These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What are the origins of your characters name?

First post
Author
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#41 - 2014-05-24 10:48:43 UTC
Dukun wrote:
There's an article on wikipedia about me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukun

I bet you don't have your own article on wiki, do you? Big smile

I looked mine up on wikipedia:
"In June 2008, CNET named Webvan the largest dot-com flop in history"

Sounds about right... lol

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#42 - 2014-05-24 11:06:58 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
My name is a combination of 2 things personal to me.

- Shah: it means "king" in Persian/Farsi, which is my family's ancestry.

- Fluffers: I used to have rather long "poofy" hair that various females loved to play with because it was so "fluffy." After some years (including one too many bar excursions with good buddies) tthe nickname evolved into "Fluffers." The comedian Gabriel Iglesias only cemented this further as I was a rather "big guy" during my late university and post university years.

When I started EVE I wanted to create a "disposable" name for a character that I intended to toss as soon as I learned the mechanics... but the more I learned about EVE the more I realized that there was no such thing as a truly "disposable" character and so there was no incentive to biomass (quite the opposite in fact).

Eventually the name grew on me as I realized that no one takes a person with "Fluffers" in their name seriously... which works wonderfully in PVP.

All hail the King of Fluffiness!!!
Lumukanda Theleraese
Paranoid Inc
#43 - 2014-05-24 11:49:29 UTC
First name comes from a Zulu story
Last name is an anagram in relation to the first
Dukun
MSPS
#44 - 2014-05-24 13:56:47 UTC
Webvan wrote:
Dukun wrote:
There's an article on wikipedia about me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukun

I looked mine up on wikipedia:
"In June 2008, CNET named Webvan the largest dot-com flop in history"

Sounds about right... lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webvan

Webvan was an online credit and delivery grocery business that went bankrupt in 2001

Sounds like you have negative wallet bro Big smile
Doreen Kaundur
#45 - 2014-05-24 16:52:32 UTC
"Doireen" (original spelling)

Came from the name generator in RIFT (which I played before they went F2P)

"Kaundur" came from the name generator in EVE. It's Minmatar in origin, it means "canker sore."

[center]1. Minor navigation color change. 2. Show bookmarks in the overview.[/center]

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2014-05-24 18:51:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
Dukun wrote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Glitterstim

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#47 - 2014-05-24 21:12:37 UTC
"Herzog" comes from the game "Herzog Zwei".

"Wolfhammer" is a handle I have used since I was 11 when playing D&D (Basic box set - I still have the die) and have used in every RPG/MMO since.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Tyra Falco
Glasgow Kiss Enterprises
#48 - 2014-05-24 21:45:24 UTC
Tyra comes from the viking princess and daughter of Harald Bluetooth Tyra of Denmark.
Falco was the second name of my mothers Ukrainian pen friend when she was at high school during the 1960's.

Samoth Egnoled -'I like your Avatar alot! The facial tattoo's kinda give you that scary clown look, which suits you quite well.' Pepper Swift -'Fuckisn like not workign'

RAIN Arthie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2014-05-25 12:33:22 UTC
RAIN was my call sign in Iraq. Arthie I let EVE pick.
Aranaelia
Doomheim
#50 - 2014-05-25 12:48:07 UTC
I wanted either Amelia or Aranae - my daughter's names. Obviously neither were available, so I combined the two, mainly because I wanted a single word name.
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#51 - 2014-05-26 00:01:38 UTC
It's a mirage made by the sun when it is low over water.

—Ω—

Cecilia Matilda Fock
The I and F Taxation Trust
#52 - 2014-05-26 13:53:02 UTC
"Cecilia" is after Simon & Garfunkel.
"Matilda" is after Harry Belafonte.
"Fock" is after what you think.

But I'm a good girl.
Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#53 - 2014-05-26 23:53:58 UTC
"Uriel" is a cool archangel

"Paradisi" is 'of paradise' (I don't remember why I added this)

"Anteovnuecci" is a corruption of my real name

I could do without the middle name, if I had to make me again Smile
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#54 - 2014-05-27 17:23:21 UTC
Back in the late 90's I was into professional wrestling. So I joined one of them e-mail wrestling leagues, and I wanted a Cool name. Being a geek I always like Darth Vader. So I wanted to use the name Darth, and figured that The Grim Reaper was cool. So I used Darth Reaper.

Then a few years later, I joined a game called Earth and Beyond. And rolled a Progen Warrior. Again I used the name Darth Reaper. A few weeks later I made a Jenqui Explorer alt, so I figured to keep the naming convention, I Was Darth Reaper JE... but the name was too long, so I dropped it to Darth ReaperJE that was STILL too long, so I thought and went well DaReaper could have multiple meanings, so lets do that. Thus DaReaperJE was born.

A few weeks later, I was going to make another alt when they announced the sunset of EnB. I was bumming, but CCP did there first trial for eve, so me a few friends jumped over. Once again, Darth Reaper was made. 1 week into the trial I got hooked on eve, and decided to go but the CD and use that code to activate my trial (little did I know at the time that you can't do this) So I went to the virgin megastore and bought the very last eve retail box. When I got home I tried to use the cd key on Darth's account, but it failed. So I said 'crap.. well.. lets make a new account' and when I was going to pick a name, the first one that poped into my head was DaReaper. After that I transferred darths stuff to da and let the trial expire. A few years later I restarted that account, but as I was attached to da, I bio'd Darth and made my other alt. But that's a different story.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

jason hill
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#55 - 2014-05-27 18:01:15 UTC
mines a bit of a sorry tale of woe if I`m honest . back in the day (2003) I`d created the my character with a different name but I`d buggered up the blood lines training thingy and when someone pointed out my mistake I thought aww sod it im still only 2 months old ill just scrap the character and start again ....anyways after about a thousand attempts at trying to get around the profanity filter (which I failed at miserably) ... in my fustratration I just typed in my own real name by mistake Shocked

so imagine my surprise and bloody embarrassment when I found out I that I was stuck with me own bloody name in game
so ive not been able to take part in any R/P ...as I had thought id might like to have a shot at back then so I just act exactly as I would do in R/L ...

so essentially ...what you lot see in game is exactly what you get on the tin Big smile
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2014-05-27 21:36:13 UTC
"Matilda" is after Harry Belafonte.
"Cecilia" is after Simon & Garfunkel.
"Fock" is after what you think.

And I'm a good girl, too.

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Lido Seahawk
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2014-05-28 00:14:01 UTC
Seahawks! World champions, baby!

Oh, and Lido Shuffle was the song that was playing on the radio when I subscribed. Big smile

May I have your stuff?

Jonny Lumi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2014-05-28 05:18:04 UTC
So. "Lumi" is finnish and translates directly to "Snow".

... And no, it was NOT a Game of thrones/R.R. Martin reference. Back at 2007 I didn't know about the books, just chose a name that sounded nice, and the initials happened to be the same as in my IRL name.

But oh well, I guess i'm a bastard now, and I know nothing.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#59 - 2014-05-28 06:24:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
It's not English - it's Serbian (since I'm from Serbia). It means "Antichrist's Apprentice". It's not religion based, but rather have roots in high-tech. I've read somewhere that the Antichrist would be a man who could create anything that God creates, but that his creations would be artificial and without a soul. When I started playing I was studying Artificial intelligence in software engineering. Eve is also a game where you are actively creating something in a virtual universe, so each player is a creator. I didn't want to name my character as a singular entity that would rule out other players/creators, so I've added "Apprentice". Blink

Oh... and it's "Anti" for friends Smile
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#60 - 2014-05-28 09:41:22 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
An 'Ezwal' is a six legged, highly intelligent and telepathic 'monster' with razor sharp nails and icepick like teeth, featuring in a few stories by SF writer A.E.Van Vogt.
Not a particularly good writer or even noteworthy stories, but the name and especially what it stands for is quite appropriate for an ISD member tasked with moderating the EvE forum....Twisted

further suggestion that CCP Falcon picked his CCP name based on his job description

I finished watching Ninja Assassin with the Korean actor Rain. ...then followed that up with a serial number to conform to the EVE RP of clones. 6637 rolled off the tongue quiet nicely. all subsequent Rains have been named in serial number order.