These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WiS pledge fundrising

First post First post
Author
Solidity Project
Doomheim
#461 - 2014-05-19 13:42:12 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
*smiles* Still waiting for our meeting to happen, Erica! :D

You better behave you little monster, or I'll watch over you from across the room!
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#462 - 2014-05-19 13:54:05 UTC
Jonas Xiamon wrote:
Someone should run for the CSM on the platform of WiS Rep/Advocate.

They have.

They didn't get in.
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
Ryunosuke Kusanagi wrote:

On the Incarna front, WiS was in development for...18 months or so (citation needed)

The "18 months" was taken from the responses to CSM 5 at their first Iceland meeting, where every question about developement on EvE was met with a flat "there is no EvE developement for the next 18 months while we work on Incarna". I'm not sure whether Incarna developement was that long in truth (although, as the summer of rage was during CSM 6, it sounds about right), but its what made "18 months" the slogan it is.

EDIT - getting my CSM terms wrong Oops

On top of this, the next 3 expansion cycles were scheduled to be making Incarna actually usable for something.

The discussion is academic, anyway. Despite ~2yrs development on Incarna-WiS, there was still no proposed gameplay. The whole idea of Incarna was to expand revenue by microtransactions, for clothes, monacles, etc. Other people being able to see this in real-time was a ways off.
Other people being able to interact with you and do anything meaningful, even further.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#463 - 2014-05-19 14:50:51 UTC
Any player with minimal integrity and self respect wouldn't ever run for "CSM" which are nothing but a group of CCP employee wannabees that get used as a marketing/public relations tool without even getting payed.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#464 - 2014-05-19 14:57:41 UTC
raven666wings wrote:
Any player with minimal integrity and self respect wouldn't ever run for "CSM" which are nothing but a group of CCP employee wannabees that get used as a marketing/public relations tool without even getting payed.

Sometimes it's hard to see why your type don't get any traction with their demands, other times it's not.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Jonas Xiamon
#465 - 2014-05-19 15:10:53 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
On top of this, the next 3 expansion cycles were scheduled to be making Incarna actually usable for something.

The discussion is academic, anyway. Despite ~2yrs development on Incarna-WiS, there was still no proposed gameplay. The whole idea of Incarna was to expand revenue by microtransactions, for clothes, monacles, etc. Other people being able to see this in real-time was a ways off.
Other people being able to interact with you and do anything meaningful, even further.

God dammit I hate this meaningful content argument that keeps dribbling incessantly from peoples lips as they recite the great and powerful Mittani's mantra to no end. First off, "meaningful" is a meaningless word. Secondly, there were plenty of ideas to making it meaningful from in game gambling to a smuggling expansion. Honestly the entire social aspect in and of itself was the real purpose of WiS. There are three main aspects of MMOs, the Sandbox, the Theme park, and the Coffee shop. Many players and non-players would enjoy more down-to-earth social interactivity. Honestly it would be great to be able to gamble my isk away whenever my corp is being stationed camped.

I usally write one of these and then change it a month later when I reread it and decide it sounds stupid.

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#466 - 2014-05-19 15:13:17 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Sometimes it's hard to see why your type don't get any traction with their demands, other times it's not.

My "type" doesn't "demand" anything, we're aware that the game is not ours. We let the company know what we want for our money. It's up to them to deliver or not.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#467 - 2014-05-19 15:14:56 UTC
raven666wings wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:

My "type" doesn't "demand" anything, we're aware that the game is not ours. We let the company know what we want for our money.
It's up to them to deliver or not.

Yesterday you said you didnt even play the game

Your type is therefore Normal/Liar

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#468 - 2014-05-19 15:16:09 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Yesterday you said you didnt even play the game

Your type is therefore Normal/Liar

I don't and I won't. Until it provides me any fun and entertainment.
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#469 - 2014-05-19 15:29:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Aralyn Cormallen
Jonas Xiamon wrote:
Secondly, there were plenty of ideas to making it meaningful from in game gambling to a smuggling expansion.

And we got none of it, not even the slightest hint that any of it was even vaguely considered. Genuinely, gambling has to be the most-requested feature, but never once, not once, not even with CCP's flirtation with Somer, was it ever even slightly hinted that they might consider that avenue. Consider that - the most requested, certainly one of the most simplest interactions, you wouldn't even need to leave the captains quarters, you could do it via terminal, and there was never the slightest, most vaguest hints, that it might be included. Thats the reality of WiS.
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#470 - 2014-05-19 18:25:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Gambling and drug use, violence depicted in a real life manner would make this game lose its current PEGI 12 status, maybe its nothing big, but its one more con for CCP.
Arthul Omanid
Castile y Leon Enterprises
#471 - 2014-05-19 18:59:24 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
Gambling and drug use, violence depicted in a real life manner would make this game lose its current PEGI 12 status, maybe its nothing big, but its one more con for CCP.

One could argue that boosters already constitute drug use in the game, though.
Jonas Xiamon
#472 - 2014-05-19 20:28:53 UTC
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
Jonas Xiamon wrote:
Secondly, there were plenty of ideas to making it meaningful from in game gambling to a smuggling expansion.

And we got none of it, not even the slightest hint that any of it was even vaguely considered.

Ridiculous, the smuggling idea came from CCP themselves. They were toying with the ideas of making boosters contraband you had to buy in seedy bars. The gambling idea too, came from CCP's original idea of WiS, Ambulations where they had an avatar go into a bar and gamble a bit of his isk. This was in one of the fan-fest presentations. They were not unaware of these possibilities, and they were heavily considering it, and had already invented and coded games for players to gamble in.

I usally write one of these and then change it a month later when I reread it and decide it sounds stupid.

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#473 - 2014-05-19 20:39:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanh'rhh
Jonas Xiamon wrote:
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
Jonas Xiamon wrote:

And we got none of it, not even the slightest hint that any of it was even vaguely considered.

Ridiculous, the smuggling idea came from CCP themselves. They were toying with the ideas of making boosters contraband you had to buy in seedy bars. The gambling idea too, came from CCP's original idea of WiS, Ambulations where they had an avatar go into a bar and gamble a bit of his isk. This was in one of the fan-fest presentations. They were not unaware of these possibilities, and they were heavily considering it, and had already invented and coded games for players to gamble in.

These were far-flung conceptual ideas pushed around at a drawing-board stage for feedback, about one month before the WiS expansion hit.

They were no-where. They were as far towards making the actual content, as a 12 year old is when he thinks up a couple of witty lines and decides to be a script-writer.

Except the last part, there was nothing to suggest they had "invented and coded games" at all. In fact, CCP were looking at whether they even wanted "gambling" to be a mainstay of an expansion, which could/would make it legally 'interesting' in many countries. For starters, it would **have** to become an R-18 in nearly every western country.

Jonas Xiamon
#474 - 2014-05-19 20:56:45 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Except the last part, there was nothing to suggest they had "invented and coded games" at all.

Back in 2008 at fanfest they had a demo where they showed off their work on ambulations. They had a playable minigame that you could play against other players, and it was supposed to be one of a few games they would add whenever they finally came out with ambulations. They had it, it was at one point, and likely always a part of the plan.

Candi LeMew
Division 13
#475 - 2014-05-19 21:10:23 UTC
Another quiet day in space eh Khanh'rhh?

How's Rhes? Erica says to say hello and asks if you could give him a brisk slap on the bum for her next time you see him.

🍌

Remember... in Anoikis Bob Is Always Watching...

"I been kicked out of better homes than this" - Rick James

Jonas Xiamon
#476 - 2014-05-19 21:16:11 UTC
Honestly though, if CCP did a WiS kickstarter where you could purchase certain fashion items for different amounts and raise money for more work towards WiS w/o hindering their FiS work, I'de be all over that.

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#477 - 2014-05-19 21:21:47 UTC
Candi LeMew wrote:
Another quiet day in space eh Khanh'rhh?

How's Rhes? Erica says to say hello and asks if you could give him a brisk slap on the bum for her next time you see him.

Quite capable of slapping asses myself, thank you.

Feel like updating my portrait but I've kinda exhausted my creative options with the limited fashions of late.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#478 - 2014-05-19 22:22:38 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Bagrat Skalski wrote:

Khanh'rhh wrote:
For starters, it would **have** to become an R-18 in nearly every western country.

I don't see how this would be a problem. It's not like there's too many kids playing EVE Online. Besides, even if they got attracted to any potential WiS/Legion rated M or 18+ content, I'm sure they would get to play the game anyway just like they do with GTA V and others. Need I remind you to who holds the all time record of sales in the videogames business? Ok here it goes:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2013/10/confirmed-grand-theft-auto-breaks-six-sales-world-records-51900/

Edit: Actually it's only the best seller in the first 24 hours and 1st to reach $1 billion in sales of all time. The best seller of all time record belongs to Tetris according to this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#479 - 2014-05-19 22:37:42 UTC
Jonas Xiamon wrote:
Honestly though, if CCP did a WiS kickstarter where you could purchase certain fashion items for different amounts and raise money for more work towards WiS w/o hindering their FiS work, I'de be all over that.

I think this could even work if they allowed player submissions in a competition type setting after which CCP would decide if an entry makes it into the game or not. CCP could share some simple details about the 3d format, the texture requirements and so on.

To reduce the noise maybe a custom outfit could be tied to an Alliance or something like that.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#480 - 2014-05-19 22:57:00 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:

Pegi 12 was one of the worst things to happen to eve, I prefer my corpses naked.

This is no place for 12 year olds...

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...