post removed someone's fixing to get a ban hammer and its not going to be me.

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

Graic Gabtar
The Lemon Party
#309 - 2012-11-19 10:06:11 UTC
I must say I am somewhat flabbergasted.

CCP Falcon wrote:
...Pro Tip...

...It isn't our problem...

...If you can't be bothered...

...it isn't our problem...

...We've done our duty...
One of the most aggressive sounding, issue deflecting and downright rude customer service messages I have ever read in around a decade of managing large scale gaming forums and online communities.

In particular when you take LCO's post as a part of the context. It doesn't even try to address the underlying concerns.

CCP Falcon wrote:
I'll also say flat out that you need to be very careful about how you're posting. Insulting members of CCP and ISD is not looked upon in a good light. You're treading very close to the edge, but I'll let it slide this time.
I'd be asking questions of the legitimacy of this kind of threat given the nature of the posts of CCP in this thread directed towards the customer.

Simply astounding.
CCP Falcon
#310 - 2012-11-19 11:07:32 UTC
Graic Gabtar wrote:

CCP Falcon wrote:
...Pro Tip...

One of the most aggressive sounding, issue deflecting and downright rude customer service messages I have ever read in around a decade of managing large scale gaming forums and online communities.

In particular when you take LCO's post as a part of the context. It doesn't even try to address the underlying concerns.

CCP Falcon wrote:
I'd be asking questions of the legitimacy of this kind of threat given the nature of the posts of CCP in this thread directed towards the customer.

Simply astounding.

You're pretty terrible at twisting people's words and selectively quoting, my best advice is don't do it.

He asked questions, I gave a very direct and focused response. If you have an issue with how it was handled, feel free to file a petition, again.

MailDeadDrop
Archon Industries
#311 - 2012-11-19 15:24:45 UTC
MailDeadDrop wrote:
When locking threads as duplicates, is there a rule to determine which of the threads should remain unlocked? I would've thought that the older thread would remain unlocked, as the younger thread is clearly the one duplicating the other. But this pair of threads seems to be the other way around:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=172648
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=173086

CCP Falcon wrote:
I made the choice to lock the older one and leave the newer one in place is it has more relevant content, and was updated with a post clarifying the rules regarding bumping Smile

Thanks for the explanatory response for that particular instance, but I was using it as an example only. I wasn't particularly interested in getting the reason for that instance, so much as a statement about how the moderators *should* generally be treating duplicating threads versus (perhaps) how they *are* treating them.

My gut feel, and I freely admit that my gut may be leading me astray, is that absent some super-compelling reason, the older thread should be allowed to stand and the newer one be locked with a reference back to the older thread.

Going back to this instance, at the time that the older thread was locked, the newer thread appears to have had 19 posts in it (one page). This includes CCP Falcon's clarifying post regarding ship bumping (threw me for a moment there: I thought you meant thread bumping) at 21:04. Why the moderator didn't close the newer thread at 21:04 and put the explanatory post in the older thread is a mystery. I also find it curious that the moderator's explanatory post, reportedly involving consulting the GM team, was made an astonishingly fast 22 minutes after this newer thread was created.

At the time that the moderator made the explanatory post (21:04), the newer thread had 8 posts in it. Furthermore, none of those posts seem to constitute a super-compelling reason for this duplicate thread to be spared the lock.

If duplicate thread locking depends solely upon moderator judgment, then I think the moderator is in error in this instance. If duplicate thread locking has a formal rule component, please provide it so that we can determine where it may need adjustment.

MDD
Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#312 - 2012-11-19 15:58:41 UTC
Graic Gabtar wrote:

CCP Falcon wrote:
...Pro Tip...

CCP Falcon wrote:

Simply astounding.

When all you and LCO are doing is nit picking, insulting staff members and fishing for ways to bash the moderation team after your queries were already answered I think hes being positively restrained, I'm honestly surprised you havent been banned yet.

To be blunt, you reek of self entitlement and if you were a customer of mine I would have tossed you out on your arse a long time ago and your business be damned.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#313 - 2012-11-19 17:25:56 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Falcon
MailDeadDrop wrote:
Thanks for the explanatory response for that particular instance, but I was using it as an example only. I wasn't particularly interested in getting the reason for that instance, so much as a statement about how the moderators *should* generally be treating duplicating threads versus (perhaps) how they *are* treating them.

My gut feel, and I freely admit that my gut may be leading me astray, is that absent some super-compelling reason, the older thread should be allowed to stand and the newer one be locked with a reference back to the older thread.

[...]

At the time that the moderator made the explanatory post (21:04), the newer thread had 8 posts in it. Furthermore, none of those posts seem to constitute a super-compelling reason for this duplicate thread to be spared the lock.

If duplicate thread locking depends solely upon moderator judgment, then I think the moderator is in error in this instance. If duplicate thread locking has a formal rule component, please provide it so that we can determine where it may need adjustment.

In this instance, the older thread was locked because the newer one specifically involved something a dev (in this case, myself) said that was relevant to the discussion.

In the general case, we prefer to lock the thread which has gotten the least discussion in it. In most cases, that is the newest thread, but at times it can be an older thread that has less relevant content.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

MailDeadDrop
Archon Industries
#314 - 2012-11-19 20:36:26 UTC
CCP Eterne wrote:
In the general case, we prefer to lock the thread which has gotten the most discussion in it. In most cases, that is the oldest thread, but at times it can be a newer thread (for whatever reason).

Surely you've made a mistake above. You don't really have a rule saying "when facing duplicate threads, lock the one with the most discussion in it." That would be beyond silly.

MDD
Frying Doom
#315 - 2012-11-19 21:40:12 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
...truncated post...

Except no ban was discussed in the thread.

It was a thread about poor customer service.

How would you feel if you complained to a company about poor customer service and they said 'Our Customer Support contact details are listed on our website'

I think you guys really could benefit from some customer service training.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#316 - 2012-11-19 23:19:36 UTC
MailDeadDrop wrote:
CCP Eterne wrote:
In the general case, we prefer to lock the thread which has gotten the most discussion in it. In most cases, that is the oldest thread, but at times it can be a newer thread (for whatever reason).

Surely you've made a mistake above. You don't really have a rule saying "when facing duplicate threads, lock the one with the most discussion in it." That would be beyond silly.

MDD

Derp. I meant to say we prefer to leave the one with the most discussion OPEN.

Sorry for the mistake.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#317 - 2012-11-20 00:50:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Large Collidable Object
CCP Falcon wrote:

Truncated, meaning to shorten so that other people don't have to re-read your post again and I'm not spamming the forums with the same thing. Truncated doesn't mean I didn't read it.

You're complaining that we're not CCing you in via EVEMail, and I'm saying the following as per my previous post... [truncated to not spam the forums with the same thing]

I wasn't complaining, I was suggesting supposedly easily to implement features to avoid escalations.

CCP Falcon wrote:

Once again, we do not send EVEmail. [truncated to not spam the forums with the same thing]

We do not send EVEmail to people regarding forum warnings and bans, this is fact [truncated to not spam the forums with the same thing]

Yes - I am all too well aware of that. In fact that was the very point I was criticising.

CCP Falcon wrote:

I didn't post any insults. Constantly missing the point and continuously implying hostile intent when there is absolutely none just implies a lack of reading apprehension unless CCP staff members are trolling, paranoid or intentionally hostile towards their customers as indicated by threatening them for offering constructive criticism.

Since all the latter options are clearly impossible, the former is the only logical conclusion.

So I kindly ask:

Why is sending CCs of warnings to customers evemail accounts non-debatable?

I raised several examples of why it would greatly improve the effectiveness of warnings, but I'll refrain from repeating them to not spam the forums with the same thing.

My sincerest apologies for anything that could be misinterpreted as sarcasm in any of my posts. I'm clearly incapable of any form of sarcasm due to being too dumb and English not being my native language, so that would be flat out impossible.

My humblest regards

LCO
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
CCP Falcon
#318 - 2012-11-20 00:54:39 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
...truncated post...

Except no ban was discussed in the thread.

It was a thread about poor customer service.

How would you feel if you complained to a company about poor customer service and they said 'Our Customer Support contact details are listed on our website'

I think you guys really could benefit from some customer service training.

I'd probably make a compliant through the correct channels as instructed, if I had genuine concerns. Smile

Frying Doom
#319 - 2012-11-20 02:30:06 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

I'd probably make a compliant through the correct channels as instructed, if I had genuine concerns. Smile

Thank you for your lack of assistance, complaint sent.

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#320 - 2012-11-20 05:19:20 UTC

I wasn't complaining, I was suggesting supposedly easily to implement features to avoid escalations.

CCP Falcon wrote:

Once again, we do not send EVEmail. [truncated to not spam the forums with the same thing]

We do not send EVEmail to people regarding forum warnings and bans, this is fact [truncated to not spam the forums with the same thing]

Yes - I am all too well aware of that. In fact that was the very point I was criticising.

CCP Falcon wrote:

I didn't post any insults. Constantly missing the point and continuously implying hostile intent when there is absolutely none just implies a lack of reading apprehension unless CCP staff members are trolling, paranoid or intentionally hostile towards their customers as indicated by threatening them for offering constructive criticism.

Since all the latter options are clearly impossible, the former is the only logical conclusion.

So I kindly ask:

Why is sending CCs of warnings to customers evemail accounts non-debatable?

I raised several examples of why it would greatly improve the effectiveness of warnings, but I'll refrain from repeating them to not spam the forums with the same thing.

My sincerest apologies for anything that could be misinterpreted as sarcasm in any of my posts. I'm clearly incapable of any form of sarcasm due to being too dumb and English not being my native language, so that would be flat out impossible.

My humblest regards

LCO

Simple answer.
Because CCP decided it is.

Speculative answers
Because depending on your API settings other people may be able to read your evemail and they prefer to keep 'official' (as in GM) communications secret.

Because they dont want the extra traffic on the eve mail system that such a change would inevitably lead to.

Because its adding a needless extra bit of work for someone dealing with a problem when they already have contact information for you and its not up to CCP to do extra work purely to make your life easier.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome