These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Download-on-Demand Is Coming To Singularity!

First post First post
Author
Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Doomheim
#81 - 2015-02-27 09:09:33 UTC
Greybuilt wrote:
Would you mind elaborating whether this feature will be optional in its final version?
As some folks have stated, we don't want to be bogged down when multiboxing and all of our clients have to fetch data at the same time, let alone try to access files that are at different stages of download.

May I suggest making this feature optional or at least giving us an option to download everything before starting, just like we do now?

There already is an option to download everything when updating, and installing.
Bones Outten
Council of Economic Advisors
Bitter Vets n Noobs
#82 - 2015-02-27 10:24:50 UTC
New launcher updated, but when I get the pre-release beta warning & click ok the launcher hangs (Launcher.exe is not responding). Have run the repair, still hangs. If I click no to the pre-release beta, the launcher will not update the client & will not start Eve. Bypassing the launcher: Client doesn't match, cannot start Eve.

Bones
Mintoko
Taedium In Perpetuam
#83 - 2015-02-27 11:11:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Mintoko
Sarmatiko wrote:
Workaround that worked for me:

Before starting DoD Singularity launcher at the first time, I've created registry key with directory path of my choice:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CCP\EVEONLINE]
"CACHEFOLDER"="C:\\EVECache\\"

Then I just started Sisi, answered "Yes" and my folder now filling with cache files without downloading.

UPD: after conversion, Sisi updated with 450 Mb patch. But after that I've checked "Download all resource files" in launcher and now it downloads 8Gb anyway, completely ignoring previously created files What?

It seems to be checking the existing files before downloading. It appeared that it was downloading another 8GB+, but speeds through some of it as if it was already there.

*** I take that back.... my Resource directory is now 21.5GB.

However......this could be the current Tranquility files plus those of the latest Singularity.
Hell, I don't know.... I'm going to bed.
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#84 - 2015-02-27 11:34:47 UTC
Udonor wrote:
Hmmm. The default location does not look like a Singularity specific location.

So I assume CCP is heavily counting on making other default arrangements before Tranquility gets this feature. Otherwise I would think there would be some issues with Tranquility and Singularity clients sharing a location...same file name but intended to be different versions.

Note that our developers usually have three or more versions of the client installed on their workstations at any given time. If there are bugs related to this, we're likely to find and fix them quickly.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Worrff
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#85 - 2015-02-27 12:10:42 UTC
Worrff wrote:
I currently have two separate installs of the EVE client on my PC, so that when a patch fails and corrupts the install so badly, repair won't work (happened more than once), I can just copy the entire EVE directory from the uncorrupted version. I just download large patches once and import into the 2nd client. I don’t use links for this reason.

Also, I would rather have the resources on my PC for immediate access by the client, rather than having to download anything while in a 2000 player fleet fight. TIDI makes that slow enough already.

So, I want to retain the separate full client install and not implement the DoD system.

From other comments, if you choose not to prime the Cache, it downloads a cache anyway which seems to force you into the DoD system. If you choose this option, should it not just run under the old non DoD system, or at least provide the facility for users to still run the non-DoD system, for those of us that prefer the full client install.

CCP...please provide an answer this query

CCP Philosophy: If it works, break it. If it’s broken, leave it alone and break something else.

Rakshasa Taisab
Sane Industries Inc.
#86 - 2015-02-27 12:15:53 UTC
CCP Darwin wrote:
Note that our developers usually have three or more versions of the client installed on their workstations at any given time. If there are bugs related to this, we're likely to find and fix them quickly.

So would I be correct in guessing that the resources are versioned and independent of the client version used (TQ/SISI/etc), and that multiple clients coordinate downloads using file-based locking?

Nyan

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#87 - 2015-02-27 12:41:47 UTC
Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:

So would I be correct in guessing that the resources are versioned and independent of the client version used (TQ/SISI/etc), and that multiple clients coordinate downloads using file-based locking?

Yes.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#88 - 2015-02-27 12:55:13 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:

Yes.

so your saying we should have our sisi shared files folder be the same as the tranquility shared files folder once its out on tq
Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#89 - 2015-02-27 13:01:49 UTC
btw why is my sisi screen black after i logged in it already finished acquiring bulk files, now its just black screen with the loading circle top left corner for like 20 minutes
Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Doomheim
#90 - 2015-02-27 13:05:05 UTC
Daniel Jackson wrote:
btw why is my sisi screen black after i logged in it already finished acquiring bulk files, now its just black screen with the loading circle top left corner for like 20 minutes

It's downloading things.

In the launcher settings you might want to tick 'Download all Resource Files,' restart the launcher, and allow it to update.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#91 - 2015-02-27 13:13:58 UTC
Daniel Jackson wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:

Yes.

so your saying we should have our sisi shared files folder be the same as the tranquility shared files folder once its out on tq

Yes again!

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#92 - 2015-02-27 13:15:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Jackson
Ferni Ka'Nviiou wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

It's downloading things.

In the launcher settings you might want to tick 'Download all Resource Files,' restart the launcher, and allow it to update.

i let it sit for about 30min and i now see the character selection screen :P

but it looks like this
http://i.imgur.com/Xdpwf5F.png

lol my other 2 character dont even show and for some reason it shows the biomass counter above my main o.O

ok i just pressed esc then quit then i clicked play on the launcher again and it loaded correctly that time
dhunpael
#93 - 2015-02-27 13:44:34 UTC

1. Extracting the shared cache makes my pc extremely slow when trying to play other games installed on the same hard disk.
  2. (playing League of legends because of the downtime on the testserver).

3. The loading when first entering the game is irritating.
  4. Download it before you can start your client. It's no fun to watch downloads two times in a row.

Rakshasa Taisab
Sane Industries Inc.
#94 - 2015-02-27 13:53:57 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:

Yes.

Yes again!

Let's see if we can get a yes-pyramid going...

What happens if the lock-holding client crashes and another client is waiting for the resource (or restarting after crash), does it periodically check if the lock-holding client is still running and is something more than just the PID being used for such checks?

And will it be able to differentiate clients on different hosts when using e.g. NAS or VM's, where PID collisions can happen.

Nyan

Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#95 - 2015-02-27 13:54:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Jackson
dhunpael wrote:

1. Extracting the shared cache makes my pc extremely slow when trying to play other games installed on the same hard disk.
  2. (playing League of legends because of the downtime on the testserver).

3. The loading when first entering the game is irritating.
  4. Download it before you can start your client. It's no fun to watch downloads two times in a row.

im sure they are still tinkering with it, it probably won't be like that on release
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#96 - 2015-02-27 13:55:17 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Test server
Quote:
You're running a pre-release version of the EVE Launcher. Blah Blah, might cause problems. Click OK to continue or Cancel to cancel

Click OK to continue - Then nothing, launcher just sits there with the play button greyed out, no error messages, nothing downloaded, it's just doing nothing.
- - - - - - - - - -
I have a separate install for DoD (until recently was working fine), which now calls itself - Server: Duality (VIP MODE) and says - Downloading updates to res cache (188.06 MB/188.06 MB) 100%.
Then it just stalls and well nothing is happening.

I guess a ticket to support and wait a few more weeks for an answer is my best option.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#97 - 2015-02-27 14:23:36 UTC
Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:

Yes.

Yes again!

Let's see if we can get a yes-pyramid going...

What happens if the lock-holding client crashes and another client is waiting for the resource (or restarting after crash), does it periodically check if the lock-holding client is still running and is something more than just the PID being used for such checks?

And will it be able to differentiate clients on different hosts when using e.g. NAS or VM's, where PID collisions can happen.

Well, the client isn't really holding any file locks.

When a file is requested - let's take 'res:/ui/texture/windowicons/wars.png' as an example, we first look it up in an index and find that it maps to 6e/6ea5261768d2ed4a_98435ff56ca3a989e403c244de8c3af2. This file name encodes the original name and a checksum of the contents of the file, so different versions of any file get different file names.

The shared cache is then checked to see if this encoded file name exists. If it does, that file is loaded and we're done.

If it doesn't exist, this file is requested from our CDN and downloaded on a background thread. The file is downloaded in memory - when it has finished it is saved to a temporary file. Once the save is finished, the file is renamed to the final name in the shared cache.

If two (or more) clients request the same file at the same time, they may find that the file does not exist in the cache. In this edge case, both (or all) clients will download the same file. They will save it out to their temp files and both (or all) will attempt to rename that file to the final name. Only the first one to do the rename will succeed - the other's will fail. That's OK, though - the only reason it can fail is because the file already exists, and it can only exist because another client successfully downloaded and saved the file.

So, for this rare edge case, the only harm is the fact that some file got downloaded more than once.

Makari Aeron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#98 - 2015-02-27 14:28:21 UTC
So... "DoD Sappin' My Bandwidth!" *Waves engineer wrench wildly"

CCP RedDawn: Ugly people are just playing life on HARD mode. Personally, I'm playing on an INFERNO difficulty.

CCP Goliath: I often believe that the best way to get something done is to shout at the person trying to help you. http://goo.gl/PKGDP

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#99 - 2015-02-27 14:34:34 UTC
Makari Aeron wrote:
So... "DoD Sappin' My Bandwidth!" *Waves engineer wrench wildly"

You always have the option of downloading everything before you start your client. That's what it does today - it's called patching. We're just giving you more options - the option to start playing before the client is fully patched.

Wadiest Yong
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#100 - 2015-02-27 14:34:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Wadiest Yong
Spent more than a few hours on this. It's not working for an iota.

1) old Sisi client didn't update properly, so ...
2) deleted old client, and the new c:\programdata\ccp folder that holds the res_temp and resfiles folders
3) created a fresh copy of the TQ client on a different drive\folder, plus the redirected bookmark to Singularity as usual
4) when launching (as admin) the new eve.exe /server:Singularity bm the launcher updates itself, then disappears...
5) relaunched the launcher: it starts to extract the bulk of the files from the sisi folder to the new \programdata\ccp folders
6) launcher starts patching, and after applying the patch it signals "downloading to res cache"
7) stops at 10.75MB of 529.71MB (15%)

every time.

Suggestions ?

UPDATE: more observations:
1) difference in behavior when trying to update as user and as admin (via "run as administrator" in r-click menu), although this pc only has one user who is the administrator.
2) somehow I managed to force my way through the patch/res download, by relaunching as admin many times. Every time it would download a few MB and stall. Eventually the launcher signaled "Client ready"
3) the game itself loaded with the normal startup visuals (logging in, fetching data etc) but then went black
4) a cold reboot of the pc solved that and I was able to log into the game
5) firewall resignaled for allowing access by ccp (never did that before...)

I think there are a few security setting issues with the new DoD client, that are different than the settings used on the TQ (old) client.

(win7 ultimate; 4770K quad; etc)