These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Recurring Opportunities coming soon

First post
Author
Soleil Fournier
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#261 - 2016-04-08 20:50:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Soleil Fournier
Eve is unique. Dailys and weeklys are not. They are cheap gimmicks used by most other games to get people 'content.' If you are relying on weeklies to get people to login and undock, you are doing it wrong. This does not fit eve. Period.

What would fit eve, is giving out SP for completing different 'sets' of opportunities. Or having SP drop as loot 'chips' that people could buy/sell, but having a maximum number per month you could inject. That creates a new market. That is eve. Other people suggested capping at 5 or 10 million SP. And to be clear, I don't like any SP bonuses in game because it devalues SP. I'm just offering suggestions that are less-worse, not good.

Say no to dailys/weeklys guys, it's not eve, and it shouldn't become eve.
Aldent Arkanon
Bad Game Design
#262 - 2016-04-08 20:51:26 UTC
Can we have a raid finder next? Seriously, this is an incredibly dumb idea.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#263 - 2016-04-08 20:51:31 UTC
Monsieur Pognon
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#264 - 2016-04-08 20:51:42 UTC
clearly, i'm against that thing, or at least in the form it is.

if you want to reward player that make content, do it on things that matters, not shooting a NPC, and don't make it a daily thing, as most of players arn't able to log daily.

ideas :
way of rewardining : some kind of +1/all atributes cerebral accelerator for 1 week/month, should be apporx the same ammount of SP/ month but you don't really have to do it EVERY SINGLE DAYS, and as a bonus you can use it and makes market activities

things to do :
link x enthosis nodes this week/month
get x final blows one players ships (rookiesips?) this week/month
mine x m3 of ore/ice this week/month
have x ISK worth of sell/buyorders (cumulate?)
get x ISK in bounties
maybe something for PvP logi pilots
....

maybe do a pregress bar that fill up every times you complete theses activities, once it full you get your reward.
bar empties automatically 7/30 days after beeing filled, same way as jump clones or remaps
HandelsPharmi
Pharmi on CharBazaar
#265 - 2016-04-08 20:52:33 UTC
Snoooow wrote:

1: All players under 5m SP gain SP from these daily tasks, but not afterwards. This means that this change will help new players progress faster, but it solves two issues. Not being able to get SP after 5m SP means that you can't extract SP from this, so Vets won't feel like they have to farm SP on all of their characters every day. Not being able to get SP after 5m SP means that newbros won't feel as bad about missing a day because they're just pushing out reaching 5M sp a little further, not missing out on free SP forever.


I like this idea.

Cap it at approx. 5M SPs and we are fine.

Even if you log in EVERY day, you will get 300k SPs = 60 % of a skill injector or approx. 360M ISK "for free" (opportunity costs etc. ignored).
Savant Alabel
Phoenix Tag.
GF Company
#266 - 2016-04-08 20:52:43 UTC
After thinking - anything, but free sp. isk, AK, any other item,
CCP Rise
C C P
C C P Alliance
#267 - 2016-04-08 20:54:55 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Rise
Thanks for all the feedback.

Just posting to let you guys know we are reading all of it and even if takes a couple days we will definitely follow up with as many answers as possible.

Keep it coming.

@ccp_rise

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#268 - 2016-04-08 20:57:35 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback (except telling me to go to hell, that's rude).

Just posting to let you guys know we are reading all of it and even if takes a couple days we will definitely follow up with as many answers as possible.

Keep it coming.

Have you considered not trying to bribe players just to artificially inflate your key performance metric?
Nyalnara
BamH1
#269 - 2016-04-08 20:58:32 UTC
Altrue wrote:
EDIT: Hey how about you make the actual new player opportunities give unallocated SP instead?
You know, to provide meaningful rewards to a crash-course system that got completely stripped of them.


That. Please do that instead.

French half-noob.

Non, je ne suis pas gentil.

Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#270 - 2016-04-08 20:58:36 UTC
Luthien Lituviel wrote:
Remember that game called EVE online, the MMO like no other MMO?

Well not any longer in the patch after this were gonna be running around systems doing quests.

this is one of multipel ways you're breaking some of the specific qualities only eve had/used to have compared to other games


It'll be good experience to add to his CV when he's applying to another games developer though.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#271 - 2016-04-08 20:59:22 UTC
Maybe not daily system but rather activity count meter that will give you dank concord items and ammo and stuff and even more, but not SP.
Maruku Asanari
Deep Space Sanitation Engineers
#272 - 2016-04-08 21:03:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Maruku Asanari
Dror wrote:
The spirit of that original post is that being at a disadvantage hampers subscription interest in the game. Skill points come with those subscriptions, and they're required to do everything. It would be true that player interest in a sandbox game comes from the ability to efficiently play the sandbox to its potential.


I agree with both of these points.

"The spirit of that original post is that being at a disadvantage hampers subscription interest in the game. Skill points come with those subscriptions, and they're required to do everything"
- However part of EVE is accepting that you have less SP than somebody who has played far longer than you. As a 6 month old player I'm fully aware of that. But another main aspect of EVE is that teamwork most often overcomes this advantage older players have, i.e. 5 new players in a fleet can beat a lone 5 year old player. CCP has been trying to make low SP roles interesting with the new frigate and destroyer ships, and I think they've done a pretty good job at that.

"player interest in a sandbox game comes from the ability to efficiently play the sandbox to it's potential"
- By giving more SP away it may increase the diversity of ships and roles a player can use faster increasing potential in that regard, it decreases the potential to play the sandbox in the way in which you want to at all times and feeling the freedom accompanying that by making you spend some of that time doing a specified thing to gain that SP.
Dror
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#273 - 2016-04-08 21:05:00 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback (except telling me to go to hell, that's rude).

Just posting to let you guys know we are reading all of it and even if takes a couple days we will definitely follow up with as many answers as possible.

Keep it coming.

As always, the team's ideas for improving SP and the NPE are super creative, and it's obvious that this has potential. The perma-loss character idea is still interesting, btw.

It's on CCP to fully employ what they understand about motivation. If there are barriers to a perfect game, it is their prerogative and best interest to fix them.

Not people. Not beings.
Enjoy.

"SP is helpful for the game?" Here's all of the research on motivation -- it says the opposite! What purpose does it serve, then? Starter corps are non-competitive. Sov is unchallenged. "Fix sov!" you say? Remove SP.

captain foivos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#274 - 2016-04-08 21:11:59 UTC
Tippia wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback (except telling me to go to hell, that's rude).

Just posting to let you guys know we are reading all of it and even if takes a couple days we will definitely follow up with as many answers as possible.

Keep it coming.

Have you considered not trying to bribe players just to artificially inflate your key performance metric?


this is for you
biz Antollare
The Dark Space Initiative
The Initiative.
#275 - 2016-04-08 21:14:50 UTC
Approximately how many dailys will it take for me to get my exalted CCP mount?
Kashell Makanen
Errant Endeavours
#276 - 2016-04-08 21:15:33 UTC
Please, do not add Dailies to EvE. It is the cheapest, grindiest way of pissing off and burning out your players to get artificial, meaningless player activity. Take this idea, apply it directly to the Career agents, or as rewards for new characters completing steps on the Opportunities grid. It bridges the gap for new players but has diminishing returns for veteran characters.

Reward the newbies for taking the chance to explore the game, while letting them put their unallocated SP into skills and professions they find they like.
Doctor EjaBig
Outfit 418
Blue Loot Not Included
#277 - 2016-04-08 21:17:34 UTC
is April 1st different in Iceland than the rest of the world,
Doctor EjaBig
Outfit 418
Blue Loot Not Included
#278 - 2016-04-08 21:19:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Doctor EjaBig
no Aur over skill
Sal Askiras
Pie Family Rock Farming INC
#279 - 2016-04-08 21:20:39 UTC
Dailies? Fine. LP reward? No.
ISK reward for something like this seems much less exploitable, and more in line with other PVE activities.

I do agree that the rather useless Opportunities system needs SOME kind of reward, rather than just "Bing! You're done!" A small LP reward would be great for this.
Nistromos
Reborn Soul's Inc
#280 - 2016-04-08 21:22:34 UTC
Turelus wrote:
Not a fan of SP rewards by completion of tasks.

One of the things I enjoyed about EVE Online was it wasn't a game about grinding to get ahead of others (like every other MMO I played) players who didn't have the time to log in every single day were always on the same footing (in SP terms) as everyone else.
I know there were/are already ways around this with buying characters and now skill injectors.

If people want to have more SP then have them grind ISK and buy injectors, not by making this into a "power up by logging in every day" game.

As someone who has played many other MMO games I can also tell you that daily tasks is the most soul crushing and boring addition to any MMO. Yet we do them because they're needed for some reason, no one ever enjoys dalies.

Edit to add some more to this.

Right now this is a very simple task, log in kill one NPC and get reward. However this is how the slope starts, as more dailies are added and with rewards not obtainable anywhere else and much in desire (like SP) you "have" to do them, it's part of our mentality to do them.

So you have your five minuet kill a rat daily, then comes the 5min mine some ore daily, then the 5-20min get a PvP kill daily... Eventually you end up with the same system every MMO has. Players are logging in and spending their first hour or two of game play doing dailies. Not because they enjoy the content, but because they "have to" if they want the best rewards.

EVE Online is meant to be a sandbox game, you're meant to log in and do something you want, to make your own content and rewards. Adding daily quests alone would be fine, however making it the only way to earn extra SP each day is forcing players to do them. That's where this breaks EVE for me.

Honestly this whole idea is something I literally (and I mean the real use of the word) thought I see CCP come up with. It's not anything at all of what EVE is about.

I guess EVE is evolving with the times, however I'm not sure I like what it's becoming.



Spot on cant put it any better way than that.