These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Politics by Other Means: Sovereignty Phase Two

First post First post First post
Author
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
#221 - 2015-03-03 17:12:48 UTC
Smile when I suggested to make sov-warfare more faction warfare-like, I was shut down..

Turns out it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Tiberian Deci
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#222 - 2015-03-03 17:13:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiberian Deci
Total Newbie wrote:

there is no longer a reason to hold sov if this is implemented.... sov would only be held in strategic locations that cover a whole bunch of r-64's and 32's. The little guy wont be able to afford his sov bill, he will run out of money because he cant control the moon income..... then he leaves 0.0.... we have come full circle

If he can't pay his sov bill then he doesn't deserve the sov end of story.

Now if you think the only way to make money to pay sov bills is by using R32 and R64's, let me introduce you to this thing called ratting. You get in a ship and warp to an anom or belt and shoot all the pirates there, and then concord gives you money, it's a pretty sweet deal.

If you don't see the point in owning sov that you actually have to use to own, then you are part of the problem with nullsec these days.
Allant Doran
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#223 - 2015-03-03 17:13:18 UTC
Just to add another player's point of view;

I'm not a huge fan of the prime time idea, as it means tiny, newbie corps and alliances will only have a shot at taking space when the big boys are already online. It also means the more drastic time-zone differences will MUCH more rarely see War.

HOWEVER, if some newbies still have the gall to attempt a system takeover, the larger blocs have to send SOME kind of response. In doing so, they spread themselves, leaving a system several constellations over, more vulnerable than it would have been if nobody had bothered. In theory, anyway, I don't know if this will work in practice. It does mean Supers and other Caps can't be everywhere at one at the drop of a hat though. Defend one attack, then realise another attack is two hours of cyno-jumping Supers away.

I also like the idea that owner Alliances have to be there. Your friends can help you in the battle but they cannot help you protect the Sov of the space itself. I think that has the potential to be a very exciting mechanic.

Sadly, none of this means anything if the Space is not worth fighting over, and it is my understanding that that is still one of the overarching issues people have with 0.0 Warfare. Why bother?
Callic Veratar
#224 - 2015-03-03 17:13:56 UTC
There should be one more defense bonus based on the size of the window:

`n * ([4 hour windows] - 1) * 0.2` where n = 1-6

If you have 1 window, you get the basic 1x bonus. If you are vulnerable 24 hours a day, you automatically get a 2x defensive bonus.
Xenuria
#225 - 2015-03-03 17:14:01 UTC
I support this.

Total Newbie
State War Academy
Caldari State
#226 - 2015-03-03 17:14:02 UTC
the sargent wrote:
Cheyennes wrote:
the sargent wrote:
It's funny, everyone tells CCP they want a occupancy based SOV system. When CCP comes up with a system that takes the basic concept of "occupancy" and uses it as a mechanic everyone start whining about how it will ruin everything. Seriously guys calm down if it doesn't work out guess what? it will be fixed in a couple of months because of the shorter release schedule. Give the system a chance first before going "IT'S THE END!"

I mean seriously every time CCP changes something to do will null sec its "the end of null sec as we know it," and yes that is true but just because it's the end of one system doesn't mean the new system is going to be complete trash.

Damn, sorry for the minor wall of text.

Says the guy with no 0.0 history in his employment history.

You're right I don't have any 0.0 employment history. Didn't feel like joining one of the big power blocs and small independent corps can't exist in 0.0 space. With some adjusting this system could actually allow smaller groups to effectively claim SOV somewhere and keep it. Is what CCP proposing perfect probably not.

However, for the first time I'm actually considering 0.0 space as a viable place i would want to go to and live in for an extended period of time, and isn't that the point of all this. To get more people to want to fly out to 0.0 space?

How can you comment about it if you haven't experienced it? If you do not understand it in its current form, then quite frankly you have no clue about the ramifications that will even more, negatively affect the little guy
SilentAsTheGrave
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#227 - 2015-03-03 17:14:21 UTC
Tiberian Deci wrote:
Will notifications go out like they do now? Will the entire alliance get a mail that something of theirs is under attack so they can dispatch a fleet to go defend it? Or will it get RF'd and then we get notifications about RF status and the like?

This is a good question. If notifications continue to go out the moment someone invades/attacks another groups sov it will undermine this new system.
LT Alter
Ryba.
White Squall.
#228 - 2015-03-03 17:14:49 UTC
With the nerf to capital ship usage cycle time, would I be able to enter triage in my carrier while I used the entosis link?
Mirrell Tapaa
Silent but Violent
#229 - 2015-03-03 17:15:01 UTC
Timers like this in DUST failed, what makes you think they will work in eve...

Also came expecting to find out how planet sov will play a part and left disappointed.
Godfrey Silvarna
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#230 - 2015-03-03 17:15:06 UTC
Tia Aves wrote:
Only thing i'm not sure on is the 4 hour window, but I have no suggestions on how I would change it at this moment in time.

Agreed. It sounds fair, since timezones are an ever-present complicating factor in international multiplayer games, but on the other hand... Not being allowed to interact with the structures of other players for 20 hours any given day is more than a little awkward.

As an upside, you can check the map for areas where the locals are likely to be ready to defend their territory at your scheduled roaming hour.
Gorski Car
#231 - 2015-03-03 17:15:39 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
I support this.

I agree...

Collect this post

MiliasColds
Strategic Incompetence
Blue Sun Interstellar Technologies
#232 - 2015-03-03 17:15:40 UTC
YanniMorePlz wrote:
Just a slight 'concern' that I felt might be worth pointing out. I will quote from the blog:

Quote:
The occupancy defense bonuses for all of these structures lock while they are reinforced and will not be affected by changes in indices over the two days of reinforcement.

Much like defensive SBUing, I feel there is potential for a defender to use an alt/spy to intentionally reinforce in order to freeze the index of a system in order to retain it's defensive bonuses. One might do this if let's say, renters have recently fled the area, and the defender does not want to lose their bonuses while being unable or unwilling to invest time to grind them back up.

A easy solution would be to have the index drop after the "lock" period from any inactivity that occurred during the lock.

Just something worth bringing up, it's small and I don't think it impacts anything in a major way. Overall great blog!

my interpretation would be it would lock for the cature event, but the indices still degrade (the bonus doesn't)
however if the defender wins that capture event then the next time it is reinforced it would take into account the degraded indices
Princess Cherista
Doomheim
#233 - 2015-03-03 17:15:46 UTC
LOL @ groups who just spent years and trillions of isk to build a supercap fleet, that job will be done by interceptors now Smile
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#234 - 2015-03-03 17:16:22 UTC
Tiberian Deci wrote:
GOB the Magician wrote:
Still little reason to actually live in the sov. Perhaps update #37 will address this.

I can think of several:

You enjoy living there
You enjoy living with the people there you live with
You enjoy fighting your neighbors nearby

And the most important one of all - epeen.
Proton Stars
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#235 - 2015-03-03 17:17:14 UTC
Princess Cherista wrote:
LOL @ groups who just spent years and trillions of isk to build a supercap fleet, that job will be done by interceptors now Smile

You'll have to lol a bit louder as im sure many of them willl leave the game and cant hear you from whichever game they are now playing.
MiliasColds
Strategic Incompetence
Blue Sun Interstellar Technologies
#236 - 2015-03-03 17:17:36 UTC
Godfrey Silvarna wrote:
Tia Aves wrote:
Only thing i'm not sure on is the 4 hour window, but I have no suggestions on how I would change it at this moment in time.

Agreed. It sounds fair, since timezones are an ever-present complicating factor in international multiplayer games, but on the other hand... Not being allowed to interact with the structures of other players for 20 hours any given day is more than a little awkward.

As an upside, you can check the map for areas where the locals are likely to be ready to defend their territory at your scheduled roaming hour.

i would suppose that the intent is that off time zone you attack other things to make the indices go down, and things, to make the system easier to cap in the 4 hour window (which is infinite if the defender is stalemated)
Alexei Stryker
Council of Stellar Erections
#237 - 2015-03-03 17:18:12 UTC
I think ... Its a bit too complicated... I have to read it 2 times to understand the rules
W Sherman Elric
Argentum Holdings
#238 - 2015-03-03 17:18:26 UTC
interesting the more I think on it the more curious I am, how is this going to mess with the rental empires? should break them up nicely. But that just leaves empty space need more low sec connections to null regions. Such as branch and period basis for example.
Xenuria
#239 - 2015-03-03 17:18:33 UTC
Literally Space Moses wrote:
You made sov harder to hold (good) but didn't give any additional incentive to actually hold it (very bad),

Seriously, you keep giving nullsec the stick, when is the carrot going to come?

Let me break this down for you.

The Stick is the fee you paid the CFC recruitment officer.

The Carrot is....

There never was a carrot.
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#240 - 2015-03-03 17:19:21 UTC
Are the benefits of CSAA's as well as JB and Cyno upgrades going to be restricted to the owner of the ihub? Will there still be a restriction of a single ihub per system?