These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Polarized weaponry (affectionately known as glass cannons)

First post First post First post
Author
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#81 - 2014-10-22 14:53:56 UTC
I'll drop a new weapon idea for you that may be a bit more of a viable option.

Overclocked Weapons.

The weapons are based off the t1 base constructed weapons (let's take a heavy neutron blaster tech 1), adds extra parts to it (let's say sleeper salvage (the non nano ribbon stuff)), and overclocks the weapon.

An overclocked weapon does the following

Damage is that of the t1 module as it currently stands. When heated, damage increases to that of a deadspace weapon (this is using t1 ammo). When unheated, goes back into normal t1 weapon damage.

This provides increased burst damage solely when the weapon is heated, uses t1 ammo, and t1 modules, and requires no moongoop to build.

You just run the risk of melting your weapons if you do not manage heat correctly.

More balanced, accessible for both new and old players, uses a commodity that isn't Widely used, bring a new branch of manufacturing for intermediate industrialists, balanced between burst use and long term use, and should not be ridiculously expensive. Uses a mechanic that has been mildly overlooked for a while.

Yaay!!!!

Techno36
Khanid Propulsion Systems
Local Is Primary
#82 - 2014-10-22 14:54:27 UTC
Please do rename the guns from blighted, that does not fit in with eve at all.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#83 - 2014-10-22 14:55:29 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:
Keija Ijonen wrote:
Heavy Neutron Laser? A typo I presume?

Yeah, copy/paste fail. Thanks, corrected it now Blink

now i really want one :(

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#84 - 2014-10-22 14:59:41 UTC
With regards to naming, I've always gotten the feel that the tech and sci-fi in EVE is a bit on the cold, hard side of things. A name may be viable in sci-fi and make people feel like it's "badass" but we're talking about names here and so atmosphere really should come before advertising.

It's difficult to come up with a good name that hasn't been suggested before, but "Destabilized" or "Polarized" (referring to all attack with no defense) or perhaps "Hardwired" to suggest bypassing software limiters for more power.
Skyler Hawk
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#85 - 2014-10-22 15:00:32 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Blight is a word used IRL mostly to describe plant disease, and secondarily as a general description for something that has been spoiled or damaged. What about it gives you such a strong "fantasy RPG" feeling? Is it the Undead Warcraft 3 sprawl thing?

Part of it may come from the use of Blight in the dragon age series. Really, though, I think it's a bit too organic-sounding for a laser cannon; talking about a "diseased" gun would sound pretty odd in most settings, and "blighted" comes off in the same sort of way.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#86 - 2014-10-22 15:01:18 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
I'm asking this only because I'm interested in words generally, and am likewise interested in the strong reaction to "blighted".

(Disclaimer: I have no skin in this name game, am not participating in the discussion that Paradox describes, I have no influence one way or the other over how items are named, and I don't feel strongly one way or the other about "blighted".)

Blight is a word used IRL mostly to describe plant disease, and secondarily as a general description for something that has been spoiled or damaged. What about it gives you such a strong "fantasy RPG" feeling? Is it the Undead Warcraft 3 sprawl thing?

as others already mentioned it is a little out of context for describing a supercharged scifi weapon.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Kadesh Priestess
DEMONS OF THE HIDDEN MIST
TRUTH. HONOUR. LIGHT.
#87 - 2014-10-22 15:03:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Kadesh Priestess
_http://pastebin.com/w4Rj18MX from today's sisi build

Currently these guns do 8-18% more damage than their t2 counterparts. Would be cool if they did much LESS damage than t2, but ignored target's resistances (or ignored portion of these). This would make a step away from logistics abuse (on both sides - glass cannons and their enemies) and will make more sense in stacking raw HP mods rather than resists.

Credit for this idea goes to suitonia.
Setsune Rin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2014-10-22 15:08:40 UTC
+8-18% damage as a tradeoff to having resistances, and there aren't any long range versions

err....what?

what exactly is this supposed to do?
white male privilege
Doomheim
#89 - 2014-10-22 15:11:35 UTC
Who cares what they're called I've been playing this game for almost ten years if they were 220mm spotted **** I'd still fit it to my ship if they were good
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#90 - 2014-10-22 15:14:55 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

EDIT: Missed out on like, half of the Nurgle forces of WH40k, but you get the idea Smile

First comment dude.Big smile
Ama Scelesta
#91 - 2014-10-22 15:15:32 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
I'm asking this only because I'm interested in words generally, and am likewise interested in the strong reaction to "blighted".

(Disclaimer: I have no skin in this name game, am not participating in the discussion that Paradox describes, I have no influence one way or the other over how items are named, and I don't feel strongly one way or the other about "blighted".)

I've not heard the word blight used in the real world other then to describe pest swarms and supernatural/mystical phenomena. Neither of them sound fit for scifi and neither of them describe an attribute of a technological device. You might as well call them cursed if you don't think there is a problem with calling them blighted. What blight mostly describes is corruption and manifestations of evil. You on the other hand are trying to stick the name to a technical device and it feels out of place. It does not help, that it is a word many popular fantasy games have embraced fully and with great justification, since they use it for diseases or evil mystical forces.

A well known scifi alternative example would be "turbo". Star wars had all kinds of lasers, but when it came to massive naval weapons it just wasn't enough, so you had turbo lasers. A simple word that might not be strictly limited to scifi, but more importantly it is hard to imagine hearing it in any fantasy setting, since there is nothing mystical about it and it is strongly associated with describing mechanical devices.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#92 - 2014-10-22 15:15:45 UTC
Setsune Rin wrote:
+8-18% damage as a tradeoff to having resistances, and there aren't any long range versions

err....what?

8-18% bonus to damage for 200-300% more damage taken?-- yeah, I retract my "Vorpal" naming idea and wish to revert back to "Dubious".

They'll be good for shooting POS mods I suppose.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Sochin
Finite Horizon.
#93 - 2014-10-22 15:19:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Sochin
"Blighted" sounds like an enchanted weapon from Skyrim. Please try harder with the sci-fi please.

Edit: Scrolling up it seems everyone already commented on this, but I'm leaving it.
Krell Kroenen
The Devil's Shadow
#94 - 2014-10-22 15:22:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Krell Kroenen
CCP Goliath wrote:

In my own day to day, I can't claim to have heard the word blighted used outside of the realm of fantasy or in biblical terms. To me the word blighted invokes other terms like, cursed, unclean, twisted, unnatural and mutated. Which is a short hop and skip to unholy , undead. And the most common source for something being blighted is by an evil entity or someone performing evil deeds and being tainted by them.

Hmmm maybe the new player made stargates open up in to the warp and let in the chaos gods from Warhammer 40k? Then sure you can have blighted autocannons. *smirks*

Blood for the Blood God anyone? Though I think Slaanesh is more up my alley.

That's my 2 cents on it.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#95 - 2014-10-22 15:22:37 UTC
Ah that's the phrase I was looking for

It sounds organic.
Alundil
Rolled Out
#96 - 2014-10-22 15:32:01 UTC
Agreeing with the overwhelming consensus thus far that 'blighted' does not evoke any sci-fi thoughts, but they're ones of fantasy or agriculture. Not a good fit for the Eve Universe.

I'm right behind you

scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#97 - 2014-10-22 15:40:23 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Setsune Rin wrote:

err....what?

8-18% bonus to damage for 200-300% more damage taken?-- yeah, I retract my "Vorpal" naming idea and wish to revert back to "Dubious".

They'll be good for shooting POS mods I suppose.

I haven't looked at all the stats, I might after class if someone doesn't make them available in a format I can see on my phone. Thusly, anything I say is subject to change and/or retraction when I have seen more data.
With that being said, if the stats are similar across all 3 sizes and the trend of reducing range for higher application also stays the same, it is safe to say that the closest I will come to fitting these would be putting them in my cargohold to sell if I stumble across them. Maybe, maybe I would fit the torps for a pos grind, but only if we have absolute control of everything, with zero resists it would be stupid to do otherwise for such a meager dps increase. I think I would rather fit rapids and enjoy the dubious "fun" of a 35 second reload.

Possibly the blighted torp launcher will shine brighter once fozziebear gets around to "balancing" the rest of the missile launchers.

350125GO
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#98 - 2014-10-22 15:42:53 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

Never played wow, but "blighted" goes back deep in D&D and anything that tried to be, or was inspired by D&D. The blighted thing's been beat to death.

You're young, you'll adjust. I'm old, I'll get used to it.

Slevin-Kelevra
brotherhood of desman
#99 - 2014-10-22 15:44:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Slevin-Kelevra
This is dumb, makes ganking even more op and that's about all.

Edit:
I could get behind long ranged versions of these, there is not enough sniping done in eve, i'm not saying it doesn't exist, but there is not enough.
Kossaw
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#100 - 2014-10-22 15:46:03 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

As you say "Blight" refers to a "disease" - so hence it is a verb applied to anything "living". Applying this to anything non-living (like a gun or a sword) is out of context. And the most common out of context use is in sword and sorcery type fantasy. So you've inadvertently chosen a word that already has a strong connotation of anything BUT sci-fi.

WTB : An image in my signature