These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

While we are killing sacred cows, how about nerfing npcs?

First post First post
Author
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#61 - 2014-11-18 07:40:11 UTC
Petrified wrote:
Clearly it would, in his mind, since his statement includes: "nullbears" which do not occur within High Sec. Blink

In his, but not in their's or the more influential and risk-averse null sec CSM members.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#62 - 2014-11-18 07:55:34 UTC
Would love to see such a system. I would bet the sec status of Jita will be down to 0.0 faster than you look and will be taken over in a huge battle. TwistedTwisted Let it come CCP please. Twisted

FYI: Be clear what you wish every trade hub sec status would be "destroyable" through ganking and such things and with enough power you could turn all these.

+1
Ceawlin Cobon-Han
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2014-11-18 08:45:15 UTC
I was led to believe the only security in nulsec was that provided by the incumbent corporations. Now you're discussing having the game take over the security, doubtless enforced by concord?

Next CCP will implement a low-risk method of transporting goods from hisec to null, so the butthurt aren't required to maintain locally the industry necessary to keep their hold over sov space.

Sounding more like WoW every day.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#64 - 2014-11-18 08:47:17 UTC
Ceawlin Cobon-Han wrote:
I was led to believe the only security in nulsec was that provided by the incumbent corporations. Now you're discussing having the game take over the security, doubtless enforced by concord?

Next CCP will implement a low-risk method of transporting goods from hisec to null, so the butthurt aren't required to maintain locally the industry necessary to keep their hold over sov space.

Sounding more like WoW every day.

Well the flip side is that some highsec systems would become lowsec etc.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#65 - 2014-11-18 08:57:01 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
should definitely nerf high sec/low sec incursion income .... maybe nullsec players would populate 0.0 doing money making stuff instead of high sec incursion alts

Low sec incursions are already pretty barren. They are ran on a style that result them collapsing very soon and the total ammount of isk made is MUCH smaller than high sec incursions.

But indeed high sec incursions coudl get some tunning. I would not make it in isk income nerf. But in making the sites a bit more random so peopel would at least pay attention to complete them. Would also introduce the need of specialized ships and activities (for example, to finish this one you need to hack 2 different structures at rougly same time about 100 km from each other. THat would make much harder to multibox a whole incursion fleet.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#66 - 2014-11-18 09:51:56 UTC
Leyete Wulf wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Be careful what you ask for.
If you want dynamic security space, fine. Then where lots of pirates or anomolies are run the sec would climb as law asserted itself. Null constellations could (with effort) slowly become hisec. Nullbears would become nomadic as the fields they tilled slowly became barren as the pirates moved on and Concord moved in.

As long as super low activity systems slowly tanked their way into low and null sec space I'd totally be game for this. Can you imagine high sec industry having to recalculate best routes around systems which fell out of high sec? Or, paying people to maintain an elevated sec status in a low sec base system in order to keep a route open?

You might not have to; as highsec systems dropped to lower security, payouts increase, so mission runners would move there for the higher payouts. What I can see happening, is missioners spreading out until there are no more systems on main pipes that are under 0.7, and code screaming and crying their way into obscurity.
Elyas Crux
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2014-11-18 11:59:12 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
A changing map would mean paying attention to 'road conditions' for haulers.

It would mean that industry might have to move as the security of the area changed (this happens in cities IRL)

It would make Blue donuts obsolete.

But oh, so many questions would need answering. What would happen to a supercap that suddenly found itself in a hisec system as the ground changed beneath its feet? Would owned stations suddenly shift to npc as the sov shifted to Concord? What activities would make the sov change and could an organized group use that to play a terrain type of warfare where they altered the enemies security space.

What makes Null NULL aside from a label on a map? What makes Jita hisec? These are question worth asking, not how the rules are now but how the rules could be. But do not try to just cherrypick your 'changing sov' for activities you don't approve of or to make for easier targets.

If mutable sov is something you want represented to CCP then I am your huckleberry but understand I will take it all the way or not at all.

m

This could be implemented more gently if system security status was able to change but was initially locked to the same type of security level. eg. a 0.9 system could be pushed as low as 0.5. This would allow time to see part of the effects variable sec status could have before totally opening the flood gates.

I have always felt like sec status should be variable but I am sure it has unforeseen meta-game consequences and would have to be tuned correctly to the populations of different play-styles.
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2014-11-18 19:37:14 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
But oh, so many questions would need answering. What would happen to a supercap that suddenly found itself in a hisec system as the ground changed beneath its feet? Would owned stations suddenly shift to npc as the sov shifted to Concord? What activities would make the sov change and could an organized group use that to play a terrain type of warfare where they altered the enemies security space.

What makes Null NULL aside from a label on a map? What makes Jita hisec? These are question worth asking, not how the rules are now but how the rules could be. But do not try to just cherrypick your 'changing sov' for activities you don't approve of or to make for easier targets.

If mutable sov is something you want represented to CCP then I am your huckleberry but understand I will take it all the way or not at all.

m

Dynamic security status, IMO, would be awesome. A dynamic EVE is an interesting / enjoyable / exciting EVE. CCP has been doing that well with the recent six-week releases. Dynamic security rating would give pilots very interesting decisions to make - where to rat and mission, what route to move cargo along, where to look for fights... Pilots would also have incentive to visit systems that are rarely utilized under the current setup.

Some thoughts of mine on how it might work:

1) There's more to null / low / high security space than the toughness of the resident rats. There are different mechanics for each type of space - bubbles, SOV, and CONCORD being the big ones. I think it would be good to keep each system in its type of space, so that the mechanics would not suddenly change. But allow variability within that type. An upper rated highsec system would have quick CONCORD response times, yet low quality asteroids and rats. A lower rated highsec system would have slow CONCORD response times but better ISK making opportunities, but would never become low or null.

2) Adjust the range of profitability of the types of space to allow for overlap. Give each null, low and high sec system a rating from 0.00 to 1.00. The ratings would be relative to other systems in EVE in that same type of space. So a 0.5 highsec system won't be as lucrative as a 0.9 lowsec system, but, for example, a 0.1 highsec system will be more lucrative than a 0.9 lowsec system. Make the equivalency rating at 0.8/0.2. That is, a 0.2 highsec system would be equivalent value to a 0.8 lowsec system.

3) Security rating would always be relative - "on a curve." So if every highsec system had the exact same rating, but one slightly lower and another slightly higer, the lower would have 0.0 rating because it's the lowest, the higher would have 1.0 rating because it's the highest, and all the rest would have 0.5 rating.

4a) Activities that would raise the security rating:
NPC kills, minerals mined, PI material harvested, moon material harvested, jump gate usage, market orders, items reprocessed, items manufactured. Basically, all player activities except blowing up ships.

4b) Activities that would lower the security rating:
Player ship/pod kills. (A system's security rating could be artificially lowered through suiciding, but the overall increase to a system's worth would be less than the value of the ship destroyed.)

4c) If a system has no player activity, its security rating would rise or fall based on the other systems' changes. So if there's a lot of farming else where, raising those systems' rating, an unused system will get more lucrative.

5) Things the dynamic rating would change:
Quality and quantity of: asteroids and belts, combat sites, exploration sites, rats, and PI and moon materials. (Higher with lower rating.)
CONCORD response time within highsec. (Slower with lower rating.)
Strength of gate guns and faction police in the systems that have those. (Stronger with lower rating.)
What level of mission can appear. (Higher levels with lower rating.)
Broker taxes. (Lower with lower rating.)
Reprocessing efficiency. (Higher with lower rating.)
Manufacturing efficiency. (Better ME and shorter build times with lower rating.)

Some possible scenarios of how it would play out:

1) Consider a highsec cargo route choke point. As freighters get ganked, the security rating will go down, making ganking even easier. However at the same time, PvE players would drawn to the system because they would be able to make more money in it, and those activities would then raise the security back up. Eventually, a balance would be reached depending on the predominate play style. (And how CCP balances the impact each activity has - it'd be unfortunate if, for example, an hour's worth of mining can counteract a whole day's worth of ganking.)

2) Consider a currently -0.1 NPC nullsec stationless system. There's very little reason for people to go there. But if its 0.9 security rating (under the new system) slowly moves towards 0.0 as time goes on and other systems are farmed, pilots will be drawn to it, creating the opportunity for conflict.

3) Nomadism would become a viable way of EVE life, with groups moving around the map to follow where the money is. Different groups who never otherwise see each other would interact more. SOV entities would likely want to keep their territory but would be incented to move around despite the jump fatigue, meaning more subcap engagements.

4) New-player systems would likely retain their higher security status due to the quantity of players in them, and the relative lack of ship kills (due to CCPs current "no griefing newbies" guideline.) So newbies will remain relatively safe, while being encouraged to move out due to few money-making opportunities. (CCP could also artificially inflate the security rating if they'd like.)

So, just some brainstorming. The above could all be crap and I don't mind of people think it's stupid. Smile
Vodka Kovalevski
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2014-11-18 21:11:24 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
capitals in high sec is bad idea mkay..

no, i wanna drive my phoenix into a station like the gallente dude did with the nyx Pirate
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#70 - 2014-11-18 21:19:11 UTC
Periodically spawning a burner rat in a mining or ice belt would sure be fun.

F
TheMercenaryKing
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#71 - 2014-11-18 21:31:20 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
A changing map would mean paying attention to 'road conditions' for haulers.

It would mean that industry might have to move as the security of the area changed (this happens in cities IRL)

It would make Blue donuts obsolete.

m

High-sec would never drop below the .5 threshold since the are secure areas endorsed by navies and concord.

Low-sec would not change as much since they are owned by navies and recognized by concord. More pirate activities may appear there.

Nullsec would always be below 0 security as they are not claimed or protected by concord or navies. The security adjustments would come from Pirate activities and the player counter pirate activities.

NPC Null would always have a certian minimum level of security as they are PNPC owned and likely recognized as pirate owned systems.
Helios Panala
#72 - 2014-11-18 22:59:05 UTC
High sec systems moving between 1 and .5, low-sec moving between .4 and .1 and null moving between 0.0 and -1.0 would be interesting. Fully free movement from 1 to -1 would probably drive to many people away.