These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CCP - Rookie System Rules Clarification

First post First post First post
Author
Cavel Avada
Sons of the Pagan Sky
#21 - 2012-04-25 20:52:57 UTC
Lot of reading comprehension fails in this thread. OP clearly said she's NOT actively griefing newbs, but wants to know if it's ok to kill a newb who does something that deserves it (like stealing her stuff whens he's minding her own business).

Seems like a valid question to me.
Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#22 - 2012-04-25 20:55:09 UTC
Cavel Avada wrote:
Lot of reading comprehension fails in this thread. OP clearly said she's NOT actively griefing newbs, but wants to know if it's ok to kill a newb who does something that deserves it (like stealing her stuff whens he's minding her own business).

Seems like a valid question to me.

If you've been playing for more than 6 months and are still in rookie systems EvE might not be your thing is all I'm sayin'

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#23 - 2012-04-25 20:56:28 UTC
Cavel Avada wrote:
Lot of reading comprehension fails in this thread. OP clearly said she's NOT actively griefing newbs, but wants to know if it's ok to kill a newb who does something that deserves it (like stealing her stuff whens he's minding her own business).

Seems like a valid question to me.


Yeah but most of those asking for further clarification past the GM's clarification are ppl looking TO gank.

Mining is the "Deadliest Catch" in this game

Sentinel Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-04-25 21:01:13 UTC
Cavel Avada wrote:
Lot of reading comprehension fails in this thread. OP clearly said she's NOT actively griefing newbs, but wants to know if it's ok to kill a newb who does something that deserves it (like stealing her stuff whens he's minding her own business).

Seems like a valid question to me.

I don't want to kill newbies at all lol

But if what I define a rookie as, and what a GM does are not the same, then there could be issues..


And Gogela.. I can stay in a this system for 6 years if I want too.. I don't spend all my time here.. But it's still my home base..

If I want to mine, 0.5..
If I want to trade, Jita..
If I want a fight, nullsec.

But I still scan and run sites where ever I find them, and other things.. So I want to know where things stand..


Don't know why everyone thinks the answer for "What are the rules?" is "Move".. Don't work like that anywhere else in Eve, or irl lol.
Sentinel Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-04-25 21:05:03 UTC
Sigurd Sig Hansen wrote:
Cavel Avada wrote:
Lot of reading comprehension fails in this thread. OP clearly said she's NOT actively griefing newbs, but wants to know if it's ok to kill a newb who does something that deserves it (like stealing her stuff whens he's minding her own business).

Seems like a valid question to me.


Yeah but most of those asking for further clarification past the GM's clarification are ppl looking TO gank.

If a GM would do it, I'd gladly get them to vouch for the fact that none of my accounts or toons have ever ganked anyone, or griefed rookies, but anyone definition.

I know anyone that has spent time in Clellinon will vouch for the fact that I help, not grief.. but oh well..

Some people just want to know the rules of the game.. I want to know when I see a Red who isn't in an 'early' ship if I can Shoot.. And I want to know the specifics in case I want to petition someone who is imho greifing a newbie, or seems to be looking for trouble so I can advise them of the rules..
Nephilius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#26 - 2012-04-25 21:05:19 UTC
If you are not a rookie, why are you in a rookie system?
"If."
Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#27 - 2012-04-25 21:09:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Sigurd Sig Hansen
Sentinel Smith wrote:
Sigurd Sig Hansen wrote:
Cavel Avada wrote:
Lot of reading comprehension fails in this thread. OP clearly said she's NOT actively griefing newbs, but wants to know if it's ok to kill a newb who does something that deserves it (like stealing her stuff whens he's minding her own business).

Seems like a valid question to me.


Yeah but most of those asking for further clarification past the GM's clarification are ppl looking TO gank.

If a GM would do it, I'd gladly get them to vouch for the fact that none of my accounts or toons have ever ganked anyone, or griefed rookies, but anyone definition.

I know anyone that has spent time in Clellinon will vouch for the fact that I help, not grief.. but oh well..

Some people just want to know the rules of the game.. I want to know when I see a Red who isn't in an 'early' ship if I can Shoot.. And I want to know the specifics in case I want to petition someone who is imho greifing a newbie, or seems to be looking for trouble so I can advise them of the rules..


if you shoot someone in the system youre in... Im guessing expect a ban. Even/especially if they shoot you first (as theyre expected to do stupid stuff like that cause they dont know better)
Hell, the first time I remember dying I was in my shiny new kestrel and saw someone in a pod, on a gate who had a 100 million bounty on them (that was alot to me back then) so I locked and fires

ONE LIGHT MISSILE


Roll

there was much lolling in local at my expense

Mining is the "Deadliest Catch" in this game

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#28 - 2012-04-25 21:18:10 UTC
Gogela wrote:
do what you want but I would just avoid rookie systems altogether.

That's my take as well. I was in Hadaugago on an alt running the basic tutorials to see how the game had changed in 4 years (#1 change? ZOMG they get a buncha sheit!) - I saw a can outside the undock named "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" - player that owned it was 2 months old, but had no kills on his record.

Just leave the n00bs alone, ffs....

And if you live there? Just be carefull....

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

Sentinel Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2012-04-25 21:31:15 UTC
Nephilius wrote:
If you are not a rookie, why are you in a rookie system?

Because the system is convient for my needs.. not too far from good ore, good missions, trade hubs, and the areas of Null I go..

No reason to move.. And moving would be more trouble than it's worth..

And even if It wasn't.. The gates go both ways.. It's a sandbox and I'm free to be there.. all I want to know are the rules.
Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#30 - 2012-04-25 21:38:30 UTC
That "I just run combat sites in here" could be used for "baiting".

I keep avoiding rookie systems not because of noobs but because of those 2 year old characters jettisoning "free stuff!" cans.
Something Random
Byddin Un
#31 - 2012-04-25 21:49:32 UTC
Sentinel Smith wrote:
GM Homonoia wrote:
I shall make this real simple: Do not mess with rookies in rookie systems in any way.

Thankyou for the concise response :)

Could we get some indication of what a Rookie is ?

Maybe not an exact date and time.. but.. Clearly messing with a newbie in a Navitas would be bad.. What about the guy that shows up in a Retty, Cov, Hulk, stripping the belts bare.. Are we allowed to mess with them ?

Or the two month player running scanned sites down, and ratting in the belts.. are the free to steal from or engage if they take from us ?

There are lots of players that pass through at least the Rookie system I base out of, of all ages, skill levels, and intent..



Its real simple as the GM stated.

Get out of rookie systems. They are saying ANYWHERE else you can pretty much do whatever.

BUT you seem to insist youll live in like 20 systems in the freaking 5000+ system universe ?
Logic fail.
OR you like kicking the smallest kids in kindergarten still at the age of 30 probably.

"caught on fire a little bit, just a little."

"Delinquents, check, weirdos, check, hippies, check, pillheads, check, freaks, check, potheads, check .....gangs´╗┐ all here!"

I love Science, it gives me a Hadron.

hakkiew365
Doomheim
#32 - 2012-04-25 21:54:59 UTC
Ive never understood the logic behind killing rookie players, its like throwing a kid on thin ice when they are just learning how to walk.
I mean what does the veteran gain from killing noobs besides 1 trit, an ibis killmail and an epeen stroke.
Sentinel Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2012-04-25 22:08:02 UTC
You can keep assuming I'm the one griefing them.. All I can say is I'm not..

How can running a scanned site, like Serpentis watch, and killing a looter be considered baiting ? It's not an easy site to scan down, and ontop of that, it's not in public spaces at all. But situations like that is WHY I'm asking so I, and anyone else who happens to search the forums knows.. or at least would have the means to know..

If it is, so be it.. I won't shoot loot thieves.. And the next guy who does, when he says "How the hell would I know", well, it would be on the forums.. or better yet posted in the Rules.. where they should be.


Why do I chose to live here ? Cause I do.. As I said a dozen times, it's convent to the locations where I mine, mission, and trade.. It normally has severial good sites to scan down a run a day. It's where I have the majority of my stuff..

I'm not moving.. so I just want to know the specifics..


Honestly.. I don't understand people who think knowing the rules is a bad thing.. Imagine if life was like that at home, school, and otherwise in the world..

"Don't speed on this road." "What's the speed limit ?" " Get on a different road." .. o_0


I guess in the future I'll just make a petition when I have a question for the GM's.. Clearly most would rather assume that anyone who wants to know the rules is trying to subvert them..
Radelix Cisko
JUMP DRIVE ACTIVE
#34 - 2012-04-25 22:09:17 UTC
I go to rookie systems for the skillbooks, and my alt lives in one because I haven't moved her in a while

Despite my posting prowess I really am terrible at this game

Vaal Erit
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#35 - 2012-04-25 22:15:23 UTC
Rookies got auto kicked out of the Rookie Help channel after 30 days so I would say anyone 1 month and older is fair game.
Killer Gandry
The Concilium Enterprises
#36 - 2012-04-25 22:16:34 UTC
I hardly ever go to a rookie system, only if a skillbook is required and it's the closest station.

As for what a rookie is and what not, if people can't use common sense as to what a rookie in a rookie system is and what not they are in the wrong game aswel.

If you see a hulk in there you sure as hell can say it isn't a rookie.

And it's a very good thing there is some protection in Rookie systems because else we would see a lot of fail people in there messing up the game of those who just started.
If you can't wait for them to come out of that system then you also are in the wrong game.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2012-04-25 22:28:24 UTC
GM Homonoia wrote:
I shall make this real simple: Do not mess with rookies in rookie systems in any way. They are still trying to figure out how to read the overview and how to right click; messing with them at that point in their career is something for bullies who have something to compensate for and only dare to pick on the smallest, weakest boy in kindergarten.

Leave the rookies alone! You don't know where they have been! You don't know what they went through to get where they are! Leave them alone! ~Chris Crocker

Im kidding...but seriously...why do people care what changes are made in rookie systems? If you still haven't moved on and found something better to do than pick on rookies...well...you might just still be a rookie then.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2012-04-25 23:04:35 UTC
Sentinel Smith wrote:
You can keep assuming I'm the one griefing them.. All I can say is I'm not..
I guess in the future I'll just make a petition when I have a question for the GM's.. Clearly most would rather assume that anyone who wants to know the rules is trying to subvert them..


CCP has made it quite clear they want to bring new players to this game. GM has made it quite clear that new players in the Rookie Systems are not to be messed with.

WTF is so hard to understand about that?


You say : What if a new player in the Rookie System scans down a 'Watch' site and then steals your loot?

Everyone more or less knows there's a very small extreme chance of that ever happening.

What I see is you looking for some sort of loophole that allows you to kill new players in the Rookie systems.
Sentinel Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2012-04-25 23:30:17 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
CCP has made it quite clear they want to bring new players to this game. GM has made it quite clear that new players in the Rookie Systems are not to be messed with.

WTF is so hard to understand about that?


You say : What if a new player in the Rookie System scans down a 'Watch' site and then steals your loot?

Everyone more or less knows there's a very small extreme chance of that ever happening.

What I see is you looking for some sort of loophole that allows you to kill new players in the Rookie systems.

That's not what I said at all.

I always What is a new player. I want to know what defines it.. Is it X months on the game or what ?

As for how often I get scanned down and my loot stolen from sites there.. it happens about twice a week, but as I said, if you read my posts, I wouldn't consider any of the people that scanned it down "New Players" they are 2-3 months


And for all the jokes about getting a definition.. I have an ISD who said it's 4months, but that was months ago and in no relation to this topic, I have another person saying 3months, CCP only keeps you in Rookie chat for 1 month.. Then others in this thread saying it's if they are flying TechII, or maybe the class of ship they are in..

I spend enough time in Clellinon to know that lots of "rookies" are actually players who's toon is a few years old, from previous times they have played the game..

There are a thousand variations.. I want to know, as the person out there, by what stick I would be judged on. Clearly I don't know the life story of someone I come across..

Prior to this rule change, my "measuring stick" was anyone in a Tech1 standard cruiser and below I considered new and just warned them away.. anyone else I shoot at.. But I see people in Clellinon that are a week old in a Navy Mega, so clearly even under the best case of a rookie being 1 month, I'd still be in the wrong.. or at least be at risk..

Wanting to know the criteria by which the GM's judge isn't too much to ask..
Killer Gandry
The Concilium Enterprises
#40 - 2012-04-25 23:45:44 UTC
Sentinel Smith wrote:

Wanting to know the criteria by which the GM's judge isn't too much to ask..


Simple. If you kill the player in a Rookie system and you get banned then he was an invalid target.

It's not up to CCP to tag those who are under protection. If you aren't smart enough to figure that out yourselves then you are a real dumbass and deserve the ban.