These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Fixing some things and moving forward

First post First post
Author
Bellasarius Baxter
Zilog Enterprises
#321 - 2011-09-20 19:05:20 UTC
Din'stalor Alaric wrote:
I know CCP arnt kean on checking their software before realise, but i would have thought they could at least spell check their dev blogs before release, -- ''you‘ll be spending Hydropgen Isotopes''

How many beers does it cost a dev these days for making school boy errors ?

LMAO!!! How many beers have you had yourself ? Big smile

Now be a sport, and fix your own spelling....... Shocked

Who can give me the correct number of errors in the above quote ?
Callidus Dux
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#322 - 2011-09-20 19:20:41 UTC
UH! Shocked THAT looks very auspicious. I will be happy, if this build will go online.

Callidus Dux - cloned since 2008.04.13 04:40 [3 Years, 5 Month and 8 Days] ; but never on the test server. Now I will have a look at these hangar, when you put it online.

For what I can see now; I MUST say: good work. I hope it will hold the promises. Big smile
Crasniya
The Aussienauts
#323 - 2011-09-20 21:35:58 UTC
Bellasarius Baxter wrote:
Din'stalor Alaric wrote:
I know CCP arnt kean on checking their software before realise, but i would have thought they could at least spell check their dev blogs before release, -- ''you‘ll be spending Hydropgen Isotopes''

How many beers does it cost a dev these days for making school boy errors ?

LMAO!!! How many beers have you had yourself ? Big smile

Now be a sport, and fix your own spelling....... Shocked

Who can give me the correct number of errors in the above quote ?

I count three plus a capitalization error.

Soraya Xel - Council of Planetary Management 1 - soraya@biomassed.net

Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#324 - 2011-09-20 21:55:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Che Biko
Wedge Reskanor
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#325 - 2011-09-20 22:35:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Wedge Reskanor
Daedalus II wrote:
Quote:
Rather than a checkbox in the escape menu, you will simply be able to board and unboard your ship, toggling between Captain‘s Quarters and Ship Spinning mode. Your client will remember your last choice, so if you left your station while boarded, you will be boarded the next time you find yourself in a station and vice versa.

Personally I'd rather see it work like this:
1) Space -> Hangar
2) Hangar -> Station (CQ)

To get into CQ you'd always have to first dock in the hangar and THEN press some button to make you leave the ship and enter CQ. The way it's going to be implemented will pretty much force everyone to never enter CQ, even if they temporarily wanted it because if they undock it will stick.

To always enter CQ is illogical, you don't leave your pod if you dock just to rearm or drop off ore. But with this functionality you either have to do that, or skip CQ altogether. What if you like CQ in limited amounts, but don't want it all the time?

I guess essentially what I want is for the game to forget which mode I'm in whenever I undock, so I always dock in hangar mode. Then if I want I can go to CQ mode, but I never enter a station directly in CQ mode.

Daedalus, I agree that always entering CQ is illogical.

The way I would solve this would be with a drop down escape menu: one option being 'dock in hanger' and the other 'dock and disembark' or something like that.

This would fully support 3 styles of play:

1) The folks who want nothing to do with CQ would not have to see it and just dock in the hanger.
2) The folks who love decanting everytime they dock could do so.
3) The folks who don't want to decant just to pick up ammo or drop off ore / whatever would not have to, but they could press the new disembark button while in the hanger if they want to decant for a longer station visit.

Alternativly, a new option could be added in the right-click contextual menu for stations that would go right below the "dock" command called "dock and disembark", but otherwise default docking would be in the hanger view. This would make much more sense than the client remembering if you were in hanger mode or CQ mode the last time you docked.

I think the reason why CQ was initially forced on us was because CCP was afraid it would not be used otherwise. CCP, when the rest of incarna comes out, and we can go strolling through a bar or sit down with an agent or whatever, docking and using CQ WILL be used more because there will be a REASON to. Smile
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#326 - 2011-09-20 23:38:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Pr1ncess Alia
Wow, nice.

So I take it Hilmar actually took that "how not to alienate your entire customer base" correspondence course I signed him up for?
Amy Garzan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#327 - 2011-09-21 02:31:53 UTC
I could not be happier reading this blog. Yay for ship spinning and back to the old turret icons!
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#328 - 2011-09-21 08:54:35 UTC
Wedge Reskanor wrote:
Daedalus II wrote:
Quote:
Rather than a checkbox in the escape menu, you will simply be able to board and unboard your ship, toggling between Captain‘s Quarters and Ship Spinning mode. Your client will remember your last choice, so if you left your station while boarded, you will be boarded the next time you find yourself in a station and vice versa.

Personally I'd rather see it work like this:
1) Space -> Hangar
2) Hangar -> Station (CQ)

To get into CQ you'd always have to first dock in the hangar and THEN press some button to make you leave the ship and enter CQ. The way it's going to be implemented will pretty much force everyone to never enter CQ, even if they temporarily wanted it because if they undock it will stick.

To always enter CQ is illogical, you don't leave your pod if you dock just to rearm or drop off ore. But with this functionality you either have to do that, or skip CQ altogether. What if you like CQ in limited amounts, but don't want it all the time?

I guess essentially what I want is for the game to forget which mode I'm in whenever I undock, so I always dock in hangar mode. Then if I want I can go to CQ mode, but I never enter a station directly in CQ mode.

Daedalus, I agree that always entering CQ is illogical.

The way I would solve this would be with a drop down escape menu: one option being 'dock in hanger' and the other 'dock and disembark' or something like that.

This would fully support 3 styles of play:

1) The folks who want nothing to do with CQ would not have to see it and just dock in the hanger.
2) The folks who love decanting everytime they dock could do so.
3) The folks who don't want to decant just to pick up ammo or drop off ore / whatever would not have to, but they could press the new disembark button while in the hanger if they want to decant for a longer station visit.

Alternativly, a new option could be added in the right-click contextual menu for stations that would go right below the "dock" command called "dock and disembark", but otherwise default docking would be in the hanger view. This would make much more sense than the client remembering if you were in hanger mode or CQ mode the last time you docked.

I think the reason why CQ was initially forced on us was because CCP was afraid it would not be used otherwise. CCP, when the rest of incarna comes out, and we can go strolling through a bar or sit down with an agent or whatever, docking and using CQ WILL be used more because there will be a REASON to. Smile

The game will remember how you last left a station and dock that way next time you dock.

Daedalus II wrote:

So dock to and from the hangar... all good.
Now you want to enter CQ/WiS some of the time, simple... Dock... press enter station, and there you are. When you want to undock, press return to hangar and exit station from there. Next time you dock you will go to hangar.

I really dont see what you are complaining about. It seems that WiS is going to be part of Eve eventually, and CCP are giving us a pretty good amount of freedom to decide how we want to use it.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Grojar Flesp
SQS Group
#329 - 2011-09-21 09:08:54 UTC
Finally I will be able to ship spin and let my quarters be just that. A place for the cleaning robot to clean and for me to never enter.

Thanx.
Naso Gomez
#330 - 2011-09-21 09:28:37 UTC
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1334246/EVE/eve_ingame_milliseconds_latency_lag_ui.jpg

When we be able to do this in game, because this is pretty much what I have always wanted to know.
Obllivian
Erebus Innovations
#331 - 2011-09-21 10:33:10 UTC
Crime Zero wrote:
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:
The original UI functionality is scheduled to be retained. Rather than a checkbox in the escape menu, you will simply be able to board and unboard your ship, toggling between Captain‘s Quarters and Ship Spinning mode. Your client will remember your last choice, so if you left your station while boarded, you will be boarded the next time you find yourself in a station and vice versa.

Thank you! This is great news!

Finally this ... after long wait.
Thanks CCP
bornaa
GRiD.
#332 - 2011-09-21 11:11:40 UTC
and please... update station hangar so that it looks like that one we see from CQ and add that CQ balcony so when we are in ship we see that CQ balcony... if thats not done... it will be like two different hangars...
[Yes, I'm an Amateur](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRa-69uBmIw&feature=relmfu)
Jali Prince
JelliBeans
#333 - 2011-09-21 12:37:27 UTC
now then, new font means I dont need to buy glasses just yet and better lighting in minnie quarters will help no end!

new cyno effect, i makes them so I hopes they are goody! Ship spinning would be a nice change, I get a bit piddled off having to move to the edge of the gantry to look at the damn ship, even when i land there and never walk in I always have to walk out...

Methinks a good move ccp! Ta muchly!

PS I like incarna anyway

Chocolate, that's what we need...

Kris Raidan
Zero Atmosphere
Fraternity.
#334 - 2011-09-21 13:35:40 UTC
Perfect!!!!! Big smile
Subrahmaya Chandrasekhar
#335 - 2011-09-21 14:32:04 UTC
Speaking of cyno effects reminded me of the old acceleration gate electrical effect that crackled around and between my ship and the gate.... that was a truly spectacular effect on the order of a jacob's ladder effect in real life. I just can't believe you would want to remove it. Could it have been an accident?

I would like to see it reinstated, something like you are doing with ship spinning. It's only fair ;)

Thanks,
Sub
John McCreedy
Eve Defence Force
#336 - 2011-09-21 14:44:08 UTC
Thanks for listening to us and implmenting changes we asked for. A quick question if I may? Is this the first announced feature set of the Winter Expansion or will it be in a seperate patch released sooner, please?

13 years and counting. Eve Defence Force is recruiting.

Komen
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#337 - 2011-09-21 17:28:40 UTC
Boarding and unboarding ship - cool, now you've got it as it should have been all along. Much approval.

Reverting to the old drawn icons for turrets - also cool.

The fixes for CQ...cool, what the heck, we're on a roll.

3/3 wins. Go go CCP.
mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#338 - 2011-09-21 22:14:40 UTC
" Rather than a checkbox in the escape menu, you will simply be able to board and unboard your ship, toggling between Captain‘s Quarters and Ship Spinning mode. Your client will remember your last choice, so if you left your station while boarded, you will be boarded the next time you find yourself in a station and vice versa. Expect it on the test server soon™"

Wow, this is a perfect solution. Thanks CCP!
Guillame Herschel
Buffalo Soldiers
#339 - 2011-09-21 23:38:46 UTC
I stopped flying turret ships altogether because of those invisible tiny models that replaced the icons on the targeting UI. I am happy to have the opportunity soon to fly turret ships again.

Now can I have a Opux Luxury Yacht too? Pretty please with ozone on top?
Andreus Ixiris
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#340 - 2011-09-22 06:48:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Andreus Ixiris
Can it be true? Can it be true?

You're letting Torfi Frans do his job again?

Well, I've resubbed.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.