These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proteus] Reduction in Fighter and Fighter Bomber scan resolution

First post First post First post
Author
Johnson Masters
MOSCOW UNEMPLOYMENT CENTER
#501 - 2015-01-10 23:40:33 UTC
Hi iam an ecm drone, iam so happy iam not affected by this change with my 20 second cylce time ))))
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#502 - 2015-01-11 00:15:32 UTC
killerkeano wrote:
I'll now use this exploit openly on ishtar and for sentries on a carrier, maybe even for ecm drones too, because if it was an exploit CCP would have fixed it.

Amazing. Ishtars and carriers online

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Panther X
Destructive Influence
Northern Coalition.
#503 - 2015-01-12 16:58:11 UTC
wow are we still bitching about this?

It's going through whether we like it or not. If it remains a permanent change until they have some money to fix the code or care enough to do anything about it is beyond me.

Nothing to see here, move along. Move along.

My Titan smells of rich Corinthian Leather...

Pompus Magnus
ElitistOps
Deepwater Hooligans
#504 - 2015-01-12 22:51:18 UTC
good changes
HypoReal Banker
Rindswurst Best Wurst
#505 - 2015-01-13 13:19:11 UTC
I was totally mad when i read about the changes here and after i logged in today it changed to pure frustration resulting in 2 super sales. But i guess its what you want.
You had a bug and instead of a proper fix you just changed some numbers. Maybe some days of work switched to 10 min MAX - i understand that...
I mean, when i got it right you had the problem that if you scoop/relaunch the drones you reset the "rate of fire" timer and a drone that needs X-time for the next shot instantly shoots again. Works only in special situations, but could work.
So, if thats the problem, why you dont change it this way:

If a drone ( EVERY DRONE) shoots on a target, the timer continous even if you scoop them into the ship. So scooping them just protects them from dmg but doesnt change anything else. Like it should be ?!

Some of the changes you CCP guys make are looking so poor to me - from my unimportant point of view - that i already consider to quit the game.

I understand that eve has to change over the time, its a healthy thing. But pls, take your time for the changes and dont fix a bug/exploit with a small easy adjustment that has a unbelievable huge impact of 1000 other things.

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#506 - 2015-01-13 14:05:43 UTC
HypoReal Banker wrote:
I was totally mad when i read about the changes here and after i logged in today it changed to pure frustration resulting in 2 super sales. But i guess its what you want.
You had a bug and instead of a proper fix you just changed some numbers. Maybe some days of work switched to 10 min MAX - i understand that...
I mean, when i got it right you had the problem that if you scoop/relaunch the drones you reset the "rate of fire" timer and a drone that needs X-time for the next shot instantly shoots again. Works only in special situations, but could work.
So, if thats the problem, why you dont change it this way:

If a drone ( EVERY DRONE) shoots on a target, the timer continous even if you scoop them into the ship. So scooping them just protects them from dmg but doesnt change anything else. Like it should be ?!

Some of the changes you CCP guys make are looking so poor to me - from my unimportant point of view - that i already consider to quit the game.

I understand that eve has to change over the time, its a healthy thing. But pls, take your time for the changes and dont fix a bug/exploit with a small easy adjustment that has a unbelievable huge impact of 1000 other things.

So what exactly is your complaint? You weren't clear on that part, other than making it clear uhasmad.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Paulo Selegato
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#507 - 2015-01-13 17:53:26 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Hey everyone. Hope you've all had a great holiday season. Most of us are back at the office now, and we're putting the final preparations in place for the Proteus release next week.

One of the tweaks we are making in Proteus is to the scan resolution of Fighters and Fighter Bombers, both of which are being reduced quite significantly.

The primary goal of this change is to ensure that rapidly scooping and relaunching fighters and fighter bombers never gives a dps advantage. This practice has not been widespread thus far, but any possible advantage gained this way would both provide imbalanced DPS and cause significant server load so we want to nip it in the bud.

The changes will also have the effect of delaying the initial alpha strike of fighters and fighter bombers, especially against subcaps. Although it is not the primary purpose of the change we are not displeased by this effect, and we do not believe that it will make fighters or fighter bombers underpowered.

I know that some people who are hoping for a major nerf to assigned fighters will be unhappy that this change will only have a small-moderate effect on that activity. We have been keeping a close eye on the way fighters are used ever since our recent rounds of drone rebalancing and we aren't ruling out any potential future changes at this time. However we are not going to rush into any larger changes to fighter mechanics.

The new numbers are:
Type - Old Scan Res – New Scan Res
Dragonfly - 200 - 100
Einherji - 350 - 175
Firbolg - 250 - 125
Templar - 300 - 150
Cyclops – 250 - 27
Malleus - 300 - 29
Mantis - 200 - 25
Shadow – 225 - 30
Tyrfing - 350 - 31

Thanks everyone, and happy New Year!

This type of measure summarizes why people keep quitting EVE Online
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#508 - 2015-01-13 18:14:36 UTC
Paulo Selegato wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Hey everyone. Hope you've all had a great holiday season. Most of us are back at the office now, and we're putting the final preparations in place for the Proteus release next week.

One of the tweaks we are making in Proteus is to the scan resolution of Fighters and Fighter Bombers, both of which are being reduced quite significantly.

The primary goal of this change is to ensure that rapidly scooping and relaunching fighters and fighter bombers never gives a dps advantage. This practice has not been widespread thus far, but any possible advantage gained this way would both provide imbalanced DPS and cause significant server load so we want to nip it in the bud.

The changes will also have the effect of delaying the initial alpha strike of fighters and fighter bombers, especially against subcaps. Although it is not the primary purpose of the change we are not displeased by this effect, and we do not believe that it will make fighters or fighter bombers underpowered.

I know that some people who are hoping for a major nerf to assigned fighters will be unhappy that this change will only have a small-moderate effect on that activity. We have been keeping a close eye on the way fighters are used ever since our recent rounds of drone rebalancing and we aren't ruling out any potential future changes at this time. However we are not going to rush into any larger changes to fighter mechanics.

The new numbers are:
Dragonfly - 200 - 100
Einherji - 350 - 175
Firbolg - 250 - 125
Templar - 300 - 150
Cyclops – 250 - 27
Malleus - 300 - 29
Mantis - 200 - 25
Shadow – 225 - 30
Tyrfing - 350 - 31

This type of response makes people think you either used the exploit or don't really know what you're talking about.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Paulo Selegato
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#509 - 2015-01-13 18:19:38 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Paulo Selegato wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:

The new numbers are:
Dragonfly - 200 - 100
Einherji - 350 - 175
Firbolg - 250 - 125
Templar - 300 - 150
Cyclops – 250 - 27
Malleus - 300 - 29
Mantis - 200 - 25
Shadow – 225 - 30
Tyrfing - 350 - 31

This type of response makes people think you either used the exploit or don't really know what you're talking about.

or they just do what they want, do not ask our opinion before.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#510 - 2015-01-13 19:04:14 UTC
Paulo Selegato wrote:

As creators and caretakers of the game, that is their purview.

However, there is *this* thread for opinions that's been around since Jan 5th. No one has presented a good argument why lowering scan res to fix the exploit is going to break anything.

The best arguments against it are that a better programming solution might be in order (but that would take far more resources han this fix), and "Whaaa - this feels like a nerf!"

Your argument fits in the second category and has been heard.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#511 - 2015-01-13 22:10:09 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Paulo Selegato wrote:

However, there is *this* thread for opinions that's been around since Jan 5th. No one has presented a good argument why lowering scan res to fix the exploit is going to break anything.

The best arguments against it are that a better programming solution might be in order (but that would take far more resources han this fix), and "Whaaa - this feels like a nerf!"

Sorry but if you read the OP, this fixes a supposed "not widely used" exploit while apparently not addressing the major complaint from players - Assigned fighters.

"Whaa - this feels like a nerf" Are you serious? It IS a direct nerf to fighters and bombers.

Best and easiest solution to "fix" drone relaunching as a DPS boost is a simple delay on relaunching the same drones.
This could in fact be used for ALL drones, so the now well advertised "exploit" is not usable by anyone. I would imagine 200 Domis recalling and launching drones will have a far greater impact on server load than a few supers doing it.
Instead, Carrier and Supers receive a nerf to damage application and subcaps have a new way to use drones.

This change has nothing to do with any exploit, it is simply a fabricated excuse to further reduce capital warfare, hence, server load.
If the goal was in fact to fix a "not widespread" exploit, a simple relaunching delay would have been simple and effective.
Disagree with me? Read CCP Nerfs (fozzie) OP.
Is it really an exploit when it is a legitimate game mechanic? As the "exploit" is not being removed, I would guess it is not actually an exploit but an excuse.

Taking this draconian action so soon after the capital drone balance shows clearly - CCP have no idea how their balance changes will affect the game or in this case, server load. It is not about "balance" as much as it is an overall reduction in the power of capitals and a minor reduction in server load.

As for the "better programming is needed" argument - That would fix far more than just the small added server load of a "not widely used" exploit. Multithreading has been around for years, yet Eve has single thread code which requires game play nerfs to keep it working. Instead of all the not widely used pretty effects, why not put those teams to work writing the new code to bring CCP's game into the 21st century.

CCP keeps advertising for more players yet it is made so obviously clear, the servers can't cope with the current population and game play.
Good plan - Nerf game play so we can get more players to sit around for days with no content. At least ship spinning is not too server intensive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
I for one want to be given the option to have capital skills refunded so I can put them into something useful.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Vincintius Agrippa
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#512 - 2015-01-14 06:15:42 UTC
So let me understand this, Fighter are frigate sized, and bombers are destroyer sized, with accompanying ehp, and mwd speed. So why shouldnt they have scan res that matches there ship size? From a point of reference alone this is ********. Fighter and bombers have the scan res of battleships and dreadnoughts now. I don't ever recall someone using supers to kill frigs and cruisers ever being a problem, not that they could lock these smaller ships in time to do any damage. If your webbed and scrammed, whether or not someone assigns drones or targets you themselves, you would die in any situation. Who would drop a carrier to kill a single cruiser or frig? Either 1, a troll, or 2, someone who wants to lose that carrier. Battleships should take full damage from fighters and bombers. They are large enough and slow enough.

Also, I was under the impression that in drone and fighter warfare one recalls drones to prevent them from being destroyed. When they are redeployed your drones shields are recharged (like docking and un-docking) and your enemy is forced to re-target them.

Its a tactic.

This has not been, or will ever be a problem or a game breaker.

It is simply another scapegoat for ccp to avoid server lag [Gee, server lag with 500-1000+ people trying to kill each other at the same time in a confined space, whoda thunk?], just like nerfing HM's, HAMs, and more recently LM's into the dirt.
Only YOU can prevent internet bullying!
Vincintius Agrippa
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#513 - 2015-01-14 06:41:01 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Paulo Selegato wrote:

Sorry but if you read the OP, this fixes a supposed "not widely used" exploit while apparently not addressing the major complaint from players - Assigned fighters.

"Whaa - this feels like a nerf" Are you serious? It IS a direct nerf to fighters and bombers.

Best and easiest solution to "fix" drone relaunching as a DPS boost is a simple delay on relaunching the same drones.
This could in fact be used for ALL drones, so the now well advertised "exploit" is not usable by anyone. I would imagine 200 Domis recalling and launching drones will have a far greater impact on server load than a few supers doing it.
Instead, Carrier and Supers receive a nerf to damage application and subcaps have a new way to use drones.

This change has nothing to do with any exploit, it is simply a fabricated excuse to further reduce capital warfare, hence, server load.
If the goal was in fact to fix a "not widespread" exploit, a simple relaunching delay would have been simple and effective.
Disagree with me? Read CCP Nerfs (fozzie) OP.
Is it really an exploit when it is a legitimate game mechanic? As the "exploit" is not being removed, I would guess it is not actually an exploit but an excuse.

Taking this draconian action so soon after the capital drone balance shows clearly - CCP have no idea how their balance changes will affect the game or in this case, server load. It is not about "balance" as much as it is an overall reduction in the power of capitals and a minor reduction in server load.

As for the "better programming is needed" argument - That would fix far more than just the small added server load of a "not widely used" exploit. Multithreading has been around for years, yet Eve has single thread code which requires game play nerfs to keep it working. Instead of all the not widely used pretty effects, why not put those teams to work writing the new code to bring CCP's game into the 21st century.

CCP keeps advertising for more players yet it is made so obviously clear, the servers can't cope with the current population and game play.
Good plan - Nerf game play so we can get more players to sit around for days with no content. At least ship spinning is not too server intensive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
I for one want to be given the option to have capital skills refunded so I can put them into something useful.

I don't know what ccp will do over the next 5 years. They can't keep building on the same 10+ year code. Its really old. Eventually they will run into a problem they will not be able to fix. Most of the purpose of eves code has been lost. They don't know. Which is why it is so hard for them to implement improvements or even little simple things. They have to keep nerfing and balancing" to keep the game from falling apart. CCP THEMSELVES have admitted that they cant tell what something around 80+% of their legacy code does. There are part of eve they they dont even know how it works. They never documented anything. I once read in a ccp post that they had to make a new ship type for the ships with new paint schemes as they couldn't simply upgrade existing ships. He said that the code wouldn't allow it..... Getting back on topic, They really need to redo the code on a separate server. They could even implement player base assistance. We could report problem and help in the debug process. Its not going to be easy, and it'll take a few years maybe. It is a wonderful game, but it could be so much more. You want to increase player base we need more content, not monthly patches. We need a richer universe than the one we have now, and eve is quite big. Take a lesson from Microsoft and how they handle windows versions (except vista). Philosophically that is; Build a well documented base code that can be easily debugged, built upon, and integrated seamlessly with future modifications. Take advantage of new technology! Go EvE 2.0.
Only YOU can prevent internet bullying!
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#514 - 2015-01-14 14:54:14 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

What part of capital warfare create more server load than subcap? This stupid argument of yours is nothing more than crying because you don't understand why the change was made and what it's target was.

As for your skillpoint in capital being refunded, I think the saying goes HTFU.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#515 - 2015-01-14 21:53:32 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

What part of capital warfare create more server load than subcap? This stupid argument of yours is nothing more than crying because you don't understand why the change was made and what it's target was.

Sorry Frosty, didn't realize it was time for the trolls to come out and put in their 2 cents worth.
It would seem you don't understand how server load works.
You might want to try reading the OP in regard server load.
You might want to talk to anyone who has played the game for more than a few weeks who has a little coding experience.
You might want to use a little common sense, hard for some I know but given the benefit of doubt.......

I understand perfectly what its target was - I also understand there was a better way to achieve the goal without a direct nerf.
Fozzie has already laid the ground work for the next capital drone nerf - Assigning fighters.

The simple fact the OP states it is not addressing the major complaint of players says it all. One nerf to lead the way for the next.

Skill point refund would be a good will gesture on CCP's part. Many capital pilots would not take it but those who don't have time or just don't want, to play Eve in slow motion, should have the option to put skill points into something else.

Frosty, ask yourself 1 question - Which would create more server load, one Domi or Ishtar with 5 drones or a Carrier with 10?

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#516 - 2015-01-14 22:17:59 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Sorry Frosty, didn't realize it was time for the trolls to come out and put in their 2 cents worth.
It would seem you don't understand how server load works.
You might want to try reading the OP in regard server load.
You might want to talk to anyone who has played the game for more than a few weeks who has a little coding experience.
You might want to use a little common sense, hard for some I know but given the benefit of doubt.......

I understand perfectly what its target was - I also understand there was a better way to achieve the goal without a direct nerf.
Fozzie has already laid the ground work for the next capital drone nerf - Assigning fighters.

The simple fact the OP states it is not addressing the major complaint of players says it all. One nerf to lead the way for the next.

Skill point refund would be a good will gesture on CCP's part. Many capital pilots would not take it but those who don't have time or just don't want, to play Eve in slow motion, should have the option to put skill points into something else.

Frosty, ask yourself 1 question - Which would create more server load, one Domi or Ishtar with 5 drones or a Carrier with 10?

1- More server load is generated by 600 domi with 5 drones each than by 200 carrier with 10 dornes each.

2- In regard to the OP, the server load Fozzie wanted to kill was the one created when people were abusing the cycle reset on drones. Not the one from just spamming drones. The load caused by people wanting to reset their cycle on their fighter/bombers will be gone as it is no longer valuable to do so. Wanting to eliminate "some" server load does not mean you want to eliminate all server load with the same change.

3- Everybody who has coding experience will tell you they would not rewrite a large part of an app when a few data change can fix the targetted issue. The issue YOU want CCP to fix at the same time cannot be fixed the same way but it was not the target to begin with.

4- Common sense is something you should use to understand CCP was not trying to fix what you think they were. If you don't get the idea of what they wanted to fix, you will always make bad assumption to what the good solution should be.

5- If capitals are eating nerfs, it's most likely because CCP think they are in an imbalanced states. They will then eat nerfs like every other ships in the game, their user will be mad about it just like every other nerfed ship user and EVE will keep on trucking. If you can't stop taking for granted the power your capital ship currently has, every nerf will make you unhappy and you might as well stop playing MMO because everything always gets buffed/nerfed in those games. It's the way they are.

6- CCP said they want to gather more data on fighter assist. If they will nerf it or not is their choice based on how they think their game should be played. We can give feedback all we want about it but at the end of the day, they hold the strings and it's their decision.

7- The skillpoint getting reimbursed would mostly set a precedent they will never want to accept setting. While it would be a "good gesture" in view of how much the capital ships are changing over the last few and most likely also the next few release, it will just not happen.

8- Cap fleet are smaller than subcap fleet. Their drone numbers being bigger on a per ship ratio does nto mean the server eat more total load based on them. Ass noted in point 2, Fozzie didn't want to reduce all possible load coming from drones. Spamming drones can still cause stupid high load but this is something they don't seem to be ready to tackle yet or just unwilling.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#517 - 2015-01-15 17:38:29 UTC
Panther X wrote:

It's going through whether we like it or not. If it remains a permanent change until they have some money to fix the code or care enough to do anything about it is beyond me.

Pretty much.

Anyone have a link to a capital fight since the jump range nerf?

Beating a dead horse is beating a dead horse. Or in the case of Super capitals, dead whale.
Paynus Maiassus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#518 - 2015-01-15 20:47:15 UTC
Skydell wrote:
Panther X wrote:

Pretty much.

Anyone have a link to a capital fight since the jump range nerf?

Beating a dead horse is beating a dead horse. Or in the case of Super capitals, dead whale.

The load of Titans PL dropped into HED-GP?

The tons of POS bashing in Catch?

The use of suicide dreads in the SBU war between HERO and PL?

The actual use of triage Archons as triage carriers were really properly intended to be used (imagine that!) to rep TFIs in the last HED-GP fight.

Those are just a few mentions of a couple of cap uses since Phoebe.

The objections on this thread have been some of the dumbest I've seen in a while.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#519 - 2015-01-15 23:53:18 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:

1- More server load is generated by 600 domi with 5 drones each than by 200 carrier with 10 dornes each.

2- In regard to the OP, the server load Fozzie wanted to kill was the one created when people were abusing the cycle reset on drones. Not the one from just spamming drones. The load caused by people wanting to reset their cycle on their fighter/bombers will be gone as it is no longer valuable to do so. Wanting to eliminate "some" server load does not mean you want to eliminate all server load with the same change.

3- Everybody who has coding experience will tell you they would not rewrite a large part of an app when a few data change can fix the targetted issue. The issue YOU want CCP to fix at the same time cannot be fixed the same way but it was not the target to begin with.

4- Common sense is something you should use to understand CCP was not trying to fix what you think they were. If you don't get the idea of what they wanted to fix, you will always make bad assumption to what the good solution should be.

5- If capitals are eating nerfs, it's most likely because CCP think they are in an imbalanced states. They will then eat nerfs like every other ships in the game, their user will be mad about it just like every other nerfed ship user and EVE will keep on trucking. If you can't stop taking for granted the power your capital ship currently has, every nerf will make you unhappy and you might as well stop playing MMO because everything always gets buffed/nerfed in those games. It's the way they are.

6- CCP said they want to gather more data on fighter assist. If they will nerf it or not is their choice based on how they think their game should be played. We can give feedback all we want about it but at the end of the day, they hold the strings and it's their decision.

7- The skillpoint getting reimbursed would mostly set a precedent they will never want to accept setting. While it would be a "good gesture" in view of how much the capital ships are changing over the last few and most likely also the next few release, it will just not happen.

8- Cap fleet are smaller than subcap fleet. Their drone numbers being bigger on a per ship ratio does nto mean the server eat more total load based on them. Ass noted in point 2, Fozzie didn't want to reduce all possible load coming from drones. Spamming drones can still cause stupid high load but this is something they don't seem to be ready to tackle yet or just unwilling.

As I said.. troll time.
You seem to have; Missed the points I was trying to make or just chosen to misinterpret my post.

In your opinion nerfing the game is preferable to true balance? Living with 20th century code in the 21st century is acceptable? You should get a job with CCP, your obviously as narrow minded and short sighted in your thinking as existing staff.

Nerf and balance are 2 very different things, so far CCP has been unable to achieve much with constant nerfs (except to limit game play and **** off a lot of paying customers), so maybe it is time to work on balance.

If Eve is to make it to its 2nd centenary celebrations, Devs need to step back and look at what is happening to the game. A lot of what is happening is not good, for the game or players. Reducing the ability of players to "play" the game is not good development.

Frosty; I don't know what game you play but it has nothing to do with capital warfare..

My opinions are mine.

snorkle25
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#520 - 2015-01-20 04:12:10 UTC
Reduce the m3 of fighters and fighter bombers as well as the drone bay or carriers and supercarriers respectively.

For example, a carrier has a 80,000m3 drone bay with fighters taking up 5,000m3 each. If fighters took only 50m3 and a carrier was scaled to hold the same max number of fighters (16) then you end up with a 800m3 drone bay. This means carriers can no longer carry near endless numbers of sentries, lights, medium drones,.....players have to choose carefully what drones to and not to carry in their holds and large groups of RR carriers would have to choose their load outs carefully limiting their flexibility and DPS durability/repeatability of launching many many waves of drones.

I propose that the same type change (appropriately scaled) for fighter-bombers and supercarriers.