These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Blowing up AFK miners. What do you think?

First post
Author
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#61 - 2016-05-24 12:09:24 UTC
If you're AFK in space you deserve to explode. If you need to go AFK dock or log off.
Solonius Rex
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2016-05-24 12:33:44 UTC
Gardav wrote:
Back to the question of the OP... AFK? I don't. If I ever need to go AFK, and I do, I dock up. Period.

I have in real life a disease that requires me to step away from my keyboard often without notice, and sometimes for quite a few minutes. I won't do AFK in EVE or usually any MMO. Doesn't make sense.

So do I think AFK Miners should get blown up? Nope. I don't Mine to make ISK so I don't get excited when I see someone else get popped, I would rather they have the smarts to just dock up if needed.


If you dont AFK mine, why are you against AFK miners being blown up?
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#63 - 2016-05-25 11:23:40 UTC
Blood Retributor wrote:


Regarding to mission running, I can say that they are good for learning the game mechanics and how to use different tools for their intended purposes. As for getting ISK to get decent ships and fittings, not so much.


Mission running is profitable because of the LP not the isk based mission rewards. To make good isk mission running you need to speed run them and not try and kill and loot everything. You can earn as much as 200 million isk per hour running high sec level 4 missions. Lasted that I checked high sec mining on a single character with no hauler and no boosts and the small roids in high sec was worth single digit millions per hour.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#64 - 2016-05-25 13:28:53 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Lasted that I checked high sec mining on a single character with no hauler and no boosts and the small roids in high sec was worth single digit millions per hour.
It's not single digits, but it was below 20m last time I did it in a Procurer.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Lisbeth Riraille
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2016-05-25 13:43:17 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Lasted that I checked high sec mining on a single character with no hauler and no boosts and the small roids in high sec was worth single digit millions per hour.
It's not single digits, but it was below 20m last time I did it in a Procurer.



Yeah, it doesn't take too long to move up from a Venture to a Proc at around 30 mil a pop, but you really need one in hand in case of a gank, and after that there's a much steeper rise to about 300mil for a T2 miner. Which can take ratter a long time.

I think it's a pity Eve isn't quite as 'complex' as new players might mistakenly think it is. I recall playing years ago, seeing the banking scams and at the time I assumed that there were actually legitimate player banks in Eve as well, and ot would be part of the harsh play of Eve to try to identify the legit ones from the ponzi scammers.

This time round, I've discovered that there are no non-scam banks players can borrow isk from. It's better I know this, but it makes Eve a smaller game knowing that the economy isn't more anagolous to RL.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#66 - 2016-05-26 02:54:11 UTC
Lisbeth Riraille wrote:


This time round, I've discovered that there are no non-scam banks players can borrow isk from. It's better I know this, but it makes Eve a smaller game knowing that the economy isn't more anagolous to RL.

Banks scamming people out of money?! How is that not like real life?

Seriously though there was a time when there was at least one bank that I know of in which you could borrow isk or invest in the bank. It went on for a long while until the funds got so big someone at the top stole it all and sold the isk for real life money and made something like 50K USD. iirc he said it was for some surgery for his kid or something like that. Anyway the publicity from that scared away the legitimate investors and attracted a mob of scammer types. So now it is what you see but it did not always used to be that way.

I think the economy of Eve is much closer to real life than you realize. It's just that in Eve you are much closer to the big business end of things so you see stuff that in real life only occurs in board rooms.

There are a couple lessons that I've learned in my years. One from my father when he told me that "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". I know it was a quote from someone else but it stuck with me and I've noticed it to be true. True enough that I don't enter into business or have dealing with anyone unless we are on equal footing.

The second thing that I have learned is that be it a bank or a pension fund or a mutual fund or a publicly traded stock or commodity... any time that you get a large pool of people's money together someone will find a way to steal a chunck of it.

I cold go off on a long rant about life lessons and money but my main point is that to me the Eve economy is scarily real and there are many professors of economics that agree with me on this.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Solonius Rex
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2016-05-26 04:54:37 UTC
Lisbeth Riraille wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Lasted that I checked high sec mining on a single character with no hauler and no boosts and the small roids in high sec was worth single digit millions per hour.
It's not single digits, but it was below 20m last time I did it in a Procurer.



Yeah, it doesn't take too long to move up from a Venture to a Proc at around 30 mil a pop, but you really need one in hand in case of a gank, and after that there's a much steeper rise to about 300mil for a T2 miner. Which can take ratter a long time.

I think it's a pity Eve isn't quite as 'complex' as new players might mistakenly think it is. I recall playing years ago, seeing the banking scams and at the time I assumed that there were actually legitimate player banks in Eve as well, and ot would be part of the harsh play of Eve to try to identify the legit ones from the ponzi scammers.

This time round, I've discovered that there are no non-scam banks players can borrow isk from. It's better I know this, but it makes Eve a smaller game knowing that the economy isn't more anagolous to RL.


There are some honest bankers out there, Maleketh comes to mind where he frequents the market discussion forums. There are a lot of bond traders and what not too, and a lot of people lend their money out to multiple people, which is not unlike banks on a smaller scale.
Tisiphone Dira
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2016-05-26 06:56:01 UTC
Just read the OP, you won't get anywhere thinking of yourself as a little fish being bullied by the big mean nulls sec dwelling fish. You need an entrepreneurial spirit. I was told it was impossible to earn billions as a newbie. I flew to Jita and observed the locals. Earnt 700 a day, no skills by scamming. It's not CODE keeping you down, it's the liers with no imagination or ambition keeping you at their level. It's not powerful market manipulator keeping you down. It's you.

There once was a ganker named tisi

A stunningly beautiful missy

To gank a gross miner

There is nothing finer, cept when they get all pissy

lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#69 - 2016-05-26 13:11:16 UTC
Gardav wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Still trying to figure out why people that find mining boring keep on mining.


Because some like to Mine. some actually enjoy it. It's not about ISK. Some to Mine. Some like to kill, some like to do markets, some like to explore... and some like to Mine.

It's cool that you like to mine, and aren't stupid about it.

However, like Tau said (especially the bit you bolded), why do people keep doing something that they find boring? if a person liked mining, then they wouldn't find it boring, right? And similarly if someone found something boring, they wouldn't like it, right?
Gardav
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#70 - 2016-05-26 19:36:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Gardav
lollerwaffle wrote:
Gardav wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Still trying to figure out why people that find mining boring keep on mining.


Because some like to Mine. some actually enjoy it. It's not about ISK. Some to Mine. Some like to kill, some like to do markets, some like to explore... and some like to Mine.

It's cool that you like to mine, and aren't stupid about it.

However, like Tau said (especially the bit you bolded), why do people keep doing something that they find boring? if a person liked mining, then they wouldn't find it boring, right? And similarly if someone found something boring, they wouldn't like it, right?


With the atmosphere in EvE about Mining you expect Players to come on these forums and admit they like it? With their Mains? I think there's many more Players that enjoy mining than will ever admit it now in EvE. Mining in EvE is like the football Jock in High School that secretly likes Drama Class and Algebra but don't dare admit it. I've seen comments in CAS chat by players saying they are mining again, and complain it's boring, and yet they do it over and over, and after a while it becomes obvious they DO like to Mine but are afraid or reluctant to admit it, because you're right, almost no one would continue to do what they can't stand in a game.

Secondly I could name dozens of other activates in EvE that at least some People find insanely boring, everything from mission running to gate camping, to convoy ops, playing the market, PI, you name it. Mining isn't the only boring thing in EvE, yet Players do these activities all the time. Add to this boring activities that have been a part of MMOs for years (and yet players still do them). Why? For the end result of course.

What result would spur a Player to do something they find boring? The feeling of accomplishment or the knowledge you helped your Corp reach a goal, or to see in Corp chat the excitement when the Corp issues some Players their new ships they have been training for. Seeing a dream become reality like building a station for instance. Like anything else in life it's not always about the shinies or what "I get", sometimes it's more.
Erin Oswell
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#71 - 2016-05-27 00:10:22 UTC
If something is profitable and outweighs the risk, people will do it and if they can do it afk even better for them but those who do nothing but afk activities deserve to loose their ships. Mining is relatively risk free because you get free ships from doing the starter missions to go mining with and you can fairly easily make the cost of the ship back pretty quickly if you know what to mine.

When I kill a new player I sometimes reimburse them with the cost of their ship plus a little extra or give them advice on how to avoid or minimize the chance of the same thing happening in the future. This helps to keep them motivated to play and helps them develop a much more positive attitude towards loss. It sucks to loose a ship, but it doesn't have to be a negative experience that causes you to loose interest in the game. That said it's even worse not to even get thanked when you show kindness or leniency to someone.

Rules of Acquisition #13: "Anything worth doing is worth doing for money"

Solonius Rex
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2016-05-27 03:53:54 UTC
Gardav wrote:
lollerwaffle wrote:
Gardav wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Still trying to figure out why people that find mining boring keep on mining.


Because some like to Mine. some actually enjoy it. It's not about ISK. Some to Mine. Some like to kill, some like to do markets, some like to explore... and some like to Mine.

It's cool that you like to mine, and aren't stupid about it.

However, like Tau said (especially the bit you bolded), why do people keep doing something that they find boring? if a person liked mining, then they wouldn't find it boring, right? And similarly if someone found something boring, they wouldn't like it, right?


With the atmosphere in EvE about Mining you expect Players to come on these forums and admit they like it? With their Mains? I think there's many more Players that enjoy mining than will ever admit it now in EvE. Mining in EvE is like the football Jock in High School that secretly likes Drama Class and Algebra but don't dare admit it. I've seen comments in CAS chat by players saying they are mining again, and complain it's boring, and yet they do it over and over, and after a while it becomes obvious they DO like to Mine but are afraid or reluctant to admit it, because you're right, almost no one would continue to do what they can't stand in a game.

Secondly I could name dozens of other activates in EvE that at least some People find insanely boring, everything from mission running to gate camping, to convoy ops, playing the market, PI, you name it. Mining isn't the only boring thing in EvE, yet Players do these activities all the time. Add to this boring activities that have been a part of MMOs for years (and yet players still do them). Why? For the end result of course.

What result would spur a Player to do something they find boring? The feeling of accomplishment or the knowledge you helped your Corp reach a goal, or to see in Corp chat the excitement when the Corp issues some Players their new ships they have been training for. Seeing a dream become reality like building a station for instance. Like anything else in life it's not always about the shinies or what "I get", sometimes it's more.


I dont really believe for a second that someone thinks mining afk is fun. I think the only "Fun" aspect of that is that they get isk for little effort while watching a movie or playing another game.

I used to play Ragnarok Online and i used Bots to level up/make money, and yeah, it was fun, but only because i was getting so much without any effort.
ISD Buldath
#73 - 2016-05-27 06:46:07 UTC
Topic Moved to Crime and punishment.

~ISD Buldath

Instructor King of the Forums! Knight of the General Discussion

Support, Training and Resources Division

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to EVE-Mails regarding forum moderation.

Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#74 - 2016-05-27 11:14:30 UTC
I'm OK with blowing up afk miners as long as it isn't one of MY afk miner alts. If that happens - it will be dealt with.
StonerPhReaK
Herb Men
#75 - 2016-05-27 11:22:17 UTC  |  Edited by: StonerPhReaK
Blowing up AFK miners. What do you think?

I think its good for the environment.

See: Fertilizer


Q: Where do asteroids come from?
A: The corpses of AFK miners.

Signatures wer cooler when we couldn't remove them completely.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#76 - 2016-05-27 11:35:26 UTC
StonerPhReaK wrote:

Q: Where do asteroids come from?
A: The corpses of AFK miners.

Q: Where do ice belts come from?
A: The frozen tears of AFK miners.
Memphis Baas
#77 - 2016-05-27 11:54:46 UTC
Which makes it all the more confusing when you're all talking about "salt". Because all you get from said ice (from tears) is radioactive water, ozone, and various isotopes. I'm not seeing sodium or chloride anywhere.

Thanks ISD Buldath for moving this thread here. It's not like it has any posts with info that would be useful to newbies.
Mike Adoulin
Happys Happy Hamster Hunting Club
#78 - 2016-05-27 19:54:23 UTC
Great Chribba.

If the OP is still reading this, here is my free advice:


Go get your FREE scout frigate (Heron, for example) by doing the career agent stuff.

Fit it PROPERLY for exploration. No civilian module crap. Given that new players START with around 400K SP now, there is absolutely no reason to use civilian crap.

Go to nullsec. Providence. Syndicate. ANYWHERE.

Use the wormholes to get there safe. Or not.

Explore your weasely little guts out.

Profit. And you WILL profit.

Dive into wormholes until you get back to hisec again. Its pretty easy.

Sell the phat loots.

Buy an Astero and rinse, recycle, repeat.

Become space rich. Hang out in starter systems and show off yer swag.

Start a corp and teach the newbro's how to explore like you do.

Oh, and be sure to kill all the Eve Uni members you see when in low or null..:)

Everything in EVE is a trap.

And if it isn't, it's your job to make it a trap...:)

You want to know what immorality in EVE Online looks like? Look no further than Ripard "Jester" Teg.

Chribba is the Chuck Norris of EVE.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#79 - 2016-05-27 23:07:15 UTC
Likewise, if ISK earning is so boring that you need to AFK while doing it, perhaps another method may serve you as well?
Train up some scanning skills, grab yourself a t1 frigate that has bonuses to scanning, and go looking for other people running missions.

Set your safety to yellow, scan them down and swipe the loot from their missions... then scoot out of there right quick if they lock you up. Most wont even target you, of those who do VERY few will be willing to shoot. They think it's a trap. Still, it's best to limit your chances for sudden detonation, so scurry off when things start looking scary.

You'll make some decent ISK with some excitement involved... ISK that someone else would have made if you hadn't grabbed it for yourself.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Areen Sassel
Dirac Angestun Gesept
#80 - 2016-05-29 15:22:25 UTC
Gardav wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Still trying to figure out why people that find mining boring keep on mining.
If it is only for AFK earning potential, then nobody should listen to them when they complain about getting ganked while mining.
When I'm mining, I'm way too busy to be AFK:
Mining Safely

Some just like to Mine.

Why is this simple basic thing so hard to understand?


Is it hard to understand? Who has trouble understanding it? Not Tau, to whom you replied, who mines themself and presumably enjoys it.

Obviously some people like to mine - don't see the appeal myself, but each to their own. But if you like to mine, won't you be at the keyboard, enjoying mining, and quite able to keep a lookout for any gankers?

What's Tau's talking about is people who - like the OP - don't enjoy mining. The OP describes it as "pretty boring", and in general I think it's safe to say that anyone who wants to go AFK and do something else doesn't enjoy mining. So why do it? It's not compulsory; I'm new enough to remember my early days, I only mined long enough to realise I never wanted to do it again, and I'm still space-rich enough to keep myself in ships...