These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Long-Distance Travel Changes Inbound

First post First post First post
Author
Terraniel Aurelius
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3481 - 2014-10-02 16:07:49 UTC
I am absolutely in favour of shaking up nullsec. Unfortunately this proposed change does nothing to invalidate B0TLORD or the big blue doughnut. These are player created social contracts that arise from a risk-aversion to losing their SOV.

The reduced jump drive range would result in more predictable avenues of assault from any attacker. The number of spies in any relevant alliance means that the movement of any sizeable force is reported within minutes. Now both sides may start lumbering towards the expected entry system and take days to deploy. Deployments will no longer have the surprise factor that is crucial when a smaller entity is attempting to aggress a larger. You will essentially see the big blue doughnut shrink to the big blue circle, as established alliances simply move to concentrate at choke points. All existing motivations to "leave sov alone" are unaffected, only easier to enforce. Some people have already posted solutions that will allow large alliances to move large forces with nearly the same impunity they do now.

Jump fatigue does nothing to add meaningful or fun gameplay decisions. It merely makes the act of moving a large capital fleet more tiresome and more of a burden. I don't believe that adding more monotony to existing logistics gameplay is a move that will enhance players' experiences. Nearly every industrial player I know is making plans to seriously curtail activity and even considering unsubscribing in view of the extra burden these changes will place on them. For those players that are mostly sub-cap pilots, this change will not affect them directly (unless they participate in a lot of titan-bridging or BlOps), but they will see a degradation of their ability to play as logistics are unable to keep up demand for ships and modules.

Does it suck having carriers and dreads rained down on someone's head when they try to attack a large enemy alliance? Yes it does, but more often we hear of enemy sub-capital fleets forming and making their way towards us, leaving us plenty of time to disengage when a blob is approaching. Now this will only be easier. More stagnation will result. In most major nullsec alliances, having jump cal 5 is nearly a prerequisite for participating in dread battles as lvl 4 is considered inadequate for most engagements. In fact CCP recently changed the skill requirements for all carriers to include Jump Drive Calibration III, suggesting that a minimum carrier jump range of 11.375 lightyears was a necessity. Is this no longer the case? I think we will simply see less capital warfare and more sub-capital warfare as a result. Blobs will still be the apex force. Nothing about these changes affects this fundamental issue. There is no advantage to moving or fighting with less numbers. This change will shift the balance of power in any engagement heavily in favour of the entrenched large coalition defenders, making the taking of sov that much more difficult.

There are some arguments that these changes will bring us back to the glory days of yore. New Eden is fundamentally altered by the addition of jump drives. Reversing the change will not bring back the past. These changes will not create a nullsec made up of tribes. The motivators for nullsec stagnation have not been addressed. These are risk-aversion and the desire to hold massive rental empires for effortless income. There is no real fun way to grind for isk. We do monotonous anomaly ratting, while chatting on comms to stave off the boredom. All to support the chance that we may get a rare good fight sometime. We grind structures and try to generate content. The only thing that keeps people logging in is the odd good fight, and the social atmosphere.

Directors burn out. FC's burn out. CEO's burn out, LogiBros burn out. Why? Monotony. Trying to do the same thing over and over again with no good results. Even with good results, burn out will eventually set in. Making the game slower and more tedious will not help participation levels at all. This will negatively affect subscriber levels of nullsec players, which are already plateaued from what I understand.

If you want the game to recapture the imaginations and ignite the passion of capsuleers combat needs to be faster. More brutal. We need to be able to fake left and hit right. Sov needs to be easier to take, and harder to rent out.

You already have a perfectly viable solution to "force projection". Wormhole jump mechanics. Make the distance spawned from the cyno depend on the mass of the ship, and add in a factor which also increases by the number of ships that have jumped through, as well as the distance jumped .That way a single jump freighter can still land pretty close to undock, but 50 carriers will end up spread 100's of km apart, when jumping maximum range. Like a shotgun blast.

Take away all sov attack notifications. If you're not using the space, you could be losing it, but it shouldn't happen automatically. Make it so that 6 guys in blops could take a back end system somewhere and no one would be the wiser. Give defenders a home system that they can choose and give them defensive bonuses in that single system, so they have a chance to fight to hold on to their little scrap of sov, but not the fields surrounding their castle. The key is to make fighting, and grabbing something unused easier, not harder. Increase the risk and reward of actually having your own slice of sov. Make it so the renters can simply capture their own little system and provide an insufferable amount of defense with their rag tag ships. Let us burn glorious crusades through the stars lose our ships in the dignity and the hellfire of combat, not the decay and rot of sitting in a station unused until subscriptions eventually run out.

Please, for the love of everything beautiful, don't turn this into a game of space Oregon trail.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#3482 - 2014-10-02 16:08:02 UTC
Isha Subula wrote:
Seriously this is not that bad of a change. Logistics will be fine. With the 90% reduction for Rorq and JF pilots an 8 jump trip takes 48 min if you wait out the fatigue timer after each jump. This is ment to penalize a group moving say 10 titans to a system that takes 3 jumps in a hurry. they will then be stuck thee for hours unable to jump out. I like this! Gives us a chance to catch them.

Bravo CCP

How do you catch Titans who refit for cloaks and cloak up ion a safe spot to wait it all out?
May Ke
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#3483 - 2014-10-02 16:08:37 UTC
Just in case CCP are actually reading this:

1. This will [probably] increase gate use in Nullsec.

Most people are put off fights in null due to TiDi. Not even necessarily the TiDi while in the fight, but the TiDi getting there... Imagine 10% TiDi when you have a few caps in your fleet - meaning everyone warps at the same speed as the caps... at 10% TiDi.. Effectively meaning that no-one will ever make it to a fight before it is over. Screw that. Make sure your servers are up to the task of all the extra gate use..

2. Don't nerf BLOPS too hard, PLEASE.

BLOPS are not a major part of the "power projection" problem (although I admit that if they are entirely exempt from these changes, they will become a major part of the problem.. Perhaps a reduced amount of fatigue.)

3. Freighters are already a HUGE pain in the arse, don't make it worse!

JF's don't need to be killed with these changes - NullSec occupants need to be able to move things in and out to some degree, please think very carefully about what you are going to do to them.

4. PODEX doesn't need to be removed.

Maybe a bit of fatigue instead (other people have adressed this point very well elsewhere in the threadnought - CCP had best be reading everything.

5. INCARNA

Just saying.. be careful.

Additionally: The blocs need to be broken up, this is important, but is ultimately down to the leaders of those blocs themselves.

Who? Me?

Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#3484 - 2014-10-02 16:10:11 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

IDK, warp speed rigged cruisers? Gimmick fits tend to be awful in the real world, I'm sure someone will find a counter.

Rigged cruisers? No. Buuut while we are talking about it...

[Moros, Moros fit]

Damage Control II
Capital Inefficient Armor Repair Unit
Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
True Sansha Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
True Sansha Energized Explosive Membrane

Federation Navy Stasis Webifier
Domination Warp Disruptor
Federation Navy Tracking Computer, Tracking Speed Script

Limited Mega Ion Siege Blaster I, Dread Guristas Antimatter Charge XL
Siege Module II

Capital Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Capital Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster II

Not entirely sure if this will work but my dream of roaming dreads just took a big step forwards. Anyway, 1.7 mil EHP, 3au warp speed, a metric fuckton of firepower, half a minute to align (two nano take that down to 22 sec). Frankly if I can get this things align time down to around a battleships I may use it in baltec fleet in an ultimate show of stubbornness. I shall call it monkfish.

CCP Grayscale what have you done?

Just trade out one of the mids for a 100mn MWD. Heat that and you align in 10s.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3485 - 2014-10-02 16:10:43 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Chirality Tisteloin wrote:
Exponential growth of fatigue seems to overdo it.

Better use "logistic growth":

At each jump:

If Fatigue < jumpdistance:
Fatigue = jumpdistance + 1
else :
Fatigue += R*Fatigue*(1-Fatigue/K)

The parameter R controls how fast a character exhausts (could be lowered through skills / implants ...?)
(baseline might be R=2)

The parameter K is the "maximum" Fatigue a character can get. (something like 30-45 seems realistic)
Fatigue decays with time as suggested in Dev blog.

Might give designers better knobs to tune than the exponential growth model.

Cheers, Chira.

Nicer tuning options, yes, but we want to keep the math as simple as possible, so people can more easily wrap their heads around it.

Is there a particular reason why the cooldown needs to go beyond, say, 6 hours per jump? And what should FCs do with his subcap fleets, just avoid JBs altogether in case someone's been using their char to get to/from the staging system or doing some JF logistics an hour before?
Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
#3486 - 2014-10-02 16:10:58 UTC
Moloney wrote:
Oh and please, for the love of God, do NOT add modules / drugs / what ever to manipulate the jump fatigue.

Why not this will encourage more industry and more drug production.

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#3487 - 2014-10-02 16:11:05 UTC
Vulfen wrote:
With these changes it will now be possible to get caps into incursion systems.

To me that seams like a mistake if people can completely destroy the mother ship with supers or dreads, will CCP make sure the site of the mothership is restricted or buff the mothership to make it more risky for caps to come on field. i.e a damage buff when the mothership shoots caps?

I don't think Caps can take the acceleration gates into actual sites. But they definitely can gatecamp the cynojammed incursion systems - good luck getting an incursion fleet through that. Though tbh nullsec incursions kinda dead anyway, maybe this is just the final nail in the coffin. Will be interesting to see how the lowsec groups react.
luredivino
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#3488 - 2014-10-02 16:11:19 UTC  |  Edited by: luredivino
So basically what you are saying is that if you have an emergency, you now are guarenteed to lose a multibillion isk ship. My fire alarm is going off, but I have to sit at my computer for 3 hours and wait this absurd timer off or lose something that took me 40 hours to get the isk for. Cant log off because combat timer. Well, might as well let my building burn down.

Things you are making virtually impossible:

• Lowsec and nulsec incursions
  • Moving rigged ships anywhere
  • Anyone except the largest groups moving anywhere by themselves
  • Blops fleets
  • Accessing npc null
  • Being able to leave system because of something in real life (People with jobs and school play this game)
  • Taking a region from a large group
  • Living in null without some kind of industrial group building stuff for you locally (Gl living in aridia or any other remote region without people selling stuff.

Things you are doing

• Pissing half the game off
  • Maybe limiting power projection

Seems worth
Daniel Westelius
Shadow State
Goonswarm Federation
#3489 - 2014-10-02 16:11:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Westelius
To quote you CCP Greyscale: "We considered a range of approaches, some softer than this, some harder. The thing that solidified the direction and scope for us was settling on the target of “long distance capital travel is faster through gates”; that allowed us to close in on our current solution very quickly. The goals were always expressed in terms of (all but) stopping certain types of activity rather than merely discouraging them, so it was clear from early on that we were going to have to make substantial changes to the status quo."

In what sci-fi movie or novel that you have watched or read has this occurred?
Did the Millennium Falcon ever say *screw the hyperspace drive on here, full power to the thrusters ! It's faster !*

You could have chosen one of a million ways to fix force projection and capitals, and this is the one you chose?
Did you read any of the articles posted on evenews24, TheMittani and the like? The masses of people offered some good ways of fixing the problem.

To quote someone from my corp, "CCP took a chain saw to a limb that could have been saved with a scalpel".

I would like to hear what you have to say CCP Greyscale in response to this.
Riddari Prowler
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3490 - 2014-10-02 16:12:17 UTC
Does CCP think most of the people saying they like this change in this thread are serious? Or do they understand that majority of them are just trolling?

Killing logistics/commerce in any game is bad. Giving more control to just a few groups is BAD. By doing these things they are going to lower the amount of money they make from paid subscribers and will end up hurting the company profits in the long run.

By at least coming to a compromise and allowing JF's/Rorqs to be exempt from this change it will at least keep the smaller guys involved and able to enjoy the game as much as the big guys and the pvpers.

I think when making a decision like this they should be looking at their overall profits from the game and try to project how much they might lose by hurting the smaller forces in the game which may or may not ruin it for them forcing them to find a new game and leaving eve. Players leaving Eve mean less overall profits for the company. Where I come from that would cause someone to lose their job.

Seriously they do need to consider not adding these changes to the logistical side of the game. Leave the JF's/Rorq's out of this change would be a great compromise all around and keep all parties in the happy zone. By including them you are just destroying an important aspect of the game for those who enjoy the logistics side over anything else in the game.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3491 - 2014-10-02 16:12:47 UTC
Querns wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

IDK, warp speed rigged cruisers? Gimmick fits tend to be awful in the real world, I'm sure someone will find a counter.

[Moros, Moros fit]

Damage Control II

Siege Module II

Not entirely sure if this will work but my dream of roaming dreads just took a big step forwards. Anyway, 1.7 mil EHP, 3au warp speed, a metric fuckton of firepower, half a minute to align (two nano take that down to 22 sec). Frankly if I can get this things align time down to around a battleships I may use it in baltec fleet in an ultimate show of stubbornness. I shall call it monkfish.

Just trade out one of the mids for a 100mn MWD. Heat that and you align in 10s.

Ah well there it is. Guess I do have a reason to train caps after all!
Flashbang Thereal
S0utherN Comfort
#3492 - 2014-10-02 16:13:08 UTC
CCP. YOU KNOW THAT YOU WIL HAVE TO COMPLETLY REMOVE EVERYTHING THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH WARP BUBLES FROM THE GAME???. The amount of warpdisruption bubles that wil be put up in every 0sec system in eve wil completly destroy any chance of moving anything around exept ceptors. Did you think about that while you where getting drunk down in your thinking hole. If anyone have any sense about market, now is the time to stock up on warpdisruption bubles? They wil be on high demand in nowember when supercaps starts roaming around trough gates.
Elsa Hayes
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#3493 - 2014-10-02 16:13:20 UTC
Karl Mason wrote:
NO No No No No No No No.....
Go back and start again...

You sound like my 4 year old nephew when he does not want to take his bath.
ulililillia
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3494 - 2014-10-02 16:14:14 UTC
Flashbang Thereal wrote:
CCP. YOU KNOW THAT YOU WIL HAVE TO COMPLETLY REMOVE EVERYTHING THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH WARP BUBLES FROM THE GAME???. The amount of warpdisruption bubles that wil be put up in every 0sec system in eve wil completly destroy any chance of moving anything around exept ceptors. Did you think about that while you where getting drunk down in your thinking hole. If anyone have any sense about market, now is the time to stock up on warpdisruption bubles? They wil be on high demand in nowember when supercaps starts roaming around trough gates.

You can still jump, lol read next time moran
Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#3495 - 2014-10-02 16:15:15 UTC
aargh i forgot fatigue just has to be less than 1, not zero

man this formula is not intuitive i have to completely redo my jump freighter modeling
Aerich e'Kieron
Peace.Keepers
#3496 - 2014-10-02 16:15:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Aerich e'Kieron
Monica Selle wrote:
Lyn Fel wrote:
CCP, why did you kill my corp?

Yes, I know the jump fatigue isn't as bad in a jump freighter but with the new jump ranges we will simply be unable to deliver to some systems. Our customers should expect much slower service and limited delivery areas after this change.

A million times this. As a PushX jump freight pilot I agree with this post. CCP you are killing public null freight businesses, please give us a way to deliver contracts to NPC null that don't involve jumping through several different alliance's sov space.

The times are changing.
Roads close, and new ones open up.

I don't know the economy behind your business very well at all.
However, if hauling and logistics are more hassle for the average player, your effort should be compensated for in the price of the service, given the increased work involved with each job.

The difficulty of moving things around, in and of itself, shouldn't really matter to you. Simply adjust your prices given the amount of work necessary to complete the task.

Being unable to access some pirate npc space at all is basically the same idea. It's not just you that cannot access it directly from low/high sec, no one can. So if someone wants stuff moved there, either charge more for the service because of the effort, or refuse jobs moving stuff to that particular space, or whatever you'd like.

Regardless, these changes effect everyone and everything, so just adjust prices/costs accordingly.

That being said, I can see how it could potentially kill a particular npc null area for business entirely if it's too far removed and there's literally no possible way to get goods there.
Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3497 - 2014-10-02 16:15:26 UTC
Radius Prime wrote:
For the zillionth time. Nullsec stagnation is caused by the players who run things, not game mechanics. You can change all the mechanics you want, but if you don't change the root of the problem, nothing will change. To bring about change you need to offer leaders incentive to create war and more fluid game play...

Like, oh I dunno, mechanics which don't reward stability and punish attacking someone like it is now, you mean?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#3498 - 2014-10-02 16:15:49 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

[Moros, Moros fit]

Damage Control II

Siege Module II

No one knows yet.

I know one thing. You WILL see nano carries stocked full of replacement ships. So you died? No prob, her,e let me pop out a replacement for 30 guys . no need to cyno me in, I'll be at the gate lol. Oh and then i'll assing fighters to you after you ship up again. Just for Goodnesssake don't get podded lol.

FC - "Ah man, their are dictors on the gate dropping bubbles"

Carrier guy - "Whelp, time to refit to faction smart bombs, I'll take care of them bubbles when i jump in" Big smile
Wu Jiaqiu
#3499 - 2014-10-02 16:17:10 UTC
luredivino wrote:
So basically what you are saying is that if you have an emergency, you now are guarenteed to lose a multibillion isk ship. My fire alarm is going off, but I have to sit at my computer for 3 hours and wait this absurd timer off or lose something that took me 40 hours to get the isk for. Cant log off because combat timer. Well, might as well let my building burn down.

This resounds so much with suicide ganking.

So. What?

This is a much needed shake up EVE needed to reduce the extent of null sec control, giving way for newer coalitions to get in. You now need to use your capital ships strategically instead of dropping carriers on a roaming cruiser gang. You expose yourself to more risk - like it should be with a capital escalation. I don't understand any of the tears.

Good work CCP Greyscale and the team which came up with this idea.
Isha Subula
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3500 - 2014-10-02 16:17:59 UTC
Eigenvalue wrote:
Isha Subula wrote:
Seriously this is not that bad of a change. Logistics will be fine. With the 90% reduction for Rorq and JF pilots an 8 jump trip takes 48 min if you wait out the fatigue timer after each jump. This is ment to penalize a group moving say 10 titans to a system that takes 3 jumps in a hurry. they will then be stuck thee for hours unable to jump out. I like this! Gives us a chance to catch them.

Bravo CCP

What does JF nerf have to do with Titans at all?

Also, you need to wait 14 minutes for each fatigue timer after each jump, so your math is way off. It's more like 112 minutes, which is 6 times longer than you would expect now for a JF doing that route and you've just made a really boring profession the most boring profession in any video game in history.

they are trying not to nerf jf as hard. what they are trying to nerf is a group hot dropping titans and supers all over eve with no restrictions except fuel costs. they accomplished this to say the least. Logistics wil just have to wait a bit longer between jumps. the hardest part is safety. 5ly max range means more jumps into non station systems = more risk