These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Unified Inventory Changes

First post First post First post
Author
Faith Patrouette
Careless Carebears Inc.
#821 - 2012-05-25 12:25:38 UTC
Rommiee wrote:
Quote:

Quotes from CCP Hillmar blog.

And the classic quote from that blog....

Quote:
The greatest lesson for me is the realization that EVE belongs to you, and we at CCP are just the hosts of your experience

So, what happened to that, then ?

What happened is, he said it.. and he didn't do anything with it after everyone bought it as a sincere apology and thought they would actually start doing what they said..
Chaos Dreams
#822 - 2012-05-25 12:25:59 UTC
As it stands now, this seems like another half finished feature inflicted on us before it was finished/ready.

Windows have to be made persistent, so that they stay opened and the correct size and position as you switch ships, relog, undock and redock, etc. Having to navigate through nested-menu-hell every time you redock and want access your items or switch ships is beyond frustrating.

Dragging/dropping from loot containers needs to be fixed, because as convenient as "Loot All" is you sometimes don't want everything.

When you're dragging an item to another hangar on the tree, pausing for a second over another hangar needs to stop opening that hangar. If I'm trying to sort a pile of stuff into separate hangars I'm doing a lot of dragging and dropping, and I'm tired of pausing to make sure I have the right hangar and being sent once more into nested-menu-hell.

The new inventory system has to be better integrated with the neocom. There should be an option to bind certain hangar(s) to buttons on the neocom, so you can click one button and open your most often used inventories. Again, avoiding nested-menu-hell.

I like the filters, and I like the option of the tree view in certain circumstances. But in many more circumstances navigating with the tree/nested-menus is way more cumbersome and time consuming than the previous inventory. I'm all for improvements, but make sure they actually are an improvement before you release them. As a general rule, that means not reducing/removing functionality we already enjoy. That's not an improvement. That's in fact making things worse.
Urgg Boolean
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#823 - 2012-05-25 12:36:42 UTC
Caneb wrote:
You're all just mad because the new inventory made your bots stop working.

A rough estimate of those angry about the new UI is 90%. So you are implying that 90% of the EvE player base are mad because our bots are broken. Yeah right. I respect the Goons, but this Gooney logic makes no sense.

I salvage a lot from L4s and exploration sites. Right now, the Unified Inventory is NOT USABLE. I have backed that up by identifying and posting many tightly specific problems to help fix the situation. I participated in the pre-release testing on SiSi. Very little of a very large and valid compendium of data has been acknowledged and/or acted upon by CCP.

CCP seems to have forgotten that a game MUST be fun, or NOBODY will play it.
CCP seems to have forgotten that there is a large number of games to choose from, all with excellent UIs.
CCP seems to have forgotten that almost all players have experienced other MMOs with their excellent UIs, thus setting expectations, or "industry standards" if you will.

Many current players have identified the Unified Inventory as a game breaker. I judge it's value based upon what a new player would think if they utilized the free trial for the first time. I doubt few, if any, would disagree that a new player would go "WTF is this ****" and uninstall the game.

I have often referenced my circle of PvP friends (we play TFII and Black Prophecy together). They have always HATED the EvE UI and cited that as one of many reasons why they would never play EvE. When I showed them the new Unified Inventory, a long and awkward silence ensued. My friends stood there looking at my screen with jaws agape. Finally, one friend broke the silence and said, "Dude? Why do you want to play EvE?" You can imagine how my thinking is being shaped when my circle of friends requests barf bags when they see the new UI.

I look at it this way: if my boss came to me and said, "This is how we are doing things now", I'd deal with it because I'm paid to work. But this situation is the opposite: I pay CCP to participate in EvE, but I feel that the only way I would accept the Unified Inventory is if I was paid to do so.
Callidus Dux
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#824 - 2012-05-25 12:51:13 UTC
Oh no! Is it possible that CCP gets dumber every day?
Now there is another Thread from another CCP guy who asks "How should we improve the inventory UI?".
Read the EXISTING Threads and do not split the whole community into different locations in the forum!

You have your feedback, You got your feedback from SiSi and the minority of the community hates your sh!t.

At least build a version so that I, and all others, are able to rebuild the old UI 100%; 1to1 again.
NO one need all information in one window. WE demand hundreds of its own, adjustable in size and position, windows.
We demand the exact copy of the old UI!

And please stop introduceing more threads HOW SHOULD WE FIX IT? You have your comments:

Here
HERE
HERE!!!
HERE!!!!!!

They all say: bring back the old view. Nothing others. Just the old, hundreds of own windows, view!
How many threads do you need more till you have found out, that your UI is absolute crapsh!t and that it is impossible to rescue this project?

BRING BACK THE EXACT COPY OF THE OLD UI!!! 100% and 1to1 as it was before 22.05.2012!!!!!!!!!!!!! X
With every further question and next thread you will bring more hate into the community! STOP IT! Just roll back!
Jebediah MacAhab Dallocort
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#825 - 2012-05-25 12:58:08 UTC
CCP, you wanted this to be the discussion thread about the Unified Inventory issues, so get your butts in here and quit opening new threads about the same ****. Trying to spread the issue all over the place is only going to inflame the situation, so stop cowering and start fixing ****.

How to Improve Quality Assurance at CCP

Professional Programmer, DBA, Game Developer and Systems Analyst

Ribikoka
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#826 - 2012-05-25 13:08:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ribikoka
Urgg Boolean wrote:
Many current players have identified the Unified Inventory as a game breaker. I judge it's value based upon what a new player would think if they utilized the free trial for the first time. I doubt few, if any, would disagree that a new player would go "WTF is this ****" and uninstall the game.

Really not ? I brought 14 new players to the game in the last 2 months, all of this players without exceptions feel anger for this crap inventory.
6 players instantly left from the game the others thinking about it. Before this changes, all of them enjoyed the game, but now not.
Many old friends told to me, they wont renew their subscriptions too, they will waiting when CCP will realise they made a mistake and they will try to fix this again. They dont want to pay for a half finished work. They want playing and fun. But this new inventory item just frustate them and that's not really fun.
ISD Libertina
ISD STAR
ISD Alliance
#827 - 2012-05-25 13:11:41 UTC
Mar Drakar wrote:
ISD Libertina wrote:
Mar Drakar wrote:
You know why we never use drag drop in windows?

we use CTRL+C(X) and then CTRL+V

CCP MAKE THIS HAPPEN, give me "pick up items", "put items" jsut as I do with text, files ... if windows can decide that I want to paste text into notepad, and file into folder, geez make it so that I can "paste/move" items into current hangar.

This already works, you have to have something selected to cut and have a target location selected to paste.

why no blog mentioned it ? Will check when at home... this better be true.

As per CCP Optimal, this was sadly forgotten in the original blog but mentioned in linked post.

Libertina - Vice Admiral

Support, Training And Resources

Interstellar Services Department

Kasriel
#828 - 2012-05-25 13:16:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Kasriel
hey hey guys, i've got this great idea, it's called unified HUD, now we all know that the opposite to many is one right?

http://imgur.com/KYW6Z

oh wait. that's an 8+ year old screenshot that Optimal worked on changing when he decided that everything being jammed together was a bad thing.

source:
http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=831
Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#829 - 2012-05-25 13:34:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Fabulousli Obvious
Urgg Boolean wrote:
CCP seems to have forgotten that there is a large number of games to choose from, all with excellent UIs.

Civ V is great now. New Expansion introducing 10 different Religions mechanic on June 12.

Now THAT'S new content.

I thank CCP for giving me the opportunity to re-explore some of these forgotten older games.

I am NOT YOUNG ENOUGH to know EVERYTHING.  ~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

Ribikoka
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#830 - 2012-05-25 13:37:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Ribikoka
Fabulousli Obvious wrote:
Urgg Boolean wrote:

Civ V is great now. New Expansion introducing 10 different Religions mechanic on June 12.

Now THAT'S new content.

I thank CCP for giving me the opportunity to re-explore some of these forgotten older games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MM1AFpN6rh4

Our new content coming.
So, why we wasting our money here with a half finished work ?
Or just find something on http://www.spacesector.com/
Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#831 - 2012-05-25 13:41:53 UTC
We can only hope: http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=33

I am NOT YOUNG ENOUGH to know EVERYTHING.  ~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#832 - 2012-05-25 13:47:16 UTC
Urgg Boolean wrote:
Caneb wrote:
You're all just mad because the new inventory made your bots stop working.

A rough estimate of those angry about the new UI is 90%. So you are implying that 90% of the EvE player base are mad because our bots are broken. Yeah right. I respect the Goons, but this Gooney logic makes no sense.

I salvage a lot from L4s and exploration sites. Right now, the Unified Inventory is NOT USABLE. I have backed that up by identifying and posting many tightly specific problems to help fix the situation. I participated in the pre-release testing on SiSi. Very little of a very large and valid compendium of data has been acknowledged and/or acted upon by CCP.

CCP seems to have forgotten that almost all players have experienced other MMOs with their excellent UIs, thus setting expectations, or "industry standards" if you will.

I have often referenced my circle of PvP friends (we play TFII and Black Prophecy together). They have always HATED the EvE UI and cited that as one of many reasons why they would never play EvE. When I showed them the new Unified Inventory, a long and awkward silence ensued. My friends stood there looking at my screen with jaws agape. Finally, one friend broke the silence and said, "Dude? Why do you want to play EvE?" You can imagine how my thinking is being shaped when my circle of friends requests barf bags when they see the new UI.

I look at it this way: if my boss came to me and said, "This is how we are doing things now", I'd deal with it because I'm paid to work. But this situation is the opposite: I pay CCP to participate in EvE, but I feel that the only way I would accept the Unified Inventory is if I was paid to do so.

I haven't played EVE much since the update as the sun is out which is a rare event in the UK so we have to take advantage of that. Smile BUT I have had a bit of a look at the new combined ship hangar/inventory and I have to say it makes Outlook Express look user-friendly. Not wishing to get personal but I sometimes wonder if CCP Soundwave should be moved to another division of CCP and get someone in who is a bit more thoughtful and logical. It's just 'The Door' all over again.
There are things that need fixing - corporation and POS roles etc probably should be top of the list before anything else - so why can we not have some work done on broken things and not mend things that are not broken and we were very happy with. QuestionQuestion
Asmodes Reynolds
Rayn Enterprises
#833 - 2012-05-25 13:51:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Asmodes Reynolds
Kasriel wrote:
hey hey guys, i've got this great idea, it's called unified HUD, now we all know that the opposite to many is one right?

http://imgur.com/KYW6Z

oh wait. that's an 8+ year old screenshot that Optimal worked on changing when he decided that everything being jammed together was a bad thing.

source:
http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=831

I would like to thank Kasriel for pointing this dev blog, I think it correctly illustrates CCP's attitude back then compared their attitude now. especially in this quote"

CCP Optimal's dev blog wrote:

Releasing new features as BETA before fully integrating them into the game is a new concept we at CCP are trying out and the new NeoCom will be one of the first features to get such royal treatment. The idea here is to make the introduction of new features a smoother experience, both for developers and players. To enable a BETA feature, one must go to the "General settings" tab of system menu (ESC) and press the relevant button in the bottom left corner. Should this iteration of the new feature not meet your expectations, you can simply turn it off for the time being and tell us why you did so on the forums. Even though SISI has proven a great play testing tool, we feel confident that trying out new features on TQ where you are actually playing the game will provide better feedback than we‘ve been able to get in the past.

We already have plenty of ideas for iterations beyond the BETA, such as allowing alignment to any side of the screen, customizable names and colors of groups and adding more visual polish but we want more! Is there anything blatantly missing from the current design? Are there windows you would like to be directly accessible through the EVE menu? Do you have an idea for a special NeoCom button that would make your life easier? If so, please don't hesitate to tell us on the forums (and we might listen).

I would like to call your attention to the bolded portion , they're trying out a new feature, to get a wider opinion rather than the SiSi testers, however you have to opt in to it. The bold and underlined portion is what they are currently doing to us. note the fact that they're forcing it on you unable to disable it.

CCP what happens to your player driven experience motto.

Care to make a comment on why your attitude is changed? didn't think so.....
Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#834 - 2012-05-25 13:54:24 UTC
Celgar Thurn wrote:
Not wishing to get personal but I sometimes wonder if CCP Soundwave should be moved to another division of CCP and get someone in who is a bit more thoughtful and logical. It's just 'The Door' all over again.

Thank you for SAYING it. His Vision for the game is somewhat at odds with most players indeed. Great ideas, but there is no 'filter'.

Celgar Thurn wrote:

There are things that need fixing - corporation and POS roles etc probably should be top of the list before anything else - so why can we not have some work done on broken things and not mend things that are not broken and we were very happy with. QuestionQuestion

The fraking Corporation Management Window, which I have personally waited 2 years on, and still leaves me standing in the rain holding the bouquet.

Etharion Calthon
Perkone
Caldari State
#835 - 2012-05-25 14:04:42 UTC
Well....thankfully I was quoted in post #537. I was very critical of CCP in an earlier post, and it was censored. Now I see my post discussing be censored, was also censored. I guess I have no free speech in CCP's forums.

THE TRUTH HURTS DOESN'T IT?

The person doing the sacking, who just sacked the sacker, has just been sacked.

Also noted was Soundwave post that Monday was a PUBLIC holiday. Umm, CCP is a *private* enterprise, so
why weren't you working around the clock fixing the game?

Oh, where are my manners....you were OFF drinking beer toasting your lastest lame patch.

I'm done. Have a nice weekend.

SOMEONE QUOTE this so when they censor it will still be seen. Thanks!
Maul555
Xen Investments
#836 - 2012-05-25 14:04:54 UTC
Yonis Kador wrote:
Well, I managed to run three whole missions today. Go me. But I dislike the everything-in-one-window UI so much, I'm just going to bed. So frustrated. My favorite game is broken. After reading endless testimonials of players with similar sentiments, I can't believe CCP is pushing forward with this disaster. The amount of goodwill being destroyed by doing so is depressing. This UI should have never hit Tranquility.

But alas, all this has been written....repeatedly. Before I go for now, I also noticed tonight that I can no longer "look at" my drones in space. All I see now is a green box with a white cross in it. No drone. I restarted the client and the computer - same thing - my drones are gone. Since I constantly "look at" various ships, drones, etc, when in combat, this is yet another issue affecting my gameplay post-Inferno.

Can all of you see your drones in space? I saw them fine before the "upgrade."

One bit of good news, if you can call it that, is that we're up to 20K players tonight from last night's 18K.

Bon soir.

Yonis Kador

Wow if drones cannot be looked at then this must be fixed. Why is CCP in the habit of destroying long standing features lately?
Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#837 - 2012-05-25 14:14:41 UTC
Asmodes Reynolds wrote:

I would like to call your attention to the bolded portion , they're trying out a new feature, to get a wider opinion rather than the SiSi testers, however you have to opt in to it.

And they are really being stupid here. There has been nothing added to the ddiscussion that is new beyond anything any of us posted on the sisi test Forum for them. It was ALL there, and the opinions off of TQ are just now endless reiterations of every single thing we noted.

Yes, I'm mad bro.

Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#838 - 2012-05-25 14:22:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Fabulousli Obvious
Etharion Calthon wrote:
Well....thankfully I was quoted in post #537. I was very critical of CCP in an earlier post, and it was censored. Now I see my post discussing be censored, was also censored. I guess I have no free speech in CCP's forums.

THE TRUTH HURTS DOESN'T IT?

The person doing the sacking, who just sacked the sacker, has just been sacked.

Also noted was Soundwave post that Monday was a PUBLIC holiday. Umm, CCP is a *private* enterprise, so
why weren't you working around the clock fixing the game?

Oh, where are my manners....you were OFF drinking beer toasting your lastest lame patch.

I'm done. Have a nice weekend.

SOMEONE QUOTE this so when they censor it will still be seen. Thanks!

no problem

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#839 - 2012-05-25 14:30:41 UTC
Callidus Dux wrote:
Oh no! Is it possible that CCP gets dumber every day?
Now there is another Thread from another CCP guy who asks "How should we improve the inventory UI?".
Read the EXISTING Threads and do not split the whole community into different locations in the forum!

You have your feedback, You got your feedback from SiSi and the minority of the community hates your sh!t.

At least build a version so that I, and all others, are able to rebuild the old UI 100%; 1to1 again.
NO one need all information in one window. WE demand hundreds of its own, adjustable in size and position, windows.
We demand the exact copy of the old UI!

And please stop introduceing more threads HOW SHOULD WE FIX IT? You have your comments:

Here
HERE
HERE!!!
HERE!!!!!!

Hey it's no problem. We don't use EvE's smart UI to post. Therefore we can open new tabs and even new windows to reply to all the new threads. Cool
Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#840 - 2012-05-25 14:37:14 UTC
Callidus Dux wrote:

It's called "Divide and Conquer".