These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Grow some extremely durable genitalia.

First post First post
Author
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#781 - 2012-06-05 15:58:37 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:

Do you know what the word "sycophant" means?

sycophant = Mittani

>>>>> CLICK ME <<<<<
Selissa Shadoe
#782 - 2012-06-05 16:51:13 UTC
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
But don't you worry my killers aren't going to let up. I'll be logged in 23/7 for the duration of us hunting you. Welcome to EVE offline.

.. and the griefer's mindset is revealed.

"Whether suicide ganking or doing anything in eve, there are exorbitant amounts of people in the game and on the forums that are complete jerks." - Spikeflach

Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#783 - 2012-06-06 12:30:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
Selissa Shadoe wrote:
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
But don't you worry my killers aren't going to let up. I'll be logged in 23/7 for the duration of us hunting you. Welcome to EVE offline.

.. and the griefer's mindset is revealed.

And the intelligence of the candyass is revealed right here. It doesn't realize the only way to actually kill a target against its will, with local chat available, is by numbing the target to ones presence and catching it off guard. Sadly the game isn't worth 15 bucks a month to have to camp at this level for a targeted kill. Losing training time is for my corp and im sure others no longer the percieved loss it once was.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#784 - 2012-06-06 13:04:23 UTC
I'd love to see how you believe people would be able to avoid getting ganked in hisec while at war, using your system of no local.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#785 - 2012-06-06 13:12:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
Ganked in war. That right there folks is why EVE online will always be a niche game. It requires to much time to do anything worthwhile and when you try and improve the system you get asked about a gank in war. Is war one on one Zim? No? Then who in the hell cares?

Why i'm answering you at this point is beyond me, but Zim the answer is exactly how they do now.

It's almost like your notion of balance revolves around being able to avoid death in all situations including bad situations .

I'll be waiting for your next terribad question where i'm forced to explain to you the docking timer mechanism. Followed up by you asking about fragile industrial ships while ignoring that leaving the corp in war is a good idea for non combat pilots.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#786 - 2012-06-06 13:31:42 UTC
What, have you suddenly started caring about nullsec/lowsec again?

RIP Vile Rat

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#787 - 2012-06-06 13:39:57 UTC
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
Ganked in war. That right there folks is why EVE online will always be a niche game. It requires to much time to do anything worthwhile and when you try and improve the system you get asked about a gank in war. Is war one on one Zim? No? Then who in the hell cares?

Why i'm answering you at this point is beyond me, but Zim the answer is exactly how they do now.

It's almost like your notion of balance revolves around being able to avoid death in all situations including bad situations .

I'll be waiting for your next terribad question where i'm forced to explain to you the docking timer mechanism. Followed up by you asking about fragile industrial ships while ignoring that leaving the corp in war is a good idea for non combat pilots.

Non-consensual pvp (of all stripes) and the "Science Fiction Universe" is why it will remain a "niche game". Most people are used to (through exposure to various media, other games, fiction writing and mythology) and more comfortable in a "fantasy" type setting. The Star Wars/Star Trek settings have their fans, but they *also* have their own games that appeal to those demographics, so Eve isn't going to draw a lot of them away as those people are comfortable with the background knowledge and setting than learning an entirely new setting.

Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit (and to a greater/lesser degree) The comic book superheros draw larger audiences than science fiction movies (in *GENERAL*). Hell, Avatar follows a more mythological storyline than a techie/sci-fi storyline, even though the setting is entirely futuristic/sci-fi/technology advanced. Lets not even *talk* about the 12 million people who have played or are playing WoW... So Eve isn't going to draw a lot of *those* people.

While *I* personally wouldn't lose any sleep over the removal of local in all spaces, until something is done regarding static *everything* in hi/low/null, removing local would significantly increase the danger (perceived or otherwise) that other players would have to consider before they even *joined* the game, let alone encourage more people to move from hi-sec to low or Null. Hell, one of the biggest danger mitigating factors in low-sec and Null-sec *IS* local, and still people refuse/avoid going there for the most part.

Question to you is "How would *removing* local get those people interested in going to Low/Null sec space?" I cannot see how people who avoid danger as much as possible would be encouraged to travel further out "on the limb" (so to speak) with this change.

My guess is that if they're not going now, removing local would be a further limiting factor on people going to those spaces, and would be a new incentive for people to leave hi-sec (if that is all they're comfortable with) and leave the game as well.

Seriously - if your going to suggest removing local - *YOU* have to address all the changes it would address. Also, if you wish to be taken seriously by CCP (or others) losing the snarky attitude would go a long way to help you.

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#788 - 2012-06-06 13:45:40 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

you seem to be truly interested in this thread, you should go jump on your main and come put some spine behind your opinion.

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#789 - 2012-06-06 13:52:06 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:

you seem to be truly interested in this thread, you should go jump on your main and come put some spine behind your opinion.

He's a 2005 character, which you would know if you bothered to check...

I'm willing to bet that *IS* his main, as this is mine...

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#790 - 2012-06-06 13:53:03 UTC
Asuri Kinnes wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:

It's one of many "mains", which char I use depends on what I feel like doing at the time.

RIP Vile Rat

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#791 - 2012-06-06 13:56:56 UTC
Asuri Kinnes wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:

you think i didn't check, lol and you think there isn't 2005 alts, lol yea,, ok Roll
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#792 - 2012-06-06 13:58:58 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Asuri Kinnes wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:

It's one of many "mains", which char I use depends on what I feel like doing at the time.

you mean like if your talking shite on the forums and trolling you use lord zim,, i get ya, Blink

thanks for clearing that up for me.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#793 - 2012-06-06 14:00:07 UTC
back on topic or GTFO !
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#794 - 2012-06-06 14:02:53 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
you mean like if your talking shite on the forums and trolling you use lord zim,, i get ya, Blink

If you mean "posting", then yes, I've chosen this char as my posting char, in addition to its in-game responsibilities. I could start using all the other alts if you'd like, but that wouldn't add anything to the discussion. vOv

RIP Vile Rat

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#795 - 2012-06-06 14:05:07 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
Lord Zim wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:

If you mean "posting", then yes, I've chosen this char as my posting char, in addition to its in-game responsibilities. I could start using all the other alts if you'd like, but that wouldn't add anything to the discussion. vOv

again thanks for clearing that up for me,, now,, got anything to add to this fine discussion ?

PS: i'm going to play me some BF3 for a while, i'll check in later and reply to whatever you add.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#796 - 2012-06-06 14:52:38 UTC
Asuri Kinnes wrote:
Question to you is "How would *removing* local get those people interested in going to Low/Null sec space?" I cannot see how people who avoid danger as much as possible would be encouraged to travel further out "on the limb" (so to speak) with this change.

My guess is that if they're not going now, removing local would be a further limiting factor on people going to those spaces, and would be a new incentive for people to leave hi-sec (if that is all they're comfortable with) and leave the game as well.

Seriously - if your going to suggest removing local - *YOU* have to address all the changes it would address. Also, if you wish to be taken seriously by CCP (or others) losing the snarky attitude would go a long way to help you.

Greetings Asuri, it is a pleasure to address you.

Observing the behavior of these areas, (Low and Null), it is fair to say they are more challenging to play in. Simple reason being obvious, and unlikely to change. That being: Concord is not going to intervene on behalf of the attacked. This is a clear indication that High sec is intended to be less dangerous.

In High Sec:
Removing local will impact both carebears and aggressive PvP aficionados equally, so it doesn't favor one or the other. Many would claim the current version does favor the aggressive type, simply because it gives them immediate at a glance intel without actually revealing their intentions.
The carebears, by comparison, have no way of knowing someone is hunting, as local displays through traffic impartially right next to homicidal glee entries.
How would removing local balance this?
The carebear would only be aware of traffic in their immediate vicinity, if set properly. Exclude the travel paths, and your scanner will only report those approaching your area deliberately. This grants a far more useful level of intel when deciding if a defensive reaction is called for. It also requires greater vigilance, as the carebear now has less potential time to react.

The hunter, in exchange, can hide themselves in regular traffic, and try to scan down targets faster than they have a chance to react. This makes the hunter role more challenging, and that also makes a kill more rewarding. Their is no real sense of achievement from roasting a marshmallow, so a kill that is harder to get is sweeter.

In Low and Null:
Removing local has now trained pilots, by starting in high sec without it, to be more self reliant, and to fly cautiously. Gone is the sense of oblivious safety, and thank goodness since it was an illusion that kept many from leaving high sec's playpen.
It would be illogical for players to assume, coming into the game as new, that they would be given training wheels like free intel in all areas. Sure, they might expect it in the tutorial at first, but genuine gameplay is not thrilling if their is no sense of threat or at least unknown...

We're talking about space here, cold and deadly. Not the backyard at grandma's house.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#797 - 2012-06-06 15:14:57 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Removing local has now trained pilots, by starting in high sec without it, to be more self reliant, and to fly cautiously.

You're implying that people in hisec pay much attention to who's in local unless they're wardecced (if even then, until they get ganked the first time)?

RIP Vile Rat

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#798 - 2012-06-06 15:21:42 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Removing local has now trained pilots, by starting in high sec without it, to be more self reliant, and to fly cautiously.

You're implying that people in hisec pay much attention to who's in local unless they're wardecced (if even then, until they get ganked the first time)?

Not at all.

They have a sense of oblivious safety, an illusion that keeps many from leaving high sec's playpen.

This means they pay no attention, assuming far too much.

If they realize they are war decced, too many just try to watch for the "bad names" in local chat.

They are playing, in too many ways, EVE Lite, and are resistant to the level of effort and discipline needed outside of High Sec.

The illusions they are operating with deny them the perspective needed, and local is a big supporter of these illusions.
Katalci
Kismesis
#799 - 2012-06-06 19:58:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Katalci
Keep local, remove the display of standings in the chat window.

Or, keep local, but have the appearance of new people jumping in be delayed for either 1 minute flat, or until they decloak.

Or, remove local completely, and improve the directional scanner UI. Make it easier to use (angle and range settings should be ) and possibly have a setting where you can set it to automatically refresh rather than require you to press a button every few seconds.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#800 - 2012-06-07 08:27:42 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
Lord Zim wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

come on zim, pilots in null sec low sec and high sec are all guilty of the very same thing, it's not a high sec stupid pilot thing ,, it's a stupid pilot thing, a bad habit formed from somewhere, i happen to believe it's a bad habit formed from using local or letting others in the fleet/corp/alliance warn them of reds in local.

it's a hey others are watching so meh, TV is far more interesting until i hear someone in vent/ts scream reds/war targets in local.
you see it everyday in intel channels for null/lowsec/highsec.
not even a wardec makes people snap out of it, people are lazy, and having local in it's current state lends to the lazyness.

i've seen the very same pilots go into a WH and say, how come nobody is showing in local, you reply with they don't show up unless they talk in local, the respond with, so how do i know if anyone is watching me,, i reply you don't ! so keep spamming d scan and stay alert !
then guess what, 5 minutes later the same pilot says, i just saw a SB on d scan flash on then off, i think we better align.

oh and don't say ,, then **** off to a WH, i've been there done that, sometimes still raid the odd one now and then.
i'm seeing a good mechanic in WH that i'd like to see introduced to all systems. it might happen, it might not happen.
i'm just giving my pennies worth here.