These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WiS pledge fundrising

First post First post
Author
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#381 - 2014-05-14 10:44:28 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
What WiS needs is a GTA style production approach, set of course in the EVE Universe and entailing it's own lore and assets. I suggest CCP to outsource production and license the IP to Rockstar Games in case they are incapable of developing their own avatar gameplay engine or integrating an Unreal 4 version of it.
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#382 - 2014-05-15 18:12:01 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Webvan wrote:
Ubat Batuk wrote:
I am pretty sure EVE has been put in maintenance mode, e.g. no more expansions, just fixes. I am really looking forward to being proven wrong. Please prove me wrong.
It's about reiteration but they have been working on new stuff. Player built gates and uncharted solar systems, deep space exploration etc. Part of the five year plan. Reiteration and maintenance mode are two different things. You don't see all the new stuff going in or something? Only a Jita 4-4 doubler would miss it all. Or someone that just logs in once a month to update the skill que.

Well I am of the opinion that as far as CCP is concerned Eve is a finished game, as evidenced by the fact that we're moving from two expansions per year to 6 weekly releases.

These releases will probably add in the odd deployable or two, a couple of ship skins and some tweaks here or there, but the grand days of gameplay enhancing and game changing expansions are over as far as I can see.

Don't get me wrong, I still expect to see nice stuff come as a result of the new point releases but the Golden Age has definately ended.

This is silly, really silly. How blinkered do you need to be to have not seen that CCP have a multi-year vision for Eve, which includes the enormous proposed changes of "make everything destroyable" and player-built stargates, and the rest of it? If they pull off half of it, Eve will change more in the next 5 years than it has in the past 10.

The quicker release cycle != point (maintenance) releases. Maybe look at the presentations instead of reading the crib-notes?

Mark my words... If you think randomly seeding a new map and allowing a single player built stargate to get there is an expansion then you are wrong. It can't be called an expansion when all it offers is the old gameplay in a new form (and this is all we've had from CCP these last few years).

People already fight over SOV, people already visit unknown space (WH's) and people already trade on the market. If all you are going to get is a bigger map and and a new way to get there how is that an expansion?

At best it's just a polish of the database values with a procedurally generated random map. The future of eve is just that a stat change here or there, a few deployables and tool-tips that push the game more towards 'easymode' for noobs.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#383 - 2014-05-15 21:22:02 UTC
k

By your logic, then, eve has never had an expansion. I must say eve is doing well for an 11 year old game with no expansions.

Wait..
heh

No it's worse than that. In your mind eve's only expansion worth mentioning in the last 11 years is Incarna. You know, the one that everyone thought was just the worst thing ever.

When I said like 10 pages ago that you would convince yourself of literally anything to hold onto your WiS dream I had no idea how right I was.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#384 - 2014-05-15 21:23:01 UTC
"no changes to the spaceships in this spaceship game could ever be considered an expansion. it only counts if you can change your bra"

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Shelby Dusette
Division 13
#385 - 2014-05-15 21:24:50 UTC
Sorry, all I heard was ...

Khanh'rhh wrote:
**** yeah. Put me down for $1000, I'm good for it.

Can't wait for adjustable bras!

Little Dragon Khamez
#386 - 2014-05-15 21:40:25 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
k

By your logic, then, eve has never had an expansion. I must say eve is doing well for an 11 year old game with no expansions.

Wait..
heh

No it's worse than that. In your mind eve's only expansion worth mentioning in the last 11 years is Incarna. You know, the one that everyone thought was just the worst thing ever.

When I said like 10 pages ago that you would convince yourself of literally anything to hold onto your WiS dream I had no idea how right I was.

Yet another straw man and a very poor attempt to conflate present conditions with previous ones.

I remember when eve had real expansions that genuinely expanded game play in new directions such as pi as I say those days have gone, and it's all thanks to the fis only crowd.

Little Dragon Khamez
#387 - 2014-05-15 21:41:26 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
"no changes to the spaceships in this spaceship game could ever be considered an expansion. it only counts if you can change your bra"

I don't wear one.

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#388 - 2014-05-15 21:51:47 UTC
I don't need one either.

Is the one advantage to having petite, yet firm puppies with zero sag. Cool

Plus my jacket and flightsuit have a kinda inbuilt "support" system anyway. Very handy for the pixellated woman on the go in today's New Eden.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#389 - 2014-05-15 21:54:30 UTC
What WiS needs is total removal from the code base so I can get several gigs of wasted drive space back.
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#390 - 2014-05-15 22:06:52 UTC
KIller Wabbit wrote:
What WiS needs is total removal from the code base so I can get several gigs of wasted drive space back.

Actually that's not a bad idea - we should modulise all of EVE so we don't have to suffer the parts of the universe we don't personally interact with. I'd like to see industry and trade removed from the code or shifted to another server, probably all of nullsec too along with it's inhabitants, and certainly NPC forum alts.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#391 - 2014-05-15 23:15:23 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
k

Wait..
heh

Yet another straw man and a very poor attempt to conflate present conditions with previous ones.

I remember when eve had real expansions that genuinely expanded game play in new directions such as pi as I say those days have gone, and it's all thanks to the fis only crowd.

So your real and honest opinion is that PI, a badly implemented and unfinished mini-game / RSI generator, that takes place on a planet, is more of an 'expansion' than changing the very nature of every asset (and ergo all combat) in Eve and opening up new regions of space and whatever is in them?

This is what you literally believe?

Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#392 - 2014-05-16 00:36:22 UTC

Hmm, while I'm a WiS supporter, I'm not sure this is quite right. Everyone wants the space game to be great, even people who also want WiS, the reason CCP re-focussed on FiS is because it had been neglected for a while and things had come to a head, and the piddly, gameplay-free abortion that was presented as WiS, along with its being forced, and hangar taken away (and several other things) only added insult to injury - so CCP had to pull their fingers out of their arses pdq and get with the programme.

Which they did, and are doing, and doing rather well these days.

Also, any new direction gameplay is going to go in EVE is going to be focussed on player interaction by default. The days are long gone when interaction with the NPC world mattered - the last vestiges of that, of EVE being anything like Elite, with lots of NPC interaction as well as player interaction, died with the Agent quality revamp.

Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#393 - 2014-05-16 01:08:20 UTC
If CCP initiated a crowdsourcing campaign to pay for WiS, I'd certainly pledge.

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Little Dragon Khamez
#394 - 2014-05-16 07:24:20 UTC
KIller Wabbit wrote:

Nice dress you're wearing...

Little Dragon Khamez
#395 - 2014-05-16 07:44:07 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:
k

Wait..
heh

So your real and honest opinion is that PI, a badly implemented and unfinished mini-game / RSI generator, that takes place on a planet, is more of an 'expansion' than changing the very nature of every asset (and ergo all combat) in Eve and opening up new regions of space and whatever is in them?

This is what you literally believe?

It was just one example taken straight of the top of my head of an expansion that introduced new game play, but I imagine you don't care for that either. Why don't you just strip everything from the game that isn't ships fighting in space, you'd strip several gig from the client, could download it in minutes and by default everybody would be forced to engage in your play style, you'd have a blast for about ten minutes I'm sure.

You need to ask yourself why ccp introduced all of these things in the first place as opposed to just sticking with ship pvp, the obvious answer is that they saw eve as something beyond that, a complete science fiction simulator, all I'm asking is that instead of guys like you holding ccp to ransom with threats to unsub and endless whine, how about you actually get on board with ccp's future vision and stop blocking their attempts to finish it.

eve was at its best when it was growing in new and interesting ways, what the fis only crowd has done is to halt growth completely in more ways than one. On the plus side though it did allow ccp of the hook for a couple of years, freeing them up to work on wod and dust/valkyrie as you guys had clearly decided that eve was complete and didn't need anything more than ship balancing and the odd tweak, here or there.

Congratulations you got what wanted.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#396 - 2014-05-16 08:53:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
KIller Wabbit wrote:

Let's start with your avatar. Can you please petition to CCP to delete it from the server and nuke the dress you're wearing from your inventory?

Edit: wanted to respond to this:
Ubat Batuk wrote:
I disagree, WiS has to be a lot more than showing off a dress. The dress is a cosmetic item, just like showing the turret on the ship. No real value.

Actually there's plenty value to displaying turrets on a ship.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Xeator
soldiers.fi
#397 - 2014-05-16 09:03:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Xeator
Oh look its the bittervets bitching about how poor of an implementation WIS was, once again...

I hate to be a part of the minority that supports WIS fully, and especially being only a 1 year vet it doesnt make it any easier. Even the CSM elections, nobody fully supported WIS. Some were indifferent, most were against it.

We need more people concerned about WIS making noise! Dont let the bittervets stomp us into oblivion.

Now after the Legion announcement I hope they finally get around to expanding WIS as well. I would totally pledge money for further development of WIS.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#398 - 2014-05-16 09:11:10 UTC
You need to ask yourself why ccp introduced all of these things in the first place as opposed to just sticking with ship pvp, the obvious answer is that they saw eve as something beyond that, a complete science fiction simulator, all I'm asking is that instead of guys like you holding ccp to ransom with threats to unsub and endless whine, how about you actually get on board with ccp's future vision and stop blocking their attempts to finish it.

I'm very on-board with CCP's future vision. Unfortunately for you, and as they have shown and stated many times, it doesn't include WiS.

This seems to be the same inconvenient truth you've been stuck on for a while now.
Quote:
It was just one example taken straight of the top of my head of an expansion that introduced new game play, but I imagine you don't care for that either

Sorry to have rushed you buddy.
Could you take your time, then, and think of an 'expansion' in the last 11 years that you are super-sure counts as an expansion? Because all of them involve "just changing ships and adding space and stuff" which you claimed isn't an expansion.

Little Dragon Khamez
#399 - 2014-05-16 21:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Sorry to have rushed you buddy.
Could you take your time, then, and think of an 'expansion' in the last 11 years that you are super-sure counts as an expansion? Because all of them involve "just changing ships and adding space and stuff" which you claimed isn't an expansion.

That's not what I claimed at all. 'Just changing ships and adding space and stuff'' are your words not mine.

changing numbers in a database and calling it ship balancing is not an expansion of game play, it's the same old game play re-presented in a different way. When you can do new things in the client that's an expansion, which is why I pointed out PI as the rather obvious example of doing new things in the client.

I did start to list things, but it's much easier to direct you to this page. You can see where the 'expansions' of gameplay took place for yourself.

It might be easier if you just responded to this post instead of ignoring the core argument.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4598046#post4598046

How is doing the same old thing with a bigger map an expansion?

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#400 - 2014-05-16 22:55:28 UTC
Well you said "mark my words" and I did. Specifically:
It can't be called an expansion when all it offers is the old gameplay in a new form

So let us take a nice little look at eve's expansions and see whether they pass your litmus test for "being an expansion"

Castor:
****IS AN EXPANSION!****
Added missions, loads of new things to do.

Exodus:
Welp.
In what is going to become common, this isn't an expansion. Just lets you perform the same gameplay actions in different scenarios.

Cold war:
Not an expansion, just adds extra PVE (same gameplay) and ships.

RMR:
Noooooope. Just some more ships 'n' stuff, tweaked stats on character pages.

Bloodlines:
Nope. Tweaking numbers again.

Rev 1:
****IS AN EXPANSION!****
Scan ****, yo! That's new.

Rev 2:
Nope.

Trinity:
New face to the same old gameplay, and some more ships and stat tweaks.

Empyrean age:
Not an expansion. FW is just the same gameplay.

QR:
Stats/ships/etc

Apoc:
Not an expansion, new stargates into new unknown space isn't an expansion, as per your post. Rest of the expansion is just ships and stats.

Dominion:
Organisational changes, ships, stats. Not an expansion

Tyrannis:
****IS AN EXPANSION!****
New feature: get RSI from a bolted-on minigame, that offers no actual gameplay other than being a click magnet.

Incursion:
Nope, just ships, stats, some PVE changes.

Incarna:
****IS AN EXPANSION!****
New features: a store no-one wanted, barbies that can't leave their room, warm plastic in-place of your GPU.

Everything since: ships / stat tweaks.

So in your own terms Eve has only had 3 expansions (2 if you quite rightly discount the leaving-beta changes as an expansion). Both of which were unpopular.

You know, maybe you're seeing this all wrong, because under your own definitions 'expansions' are bad for eve online. CCP should clearly stick to not offering "new gameplay" and instead stick to what has worked in the past.

Or, and this is just an idea, maybe it's ridiculous to play down Eve's future vision as "just old gameplay in a new form" when that's been the core of Eve since it's inception.