These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[December] Balance Smorgasbord

First post First post
Author
TenTen Artakian
Mystic Mutations
Shadow Ultimatum
#681 - 2015-12-16 13:33:11 UTC
-1 slot for gila????
why???? so stuidOopsOopsOopsOopsOopsTwisted
Zoro Astra
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#682 - 2015-12-19 20:07:20 UTC
I'm also disappointed to have my lovely Gila gutted.

The problem with metrics based balancing is that it can be perfect, and perfect balance means no outliers. No outliers collapses down the interesting combinations of play styles and ships that work, and then it doesn't matter what ship you choose. They are all perfectly balanced, perfectly identical.

The danger of perfect balance in a game with skill progression over time is that it makes exploring the content pointless.

The passive tank on the Gila was an outlier, but was it truly causing real problems other than a red entry in a spreadsheet? Surely there were better ways? Buff the rest of the universe. Create new and better sweet spots elsewhere. Cut down/off the supply of new Gilas. But don't take away my treasured toy.

Perfect balance will cut the number of Gila's flying, but if you systematically take their toys away, casual and lazy players like me won't switch to other ships, they'll switch to other games.

The main objective of MMO design is to hide from the player for as long as possible that the game is fundamentally pointless (which they all are btw). Perfect balance cuts that time. So does nerfng x rather than buffing not x.

Flyinghotpocket
Small Focused Memes
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#683 - 2015-12-20 03:43:25 UTC
the gila tears are so good. i might have to start flying the ship again. now that its UP

Amarr Militia Representative - A jar of nitro

Kenyon Boirelle
Astra Cruentus Zoo Corp
#684 - 2016-01-03 02:48:32 UTC
Shocked
Quote:
Orthrus:
Another extremely dominant ship, this nerf is relatively mild compared to the Orthrus' strength but we feel pretty comfortable moving incrementally here. I know that many people will be unhappy that we're not nerfing the Orthrus harder at this time, but we feel that especially combined with the addition of the missile disruptors we are best served by making this change (which is quite significant by most standards) and observing the results before moving further.
Reduce damage bonus to +15% per level

So I pay for game time to skill up level 5 to get the bonus and then you come along and "nerf it" and take the bonus away. OK Do I get a refund for the time I paid for to skill up this mistake you made in your game?
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#685 - 2016-01-03 22:20:28 UTC
Kenyon Boirelle wrote:
Shocked
Quote:
Orthrus:
Another extremely dominant ship, this nerf is relatively mild compared to the Orthrus' strength but we feel pretty comfortable moving incrementally here. I know that many people will be unhappy that we're not nerfing the Orthrus harder at this time, but we feel that especially combined with the addition of the missile disruptors we are best served by making this change (which is quite significant by most standards) and observing the results before moving further.

So I pay for game time to skill up level 5 to get the bonus and then you come along and "nerf it" and take the bonus away. OK Do I get a refund for the time I paid for to skill up this mistake you made in your game?

they didn't take any bonus away. You're level 5 skill still gets you to level 5. They reduced the damage amount which is fair considering the ship is oppressively powerful and bad for the game.

Cry more about how you trained into an obviously OP FOTM ship knowing full well its going to be nerfed eventually.
Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#686 - 2016-01-08 04:47:42 UTC
Stitch Kaneland wrote:
Kenyon Boirelle wrote:
Shocked
Quote:
Orthrus:

they didn't take any bonus away. You're level 5 skill still gets you to level 5. They reduced the damage amount which is fair considering the ship is oppressively powerful and bad for the game.

Cry more about how you trained into an obviously OP FOTM ship knowing full well its going to be nerfed eventually.

poor orthrus and gila pilots. what will they do with those useless skills now? they'll have to make do with slightly less OP gila and orthrus or use cerb, ishtar, vexor, navy vexor, caracal, navy osprey etc. it was a heavy blow Sad
Loki Feiht
Pathfinders.
Shattered Foundations
#687 - 2016-01-19 00:48:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Loki Feiht
Love the way you balance things by just creating new fotm and basically unbalancing the entire line up, Firetail needs more speed (or range), Taranis needs more agility, stabber fleet needs something as i'll be damned if it balances at all with the rest of the faction cruisers

More NPC - Randomly Generated Modular Content thread https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=220858

Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#688 - 2016-01-19 21:37:23 UTC
Loki Feiht wrote:
Love the way you balance things by just creating new fotm and basically unbalancing the entire line up, Firetail needs more speed (or range), Taranis needs more agility, stabber fleet needs something as i'll be damned if it balances at all with the rest of the faction cruisers

Why? I can agree somewhat about the SFI, but whats your reasoning? Just saying these things should change but with no reason behind it doesnt help or give people information.

For example, the firetail can easily go 5k/s with heat. Enough to slingshot slicers and such. Or it has plenty of range scram kiting with artillery. So from what perspective are you looking through that brings you to believe these ships need buffing?