These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Heavy Missile Launchers

First post First post
Author
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#281 - 2013-10-14 18:40:27 UTC
RHML find their use very precisely in BS vs smaller ships. Buffing their range would make them overlap cruise missiles, which is not the goal here.

I invite every one of you to read this brilliant article concerning RHML analysis with actual stats, graphs, and analysis, before making any undocumented feedback on the subject :
http://themittani.com/features/rapid-heavy-missile-launcher-analysis

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Morniee
Barbs Hammer
Xenta.
#282 - 2013-10-14 18:51:52 UTC
Shocked Before you add a new module, witch is a GREAT idea, and i personaly love it....
Can CCP please explain why, you are not fixing the Heavy missile itself, instead of doing it later, just to realize that Rapid HML are OP after that?... Ask any one! What they think of the Heavy Missile... Its damage aplication is garbage... And damage mediocre.

Please Fix the ammo, then build the mod....
Demotress
Systems High Guard
Tactical Narcotics Team
#283 - 2013-10-14 18:56:14 UTC
is any ship gonna get a bonus to these so they arent just crap?
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#284 - 2013-10-14 19:00:26 UTC
Demotress wrote:
is any ship gonna get a bonus to these so they arent just crap?

You get the damage bonus (and RoF) not the rest.

I agree with this decision since other bonuses would make the launcher too OP. (Imagine a typhoon bonus on these...)

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#285 - 2013-10-14 19:15:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Altrue wrote:
RHML find their use very precisely in BS vs smaller ships. Buffing their range would make them overlap cruise missiles, which is not the goal here.

I invite every one of you to read this brilliant article concerning RHML analysis with actual stats, graphs, and analysis, before making any undocumented feedback on the subject :
http://themittani.com/features/rapid-heavy-missile-launcher-analysis

No, it would not. The un-bonused range of cruise missiles is 148.1km; it's 62.9km for heavy missiles. Even with the full +50% missile velocity bonus you're talking about a range of 222.15km for cruise missiles and 94.35km for heavy missiles. Then there's the additional +10% velocity bonus cruise missiles have over heavy missiles. This is before the missile velocity on most battleship hulls, which makes cruise missiles twice as fast as heavy missiles.

And yes, I have thoroughly read and reviewed the article - and agree with the author on most points and his excellent analysis. However, it doesn't take into consideration specific hulls that have an inherent explosion radius (Raven Navy Issue) or explosion velocity (Typhoon) bonus - which makes cruise missiles quite deadly.

Where you see the "overlap" escapes me, because RHMLs are clearly mid-range weapons (both in terms of range and speed). The current proposal for RHMLs solely relegate them to hulls with damage or rate of fire bonuses. The only setup where RHMLs make sense is on something like a Typhoon or Scorpion Navy Issue - which don't have a missile velocity bonus and where you get the equivalent of 8 RHMLs with full skills. Then you could run three hydraulic rigs and hit out to 96.2km with a 105m explosion radius (but this would really come at the expense of any tank).

RHMLs need to receive the missile velocity bonuses as well.

Altrue wrote:
You get the damage bonus (and RoF) not the rest.
I agree with this decision since other bonuses would make the launcher too OP. (Imagine a typhoon bonus on these...)

The consensus is that the explosion radius and velocity bonuses would be too OP, but not the range bonus. Including the latter simply gives long-range platforms the option to utilize RHMLs to some extent. I still don't think most of you appreciate that even with the +50% missile velocity bonus these still have half the range and 80% of the DPS of cruise missiles.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Heinky
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#286 - 2013-10-14 20:06:04 UTC
Shaqil's Modified Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher (50 / 1060 / 5.96s)

Where can i find some more Shaqil mods?

&

Does this means officer launchers get more expensive?
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#287 - 2013-10-14 20:13:25 UTC
besides deleting them before you have introduced them which is what you should do ....
why does it need so many OP faction/officer/deadspace versions?

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#288 - 2013-10-14 22:29:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Harvey James wrote:
besides deleting them before you have introduced them which is what you should do ....
why does it need so many OP faction/officer/deadspace versions?

I only see regular, faction and officer. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Deadspace version...

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#289 - 2013-10-15 00:06:50 UTC
Are these up on the test server yet?

XvXTeacherVxV
Be Nice Inc.
Prismatic Legion
#290 - 2013-10-15 03:07:44 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Forgot to mention something important - Battleships with Damage bonuses (like Raven and Typhoon rate of fire) will have those bonuses applied to the new launchers. Any bonuses to damage projection or application will NOT be applied (such as Raven missile velocity or Typhoon explosion velocity).

Jayne Fillon wrote:
I'm currently running the numbers on the new ships, but the bonus to explosion radius and velocity from the RNI and Typhoon seems like an oversight imho. I'll confirm this once I actually run the numbers, but I'm suspicious that without these bonuses the new missiles will come across as an afterthought, not an alternative.

I have to agree with Jayne here, I like the idea of these but I don't think they're being executed properly if you have to gimp ship bonuses to make them work. Were these launchers on the drawing board when you were rebalancing battleships? It doesn't seem like it if you're not going to let some of them use their bonuses.If a Typhoon applies too much damage because of it's bonus, then perhaps its the launchers that need adjustment or maybe the typhoon needs a different hull bonus.

Look at it this way:

Raven + RHML + hull bonus = overpowered.
Raven + RHML + no hull bonus = fine.
Armageddon + RHML + hull bonus = overpowered... right?

No, the Armageddon doesn't get a projection or range bonus, but it still gets to apply all of the bonuses that come from the hull when fitting RHMLs. Same thing with the fleet typhoon, navy scorpion, aren't these ships now overpowered if these launchers are so badass that you have to kill additional projection/range bonuses?

I'm not saying that they are or aren't overpowered, it just seems inconsistent to let some ships take full advantage of fitting them while others can't.
Can you see the rapier?: http://imgur.com/aFelCpv,GH6lqDE
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#291 - 2013-10-15 03:18:09 UTC
XvXTeacherVxV wrote:
I'm not saying that they are or aren't overpowered, it just seems inconsistent to let some ships take full advantage of fitting them while others can't.

Yes it does, which is why RHMLs should receive the missile velocity bonuses as well. The numbers bear out that explosion velocity and explosion radius are simply too powerful (much as I like the idea of my Raven Navy Issue having RHMLs that can 1-shot frigates).

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#292 - 2013-10-15 08:31:08 UTC
XvXTeacherVxV wrote:

There's plenty of this inconsistency with RLMLs.

The Caracal has bonuses to LM velocity and RLML ROF.
The Navy Osprey has bonuses to LM damage but not velocity.
The Navy Caracal has bonuses to RLML ROF but not LM explosion radius
The Cerberus has bonuses to RLML ROF, damage, velocity and flight time

The inconsistency isn't bad, it's just a balancing tool, like some hull having kinetic-only damage bonuses.
Dav Varan
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#293 - 2013-10-15 08:35:38 UTC
Sort out heavy missiles first before you make a balancing problem for yourself in the future.
Heavies need a 15% boost to bring them back in line with the boosted medium guns that they were previously "balanced" with before last patch.

Edwin McAlister
Empire Hooligans
#294 - 2013-10-15 08:36:22 UTC
I played with these on the test server,

was entertaining,

ran a few missions

I flat out obliterated the cruiser and smaller class ships,

however vs battleships, it took forever for me to kill them,

I used a fairly standard T2 fitted navy raven in the missions

had 3 Ballistic control, for improved damage, did not have a target painter or web of any type, I used standard CN faction missiles

I was just curious, overall I like it,

I can do very nice damage to small and crappy to large targets or the opposite, can not have both, which I am quite satisfied with.
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#295 - 2013-10-15 08:46:05 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Altrue wrote:
stuff

The un-bonused range of cruise missiles is 148.1km; it's 62.9km for heavy missiles. Even with the full +50% missile velocity bonus you're talking about a range of 222.15km for cruise missiles and 94.35km for heavy missiles. Then there's the additional +10% velocity bonus cruise missiles have over heavy missiles. This is before the missile velocity on most battleship hulls, which makes cruise missiles twice as fast as heavy missiles.

[...]

Where you see the "overlap" escapes me, because RHMLs are clearly mid-range weapons (both in terms of range and speed). The current proposal for RHMLs solely relegate them to hulls with damage or rate of fire bonuses.

I agree with you when you say that even with range bonuses, heavy missiles would still leave plenty of "range" for cruise missiles.
But you have to consider the fact that almost nobody snipes at more than 150km, and even less with cruise missiles, since at this range you cannot slow down your target, paint it, and warp scramble it. You do ridiculous damages, and people can warp to you, it's even more true now with warp speed changes.

So even if the theoretical range is 222km, in practice you won't see much use after 150km I guess, and I would more say 100.
So that's why I say it's overlapping with cruise missiles. :)

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#296 - 2013-10-15 14:54:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Altrue wrote:
I agree with you when you say that even with range bonuses, heavy missiles would still leave plenty of "range" for cruise missiles.
But you have to consider the fact that almost nobody snipes at more than 150km, and even less with cruise missiles, since at this range you cannot slow down your target, paint it, and warp scramble it. You do ridiculous damages, and people can warp to you, it's even more true now with warp speed changes.

So even if the theoretical range is 222km, in practice you won't see much use after 150km I guess, and I would more say 100.
So that's why I say it's overlapping with cruise missiles. :)

Well, let's consider that for a moment. A cruise missile traveling at 10575 m/s (max skills, bonuses) takes 6 seconds to hit targets @60km while a heavy missile traveling at 6450 m/s (max skills) with RHMLs takes 10 seconds. It's not just the range, it's the abysmal speed - and this translates into higher rates of wasted ammunition and target micromanagement.

The hulls that don't receive a missile velocity bonus are typically short to mid-range platforms, and RHMLs will be comparable with cruise missile and torpedo speeds (heavy missiles will actually be marginally faster than cruise missiles).

It's blatantly unfair that every hull except the Raven Navy Issue and Rattlesnake receives a missile bonus to apply to RHMLs. This also limits RHMLs to essentially short-range defensive weapons on both when you consider the ranges they normally operate at. As I've previously pointed out, with three rigors on a RNI I have almost the same performance, 20% more DPS and 3 times the range with cruise missiles. With precision ammunition, I have superior performance and still more than twice the range.

Incidentally, I run a lot of my L4s at ranges of 150km or more.

XvXTeacherVxV
Be Nice Inc.
Prismatic Legion
#297 - 2013-10-15 16:20:58 UTC  |  Edited by: XvXTeacherVxV
CCP Rise wrote:
Forgot to mention something important - Battleships with Damage bonuses (like Raven and Typhoon rate of fire) will have those bonuses applied to the new launchers. Any bonuses to damage projection or application will NOT be applied (such as Raven missile velocity or Typhoon explosion velocity).

My biggest problem with the fact that these mods ignore some hull bonuses is that it makes it totally irrelevant how far you've trained your battleship skill with some ships. Anybody with Caldari Battleship 2 has the same effectiveness on Raven Navy Issue as someone with Caldari Battleship 5. THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

Maybe the solution is that these hull bonuses are only half as effective with RHMLs, but there should be SOMETHING that pilots get out of actually training their battleship skills up. EDIT: My suggestion is to build in a 50% effectiveness with hull bonuses to their mods themselves, so ALL hull bonuses affect the launchers equally, but only half as much as they do cruises and torps.

You even have an easy explanation from a lore perspective "These systems were not initially designed for battleships so they don't integrate as easily as other battleship launchers."
Can you see the rapier?: http://imgur.com/aFelCpv,GH6lqDE
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#298 - 2013-10-15 16:26:31 UTC
XvXTeacherVxV wrote:
My biggest problem with the fact that these mods ignore some hull bonuses is that it makes it totally irrelevant how far you've trained your battleship skill with some ships. Anybody with Caldari Battleship 2 has the same effectiveness on Raven Navy Issue as someone with Caldari Battleship 5. THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

Maybe the solution is that these hull bonuses are only half as effective with RHMLs, but there should be SOMETHING that pilots get out of actually training their battleship skills up.

(cough) ... Missile Velocity ... (cough)

Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#299 - 2013-10-15 19:28:38 UTC
Lasers can be tracking disrupted, optimal disrupted, and neuted.

Autocannons can be tracking and range disrupted.

Blasters and rails can be tracking and range disrupted, as well as neuted.

But missiles? Nope. No form of any effective e-war against missiles. As long as you're in range, they hit, they do damage, and they kill. This is unbalanced, especially with the introduction of new launchers.

Also, don't say "ECM" or "sensor disruption" because those apply to ALL hulls, not just missile boats.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#300 - 2013-10-15 19:31:33 UTC
Nyancat Audeles wrote:

But missiles? Nope. No form of any effective e-war against missiles.

Damps, ECM, Smartbombs.