These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The new launcher and the web server issues on the 21st of May: FAQ and update thread

First post First post
Author
Linuz Vip
M4gnum P.I.
#401 - 2013-05-25 14:29:07 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
...add 50.000 skillpoints (representing roughly a day’s worth of intense skill training)...


Thank you !
:)
Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#402 - 2013-05-25 14:51:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Smoking Blunts
CCP Atropos wrote:


I'm addressing people's concerns as they come up, and since everyone is asking different things, it simply takes time. I've been reaching out via EVEMail, forum posts and bug reports to those suffering from fundamental bugs. I've also engaged with several people on the design of the Launcher, and I've been updating the second post in this very thread with changes and fixes as we roll them out (you should already have the latest changes now), and will continue to do so.


I shared my concerns in the sisi topic and there the same now

you have removed all the functionality that the old lancher/patcher had built in for multiboxers and replaced it with a longer process and a addition program that has to be left running just to get to eve in the name of single sign on.

why do you think this is a good thing for your customers that can not possibly use single sign on to access all of there accounts?

OMG when can i get a pic here

Ganric Nelkin
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#403 - 2013-05-25 14:56:14 UTC
After all this time I still can't enter the game...
It was all working just fine until Tuesdays 'update'.

I've tried every fix and workaround mentioned so far and more.
I have two PC's and both have exactly the same issues!


If I run from exefile.exe my chars load, but I can't enter the game. If I run from the launcher my chars won't even load.

I sent log files with my petitions, but I can't actually see any of my petitions!


I'm starting to get the impression that those of us who are still having issuses have been abandoned by CCP, unless someone can convince me otherwise.


Are we going to get a refund of the game time we have lost?




Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#404 - 2013-05-25 14:57:08 UTC
Ganric Nelkin wrote:
After all this time I still can't enter the game...
It was all working just fine until Tuesdays 'update'.

I've tried every fix and workaround mentioned so far and more.
I have two PC's and both have exactly the same issues!


If I run from exefile.exe my chars load, but I can't enter the game. If I run from the launcher my chars won't even load.

I sent log files with my petitions, but I can't actually see any of my petitions!


I'm starting to get the impression that those of us who are still having issuses have been abandoned by CCP, unless someone can convince me otherwise.


Are we going to get a refund of the game time we have lost?






are you using the eve.exe in the bin folder located in the eve folder?

OMG when can i get a pic here

Par'Gellen
#405 - 2013-05-25 15:00:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
Mr Floydy wrote:
Not read through the thread - but what does this launcher even offer over the old one? It takes twice as long to log in 2 accounts now, the character name dropdown list doesn't even remember any characters (derp?) and I'm yet to find anything it does that the old one didn't do?

Steps for logging in multiple accounts quickly with the new launcher:

1. Make sure the Autoplay checkbox in the lower right is checked and your Launcher is not set to close itself after starting the client (THIS IS CRUCIAL!).

2. Log in whatever account you like.

3. Click Switch User Account as soon as it's available to click on (virtually instant on my machine).

4. Repeat from step 2 until all your accounts are in.

5. Close the Launcher (or leave it open if you will need to do a lot of account hopping).

6. Done.

I've gotten pretty good at this since it was updated and now I can get into the game and bounce between accounts as fast (if not faster) than I could before using the old method. The only thing I miss now is the Log Off button that made switching characters on the same account faster.

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Dzen Avi
Spase Boost
#406 - 2013-05-25 15:01:22 UTC
Finally!!! Found the way to skip the launcher!
In the "bin" folder of EVE there is a file ExeFile.exe - it throws you directly to the old window when you choose your account and click play.
Enjoy!
Par'Gellen
#407 - 2013-05-25 15:02:47 UTC
Dzen Avi wrote:
Finally!!! Found the way to skip the launcher!
In the "bin" folder of EVE there is a file ExeFile.exe - it throws you directly to the old window when you choose your account and click play.
Enjoy!
Only for a few more days. CCP has already confirmed that the ability to do this will be removed.

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Ganric Nelkin
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#408 - 2013-05-25 15:03:04 UTC
Smoking Blunts wrote:
Ganric Nelkin wrote:
After all this time I still can't enter the game...
It was all working just fine until Tuesdays 'update'.

I've tried every fix and workaround mentioned so far and more.
I have two PC's and both have exactly the same issues!


If I run from exefile.exe my chars load, but I can't enter the game. If I run from the launcher my chars won't even load.

I sent log files with my petitions, but I can't actually see any of my petitions!


I'm starting to get the impression that those of us who are still having issuses have been abandoned by CCP, unless someone can convince me otherwise.


Are we going to get a refund of the game time we have lost?






are you using the eve.exe in the bin folder located in the eve folder?


To quote me "I've tried every fix and workaround mentioned so far and more."
Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#409 - 2013-05-25 15:04:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Smoking Blunts
Par'Gellen wrote:
Mr Floydy wrote:
Not read through the thread - but what does this launcher even offer over the old one? It takes twice as long to log in 2 accounts now, the character name dropdown list doesn't even remember any characters (derp?) and I'm yet to find anything it does that the old one didn't do?

Steps for logging in multiple accounts quickly with the new launcher:

1. Make sure the Autoplay checkbox in the lower right is checked and your Launcher is not set to close itself after starting the client (THIS IS CRUCIAL!).

2. Log in whatever account you like.

3. Click Switch User Account as soon as it's available to click on (virtually instant on my machine).

4. Repeat from step 2 until all your accounts are in.

5. Close the Launcher (or leave it open if you will need to do a lot of account hopping).

6. Done.


no it is not.

I have 8 eve exe's on my start menu and all passwords in hot keys.

so I can access all my accounts and alts with 3 clicks or button presses. you cant do that with the launcher

OMG when can i get a pic here

Kira Benzoid
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#410 - 2013-05-25 15:07:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Kira Benzoid
Avira Antivirus prevents launcher autoupdate.

Disabling realtime scanning and / or internet (browser) security feature solved updating issue.

you might want to exclude launcher folder and website permanetly.

Software can be re-enabled after patch.
Par'Gellen
#411 - 2013-05-25 15:07:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
Smoking Blunts wrote:
Par'Gellen wrote:
Mr Floydy wrote:
Not read through the thread - but what does this launcher even offer over the old one? It takes twice as long to log in 2 accounts now, the character name dropdown list doesn't even remember any characters (derp?) and I'm yet to find anything it does that the old one didn't do?

Steps for logging in multiple accounts quickly with the new launcher:

1. Make sure the Autoplay checkbox in the lower right is checked and your Launcher is not set to close itself after starting the client (THIS IS CRUCIAL!).

2. Log in whatever account you like.

3. Click Switch User Account as soon as it's available to click on (virtually instant on my machine).

4. Repeat from step 2 until all your accounts are in.

5. Close the Launcher (or leave it open if you will need to do a lot of account hopping).

6. Done.


no it is not.

I have 8 eve exe's on my start menu and all passwords in hot kets.

so I can access all my accounts and alts with 3 clicks or button presses. you cant do that with the launcher
Try it. It works for me every time. No need to have multiple folders for clients as all settings for each account are already stored in the settings folder (you can even copy them around and rename them if need be for syncing settings between accounts). I can detail my exact setup if you'd like. Let me know. It's extremely simple.

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#412 - 2013-05-25 15:15:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Smoking Blunts
Par'Gellen wrote:
Try it. It works for me every time. No need to have multiple folders for clients as all settings for each account are already stored in the settings folder (you can eve copy them around if need be). I can detail my exact setup if you'd like. Let me know. It's extremely simple.


dude. it is not as fast dosnt matter how many times I try it.
currently I do this
1. click exe. ( for alts hit log off)
2. hit password button
3. hit enter
now logged in

with launcher its
1. click exe
2. focus on password
3. hit password button
4. click enter
5. either close launcher or leave open to swap alts. if I leave it open I now have 16 programs running for 8 clients(8 totally pointless ones), if I close it I add more steps for swapping alts. even though the open launcher gives me no clue as to what set of alts are running from it.

have no idea how you think that makes my life easier

OMG when can i get a pic here

Oraac Ensor
#413 - 2013-05-25 15:17:29 UTC
Dzen Avi wrote:
Finally!!! Found the way to skip the launcher!
In the "bin" folder of EVE there is a file ExeFile.exe - it throws you directly to the old window when you choose your account and click play.
Enjoy!

Hmmm . . .
Alphea Abbra
Project Promethion
#414 - 2013-05-25 15:20:26 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Alphea Abbra wrote:
Will CCP repair the launcher (at least to former usability) before or after you remove the ability to start the game (bin/ExeFile)?

You should note that we didn't remove the ability to logon through ExeFile.exe at the same time that we deployed the new EVE Launcher. It was always a risk that something could go wrong, and we didn't want to remove the only alternative. Whilst I can't give you an estimated time of arrival on when we will remove the old login screen, it will be at a point in time after people are comfortable with our new login paradigm and feel that the Launcher is offering them comparable functionality.
Can I interpret this as your acceptance that the bugfix to the "new" "launcher" won't be removed?

Quote:
The Singularity testing thread was run for almost four weeks, and to begin with was a goodwill opt in test. The logs we were seeing and the feedback we were getting, we felt that we were in a good position to release. One thing I have learnt is that goodwill testing isn't enough; for a change to the Launcher we should have made it a mandatory switch from the very beginning.
It seems that you mistake my criticism as one based on lack of QA - that would be a mistake. I have no doubt that the majority of issues (settings and webservers in this case) were honest mistakes, and it is very clear from this and other threads that you have worked to solve those. That is why I, in the post you quoted here, prefaced it with asking you to not just consider the obvious flaws in the execution of the design, but the obvious flaws in the design itself.
These problems are the ones I haven't seen you address at all, and it strikes me as symptomatic that in your direct responses to my post, you took my criticism as something else, or didn't respond, responded to something other than my question, or as below, didn't acknowledge it.

Quote:
Alphea Abbra wrote:
Given the almost 3k angry posts over 2 official threads (+ all the unofficial), do you recognise problems with the design itself of the launcher?

The threads contain a real mix of responses: people initially unable to connect due to the webserver outage, people who dislike the design and paradigm change, people who have other computer issues and can't install the update at all, and more. I can't provide one answer that would speak to and answer all of them, doubly so given the rate at which the thread was growing; any response rapidly got lost in the other posts.
Skex Relbore
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#415 - 2013-05-25 15:22:01 UTC
Par'Gellen wrote:
Try it. It works for me every time. No need to have multiple folders for clients as all settings for each account are already stored in the settings folder (you can even copy them around and rename them if need be for syncing settings between accounts). I can detail my exact setup if you'd like. Let me know. It's extremely simple.


I right click the ISboxer systray icon chose the character set I want and it launches all my clients for me with no further interaction, then I tab through enter passwords and I'm done each with their own environment variables and settings from a single install.

No way you are beating that functionality with this POS launcher,

Honestly I could give a damn about the launcher if they'd just leave the Exefile.exe functionality in place but apparently they don't believe in listening to their users.
Par'Gellen
#416 - 2013-05-25 15:26:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
Just to be clear. If you have some bizarre scripted byzantine method for logging in your accounts faster that you could using the tools provided by CCP (now that they have fixed the "Launching..." delay) then I can fully understand how you'd be having trouble.

Keep in mind, no dev can anticipate every weird thing a user might do. Trust me I've been there. I've seen users break a steel ball with a rubber hammer. All a good dev can do is work within the scope of their own environment.

Anything else beyond that is coming from the goodness of their own heart and should not be demanded in raging posts about how some virtually incomprehensible tap dance no longer makes it rain.

I'm not saying there aren't issues that still need addressing. There are. However, with the steps I posted previously I'm just offering help to multiboxers for getting in quickly with the new launcher. If you refuse to do it this way then that is your call and bitching about it serves no purpose.

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#417 - 2013-05-25 15:35:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Smoking Blunts
Par'Gellen wrote:


Keep in mind, no dev can anticipate every weird thing a user might do. Trust me I've been there. I've seen users break a steel ball with a rubber hammer. All a good dev can do is work within the scope of their own environment.



the tool I was using are the ones I was provided by the eve client and the multibox support added to the old launcher/patcher after CCP took the time to hear peoples concerns and took the action any company should do when hearing of customer issues.

the tools are in fact still there, just have to by pass the extra program of annoyance that has been pushed onto us

OMG when can i get a pic here

CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#418 - 2013-05-25 16:00:35 UTC
Par'Gellen wrote:
Dzen Avi wrote:
Finally!!! Found the way to skip the launcher!
In the "bin" folder of EVE there is a file ExeFile.exe - it throws you directly to the old window when you choose your account and click play.
Enjoy!
Only for a few more days. CCP has already confirmed that the ability to do this will be removed.

We've never given a date, so I don't know where you've come across the idea that it will be in a few days. In many threads so far I've stated that it won't be before Odyssey, and I even stated only a few posts previously in this very thread "Whilst I can't give you an estimated time of arrival on when we will remove the old login screen, it will be at a point in time after people are comfortable with our new login paradigm and feel that the Launcher is offering them comparable functionality."

That won't be in a "few days" Smile
Kyjen Geashi
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#419 - 2013-05-25 16:12:36 UTC
I need help with reinstalling EVE the message i get is Archive extraction failed: 3.
Par'Gellen
#420 - 2013-05-25 16:13:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
CCP Atropos wrote:
Par'Gellen wrote:
Dzen Avi wrote:
Finally!!! Found the way to skip the launcher!
In the "bin" folder of EVE there is a file ExeFile.exe - it throws you directly to the old window when you choose your account and click play.
Enjoy!
Only for a few more days. CCP has already confirmed that the ability to do this will be removed.

We've never given a date, so I don't know where you've come across the idea that it will be in a few days. In many threads so far I've stated that it won't be before Odyssey, and I even stated only a few posts previously in this very thread "Whilst I can't give you an estimated time of arrival on when we will remove the old login screen, it will be at a point in time after people are comfortable with our new login paradigm and feel that the Launcher is offering them comparable functionality."

That won't be in a "few days" Smile

Odyssey is only a few days away. Unless something has changed that I missed. It is currently almost the end of May you know...

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...