These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Giving Drones an Assist

First post First post
Author
stoicfaux
#981 - 2014-05-30 16:26:20 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
EW Drones? Pretty please? You have three days until Kronos, if you work the weekend? No?

Serpentis Stasis Drones...?

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

stoicfaux
#982 - 2014-05-30 16:29:50 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
EW Drones? Pretty please? You have three days until Kronos, if you work the weekend? No?

Serpentis Stasis Drones...?

Sentry EW Drones? Imagine a Dominix full of ECM Sentry Drones. Or a kiting Mach with four Sentry Stasis Drones.

Still no...?

/sniffle

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Calliwrath
Drunken Shipping
#983 - 2014-05-30 16:38:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Calliwrath
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Destoya wrote:
Quote:
Tracking speed values are decreasing to compensate, but all drones will track better than before when at their optimal ranges.

Numbers, please

The numbers are all available in the spreadsheet linked at the end of the blog.

Shouldn't the heavy drones orbit farther then the medium drones ? In the spreadsheet it's the same optimal for both.
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#984 - 2014-05-30 16:45:18 UTC
Calliwrath wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Destoya wrote:
Quote:
Tracking speed values are decreasing to compensate, but all drones will track better than before when at their optimal ranges.

Numbers, please

The numbers are all available in the spreadsheet linked at the end of the blog.

Shouldn't the heavy drones orbit farther then the medium drones ? In the spreadsheet it's the same optimal for both.

Same optimal, but the heavy drones orbit farther away and have more falloff.

Note that the optimal for all the combat drones is much farther than their orbit range. However more optimal and falloff comes in useful against targets that move around too much for a stable orbit.

To clarify, the orbit range is determined by the entityFlyRange attribute.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

Berluth Luthian
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#985 - 2014-05-30 16:47:46 UTC
Were EWAR drones going to be looked at at some point ever? I was hoping they'd be a part of this patch.
Gin Alley
#986 - 2014-05-30 17:03:31 UTC
Can I still control half of 0.0 with a sentry carrier blob thats all I wanna know..
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#987 - 2014-05-30 17:27:58 UTC
Gin Alley wrote:
Can I still control half of 0.0 with a sentry carrier blob thats all I wanna know..

You can do anything if you work hard and believe in yourself.

stoicfaux
#988 - 2014-05-30 17:42:31 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Gin Alley wrote:

You can do anything if you work hard and believe in yourself friendship. And ponies.

FTFY.

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#989 - 2014-05-30 17:53:15 UTC
In the latest summary dev blog I read about a change to the tracking/optimal to all drones ... will they now be able to apply damage to small stationary targets when in orbit? Last week when I tested on SiSi Hammers where not at all and Hobs only occasionally applying damage to a stationary Hobgoblin II ... In contrast during approach before reaching orbit they applied almost the full damage. Maybe this test was not realistic, because in a real fight the enemy drones would move ... but webbing seems counterproductive in this case.

I'm my own NPC alt.

CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#990 - 2014-05-30 17:56:25 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
In the latest summary dev blog I read about a change to the tracking/optimal to all drones ... will they now be able to apply damage to small stationary targets when in orbit? Last week when I tested on SiSi Hammers where not at all and Hobs only occasionally applying damage to a stationary Hobgoblin II ... In contrast during approach before reaching orbit they applied almost the full damage. Maybe this test was not realistic, because in a real fight the enemy drones would move ... but webbing seems counterproductive in this case.

Drones will not have a better chance of hitting small stationary targets than before, but against very small targets like light drones their transversal can still be a significant challenge. That being said, try the same test with an Infiltrator drone and you'll notice an improvement. Hammerheads have the weakest tracking of all medium drones.

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#991 - 2014-05-30 18:14:09 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Gin Alley wrote:

You can do anything if you work hard and believe in yourself friendship. And ponies.

FTFY.

Please don't try to undo our hard work in getting rid of all things MLP on eve. *shudders*
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#992 - 2014-05-30 18:16:13 UTC
BTW, same results with Valkyrie II against Hobs. OK, will do more tests with the other types next week when back at a PC. When trying to kill the enemy drones in a fight with my own drones, I recognized that the damage decreased the longer the fight against a particular drone lasted which seemed weird to me ...

I'm my own NPC alt.

David Laurentson
Laurentson INC
#993 - 2014-05-30 19:24:55 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
BTW, same results with Valkyrie II against Hobs. OK, will do more tests with the other types next week when back at a PC. When trying to kill the enemy drones in a fight with my own drones, I recognized that the damage decreased the longer the fight against a particular drone lasted which seemed weird to me ...

IME, pre-change, the Amarr drones were amazingly good at shooting under-sized targets. Their speed/tracking combination was just right, while the Hammers couldn't track and the Valks orbited too fast.

As for your non-stationary drone test, that's likely because the orbits stabilised. Drones arrive on target at a ridiculous multiple of their planned orbital velocity. They have to both slow from full MWD speed and circularise their orbits around a mobile target: it takes a bit for them to settle into an orbit that isn't frequently adjusting to the target's motion.
Wylt Echerie
Les Suceuses de l'Ouest
Ishtar Spin Forever
#994 - 2014-05-30 19:44:28 UTC
Nice! Dev blog updated with changes to how the skill split is being handled! Only a month after making the decision!
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#995 - 2014-05-30 23:09:31 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Gin Alley wrote:

You can do anything if you work hard and believe in yourself.

NO NOT BELIEVING IN YOURSELF

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Dirk MacGirk
Specter Syndicate
#996 - 2014-05-31 03:06:01 UTC
any change to tracking or other stats related to the update for the Gecko?
Aria Jimbojohnson
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#997 - 2014-05-31 12:55:51 UTC
Wylt Echerie wrote:
Nice! Dev blog updated with changes to how the skill split is being handled! Only a month after making the decision!

...and 3 days before release. Yay?
Joe South
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#998 - 2014-05-31 13:28:30 UTC
Since someone waited until the very last day or so before posting on the dev blog that we actually didn't need to train Combat Drone Operation V, you should give us the SP back for that skill when you make the change. This is for characters that also had Scout Drone Operation V trained.

You should do this anyway, regardless of this miscommunication, as any other approach simply gives SP to those who didn't train this skill while eliminating a fully trained skill for another set of characters. If someone has explained how this is will be fairly compensated, I apologize for not seeing this and would appreciate a link to that reasonable explanation as a reply to this post.
Dirk MacGirk
Specter Syndicate
#999 - 2014-05-31 15:53:21 UTC
Joe South wrote:
Since someone waited until the very last day or so before posting on the dev blog that we actually didn't need to train Combat Drone Operation V, you should give us the SP back for that skill when you make the change. This is for characters that also had Scout Drone Operation V trained.

You should do this anyway, regardless of this miscommunication, as any other approach simply gives SP to those who didn't train this skill while eliminating a fully trained skill for another set of characters. If someone has explained how this is will be fairly compensated, I apologize for not seeing this and would appreciate a link to that reasonable explanation as a reply to this post.

Fozzie stated the following in Post #630 on April 3 https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4431589#post4431589

"As many of you have suggested, we'll be giving pilots the same level in both Light Drone Operation and Medium Drone Operation as the highest level they have in either Scout Drone Operation or Combat Drone Operation over the patch downtime."

This was known for some time and repeated in various other outlets
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#1000 - 2014-05-31 16:32:36 UTC
fozzie ... are geckos going to be updated with the new drone ranges etc? .. and also will 1 gecko they still do more dps than 2 ogres like they do now ?

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using