These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WiS pledge fundrising

First post First post
Author
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#481 - 2014-05-20 01:30:43 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
new content is not the same as new gameplay.
Yet "new gameplay" is mostly what I listed. Such as bombing the snot out of dust bunnies is new game play. How many progression themepark mmo games sell expansions which do not really add new game play but just reiterate old systems (raising level caps) and drop in new zones (new content, not new "game play" by your definition). A "content expansion" or expansion doesn't necessarily result in new game play, yet it's still an expansion.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Jonas Xiamon
#482 - 2014-05-20 02:56:53 UTC
Webvan wrote:
Yet "new gameplay" is mostly what I listed. Such as bombing the snot out of dust bunnies is new game play. How many progression themepark mmo games sell expansions which do not really add new game play but just reiterate old systems (raising level caps) and drop in new zones (new content, not new "game play" by your definition). A "content expansion" or expansion doesn't necessarily result in new game play, yet it's still an expansion.

A lot of the changes in the past updates have honestly been much needed on systems that they had not been spending nearly enough time on. While though I don't find ISIS to be particularly useful, it certainly is new content. Most of what you listed was indeed new gameplay, though it was tiny snippets. Actually I don't consider orbital bombardment to be new gameplay as it's pretty much the equivalent of getting a new skill in an themepark mmo.

I have a slightly different gun that I can equip and aim at only one thing on my overview? I'm not trying to downplay the link between games, it's actually pretty cool that you can affect dusters gameplay from Eve. However, from a FiS perspective, it didn't really add much.

That being said, the recent patches have added some much needed updates, and I hope they continue iterating on FiS as wonderfully as they have been.

I just wish they'de assign a few teams over to work on WiS too.

I usally write one of these and then change it a month later when I reread it and decide it sounds stupid.

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#483 - 2014-05-20 03:48:37 UTC
Jonas Xiamon wrote:
Actually I don't consider orbital bombardment to be new gameplay as it's pretty much the equivalent of getting a new skill in an themepark mmo.\

Wat?

So the only thing that qualifies as new game play in EVE, a real expansion, would need to be something that does not use a skill of any sort? Am I getting that right? Certainly orbital bombardment is not just a new skill... far more complex than that.

Is that your idea of what WiS should have been too, or should be? Completely void of skill for it to count as new game play? You do understand that this is a skill based sandbox, EVE is, right? It's how "game play" functions here. So the only way new game play for EVE could be considered new "game play" is to be based on something other than how EVE functions -or even on nothing at all?

You are not talking about new game play, but completely different game play. New does not necessarily mean different. And even in that, orbital bombardment is technically more different and original than anyone else has done thus far in the industry. Two different games, two different platforms, interacting. That is somehow marginalized as just a skill and rather bourgeois? eh-eh..
It was part of an expansion to EVE.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#484 - 2014-05-20 07:30:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
Webvan wrote:

We are in complete agreement. I concede to your point.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#485 - 2014-05-20 09:19:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanh'rhh
Jonas Xiamon wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Except the last part, there was nothing to suggest they had "invented and coded games" at all.

Back in 2008 at fanfest they had a demo where they showed off their work on ambulations. They had a playable minigame that you could play against other players, and it was supposed to be one of a few games they would add whenever they finally came out with ambulations. They had it, it was at one point, and likely always a part of the plan.

The stuff demo-reeled in 2007/2008 was done in the Unreal engine, and was admittedly pre-rendered. I even linked the video in this thread to make the point of how much work CCP had thrown away to chase the CARBON goose.
Nothing suggested any work had been done using their own engine.
raven666wings wrote:
I don't see how this would be a problem. It's not like there's too many kids playing EVE Online. Besides, even if they got attracted to any potential WiS/Legion rated M or 18+ content, I'm sure they would get to play the game anyway just like they do with GTA V and others. Need I remind you to who holds the all time record of sales in the videogames business? Ok here it goes:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2013/10/confirmed-grand-theft-auto-breaks-six-sales-world-records-51900/

Edit: Actually it's only the best seller in the first 24 hours and 1st to reach $1 billion in sales of all time. The best seller of all time record belongs to Tetris according to this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

I don't want to play made-up-stats ping-pong, but there will be a non-trivial percentage of players who are under 18, lets call it x%

For WiS to take the game R-18, it will need to, minimum, attract x% of new subscribers just to bring us to where we are. Which, for an expansion which would have left most of the core game broken, is hilariously unlikely. Going R-18 is a guaranteed loss of income, with nothing to suggest they will make that back up, let alone expand on it and make the development break-even.

But that's all beside the point, even CCP didn't think WiS was going to increase subscriptions, they were looking for the micro-transaction market. They saw companies like Riot raking in Billions per year from a free game selling vanity items. They saw silly little iPhone games making more profit in a day than CCP take in a year. That's what they were looking to get in on. The concept was a multi-avatar experience where you could pay silly amounts of money to show off what you'd bought. Any actual 'gameplay' (i.e. new things to actually do) were a long way off and in a conceptual stage.

The tragedy for CCP, is that if they had handled the idea correctly, it would have actually worked. A huge amount of the LoL playerbase will spend ~$20 a month on pure vanity items. A small percentage will spend $100s (the industry calls these people 'whales'). There was easily a future where CCP would have gotten a decent percentage of their userbase spending enough on AURUM each month to make 2-3 more effective subscriptions, and adding vanity content is quite easy.
Eve online is a hyper-niche game, so the logical thing to do is to try to increase your revenue from your existing userbase as much, if not more so, than trying to capture new players*, you just have to do this without throwing your existing players under a bus, whilst announcing you are going to fleece them for money.

*(this in part happens by itself, the largest drivers of new accounts are always news-worth ingame events, not a features list for an expansion. The sub-spikes around expansions are old players trying it out again).

e: as for the notion "kids get R-18 games anyway!" yes, in your example, but it's far, far less likely that mom/granny is going to sign up for a recurring subscription to an online R-18 anything than take note of the rating on a videogame box.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#486 - 2014-05-20 13:21:26 UTC
OK I raise my pledge to 50,000 euro of the OP's money to not work on W.I.S.
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#487 - 2014-05-20 14:43:51 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Khanh'rhh wrote:
I don't want to play made-up-stats ping-pong, but there will be a non-trivial percentage of players who are under 18, lets call it x%

For WiS to take the game R-18, it will need to, minimum, attract x% of new subscribers just to bring us to where we are. Which, for an expansion which would have left most of the core game broken, is hilariously unlikely. Going R-18 is a guaranteed loss of income, with nothing to suggest they will make that back up, let alone expand on it and make the development break-even.

Eve online is a hyper-niche game, so the logical thing to do is to try to increase your revenue from your existing userbase as much, if not more so, than trying to capture new players*, you just have to do this without throwing your existing players under a bus, whilst announcing you are going to fleece them for money.

*(this in part happens by itself, the largest drivers of new accounts are always news-worth ingame events, not a features list for an expansion. The sub-spikes around expansions are old players trying it out again).

I disagree. As a company selling a product you want to sell the product to the highest number of costumers possible. I'm not saying you should ignore the current clients and stop maintenance on the product, what I mean is that the product, aside from maintenance and face-lifts, needs new features that will improve it's quality and attract new costumers who would otherwise not buy it.

Khanh'rhh wrote:
e: as for the notion "kids get R-18 games anyway!" yes, in your example, but it's far, far less likely that mom/granny is going to sign up for a recurring subscription to an online R-18 anything than take note of the rating on a videogame box.

Another reason to change the game's business model from monthly subscription based to one time pay-to-play with redundant micro-transactions.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#488 - 2014-05-20 15:46:57 UTC
raven666wings wrote:
I disagree. As a company selling a product you want to sell the product to the highest number of costumers possible

This is why you don't want to cut out the 12-18 market who are the mainstray of most of the videogames industry, whether you want to accept that fact or not.
Quote:
Another reason to change the game's business model from monthly subscription based to one time pay-to-play with redundant micro-transactions.

So your literal opinion is you, as a company, decide to make the game R-18 and then make it as easy as possible to dodge the certificate for minors?* Really? That's what you think a sound business plan that you take to shareholders looks like? "no we wont lose x% because they will use our gambling service illegally lolz"
OK.
Quote:
I'm not saying you should ignore the current clients and stop maintenance on the product, what I mean is that the product, aside from maintenance and face-lifts, needs new features that will improve it's quality and attract new costumers who would otherwise not buy it.

How large do you really think the number of players who tried eve, loved the spaceships, but unsubscribed because they couldn't show other players their dress, is? You'll note that the people arguing for WiS are always talking about the hypothetical customer who would love WiS so much they would only subscribe for it, whilst they themselves remain subscribed because the game is already compelling enough.
CCP do exit surveys. They literally ask leaving players what would make them re-try Eve, so they have an idea of what would do this. It should be telling, then, that WiS for subscription numbers isn't on the table.
I say again: WiS was never, ever about subscriptions, it was about micro-transactions.

* - it's not, FYI, if you have a look at any R-18 commercial content delivered online, there are usually hard-checks on age. i.e. credit cards. Most make it slightly more difficult than this, too, with a lot needing driving licenses or other ID to do it.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#489 - 2014-05-20 16:56:19 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:

This is why you don't want to cut out the 12-18 market who are the mainstray of most of the videogames industry, whether you want to accept that fact or not.

They might make for a big percentage of videogame customers, but they aren't the mainstray of EVE Online customers like you claim.

Khanh'rhh wrote:

So your literal opinion is you, as a company, decide to make the game R-18 and then make it as easy as possible to dodge the certificate for minors?* Really? That's what you think a sound business plan that you take to shareholders looks like? "no we wont lose x% because they will use our gambling service illegally lolz"
OK.
First of all, I'm not fond of the idea of having "shareholders" fund your game company and tell you what you should or not do. Second, regarding kids playing M or 18+ rated games, welcome to life, we live on Earth.

Khanh'rhh wrote:
How large do you really think the number of players who tried eve, loved the spaceships, but unsubscribed because they couldn't show other players their dress, is? You'll note that the people arguing for WiS are always talking about the hypothetical customer who would love WiS so much they would only subscribe for it, whilst they themselves remain subscribed because the game is already compelling enough.
CCP do exit surveys. They literally ask leaving players what would make them re-try Eve, so they have an idea of what would do this. It should be telling, then, that WiS for subscription numbers isn't on the table.
I say again: WiS was never, ever about subscriptions, it was about micro-transactions.

* - it's not, FYI, if you have a look at any R-18 commercial content delivered online, there are usually hard-checks on age. i.e. credit cards. Most make it slightly more difficult than this, too, with a lot needing driving licenses or other ID to do it.

I'm sorry, you lost me here, I have no idea what you're ranting about.
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#490 - 2014-05-20 17:25:00 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
A nice article for you: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865569864/Mature-video-games-fare-well-on-year-end-best-seller-list-are-they-becoming-more-mainstream.html?pg=all

Have I mentioned GTA V being the world record for most sales in the first 24 hours, the first to reach $1 billion in sales and holding 6th place in the all time best sellers, above Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in 9th (another M rated game)? Yes I have... you want more? http://www.amazon.com/Video-Games-Rated-M-Mature/lm/R3J6UNAU2FURIP <<----all M rated games.
Couldn't find a full list of all the M rated games out there selling like hot cupcakes and being played by kids (Halo, Assassin's Creed, Diablo, etc) but I think you get the point.

Edit: Can get the full list of M rated games here http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#491 - 2014-05-20 18:46:28 UTC
Quote:
26. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued.

Thread closed.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department