These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Recurring Opportunities coming soon

First post
Author
Erihn Sabrovich
#1641 - 2016-04-14 22:52:14 UTC
Vasama wrote:
CCP is doing this all wrong. How about if it would be made so that unless you do the daily you would slowly deteriorate the existing skill points and by doing the daily you could hold to current SP level :).

Seriously I don't like the idea of daily. Some solutions how a new player could gain SP little faster would be welcomed but generic grind like that - no thank you.

If the daily is introduced I just wonder how many accounts will be unsubed due it, I see it as bigger threat to the game than walking stations. Does anyone remember why Hilmar apologized the players back then?

Vasama


Well, having a slow SP decay when you don't play could be a good idea too... but it should be something like

"after 1-2 month without connecting, begin to lose 0.0001% SP per day/week/..."

In other words, a "grace period" big enough to allow it to not be punnitive for people caugh up by RL and you should lose more if you've more SP.

Lost SP should be done beginning with the skills using the highest multiplicator first (harder to learn means easier to forget)



But it's not incompatible with some way to GAIN SP when you're active... The problem with the daily as is is that you've only one single way of getting these SP... It's no problem for miners/PvE who do the resquested activity anyway, should be no problem for PvP who can do it easily but there should be something for indus/traders/haulers

- haulers : allow to complete when you're doing X jumps
- traders : allow to complete when you're setting up/modifying X BO/SO
- Indust : allow to complete when you are refining/researching/building or when you're doing X PI interractions
- Explorer : allow to complete when you scan X signatures

All these should also have the "kill one rat" option available (which usually requires less time) but are alternatives which would allow to do the daily without resorting to something they don't usually do


And, it's no grind... In EVE, grind is
- when you grind some repuation for some NPC station (for trading/reprocess and, before, jumpclones)
- when you try to get enough LP or ISK to buy some ship/module/...

These are grinds, doing something again and again, for several hours, day after day... to get your reward after a long process.

Heve, we are speaking about a fast action which will only take several minutes and which bring immediate result (more SP each time you do the daily)


If people unsub because of this, well, that means that they are wrong in their way of thinking about EVE and it's better to have them leave, they are a liability and not an asset... EVE is not a second job, it's a game... if you take it too seriously, you'll only end up bitching, annoying the other players, contributing to create a bad mood in game...
Logix42
Taxation Damnation
#1642 - 2016-04-14 23:04:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Logix42
Do not. Repeat. DO NOT do this.

Find a different way to motivate people to log on.

One of the reasons I chose Eve is that there's no level grind. This is akin to the daily quests of WoW. Disgusting.

Go beyond the edge of space... Explore

Chjna
the Goose Flock
#1643 - 2016-04-14 23:16:07 UTC
Erihn Sabrovich wrote:

...EVE is not a second job, it's a game... if you take it too seriously, you'll only end up bitching, annoying the other players, contributing to create a bad mood in game...


This will no longer be true. Adding chores like dalys to the game will make the game more like a job, resulting in people complaining and annoying the other players, contributing to create a bad mood in the game. And you do not find this wrong?

Remove T2 BPOs

Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#1644 - 2016-04-14 23:16:23 UTC
ITT: Bittervets raging because non-bitter players who still like to actually play EVE regularly, instead of mostly complaining how bad it is, will be rewarded.

.

Erihn Sabrovich
#1645 - 2016-04-14 23:29:20 UTC
Chjna wrote:
Erihn Sabrovich wrote:

...EVE is not a second job, it's a game... if you take it too seriously, you'll only end up bitching, annoying the other players, contributing to create a bad mood in game...


This will no longer be true. Adding chores like dalys to the game will make the game more like a job, resulting in people complaining and annoying the other players, contributing to create a bad mood in the game. And you do not find this wrong?



Dailies will only be felt as an obligation to people who take the game too seriously... Come on, if you don't stress on having these SP so much (normal training is not stopped), you'll do the daily when you've time... and don't care about them if you've something more interresting to do IRL.

So, basically, the people who will be complaining are those who will complain anyway, who would create a bad mood anyway... nothing will change...


Where the dailies will really change something, it's for those who spend some idle time doing whatever comes handy first : posting of Facebook or Google+, looking for random video on youtube, ... For these people, when they have 1/4-1/2h to spend, EVE will come in mind more often... and they'll login, initially to do the daily, but they'll spend their idle time on EVE... chatting with corp mate or doing some other things...

It's about cometing over the idle time, not forcing people to do the dailies... It's not like "if you don't do the daily, you LOSE some SP", it's "if you do it, you're rewarded some SP"... The first is punitive, not the second one... And if you feel that "not being able to do the daily and not getting these SP is a punition", you should really reconsider the place EVE has in your life.
Circumstantial Evidence
#1646 - 2016-04-15 00:19:46 UTC
Recurring Opportunities is the name of a new button now live on the test server, in the upper-left-corner next to System Info and Route. It can be de-selected to hide it from view, if the ONLY opportunity available today, called the "Thrill of the hunt" does not appeal to your character. "Find and destroy any Hostile NPC to trigger a surge of skill points. Hostile NPCs can be found in many locations including asteroid belts, cosmic anomalies and around stargates. Gain: 10,000 skill points"
Lugh Crow-Slave
#1647 - 2016-04-15 00:28:37 UTC
i thought i paid ccp to be able to play this game how i wanted. i didn't know i was supposed to get paid for playing how they wanted isn't that more of a f2p thing?
Sermin Enbur
Doomheim
#1648 - 2016-04-15 00:43:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Sermin Enbur
I dont post on forums, hardly ever. But this.. Are you guys seriously trying to get rid of your players?

To me, EVE has always been how you sort of never had to worry about skillpoints other than choosing implants to train slightly quicker or remapping to suit your long term skill plan. You get the idea, In-game actions and activity do not determine how fast one gets Skillpoints. All you need to worry is having fun and focusing on that while you passively accumulate Skillpoints, like many have already said, this change will change everything about that. It is a stepping stone to more and more actions you can do per day per character to accumulate more SP and before you notice, everyone has a long list of things to do daily so they dont lose out on that free SP to stay ahead. They then feel FORCED to do certain activities they might simply hate doing JUST to get that daily Skillpoint boost. (For example, I do not like ratting all that much. Do you want me to login everyday, grab my stealth bomber, quickly hop out and kill one rat just to get 10k sp while hating every single second of it? Is that your idea of "good and fun gameplay"?)

Some of the people do not seem to understand that while this task does only take a minute to complete it is simply boring and not everyone likes to do it, and what about when one day you log in and realize you have 2-3 hours worth of "daily challenges" to complete from which maybe 1 or 2 are fun things to you?

And you seriously couldn't even come up with anything better than "Kill any NPC for 10k SP" for this? Anyhow, EVE is a great game and I love the depth of it. I have loved it for around 6 years now.. But this change if it is to happen, will force me to unsub my account as I fear for the future of this game if this is the direction you are planning on taking your game.
Princess Adhara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1649 - 2016-04-15 01:06:33 UTC
- "Dessies down roaming fleet leaving in 5, join up!!!"

- "How long will that take? My daily will reset in an hour, I don't wanna miss it... nevermind, I'll try to join you tomorrow, have fun guys!"
Memphis Baas
#1650 - 2016-04-15 01:12:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
If you reward skillpoints for the first NPC kill (and in the future for the first asteroid mined, first production job, first exploration site probed, whatever), people will just feel pressured to log in daily for all of 10 minutes to get their fix. You don't get "activity" with this, they won't stay in space long enough to count as an "activity" or "PVP opportunity" or whatever.

Right now, the most efficient PI interval seems to be approx. 24 hrs, so every day, we log in for about an hour to manage a bunch of planets real quick, then log off. Is that the activity you want?

An even more horrible idea is to put the 10,000 skill points into a mini-injector item, and set it up as loot with a chance to drop from any of the activities you want to include (mining, whatever). If you want to keep it 1 per day, then create a hidden flag and reset it globally at every server reboot.

So this would still give 10,000 points per day, but it could be HOURS before it finally drops, for any given character. Thus, potential HOURS of "activity." Also, reduced benefits for veterans (3,000 points if over 80m SP, the same as the full skill injectors penalties).

We'll hate you forever for implementing it this way, I can pretty much promise that.



Since PVE is an ISK-making activity, and PVP is the meat of the game, why don't you guys revamp the ship insurance system to reward newbies (and to a lesser extent veterans) who lose their ships in PVP?

You could reward a 1-day newbie who loses a frigate (while actually tackling someone) enough skillpoints to let them increase Navigation, CPU Management, or Propulsion Jamming by 1 point and become a more effective newbie. It would be pretty awesome for them, as they can't afford to buy full skill injectors anyway.

You can also reward the veterans who lose their ships, so at least there's some consolation benefit from participating in PVP even if you lose. Call it "learning from your mistakes" bonus or whatever.

Bit of an incentive to undock, even if the odds are unfavorable; they'll probably lose the ship (but that's covered by the alliance SRP anyway, right?), but they gain some skillpoints, however few.

Also, if you revamp the ship insurance to give SP instead of ISK, you're no longer pumping millions of ISK into the game. Insurance is a faucet, right? But make insurance apply only to PVP fights, because that's what you want to encourage.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#1651 - 2016-04-15 01:34:58 UTC
Terrorfrodo wrote:
ITT: Bittervets raging because non-bitter players who still like to actually play EVE regularly, instead of mostly complaining how bad it is, will be rewarded.


Not at all. I play every day that I can, I just don't like to be told HOW to play.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Ms Michigan
Aviation Professionals for EVE
Virtus Crusade Protectorate
#1652 - 2016-04-15 01:44:34 UTC
1) I do not like the 10k SP daily - Instead make it a weekly range and say 70k SP.

Reason:
People with RL obligations miss out. You said you wanted it to accessible to all...this excludes them. Again, give players a week range to complete the "dailys" so that way if RL interferes, this doesn't turn into a punishment like the 24 hour skill queue was. :(

If you liked that one...you may not like the next one. You are warned...

2) Consider only allowing characters with low SP take advantage of this. Anyone with say 100m SP and up does not get the SP boost. This will help newbs catch-up as well as ALTs. I get this isn't fair to all and misses your point about getting people to log in daily, but truth be told, most players at high skill point levels like myself don't need/want that sort of incentive; we are either here or not. Instead MAYBE make the incentive for over 100m SP be rare veteran items that are not seeded, much like the Mystery code. Don't make the items lame, make them cool that we can bank "Veteran Points" for. Rare ship skins, clothes, modules; maybe an LP shop for Vets, much like we were supposed to have our own station for high SP players.
Please consider rewarding veterans of EVE more in a different way with the daily's.

Thanks - flame on.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#1653 - 2016-04-15 01:45:11 UTC
Erihn Sabrovich wrote:
Dailies will only be felt as an obligation to people who take the game too seriously... Come on, if you don't stress on having these SP so much (normal training is not stopped), you'll do the daily when you've time... and don't care about them if you've something more interresting to do IRL...


You do not seem to quite comprehend what is happening. Let me elaborate.

A daily 10000 skillpoints results in 100.000 skillpoints in 10 days and 300.000 in 30 days, just for the kids in middle-school that have time all days, every day.

Noobies complain about "veterans" because we have read a book called Engineering from cover to cover and they didn't. That is like complaining about a teacher that knows all the answers to a surprise math quiz in 7th grade.

All those poor students will "NEVARRhhh" catch up to that teacher, best to make a government issued training program for babies, so they don't have to "endure" that horrible lifetime experience on their own.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Ms Michigan
Aviation Professionals for EVE
Virtus Crusade Protectorate
#1654 - 2016-04-15 01:53:24 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Evander Armistice wrote:
Hi CCP Rise,

I understand that the goal is more log ins and I personally have no issues with giving out small amounts of sp to encourage it. I just wish you would introduce a more elegant way to do it. 10k for the first npc kill seems very clunky and "un-Eve". I wish you would find a better avenue to reward log ins.
Love what you have done in the past, I think you can do better with this.

Thanks for reading


The whole reason why this idea is trash is because rewarding log-ins is stupid. We should log-in because the product is deserving of our time. Not because some specific mechanic is based on logging in. More people log in right now because there is fun to be had in the game with the war. Once that war is over, what will be the reason? It should not be an artificial reason like a daily.



Actually Frostys - once the goons war is over, I think a lot of people will log in more and enjoy null sec not worrying about the Goons kicking their sandcastle over before they even put their first wall up. Maybe it might even be like the old days with small groups of 20-30 people setting out to claim SOV. Just sayin!
Lugh Crow-Slave
#1655 - 2016-04-15 01:57:52 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
Terrorfrodo wrote:
ITT: Bittervets raging because non-bitter players who still like to actually play EVE regularly, instead of mostly complaining how bad it is, will be rewarded.


Not at all. I play every day that I can, I just don't like to be told HOW to play.


why do i feel like the people arguing for this are not arguing the same points we are against it


-SP for new bros is fine

ok i dont care about SP

-you are just lazy

no i just play my own way

-its free SP

congrats then give it to me no matter what i do

- it just gives ppl who play sp whats wrong with that

its only giving ppl who play one way the sp

- its one rat its not the end of the wold
i dont care about this rat i care about the president this sets
Igniskhin
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvatt
#1656 - 2016-04-15 02:27:14 UTC
8 years ago I stopped playing "theme park MMOS" that required daily activity because I no longer had time with 2 jobs and my first child on the way.

So I started this character in Eve. It was great, I would call my wife on break, have her go into my account and update skill training. or having her target and start mining the next roid in the .

A lot of things have changed in eve, but it has always been a SANDBOX, not a theme park. CCP you forced us to create our own content, and now your going to start spoon feeding it to us?

If you are hell bent on giving us daily quests, dailies, or what ever the final name will be, at least force players to do the things that make eve so unique.

instead of having them destroy 1 NPC, have them attack an industrial ship in a .5 system.

reward them for getting into PVP in a .4 system
mine out a roid rock
build a frigate
get on a kill mail with 200 other player
ship spin 400 times
complete a 60 jump trip with 20K m3 cargo
get blown up by NPC sentry turrets (come on, you know you've had it happen to you as well)
kill (or lose) 3 ships in pvp in 24 hours
bump a freighter for 5 minutes
ninja loot something with out getting destroyed
get the pod, get the pod!

just have them play eve

As for t he 10K SP on completion... it just feels very backwards to take a game with over 10 years of no XP grind and throw that out the window.
Shallanna Yassavi
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1657 - 2016-04-15 02:41:13 UTC
If the daily were "go out and get podded", it would be a lot more interesting. That's something you don't want to bring +5s to, and the low-level implant market would go wheeeeee!

A signature :o

Lugh Crow-Slave
#1658 - 2016-04-15 02:42:28 UTC
Shallanna Yassavi wrote:
If the daily were "go out and get podded", it would be a lot more interesting. That's something you don't want to bring +5s to, and the low-level implant market would go wheeeeee!


would it? i would just stay in a dumb clone untill i needed to swap then go to jita in a pod and send a duel request
Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#1659 - 2016-04-15 02:43:21 UTC
Igniskhin wrote:

reward them for getting into PVP in a .4 system
mine out a roid rock
build a frigate
get on a kill mail with 200 other player
ship spin 400 times
complete a 60 jump trip with 20K m3 cargo
get blown up by NPC sentry turrets (come on, you know you've had it happen to you as well)
kill (or lose) 3 ships in pvp in 24 hours
bump a freighter for 5 minutes
ninja loot something with out getting destroyed
get the pod, get the pod!



So out fo your list, I got

Kill your alt in .4
Mine even if you don't want to so it's as stupid as the rat
Build a frigate which is also just as stupid as the rat if you are not an indy guy. Hell even for them it might be a pain if they have no free production slots.
Those killmails rarer than you probably imagine (this character you post on never gopt on one)
AFK play really need to be rewarded?
jumping abck and forth the same gate in a pair of system at the ass-end of the galaxy is really much more interesting than killing a rat.
Let's sacrifice a rookie ship because why not?
Let em kill my alt 2 more time after the first one time for the first point
Can't trigger this as CCP's code does not know who is bumping and who is getting bumped.
Imma ninja loot from my alt
Imma pod my alt.

Holy **** man that was soooooooooo much better than the stupid rat idea. I really think you should post more of those idea.
Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#1660 - 2016-04-15 02:44:29 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Shallanna Yassavi wrote:
If the daily were "go out and get podded", it would be a lot more interesting. That's something you don't want to bring +5s to, and the low-level implant market would go wheeeeee!


would it? i would just stay in a dumb clone untill i needed to swap then go to jita in a pod and send a duel request


It's like some of the poster rightfully against this idea are also so triggered into a fit of hate they forget to use their brain to think for even a second how an EVE player would skirt around their proposed rule...