These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Announcement regarding rewards and prizes to fansites and third-party contributors

First post First post First post
Author
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#301 - 2013-10-11 11:31:58 UTC
tl;dr:

A bunch of whiny "adults" complained something in life isn't fair.
CCP puts on hold a cool reward program until definition of fair can be determined.
Whiny adults continue to whine because they are whiners.

Get over it people, life isn't fair, EVE isn't fair.

HTFU.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#302 - 2013-10-11 11:33:56 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

CCP puts on hold a cool reward program until definition of fair can be determined.

HTFU.

Yes, EVE is fair. Why shouldn't it be? Would you want to play air hockey with the table tilted towards you?

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Azami Nevinyrall
#303 - 2013-10-11 11:43:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Azami Nevinyrall
Is it just me, or am I the only one noticing a running theme here?

A group of people isn't allowed recognition because they run a 3rd party site. But, another group who fought battles and waged wars and massive organized ganks. Which was organized by a groups personal agenda in game, just so happend to get media attention. CCP needs to kiss their ass at every waking moment?

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#304 - 2013-10-11 11:50:08 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

Yes, EVE is fair. Why shouldn't it be? Would you want to play air hockey with the table tilted towards you?

Yes, and I have. It's even more satisfying to win against tilted odds.

These freebie ships have no value other than what people decide to perceive. They don't unbalance the mechanics of the game the way tilting an air hockey table would.

EVE is all about reaping rewards for your actions. You kill a ship, you get isk. You complete a mission you get LP. You conquer a region you get its moons.

...and if you create a popular community site that creates content and gives back support to others in the EVE community, you might get a trinket from CCP. Good for them for having the drive to do it and succeed at it, and good for CCP for rewarding these kinds of organizations.

It's too bad they feel they had to stop because other people have more desire to tear down than build.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Azami Nevinyrall
#305 - 2013-10-11 11:55:23 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

These freebie ships have no value other than what people decide to perceive. They don't unbalance the mechanics of the game the way tilting an air hockey table would.

EVE is all about reaping rewards for your actions. You kill a ship, you get isk. You complete a mission you get LP. You conquer a region you get its moons.

...and if you create a popular community site that creates content and gives back support to others in the EVE community, you might get a trinket from CCP. Good for them for having the drive to do it and succeed at it, and good for CCP for rewarding these kinds of organizations.

It's too bad they feel they had to stop because other people have more desire to tear down than build.

Excuse me while I quote a perfect piece of common sense...

Maximilian Akora
It's just business.
#306 - 2013-10-11 11:59:38 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

And by "support" you mean "give away ingame isk (of which they havr too much of) to gain back RL revenue due to plex sales", of course.
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#307 - 2013-10-11 12:01:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jint Hikaru
War Kitten wrote:

Are you talking about SOMER Blink (However its spelt)?

'creates content' dont make me laugh, the only reason the Blink site was set up is to make the owner ISK, and possibly RL $$$ via PLEX sale endorsements (also do they have advertising on their site???? I dont know).

This is not a site that has been built and maintained 'for the good of the Eve community'

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#308 - 2013-10-11 12:36:59 UTC
CCP Guard, since you're clearly still actively reading and replying to this thread, what are your thoughts on somers - or indeed any third party CCP may deal with in the future - banning and excluding paying subscribers at their own discretion?

It's no secret that people who share an IP address for example - like family, house mates, internet cafes - are banned from somer and not allowed to fairly take part in this recent give away. Are CCP willing to allow third parties to arbitrarily dictate rules and regulations that EVE players must abide to in order to participate in give aways or other events CCP are helping create/sponsor/etc?
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#309 - 2013-10-11 12:43:32 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

eve is quite fair, actually: any advantage a player has over any other player is within the reach of any player, with exceptions few and far between

you're just trying to be the ~contrarian~

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#310 - 2013-10-11 12:46:46 UTC
Yes, it is so terribly criminal and Bad™ to want to make money.

Fake money. In a game.

Um... shame on them?

And what was their reward? Fake spaceships. In a game. Shame on CCP?

Everyone raise your hand if you've never wanted to make any isk. Keep your hand up if you gave away all the isk you ever accidentally made in order to preserve your holier-than-thou image. Anyone with a hand still raised, congratulations on being better than the rest of us playing Eve. You can claim the moral high ground in this "oh noes, they made a profit" discussion.

Again, more whining about people with the motivation and ability to make something happen from those without either.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#311 - 2013-10-11 12:50:54 UTC
No one is arguing against somers - or anyone elses - ability to try and make a profit. That is basically what this entire game is about - ruthless space capitalism.

What we object to are the creators of the game unfairly and arbitrarily stepping in and granting their personal favourites massive advantages to their business or massive personal rewards for succeeding in the game.

That is not how ANY competitive game should ever work.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#312 - 2013-10-11 12:51:15 UTC
Andski wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

eve is quite fair, actually: any advantage a player has over any other player is within the reach of any player, with exceptions few and far between

Creating a for-profit gambling website is also within reach of any player. So is organizing a competitive combat league.

I'm not being contrary for the sake of contrariness. I truly think people are up in arms over nothing and at the root of most all of the complaints is jealousy in one form or another.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#313 - 2013-10-11 12:56:03 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Andski wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

Creating a for-profit gambling website is also within reach of any player. So is organizing a competitive combat league.

I'm not being contrary for the sake of contrariness. I truly think people are up in arms over nothing and at the root of most all of the complaints is jealousy in one form or another.

There are plenty of other for-profit gambling organisations within EVE, there are plenty of groups who organise pvp events. There are plenty of groups who do not organise events but sponsor them. And so on and so forth.

These other ones were not given the same massive boost to what their businesses can offer (i.e. special ships) and were not given direct personal wallet lining gifts (again with special ships).

So claiming "other people can do it" seems a bit empty when other people HAVE done it but haven't been treat the same way.

To resort to just claiming it is "jealousy" is rather childish. It isn't "jealousy" to expect a level playing field in a game
knobber Jobbler
State War Academy
Caldari State
#314 - 2013-10-11 12:58:43 UTC
Callduron wrote:
Total storm in a teacup.

CCP has done nothing wrong and I feel no respect at all for thin-skinned narcissists who get furious any time someone else gets something nice that they don't get.

I'd like to see CCP carry on supporting people who put exceptional effort into the community and if people feel bitter maybe they should consider putting in an outstanding contribution.

Full disclosure: CCP Guard gave me a 30 day new account code at the Feb London meet. Think I got a Quafe bag once too. Encouraging fans is just business sense and helps us fall in love with the game.

OK, so think about this:
What happens if this had taken place in say June and Somer decided to keep all the profits of the ships it was given for its gambling site, and then say gave all those proceeds to an entity you were fighting at that time? Lets say it was 800b ISK to be on the safe side.

There is nothing wrong with encouraging community sites, as long its fair and balanced. However its pretty well known that CCP has a clique of community sites and anyone outside that gets nothing.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#315 - 2013-10-11 13:01:58 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
No one is arguing against somers - or anyone elses - ability to try and make a profit. That is basically what this entire game is about - ruthless space capitalism.

Yes they are. The words "For profit" are creeping into many arguments as if it was an evil thing.

Quote:

What we object to are the creators of the game unfairly and arbitrarily stepping in and granting their personal favourites massive advantages to their business or massive personal rewards for succeeding in the game.

How is it unfair and arbitrary? CCP has explained a couple times why they rewarded the SCL and SOMER employees with these fake spaceships with different paintjobs.

Success breeds success and should be rewarded.

Failure shouldn't be rewarded or subsidized. That just encourages more failure. (Welfare anyone?)

Random lotteries shouldn't be the way to recognize people - does anyone think Joe Schmoe who got his name picked out of a hat is worthy of a reward? No - he just got lucky. Nobody gives a damn.

Success is what should be recognized and rewarded.

Tron 3K
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#316 - 2013-10-11 13:02:32 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Andski wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

Really the jealous reason is old and tired..
Molic Blackbird
Orion Faction Industries
Orion Consortium
#317 - 2013-10-11 13:02:57 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:

In this dev blog prior to Fanfest 2012, we announced that the ISW was not exclusive and would evntually be made available to everyone eventually:

"This leads on to another question, does this mean we will be seeing ship skins for sale in the NeX store or by some other method? That is currently not the plan and is not in development so the short answer is no. The Ishukone Scorpion was already created as the first prototype and Game Design plan to release it to everyone at some stage."

Saying it will be made available to everyone is a very vague statement. Putting on the NeX store would still have made it available to everyone. Also, that statement was made over a year before the IWS was released in greater numbers. Plans change at CCP all the time without any way to know about them. There was no way to know if that was still the plan for the IWS or not. Lastly, a few select community members would not qualify as 'everyone'.
Frying Doom
#318 - 2013-10-11 13:03:59 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Andski wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

Yes it is a form of Jealousy.

Players are jealousy guarding a game that some people have invested years in that some organisations have thousands of pilots collected together in.

What you don't seem to realise or care about is the fact that one organisation was favoured over all most all of the others in EvE and given ships capable to be sold on for hundreds of billions. If we followed that path then what happens if TEST or the Goons start sponsoring in game events for the whole player base and not just their own members?

Would it then be OK for CCP to give PL half a trillion when they started a war, if they had previously sponsored community events?

Yes people are jealous, they are jealous of losing the player driven sand box and the competition it stands for. After all why would anyone want to compete in a sandbox where CCPs flavour of the month suddenly gets a massive injection?

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#319 - 2013-10-11 13:04:26 UTC  |  Edited by: TheGunslinger42
It's rather sad to see the only defense of this boiling down to "you're just jealous because you didn't get stuff!!!"

That's not quite how it works, my dears. Lets imagine we're playing the ol' classic game Counter Strike. Lets say you start your first round, and the admin gives the other team AK47s, while your team are stuck with the pistols.

If you speak out against the admins actions, would it be fair to scream "you're just jealous you didn't get them!"? No, of course it wouldn't. It isn't jealousy, it's about balance and fairness.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#320 - 2013-10-11 13:04:30 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Andski wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
tl;dr:

HTFU.

There are plenty of other for-profit gambling organisations within EVE, there are plenty of groups who organise pvp events. There are plenty of groups who do not organise events but sponsor them. And so on and so forth.

These other ones were not given the same massive boost to what their businesses can offer (i.e. special ships) and were not given direct personal wallet lining gifts (again with special ships).

So claiming "other people can do it" seems a bit empty when other people HAVE done it but haven't been treat the same way.

To resort to just claiming it is "jealousy" is rather childish. It isn't "jealousy" to expect a level playing field in a game

You're right... everyone should get a blue ribbon and a plaque for participation.

Trophies for everyone!

That would be meaningful.