These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[December] Balance Smorgasbord

First post First post
Author
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#321 - 2015-10-22 10:40:10 UTC
Hey wow, I just noticed: Without damage-bonus to lasers, the Punisher is now a good brawler if you use small autocannons. Or maybe even a good kiter with hybrids? I have to test this when the changes come out, the Punisher is probably too slow to make good use of hybrids, but combined with it's -100% bonus to cap drain (P), the option to use projectile turrets seems very good right now.

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#322 - 2015-10-22 10:41:54 UTC
TrouserDeagle wrote:
yeah because who needs warp disruptors warp scramblers stasis webifiers remote sensor boosters remote eccm target painters sensor dampeners ecm or tracking disruptors right?

As long as mainstay ships are angry enough to justify assigning support ships that carry all that stuff, you don't need all these things on each and every ship in your gang, I suppose.

The only issue I have is that ships that look like built to be used in such a way (like Punisher, Abaddon...) is that instead of being murdermobiles of their class that are nothing special without support, they are simply nothing special (terms and conditions apply) at what they do while also giving up utility and independence on supporting ships.

So, instead of generic "I can mount a trinity and something else" ship that will either obsolete or be obsoleted by another such generic ship in the meta eventually, I'd rather see CCP implementing more rare concept of a ship for fleets trading size of mainstay body for additional support & maintenance ships (cap transfer, tackling, whatever your backbone ship is lacking because of its slot layout) to be effective.

I believe that experimenting with lowly Punisher is a good start to get an idea on how this can work. Maybe Abaddons, Mallers and the like (think something along the lines of old 8/1/4 Coercers) will finally be good and become a part of interesting to fly composition for once, eventually.
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#323 - 2015-10-22 10:53:07 UTC
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
TrouserDeagle wrote:
yeah because who needs warp disruptors warp scramblers stasis webifiers remote sensor boosters remote eccm target painters sensor dampeners ecm or tracking disruptors right?

As long as mainstay ships are angry enough to justify assigning support ships that carry all that stuff, you don't need all these things on each and every ship in your gang, I suppose.

The only issue I have is that ships that look like built to be used in such a way (like Punisher, Abaddon...) is that instead of being murdermobiles of their class that are nothing special without support, they are simply nothing special (terms and conditions apply) at what they do while also giving up utility and independence on supporting ships.

So, instead of generic "I can mount a trinity and something else" ship that will either obsolete or be obsoleted by another such generic ship in the meta eventually, I'd rather see CCP implementing more rare concept of a ship for fleets trading size of mainstay body for additional support & maintenance ships (cap transfer, tackling, whatever your backbone ship is lacking because of its slot layout) to be effective.

I believe that experimenting with lowly Punisher is a good start to get an idea on how this can work. Maybe Abaddons, Mallers and the like (think something along the lines of old 8/1/4 Coercers) will finally be good and become a part of interesting to fly composition for once, eventually.

I don't think mallers and abaddons are exactly bad among their own classes. you don't see mallers because they're T1 cruisers and because they aren't vexors I guess, and you don't see abaddons because they aren't faction battleships.
Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#324 - 2015-10-22 10:53:31 UTC
The punisher with 2 mids and 5 lows will work well both in gangs and for solo if only it got a tracking bonus in place of that cap usage bonus. for solo it could be like a noob friendly version of the slicer, not as powerful or fast but much more forgiving of pilot error due to better tracking and more tank.
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#325 - 2015-10-22 11:04:36 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:
The punisher with 2 mids and 5 lows will work well both in gangs and for solo if only it got a tracking bonus in place of that cap usage bonus. for solo it could be like a noob friendly version of the slicer, not as powerful or fast but much more forgiving of pilot error due to better tracking and more tank.

slicer is noob friendly though
Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#326 - 2015-10-22 11:18:10 UTC
even noob friendlier then.

anyway tracking bonus be nice for both brawl fits and kite fits without making it OP. imo
Templar Dane
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#327 - 2015-10-22 11:57:36 UTC
Trinkets friend wrote:

Patently, no Amarr frigate was designed to fit beams, either. No Gallente frigate was designed to fit rails. *massive skull-destroying eye-roll*

The Rifter was not designed for anything. it was kludged together by CCP whoever, back in the day, before a real mathematical model of the game was really well understood by more than one or two guys, and the Devs just made stuff up by drawing random numbers out of a hat.

You doubt me? Look at the various iterations of Tiercide, which have levelled out hitpoints and capacitor levels to round 100's from the bespoke lunacy that came before. The problem being, CCP Fozzie and current balane Devs are unwilling, unable, or not courageous enough to really deconstruct the lineup of modules and ship fitting capacities to rework them to a logical framework.

You know, you might be right. Let's just assume that Minmatar frigates were never meant to fit long range weapons. This then means that Minmatar are forever at a disadvantage in terms of play style, tactics and meta-gaming with respect to every other race. It also means small artillery was only designed PURELY for the Thrasher (and megathrons, it seems).

What a great example to take to the Devs, if you are correct, and drive hom the point that artillery needs to be reformed, or Minmatar frigates need drastic - utterly visceral - reformation to give them the capabilities that they deserve - or forever be useless.

It is a ridiculous assertion, but one which really does in fact drive home the crux of my argument: either redesign artillery PG costs to make fits viable, or give the hulls the capacity to fit both long and short range guns.

In a metagame where you have faster ships with gankier short-range weapons (Incursus, Atron) and faster ships with more efficient long-range weapons, it is disastrous to keep the Rifter held in check because back in 2008 it was the only frigate which was put together well as an AC brawler (remember Frigates pre-tiercide, when the Bantam has mining lasers? no?)

None of them were designed with arty in mind, and since autos are super easy to fit.......they're way behind in fittings when it comes to artillery.

Look at the fitting requirements.

Gatling Pulse Laser II - 3cpu/5.4pg
Light Electron Blaster II - 6cpu/3.6pg
125 Gatling Autocannon II - 2.3cpu/.9pg

If the pg on projectile ships were changed, they would have to increase the fitting requirements on the autocannons.

It wasn't that long ago that minmatar had a near monopoly on the best ships in each class.

best frigate = rifter
best destroyer = thrasher
best af = jag, with wolf being 2nd
best dictor = sabre
best cruiser = rupture
best battlecruiser = tie between cane and drake
best command ship = sleip

And then the angel ships crapping on everything. They were best in class everywhere except battleships and capitals.

If you miss those times, when everything else was inferior, I'd say you're a bit biased. The last blanket projectile buff was also during that time, pre-tiericide. When those ships were already the best they got buffed so they were even better than they were. That situation caused tiericide.

Trinkets friend wrote:

In a metagame where you have faster ships with gankier short-range weapons (Incursus, Atron) and faster ships with more efficient long-range weapons, it is disastrous to keep the Rifter held in check because back in 2008 it was the only frigate which was put together well as an AC brawler (remember Frigates pre-tiercide, when the Bantam has mining lasers? no?)

Uhhhhh, if you're asserting that minmatar ships are slower than the other races...........
Moac Tor
Cyber Core
Immediate Destruction
#328 - 2015-10-22 12:02:26 UTC
TrouserDeagle wrote:
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
TrouserDeagle wrote:

I don't think mallers and abaddons are exactly bad among their own classes. you don't see mallers because they're T1 cruisers and because they aren't vexors I guess, and you don't see abaddons because they aren't faction battleships.

Mallers and Abaddons are actually powerful ships. And even better in fleets due to the resistance bonus.
Templar Dane
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#329 - 2015-10-22 12:12:26 UTC
atron = guns
incursus = guns
tristan = drones

slasher = guns
breacher = missiles
rifter = guns

condor = missiles
merlin = guns
kestrel = missiles

executioner = guns
tormentor = guns
punisher = guns

Variety is the spice of life.

Though I guess the sort of variety CCP is aiming for looks more like.......

executioner = lasers
tormentor = lasers
punisher = projectiles
Master Sergeant MacRobert
Red Sky Morning
The Amarr Militia.
#330 - 2015-10-22 12:31:19 UTC
Templar Dane wrote:
atron = guns
incursus = guns
tristan = drones

slasher = guns
breacher = missiles
rifter = guns

condor = missiles
merlin = guns
kestrel = missiles

executioner = guns
tormentor = guns
punisher = guns

Variety is the spice of life.

Though I guess the sort of variety CCP is aiming for looks more like.......

executioner = lasers
tormentor = lasers
punisher = projectiles

Nice.

Well we do have the Cruicfer = drones and lasers

Still a Punisher with Rockets would have been nice to see but, perhaps too useful?

"Remedy this situation or you shall live out the rest of your life in a pain amplifier"

Paladin Genghis Khanid
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#331 - 2015-10-22 12:32:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Paladin Genghis Khanid
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Paladin Genghis Khanid wrote:

As a new Amarr player I'm currently flying a Tormentor and I was planning on "upgrading" to a Punisher.

And there is your issue. Both are T1 frigates, neither is meant to be an upgrade to the other, they are different tools for different jobs of roughly equal overall power level all things considered.

It's not my issue. In fact, that's not really relevant. That was simply my take on the ships prior to playing the game. It has no relevance on the subject of the changes being proposed for the Punisher. As far as I can tell these changes will take an already weak ship and make it even weaker or downright pointless. Seeing as you picked that little snippet out of everything else I mentioned, can I assume you agree with my sentiments?

My main issues are:

1. Decreased DPS. Either thru a forced four autocannon fitting or three laser/hybrid and a vampire fitting (with no damage bonus).
2. No PVE viability w/o the above setups. Lack of capacitor stability enough to utilize an active armor tank .

P.S. What job does the Punisher do exactly that the Tormentor cannot do or can't do as well?
Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#332 - 2015-10-22 12:39:40 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

As a new Amarr player I'm currently flying a Tormentor and I was planning on "upgrading" to a Punisher.

And there is your issue. Both are T1 frigates, neither is meant to be an upgrade to the other, they are different tools for different jobs of roughly equal overall power level all things considered.

It's not my issue. In fact, that's not really relevant. That was simply my take on the ships prior to playing the game. It has no relevance on the subject of the changes being proposed for the Punisher.

My main issues are:

1. Decreased DPS. Either thru a forced four autocannon fitting or three laser/hybrid and a vampire fitting (with no damage bonus).
2. No PVE viability w/o the above setups. Lack of capacitor stability enough to utilize an active armor tank (i.e. it's PVE use is squashed).

As far as I can tell these changes will take an already weak ship and make it even weaker or downright pointless. Seeing as you picked that little snippet out of everything else I mentioned, can I assume you agree with my sentiments?

P.S. What job does the Punisher do exactly that the Tormentor cannot do or can't do as well?

20k ehp tank
Paladin Genghis Khanid
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#333 - 2015-10-22 12:42:53 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:

20k ehp tank

Please elaborate on how 20K ehp is a job.
Templar Dane
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#334 - 2015-10-22 12:44:26 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:

20k ehp tank

Bait. Nothing else.

Because for solo the punisher sucks and tank doesn't matter in gang.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#335 - 2015-10-22 12:47:51 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:

20k ehp tank

The same way 350k ehp on a proteus with a cyno is sort of a job.
Arla Sarain
#336 - 2015-10-22 12:51:41 UTC

10k EHP 4km/s hard tackle with 4 250mm Artillery.
Paladin Genghis Khanid
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#337 - 2015-10-22 12:54:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Paladin Genghis Khanid
Sounds to me like the answer is "nothing at all".

Templar Dane wrote:
Fourteen Maken wrote:

20k ehp tank

Bait. Nothing else.

Because for solo the punisher sucks and tank doesn't matter in gang.

How can it even function as bait if all it can do is serve as bait? If you see a Punisher you automatically know it's bait. Because why else would anyone use it otherwise? Ugh

Arla Sarain wrote:
10k EHP 4km/s hard tackle with 4 250mm Artillery.

I mean in its current iteration. Not theoretically after the changes.

Doesn't artillery have very bad tracking? What would be the point in fitting artillery on a tackler that operates close enough to use a warp scrambler?
Templar Dane
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#338 - 2015-10-22 13:23:48 UTC

Doesn't artillery have very bad tracking? What would be the point in fitting artillery on a tackler that operates close enough to use a warp scrambler?

It can work in gang in novice plexes. Right now the king of novice plex fleets is the tristan. 15 or so arty punishers with good timing/teamwork could alpha through pretty much anything that can enter, negating the swarms of logi.

Would need a good number of webs, quake, keep at range 4km. Everybody on primary, firing at the same time.

Don't think it would work well with tremor against the shield tanking kiting tristans though.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#339 - 2015-10-22 13:42:51 UTC
Templar Dane wrote:

It can work in gang in novice plexes. Right now the king of novice plex fleets is the tristan. 15 or so arty punishers with good timing/teamwork could alpha through pretty much anything that can enter, negating the swarms of logi.

Would need a good number of webs, quake, keep at range 4km. Everybody on primary, firing at the same time.

Don't think it would work well with tremor against the shield tanking kiting tristans though.

You wouldnt use tremor. Tremor isnt useful on non bonused hulls and even then, its very niche because of the massive tracking penalty.

Against kiting tristans it would be depleted uranium. Tracking bonus + thermal/kinetic/explo dmg.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#340 - 2015-10-22 14:09:37 UTC
Templar Dane wrote:
Stitch Kaneland wrote:

This is also an MMO where its expected that you have friends. Not every ship needs to have 3-4 mids to be viable. Does it help? Certainly, but homogenizing all the ships just so they are all viable for solo pvp is boring. There are actually a few ships that work well even with only 2 mids.

Navy slicer
Kitey beam coercer
Arty wolf and ac wolf (mainly in null)
catalyst (not just for ganking)

The punisher and retribution seem to be geared towards pvping with a gang/logi. A 400mm punisher gang with some resist mods and inquisitor/navitas support is going to be mean. Its also not quite as slow as people make it out to be.

Yes the punisher has 2 mids. But your friends have all the tackle you will need. This trends similarly into HACs as well. Zealot/muninn used to be very good fleet doctrines before legion/loki/mach/TFI became the norm. Both suffer from "not enough mids" to be viable in solo pvp (outside a couple niche fits) in the same way. They are fleet orientated. Hell the zealot doesnt even have drones.

As mentioned already, the tormentor and executioner are strong ships with 3 mids. Why do you need a third laser boat with similar slot layout. This at least gives armor gangs a cheap tanky ship for tackle in FW. I already see retribution/wolf armor gangs on occasion. This is no different.

If I had a nickel for every time an amarr gang lost tackle on an oversized AB target because nobody had a web......

3 mids is better than 2, every single time.

3 mids and 3 lows > 2 mids and 6 lows

And as I've said earlier, even in the logi gangs the tormentor is the better choice because the logi/ewar are going to be shot first. The tormentor brings more projection and dps, applies it better, and has that magical 3rd mid. All that extra tank on the punisher matters not until you're the one being shot at. And if you're being shot at, odds are the logi is all dead and tank isn't going to matter much.

Its not the ships fault you lost your gang. Your gang should have had a better composition. Some guys have webs, some have points. Or bring a hyena for webs. 1-2 hyena's plus punishers and logi would be adequate.

If your logi dies first... maybe you need more logi, or better fits. Or, maybe you fought someone with a better composition/tactics. Or your logi derped around and found themselves distanced from your guys making them easy targets.

I fail to see how this is all the 2 mid ships fault. Ive fought roaming frig gangs (retri/wolf/enyo/catalyst etc) that have logi support. When theyre actually disciplined and have good fits, they are a pain to kill.