These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Announcement regarding rewards and prizes to fansites and third-party contributors

First post First post First post
Author
Frying Doom
#1341 - 2013-11-04 10:14:19 UTC
You missed Somer having direct access to CCP Devs via Skype

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Tina Tin Tits
Doomheim
#1342 - 2013-11-04 10:55:07 UTC

And perhaps worse than ANY of it...

... rather than addressing it, trying to ignore it until it blows over, by ignoring angry players in this 68 page thread, blogs, twitter and just about everywhere else.

Unbelievable arrogance.

Our memories are not as short as you hope, CCP...
Dark Magni
The Church of Awesome
#1343 - 2013-11-04 11:30:20 UTC
The hilarious thing about this is CCP is actually, and really really overtly, just ignoring us lol.

Somerblink is still RMTing in 1b chunks btw, CCP are so kind to give them a bonus 7 days RMT time. Nobody else gets that.
The Legendary Soldier
United.
#1344 - 2013-11-04 14:49:57 UTC
Dark Magni wrote:
The hilarious thing about this is CCP is actually, and really really overtly, just ignoring us lol.

If by hilarious you mean disgusting, then yes...

Business 101 tells you it is much easier to keep a customer than to find a new one... ^^

Need to place a high-sec POS? Premade corps for sale, or your corps standings boosted. Trading since January 2012. Many corps sold/boosted - see my thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=63128&find=unread

Opia Munba
mss industry
#1345 - 2013-11-04 15:32:27 UTC
Thank you for your email. I can confirm that we are in the process of shutting down incentive programs that some GTC sellers have been using to promote their wares, not least because of the controversy they have generated recently. This will be happening shortly and various sellers and their affiliates are reacting in various ways to the news, as you have noticed. It‘s unfortunate, but ultimately their own decision, taken in light of CCP‘s stance going forward.

I‘m sorry to hear of your departure from EVE and I hope you will consider rejoining us at some point in the future. Thank you for playing and for voicing your concerns.

I`m out 07 laters
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1346 - 2013-11-04 17:23:18 UTC
At this point I'm just shitposting until my subs run out.

The number and scale of the crappy things CCP have done recently is simply too much for me, and transforms this game into something I no longer wish to play (let alone pay for)
Frying Doom
#1347 - 2013-11-04 21:22:34 UTC
Well I can answer one of the CSMs survey questions

Q: I run a business in EvE Online milking all of the players for as much RL cash as I can get out of the suckers, should CCP reward me with in-game gifts, Cash or other awards?

A: CCP should follow its EULA and kick you into last week with the ban hammer.

P.S. Lost one CSM if found please return to the players it is meant to represent.Lol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Kinis Deren
Mosquito Squadron
D0GS OF WAR
#1348 - 2013-11-04 23:12:42 UTC
Kirren D'marr wrote:
Since most of the activity on this seems to have shifted threads for the time being, I made this post over there, but I'll repeat part of it here as an open invitation for anyone interested:

Kirren D'marr wrote:
You hit the nail on the head here but somehow arrived at the completely wrong conclusion: SOMER Blink was "conduct[ing] business," which is clearly against the EULA. They've been running a business which has reportedly grossed well over $135,000; a business which is promoted and utilized through their in-game activities (exchange of ISK and items). How is this not a violation? What possible defense is there for this?

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, here is the relevant passage from the EULA:

Quote:
Accounts may not be used for business purposes. Access to the System and playing EVE is intended for your personal entertainment, enjoyment and recreation, and not for corporate, business, commercial or income-seeking activities. Business entities and anyone who is acting for or on behalf of a business or for business purposes may not establish an Account, access the System or play EVE. Accessing the System or using the Game for commercial, business or income-seeking purposes is strictly prohibited.

Frankly, I'm shocked that Somer et al. were not banned outright once the truth of their business came to light. Just because CCP not only permitted, but also endorsed this operation in the past does not mean that they cannot turn around now and take appropriate action.

I would recommend that all players who are upset over this issue begin issuing petitions reporting Somerset Mahm and all other characters associated with this business as being in violation of the EULA. Cite the business clause, and point to the relevant articles that illustrate the business connection.

If people make enough of a stink about this, then just maybe CCP will actually take action (I know it's a longshot, but at this point, it's about all I can come up with).

Since Pandora's Box has been completely blown open, I hope that CCP will be issuing ultimatums to TMdC since that site is paying contributors with ISK in exchange for advert revenue resulting from page views. The owners/editorial team also fall into the category of EVE players running a business.
Kirren D'marr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1349 - 2013-11-05 04:19:44 UTC
Kinis Deren wrote:
Kirren D'marr wrote:
Since most of the activity on this seems to have shifted threads for the time being, I made this post over there, but I'll repeat part of it here as an open invitation for anyone interested:

Kirren D'marr wrote:
You hit the nail on the head here but somehow arrived at the completely wrong conclusion: SOMER Blink was "conduct[ing] business," which is clearly against the EULA. They've been running a business which has reportedly grossed well over $135,000; a business which is promoted and utilized through their in-game activities (exchange of ISK and items). How is this not a violation? What possible defense is there for this?

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, here is the relevant passage from the EULA:

Quote:
Accounts may not be used for business purposes. Access to the System and playing EVE is intended for your personal entertainment, enjoyment and recreation, and not for corporate, business, commercial or income-seeking activities. Business entities and anyone who is acting for or on behalf of a business or for business purposes may not establish an Account, access the System or play EVE. Accessing the System or using the Game for commercial, business or income-seeking purposes is strictly prohibited.

Frankly, I'm shocked that Somer et al. were not banned outright once the truth of their business came to light. Just because CCP not only permitted, but also endorsed this operation in the past does not mean that they cannot turn around now and take appropriate action.

I would recommend that all players who are upset over this issue begin issuing petitions reporting Somerset Mahm and all other characters associated with this business as being in violation of the EULA. Cite the business clause, and point to the relevant articles that illustrate the business connection.

If people make enough of a stink about this, then just maybe CCP will actually take action (I know it's a longshot, but at this point, it's about all I can come up with).

Since Pandora's Box has been completely blown open, I hope that CCP will be issuing ultimatums to TMdC since that site is paying contributors with ISK in exchange for advert revenue resulting from page views. The owners/editorial team also fall into the category of EVE players running a business.

If anyone was receiving real life money in exchange for this ISK or the activities of the site, you might have a point. However, I don't believe that is the case, so you may be hard pressed to prove they fall under the same issue. I haven't looked into it, so I could be wrong, but that is my assumption.

Why a switch on/off? Because the new animation doesn't add anything to gameplay and it's graphically annoying. In other words, it's worse than bad: it's useless. Simple as that.     _ - Kina Ayami_

Kate stark
#1350 - 2013-11-05 06:29:58 UTC
the last update was 3 weeks ago.

What gives? either CCP simply don't give a **** and aren't doing anything, or they don't care enough to keep us informed. either way it's showing a great deal of "meh, i don't care" on ccp's part regardless of what they are or aren't doing.

is it really too much to as for a simple update three weeks since the last one? it doesn't take three weeks to knock up a completely bias survey... although it might take more than 3 weeks to wait for all the unfavourable participants to unsub i guess...

i think CCP's lack of response is irking me more than the stupidity of the initial problem at this point.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

The Legendary Soldier
United.
#1351 - 2013-11-05 09:02:13 UTC
Kate stark wrote:

i think CCP's lack of response is irking me more than the stupidity of the initial problem at this point.

^ This.

Need to place a high-sec POS? Premade corps for sale, or your corps standings boosted. Trading since January 2012. Many corps sold/boosted - see my thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=63128&find=unread

Dark Magni
The Church of Awesome
#1352 - 2013-11-05 09:04:06 UTC
Kate stark wrote:
the last update was 3 weeks ago.

What gives? either CCP simply don't give a **** and aren't doing anything, or they don't care enough to keep us informed. either way it's showing a great deal of "meh, i don't care" on ccp's part regardless of what they are or aren't doing.

is it really too much to as for a simple update three weeks since the last one? it doesn't take three weeks to knock up a completely bias survey... although it might take more than 3 weeks to wait for all the unfavourable participants to unsub i guess...

I totally agree.

I find CCP's policy of ignoring everyone, locking all ancillary threads etc more annoying now.
Melissa Morada
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1353 - 2013-11-05 10:50:56 UTC

I set several accounts to expire, and then replied to a subscription reminder with reasons why I was not renewing.

I received a reasonably helpful response from CCP Falcon, which of course I will not post here.

However, I will say that he does appear to expect this matter to be resolved to the satisfaction of the community.

I hope he is right...

That said, I still think that not updating customers for 3 or 4 weeks is very bad business practice which will result in a certain amount of damage to the CCP brand.

I have responded stating that I think it would be helpful to post in this thread...
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1354 - 2013-11-05 11:08:07 UTC
Melissa Morada wrote:

I set several accounts to expire, and then replied to a subscription reminder with reasons why I was not renewing.

I received a reasonably helpful response from CCP Falcon, which of course I will not post here.

However, I will say that he does appear to expect this matter to be resolved to the satisfaction of the community.

I hope he is right...

That said, I still think that not updating customers for 3 or 4 weeks is very bad business practice which will result in a certain amount of damage to the CCP brand.

I have responded stating that I think it would be helpful to post in this thread...

What definition of "community" was he using though.

CCP seem to think somer are a "community" service, after all.
Frying Doom
#1355 - 2013-11-05 11:31:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
removed

corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1356 - 2013-11-05 13:20:02 UTC
Melissa Morada wrote:

I hope he is right...

Unsubbed all my guys today wonder if i will get a nice mail from him
YesYes NoNoNo
Karmic Rebalance
#1357 - 2013-11-05 15:33:11 UTC
Melissa Morada wrote:

I hope he is right...

I'm sure they think what they did is "to the satisfaction of the community" - giving them 10 days to cash out, and finish up RMT'ing while blatantly ignoring the community.
Kirren D'marr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1358 - 2013-11-05 16:22:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Kirren D'marr
At this point, I think it is going to be very difficult for CCP to resolve this "to the satisfaction of the community," especially considering how much dissatisfaction they have generated in the past few weeks just by being completely silent on the matter. Even if they were to fix everything else today, I think the lack of communication up to now would be enough alone to alienate a good portion of the community.

If they want to stand a chance of satisfying those who haven't left already, then they had better start talking to us.

Why a switch on/off? Because the new animation doesn't add anything to gameplay and it's graphically annoying. In other words, it's worse than bad: it's useless. Simple as that.     _ - Kina Ayami_

Kate stark
#1359 - 2013-11-05 18:26:27 UTC
I don't think this whole thing has a "solution" as in, to fix what has been done.

I think the solution here is simply to stop it happening again. CCP can't just remove 30 scorpions as they've likely been sold and it'd just be more hassle than it's worth and generally a waste of time. the RMT issue has more or less been addressed.
The issue is that there's nothing to stop this from happening again and until ccp wastes our time with some surveys, that I predict will be largely irrelevant and provide very limited insight, i doubt we will get any kind of response, let alone resolution.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Anya Klibor
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1360 - 2013-11-05 19:51:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Anya Klibor
Surveys can be misleading to begin with, and no matter how you answer it will give the surveyor an out. For instance ,a question could be:

Q: Do you think RMT is bad?

A1: Yes
A2: No
A3: Maybe
A4: I FOUND THE MOTHERFUCKING CHUPACABRA!

That could be the only question. No matter what, they come back and go, "The community has spoken, and apparently someone found the chupacabra."

That is why I take surveys with a grain of salt. As far as I'm concerned, the lack of a public response is what is driving this like it is, and it far more telling.

And CCP has a good point: ignore it, it starts to die off. Look at how this thread took off to begin with, and how it's still gaining pages now. It's slower. Much slower. Maybe it's because a lot of people did let their accounts lapse. Who knows?

Leadership is something you learn. Maybe one day, you'll learn that.