These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The Shrinking Sandbox - Eve by numbers

First post First post First post
Author
0bama Barack Hussein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1921 - 2015-07-11 14:48:15 UTC  |  Edited by: 0bama Barack Hussein
I really started to think about PLEX system, and think it is ingenious!

It ensures EvE´s survival, as there is always that hardcore playerbase that keeps on buying PLEX´s, to be sold on markets for isk, to skill mulltiple chars, buy boots nobody sees...

I bet even ED and SC will someday adopt this kind of payment model when income starts to decrease, eventhough neither games are subscription based (maybe just to buy ingame currency or stuff/content).

CCP is brilliant! Big smile

Death of EvE is false prophets new doomsday thing after 2012 passed.
Pyro Miner
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1922 - 2015-07-11 14:52:32 UTC
0bama Barack Hussein wrote:
I really started to think about PLEX system, and think it is ingenious!

It ensures EvE´s survival, as there is always that hardcore playerbase that keeps on buying PLEX´s, to be sold on markets for isk, to skill mulltiple chars, buy boots nobody sees...

I bet even ED and SC will someday adopt this kind of payment model when income starts to decrease, eventhough neither games are subscription based (maybe just to buy ingame currency or stuff/content).

CCP is brilliant! Big smile

Death of EvE is false prophets new doomsday thing after 2012 passed.


wel they alrdy sell skins for mony
0bama Barack Hussein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1923 - 2015-07-11 14:53:41 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Well the fitting service on one of our stations got entosised yesterday so we're disbanding and moving our stuff to hi-sec while there's still time

Ocker, you were right all along I am sorry I doubted you.


Time to move on and adapt, maybe even try griefing their new sov back.

CCP has definitely decided to get these changes through, no thread can change that, and you will not be first or last to suffer.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#1924 - 2015-07-11 15:20:30 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
La Rynx wrote:
"!=" means "equals not", "is not" in layman's terms.
What does it mean in non-layman's terms?
Hehehehehee!
"So, anyway there is this symbol using in programming != or /= that in layman's terms means 'not equal' and in programming ... well ... err ... umm ... it means 'not equal'. Moving on!" Lol

(Stay tuned Scipio, you are going to love the x = x + 1 explanation) Blink

I also loved how they went on about quality.
In missions there is at least some variety. In Null Sec anomolies you just fly in, tank, spank and loot.

... but how dare the Null Sec people ahve any PVE! They have all that F1 PVP! Each type of space must have its own forte! X

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#1925 - 2015-07-11 17:08:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
La Rynx wrote:
"!=" means "equals not", "is not" in layman's terms.
What does it mean in non-layman's terms?
Hehehehehee!
"So, anyway there is this symbol using in programming != or /= that in layman's terms means 'not equal' and in programming ... well ... err ... umm ... it means 'not equal'. Moving on!" Lol

(Stay tuned Scipio, you are going to love the x = x + 1 explanation) Blink

I also loved how they went on about quality.
In missions there is at least some variety. In Null Sec anomolies you just fly in, tank, spank and loot.

... but how dare the Null Sec people ahve any PVE! They have all that F1 PVP! Each type of space must have its own forte! X


Just FYI, I've heard that there are pirate mission agents in nullsec... Straight

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

GankYou
9B30FF Labs
#1926 - 2015-07-11 17:32:46 UTC  |  Edited by: GankYou
0bama Barack Hussein wrote:
[...] buy boots nobody sees...


I do look sometimes. Oops

Quote:
CCP is brilliant! Big smile


They are. Blink
Jenshae Chiroptera
#1927 - 2015-07-11 18:52:18 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Just FYI, I've heard that there are pirate mission agents in nullsec... Straight
Did your source also tell you how widely they are found across space?

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1928 - 2015-07-11 23:25:10 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Update: It was actually the reprocessing service


WHY DIDNT I BUY THAT JF WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE Cry

Damn, did it happen while you were out with your allies attacking assets of an alliance half your size?
Or were you too busy safely ratting for your next Rattlesnake and couldn't be bothered defending it?

My opinions are mine.

  If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1929 - 2015-07-12 00:07:30 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Just FYI, I've heard that there are pirate mission agents in nullsec... Straight
Did your source also tell you how widely they are found across space?

Nul agents offer the same missions as their highsec counterparts. Doing what in highsec would be a sit and relax mission, in nulsec when you get a local spike and combat probes up. Adds a nice element to mission running Big smile


Ishtanchuk - Maybe it is not better highsec content you want but something different that gets your heart pumping a bit.


There are nulsec agents, in a select few pockets that every small pvp gang knows well. When it comes to risk vs reward vs fun, nulsec missions have a bit of each. Running lvl 4 missions in a pvp fit ship is - Interesting P

Lowsec missions can be rewarding, from a risk vs reward vs fun position, if it is change you need, try some. The risk of having to watch local and keep Dscan up, adds a little something extra.

When it comes to just increasing wallet size, with as little risk as possible - Highsec is the place to be.

My opinions are mine.

  If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#1930 - 2015-07-12 00:54:21 UTC
La Rynx wrote:
"!=" means "equals not", "is not" in layman's terms.


I'll show my age. The "not equals" symbol is:

.NE.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Jenshae Chiroptera
#1931 - 2015-07-12 01:15:01 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Ishtanchuk - Maybe it is not better highsec content you want but something different that gets your heart pumping a bit.
I suspect it is the other way around. Complete safety with the ability to socialise.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#1932 - 2015-07-12 02:24:08 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Second: PvP is a very flexible concept and stretches well beyond "I shoot your face"

I've always noted that

"I shoot your structure"

and now:

"I entosis your sov"

work perfectly.

Also, "I afk cloak your system"

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

0bama Barack Hussein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1933 - 2015-07-12 08:17:49 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Ishtanchuk - Maybe it is not better highsec content you want but something different that gets your heart pumping a bit.
I suspect it is the other way around. Complete safety with the ability to socialise.


I can confirm that I have occasionally got to high sec (alt, like this) just to either make isk doing lvl 4´s relaxing without stress of red´s coming into local, and also for BS-talk (like in this alts npc chat, or in FW chat).
Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#1934 - 2015-07-12 08:21:59 UTC
0bama Barack Hussein wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Ishtanchuk - Maybe it is not better highsec content you want but something different that gets your heart pumping a bit.
I suspect it is the other way around. Complete safety with the ability to socialise.


I can confirm that I have occasionally got to high sec (alt, like this) just to either make isk doing lvl 4´s relaxing without stress of red´s coming into local, and also for BS-talk (like in this alts npc chat, or in FW chat).



this proves even more that the games harsh way of treating each other is a detrimental to new players.. I mean hey if you need an Alt of an ALT to even post on the games own damn forum.. then no wonder the shrinking numbers continues.

too many folks are in denial about it.. including ccp.

im just laughing cause I bet that attitude will change soon as the competition heats up..

the day of reckoning is coming and that is all........................................................................
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#1935 - 2015-07-12 08:52:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Just FYI, I've heard that there are pirate mission agents in nullsec... Straight
Did your source also tell you how widely they are found across space?

Nul agents offer the same missions as their highsec counterparts. Doing what in highsec would be a sit and relax mission, in nulsec when you get a local spike and combat probes up. Adds a nice element to mission running Big smile


Ishtanchuk - Maybe it is not better highsec content you want but something different that gets your heart pumping a bit.


There are nulsec agents, in a select few pockets that every small pvp gang knows well. When it comes to risk vs reward vs fun, nulsec missions have a bit of each. Running lvl 4 missions in a pvp fit ship is - Interesting P

Lowsec missions can be rewarding, from a risk vs reward vs fun position, if it is change you need, try some. The risk of having to watch local and keep Dscan up, adds a little something extra.

When it comes to just increasing wallet size, with as little risk as possible - Highsec is the place to be.



Well, wallet size never moved me, and it wouldn't be smart to discuss publicly what floats my boat with EVE... Blink

What I want is to enjoy EVE's deepest content without resetting to zero my acquired knowledge and advantages (6 years of PvE and a nice collection of PvE tools aka ships). I'm not going to struggle with pew pew in T1 frigates at this point. vºv

I want to generate and consume player generated content... through PvE. EVE's PvP exists in two flavors: "I punch your face" (disruption by physical destruction of game assets) and "I eat the last cookie" (competition for limited game resources). But there is a third flavor to PvP: "I kill your bishop and chess mate in three moves" (game disruption by a set of rules) .

Factor in that NPC are irrelevant in EVE and so there's an open road to "disruption by rules" through "NPCs" and thus "PvE".

And I think that what's good for the goose is good for the gander too: as soon as rescuing the damsel for the 20th time gives the tools to oppose your bishop to somebody's tower, the game will become way more interesting and the sandbox will be more complete.

Blame Mike Azariah for his "peacedec" concept on forcing other players to do what they don't want or don't like or just don't care to do. In my opinion he totally hit the nail there. The way in which some players accidentally earn the abbility to force other players to stop playing or play in a different way and how those players are not given any chance to defend by playing their way has costed EVE literally millions of subscribers. And also has lead to the current situation where a bunch of old farts fight over the despoils of the game** as new players wisely move away or don't even come in.

Also, after so many years EVE totally needs a Yin to balance out the rampant Yang... but that would be another matter.


**including the work of the severely diminished human resources of the company. We all want the last ~450 to work on *our* pet projects since they no longer are ~600 and there's no man/hours to waste in "other" stuff. They also are busy struggling to keep their company and their jobs, which includes trusting their EP, their CEO an their leadership in general when they clash with the (grumpyawesome) customer base.

At least they don't have to stand any bad breath... Lol

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1936 - 2015-07-12 11:43:36 UTC
So in short, you want to stay in hi-sec but be able to use your PvE-derived ISK/Standings/LP/whatever to have NPCs **** with other players rather than actually doing it yourself because in your own words, you've dug yourself into a pit of PVE expertise and you're scared to climb out of it.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#1937 - 2015-07-12 12:08:14 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
So in short, you want to stay in hi-sec but be able to use your PvE-derived ISK/Standings/LP/whatever to have NPCs **** with other players rather than actually doing it yourself because in your own words, you've dug yourself into a pit of PVE expertise and you're scared to climb out of it.


That's not what I said and it's not what I mean and it's not what I want.

I don't want to mess with you. But if you choose to mess with me, I want to give you enough risk for your reward, even if we play the game in different ways.

Also, it must be noted that "people who dug themselves into a pit of PVE expertise" are 50% of the game or more, and their retention rate is godawful. It's not a small issue whether those players will stand on equal footing to other players who pay exactly the same money, or will keep being treated as disposable stepchildren by CCP.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#1938 - 2015-07-12 13:59:45 UTC
0bama Barack Hussein wrote:
I really started to think about PLEX system, and think it is ingenious!

It ensures EvE´s survival, as there is always that hardcore playerbase that keeps on buying PLEX´s, to be sold on markets for isk, to skill mulltiple chars, buy boots nobody sees...

I bet even ED and SC will someday adopt this kind of payment model when income starts to decrease, eventhough neither games are subscription based (maybe just to buy ingame currency or stuff/content).

CCP is brilliant! Big smile

Death of EvE is false prophets new doomsday thing after 2012 passed.
Blizzard have already introduced a PLEX equivalent to Wow that can be traded for ingame currency or used for game time. The major difference is that it can only be traded once.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Jenshae Chiroptera
#1939 - 2015-07-12 14:05:50 UTC
Milla Goodpussy wrote:
... I mean hey if you need an Alt of an ALT to even post on the games own damn forum.. then ....
You don't have enough jump clones, bookmarks and all the other tricks that make people miserable when they are trying to hunt you.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1940 - 2015-07-12 14:06:28 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
So in short, you want to stay in hi-sec but be able to use your PvE-derived ISK/Standings/LP/whatever to have NPCs **** with other players rather than actually doing it yourself because in your own words, you've dug yourself into a pit of PVE expertise and you're scared to climb out of it.


That's not what I said and it's not what I mean and it's not what I want.

I don't want to mess with you. But if you choose to mess with me, I want to give you enough risk for your reward, even if we play the game in different ways.

Also, it must be noted that "people who dug themselves into a pit of PVE expertise" are 50% of the game or more, and their retention rate is godawful. It's not a small issue whether those players will stand on equal footing to other players who pay exactly the same money, or will keep being treated as disposable stepchildren by CCP.



It's what you conveyed.

Can you give a specific example of a hypothetical mechanic that would do what you wanted?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016