These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The new launcher and the web server issues on the 21st of May: FAQ and update thread

First post First post
Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#541 - 2013-05-27 03:07:36 UTC
Another issue I noticed with the launcher:
If a login attempt fails due to an incorrect password, the username resets to the first one on the list, forcing me to go back and reselect the username I want to log into and then retry my password.

Let's say my usernames are x1 and x2. If I'm trying to log into x2 and mistype my password, the username field defaults to x1 (not sure if this is because x1 is the first username that was entered or the first in alphanumeric order) and I have to reselect x2 in order to log into x2.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Par'Gellen
#542 - 2013-05-27 05:48:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Another issue I noticed with the launcher:
If a login attempt fails due to an incorrect password, the username resets to the first one on the list, forcing me to go back and reselect the username I want to log into and then retry my password.

Let's say my usernames are x1 and x2. If I'm trying to log into x2 and mistype my password, the username field defaults to x1 (not sure if this is because x1 is the first username that was entered or the first in alphanumeric order) and I have to reselect x2 in order to log into x2.
This is a good point and very annoying. Also the account names in the dropdown list seem to rearrange themselves seemingly randomly making us hunt for the one we want. Why can't they just stay in the same order all the time?

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Joelleaveek
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#543 - 2013-05-27 07:35:01 UTC
I think it would be better if i didn't have to click play after entering my password. Just enter password, hit return, game launchers.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#544 - 2013-05-27 08:26:14 UTC
Joelleaveek wrote:
I think it would be better if i didn't have to click play after entering my password. Just enter password, hit return, game launchers.
They have now included a tickbox option to bypass that, but it's not released yet.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

CCP TheRambler
C C P
C C P Alliance
#545 - 2013-05-27 09:17:58 UTC
Hi, the autoplay feature has been released this Friday actually. If you don't see the checkbox in the right bottom corner or if it doesn't seem to work, please clear the cache and try again :)
Kblackjack54
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#546 - 2013-05-27 09:58:23 UTC
CCP TheRambler wrote:
Hi, the autoplay feature has been released this Friday actually. If you don't see the checkbox in the right bottom corner or if it doesn't seem to work, please clear the cache and try again :)



Works too, Oh wait a minute that was yesterday, today, clear cache and try again, works.


Swat Dem Bugs Boyz.


I think I will stick with the Eve.exe method, simpler, linear, no messing about. Twisted
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#547 - 2013-05-27 10:39:51 UTC
CCP TheRambler wrote:
Hi, the autoplay feature has been released this Friday actually. If you don't see the checkbox in the right bottom corner or if it doesn't seem to work, please clear the cache and try again :)


I'd love to read a cogent reasonment about why an updater should embed a whole web browser and of course bring in its slow startup and problems (like clearing cache).
Linna Baresi
#548 - 2013-05-27 11:12:15 UTC
It's rather depressing, really, this whole launcher thing. When I started my trial 10 days ago, everything worked fine. After the update, not so much.

I've not seen what happens on my computer exactly repeated in these forums (which may be because I don't read ALL the posts about what is going wrong), but I thought I might add it here, see if anyone else recognises this.

When I start the launcher, I find two launcher processes in my Task Manager. One uses more capacity than the other. It would seem these processes are not always correctly removed, I've had the repair function in the launcher, which supposedly closes down the launcher before it activates, complain to me that the launcher was still active. I had to remove the process manually.

When I try to use the launcher to start the game, the PLAY button will change to LAUNCHING.... It will display this for roughly 20 seconds, then it will go back to PLAY. The game, however, does not launch. No sign of it in the task manager anywhere.

To get the launcher to work, I need to use the repair tool. It will repair a bunch of items that are apparently missing. After this, the launcher will verify the files, and then it will work ONCE. As soon as I log out of the game, it will stop working and I have to do the whole repair thing again.

- I ran the manual launcher update
- I tried clearing the cached date, but this doesn't seem to do anything beneficial.
- I can't have any legacy stuff older than 10 days or so, I'm working from a very recent install, since I'm a truly new player.
- I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64x
- I have bugticketed the above

This mess has never stopped me from playing, incidentally, I'm just using the .exe file in /bin half the time. But it does have me wondering what is going on with this launcher.

Member of since 2003 fated.europefreeforum.com

Zifrian
FAYN Industries
Dark Side of the Eclipse
#549 - 2013-05-27 11:23:43 UTC
CCP TheRambler wrote:
Hi, the autoplay feature has been released this Friday actually. If you don't see the checkbox in the right bottom corner or if it doesn't seem to work, please clear the cache and try again :)

This completely misses the point imo. Why do we even need to click play to login? Is there a reason for this "feature"?

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Alphea Abbra
Project Promethion
#550 - 2013-05-27 11:33:01 UTC
CCP TheRambler wrote:
Hi, the autoplay feature has been released this Friday actually. If you don't see the checkbox in the right bottom corner or if it doesn't seem to work, please clear the cache and try again :)
Hi, I didn't notice since I was too busy using the bugfix that removes the need for the installer.
Have you begun looking at the design flaws in the "new" "launcher"?
Sky Marshal
Core Industry.
Fraternity.
#551 - 2013-05-27 11:53:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Sky Marshal
As this topic is the new place to give feedbacks, I got new ones but there are not really important nor critical.

I manage to make the launcher remember my login, after few tries. But I am annoyed by the fact that there is not right-click feature in this launcher. Indeed, I expected to see at least a paste option in a right-click menu on the password input field (I use way too much complicated passwords to type them manually) and I am accustomed to use the mouse to copy/paste my passwords from a text file to the old launcher. There is still the ctrl+v way but it requires a change of habits. As I said, it is not really important.

The second thing is the memory consumption. I just realize that the launcher use ± 100 Mb for his personal needs (according to Process Explorer), and I think it is too much as he don't add new features (for the moment I guess). It is not really a problem as he can be closed at any time, but if you have time to waste, don't hesitate to reduce it =)
Zilero
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#552 - 2013-05-27 12:28:35 UTC
My feedback is still the same:

The launcher is making it more problematic and slower to login more than one character fast.

Before I could:

1. Open 3-4 instances of Eve.
2. Immediately login to each one once they were loaded.

Now I have to wait for the launcher and login each account and click launch.

I estimate its taking me 3-4 times as long to login as it did previously.

Furthermore, it seems like using the launcher to login to the game actually takes LONGER than just logging in with the exefile... what gives?


Sorry CCP, but this is a major dealbreaker - I do NOT feel like wasting my time trying to login to play a game I'm paying for.

Make the launcher GO AWAY or I will have to reconsider paying for more than one account (or playing the game at all). You say you listen to your users - THE PEOPLE WHO PAY YOUR SALARY - now prove this!
thowlimer
Roprocor Ltd
#553 - 2013-05-27 13:56:28 UTC
So far no problems updating launcher etc bit slower than the old one still but nothing annoying with no more than 2-3
accounts to log on.
Main annoyance so far(other than bling, i prefer as little graphic bling as possible but thats just a matter of taste, and
goes for pretty much any game produced after programmers stopped worrying about memory consumption) is how the
focus sticks on the character name window after you select a new alt from the drop down menu, if i choose a previously
entered full name from that list i do _not_ wish to type any more in that window, so if possible could you have it switch
to the password window once a character is selected ?
Also adding my voice to the people who feel that SSO would be nice _if_ it allowed us access to things like forums/account management even if that involves opening another browser.
Thowlimer
Jake ClouD
The Secret Club
#554 - 2013-05-27 14:02:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake ClouD
Thank you for the skill points. More than makes up for the login complications. :)

The posting and tone in this thread by some players...seems wrongly self-entitled. I understand the frustration when things aren't perfect or go wrong, but it doesn't warrant rudeness towards [real] people doing their jobs with the best intentions. Instead of cynicism and aggression, a little bit of appreciation and optimism helps to cultivate a better community and better experiences for everyone who has to work on and play the game.

There's no us and them, everyone contributes to the development of the game and it's why EVE is so good, because CCP value and act upon feedback and suggestions wherever they can feasibly. You pay for a game which you enjoy playing and much of that money goes towards improving the experience. Yes, there's still going to be things that you don't like, but constructive criticism and feedback is better than grumpy whinging and demands.

TL;DR,
Don't be grumpy neck-beards. Pirate
Hagbard Solaris
Omega Eternal
#555 - 2013-05-27 14:07:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Hagbard Solaris
I too just noticed a couple of other issues with the launcher. I have miltiple accounts, and some are in the form of MyAccount1 , MyAccount2, etc. This allows me to group my accounts by purpose. It also allows me to log in multiple accounts by simply clicking on the username field and hitting backspace to remove the number, and then entering a single digit. When I hit the backspace, I get a drop down box containing all of the numbered accounts. Then, when I enter the new digit, the dropdown box stays on the field, but with only 1 account listed. It would make more sense if, when there is only 1 matching account to the entry currently in the field, the drop box were to close. Forcing me to select an account from a list of one account merely slows down the process.

Second, when you select an account from the dropdown box, the cursor stays in the account name entry field. Several times I have entered my password immediately after selecting an account and it appended to the end of the account name. In order to enter the password I have to manually click on the password entry box or hit the tab key to forward the cursor. This is not good for security.

The Login screen does not behave this way. When I selected an account from the drop down box, the cursor automatically forwarded to the password entry box. When I backspaced to change the number on one of my accounts, the drop down box did not open. I still had to tab to the password entry field, but I did not have to close the drop down box first.

I would like to see the account name with drop down box and password entry changed in the launcher to match the behavior of the login scren.

What if New Eden was a virtual prison and we're convicts in a prison pod somehwere?

Par'Gellen
#556 - 2013-05-27 14:19:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
Jake ClouD wrote:
Thank you for the skill points. More than makes up for the login complications. :)

The posting and tone in this thread by some players...seems wrongly self-entitled. I understand the frustration when things aren't perfect or go wrong, but it doesn't warrant rudeness towards [real] people doing their jobs with the best intentions. Instead of cynicism and aggression, a little bit of appreciation and optimism helps to cultivate a better community and better experiences for everyone who has to work on and play the game.

There's no us and them, everyone contributes to the development of the game and it's why EVE is so good, because CCP value and act upon feedback and suggestions wherever they can feasibly. You pay for a game which you enjoy playing and much of that money goes towards improving the experience. Yes, there's still going to be things that you don't like, but constructive criticism and feedback is better than grumpy whinging and demands.

TL;DR,
Don't be grumpy neck-beards. Pirate

You are right and as I read past some of my earlier posts in this thread and the other one I admit my tone was a bit harsher than it probably should have been. I'm not like that in real life and usually give people the benefit of the doubt as a matter of course. Nobody is perfect and I apologize for my rude remarks.

However, on the other side of the coin, I've dealt with CCP's dev antics since 2003 and after a while people reach a point where they realize nothing they are saying is even being heard. When that happens they begin to shout. When shouting fails they start throwing things. And I can tell you from years of reading these forums that nothing CCP can do will **** off the playerbase faster than ignoring feedback and then implementing something that looks like it was coded by someone that has never even played the game. (Uniborked Inventory stands out like a flaming beacon as a prime example) That is disrespectful to their paying customers, plain and simple, and in my opinion is like asking to be yelled at.

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Hagbard Solaris
Omega Eternal
#557 - 2013-05-27 14:33:46 UTC
Jake ClouD wrote:
Thank you for the skill points. More than makes up for the login complications. :)

The posting and tone in this thread by some players...seems wrongly self-entitled. I understand the frustration when things aren't perfect or go wrong, but it doesn't warrant rudeness towards [real] people doing their jobs with the best intentions. Instead of cynicism and aggression, a little bit of appreciation and optimism helps to cultivate a better community and better experiences for everyone who has to work on and play the game.

There's no us and them, everyone contributes to the development of the game and it's why EVE is so good, because CCP value and act upon feedback and suggestions wherever they can feasibly. You pay for a game which you enjoy playing and much of that money goes towards improving the experience. Yes, there's still going to be things that you don't like, but constructive criticism and feedback is better than grumpy whinging and demands.

TL;DR,
Don't be grumpy neck-beards. Pirate


CCP had product feedback on the new launcher from the tets on Singularity. They ignored this feedback and released the launcher with bugs already pointed out to them anyway.

Improving the experiance is good, but the new launcher has not improved anything. One of the hallmarks of a good product update is to add improvements seamlessly for the user. Software trains the user to use it a certain way, and an update should preserve this while adding new features for users to learn to use.
CCP added no user-end features with the new launcher other than a link to their TV channel. They changed the method of account name/password entry. They changed the location where the launcher stores it's data against Microsoft development guidelines, causing problems for some users They have a launcher that leaves running processes active upon closing which prevent the launcher from being reactivated unless these processes are closed manually by the user. These flaws could have easily been detected prior to release if the launcher had been tested properly.

TL;DR,
CCP didn't do their job well. In the real world, if you don't do your job well, your customers are going to get angry.

What if New Eden was a virtual prison and we're convicts in a prison pod somehwere?

Oraac Ensor
#558 - 2013-05-27 14:45:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Oraac Ensor
Jake ClouD wrote:
Thank you for the skill points. More than makes up for the login complications. :)

The posting and tone in this thread by some players...seems wrongly self-entitled. I understand the frustration when things aren't perfect or go wrong, but it doesn't warrant rudeness towards [real] people doing their jobs with the best intentions. Instead of cynicism and aggression, a little bit of appreciation and optimism helps to cultivate a better community and better experiences for everyone who has to work on and play the game.

There's no us and them, everyone contributes to the development of the game and it's why EVE is so good, because CCP value and act upon feedback and suggestions wherever they can feasibly. You pay for a game which you enjoy playing and much of that money goes towards improving the experience. Yes, there's still going to be things that you don't like, but constructive criticism and feedback is better than grumpy whinging and demands.

TL;DR,
Don't be grumpy neck-beards. Pirate

When I PAY for something I expect it to work and I don't expect the people that I'm paying to foul it up in a display of total incompetence pissing about with something that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing in any way and replacing it with a load of crap which is apparently nothing like the "better community and better experiences" that you describe.

I say "apparently" because I am unable to comment on something I haven't experienced. Some of us now have no launcher at all, no information that anything is being done about it, and a threat to remove the only way we have to access the game. Note that this threat will be carried out when CCP, not the affected players, consider that it is no longer needed. Quite honestly, after this fiasco I can't foresee any time that we will no longer need a fall back position to cope with future CCP foul-ups.

As for "appreciation and optimism", I see no reason for either in view of, just for example, this:
CCP Aporia wrote:
Since there were no technical concerns left with the Windows version of the new launcher, then yes, we did roll it out.
Followed two days later by this:
CCP Atropos wrote:
Current known issues:
- Updated 2100 GMT 23 May -

  • The EVE Launcher doesn't terminate correctly on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
  • Hazan Lightbringer
    LightWorker Inc
    #559 - 2013-05-27 14:46:51 UTC
    Obunagawe wrote:
    CCP: When do you intend to remove the ability to use the Exefile.exe workaround method entirely?



    I would also like to know since that will be the day I quit eve after 8 years of easy multiboxing, unless they fix the launcher so I can launch multiple login(to the game)-screens at once.



    Par'Gellen wrote:

    However, on the other side of the coin, I've dealt with CCP's dev antics since 2003 and after a while people reach a point where they realize nothing they are saying is even being heard. When that happens they begin to shout. When shouting fails they start throwing things. And I can tell you from years of reading these forums that nothing CCP can do will **** off the playerbase faster than ignoring feedback and then implementing something that looks like it was coded by someone that has never even played the game. (Uniborked Inventory stands out like a flaming beacon as a prime example) That is disrespectful to their paying customers, plain and simple, and in my opinion is like asking to be yelled at.




    Well said.
    I for one will no longer shout tho.
    Boycott is the only weapon we have left that actually WORKS, and I believe that 50% of the userbase will use that weapon if the "quick login with multiple accounts"-option via the exe-file gets removed.

    Hagbard Solaris
    Omega Eternal
    #560 - 2013-05-27 14:50:46 UTC
    Par'Gellen wrote:
    Jake ClouD wrote:
    ...
    TL;DR,
    Don't be grumpy neck-beards. Pirate

    You are right and as I read past some of my earlier posts in this thread and the other one I admit my tone was a bit harsher than it probably should have been. I'm not like that in real life and usually give people the benefit of the doubt as a matter of course. Nobody is perfect and I apologize for my rude remarks.

    However, on the other side of the coin, I've dealt with CCP's dev antics since 2003 and after a while people reach a point where they realize nothing they are saying is even being heard. When that happens they begin to shout. When shouting fails they start throwing things. And I can tell you from years of reading these forums that nothing CCP can do will **** off the playerbase faster than ignoring feedback and then implementing something that looks like it was coded by someone that has never even played the game. (Uniborked Inventory stands out like a flaming beacon as a prime example) That is disrespectful to their paying customers, plain and simple, and in my opinion is like asking to be yelled at.


    Well said. When I first started playing Eve I rolled with the punches when CCP messed things up with new updates. After years of this, however, I have had enough. There is a difference between a single flawed update and a pattern of borked releases and disregarded customer feedback. A single flaw is easy to overlook, but years of of breaking things and ignoring customer feedback are not. There are restaurants I no longer patronize because they repeatedly served me poor quality food and got my order wrong. Eve, however, is unique in the MMO world. I can't just go to another Internet Spaceship game because there isn't one like Eve available. So, I am reduced to shouting and throwing things to get the devs to realise that I am genuinely upset with their poor performance. If I don't, they will assume that breaking things is OK.

    What if New Eden was a virtual prison and we're convicts in a prison pod somehwere?