These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Warp Speed and Acceleration

First post First post
Author
Olaf4862
Dragoon Industries Limited
#81 - 2013-10-02 20:03:32 UTC
I see Eve has finally broke the Warp 2 Barrier. Congratulations P
Mioelnir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#82 - 2013-10-02 20:25:56 UTC
So, I've just flown my usual freighter route in a frig, writing down all the warp distances along the way, rounded to the next full au. From station to station it is 26 warps, average warp length 39.76au, minimum 15au, maximum 164au, standard deviation 38.44.

Rough ballpark for freighter warp time based on the old table: 33 minutes 26 seconds
Rough ballpark for freighter warp time based on the new table: 39 minutes 43 seconds
For an overall increase in travel time of 18.8%.

Long warps are so rare in empire space where freighters are flown and not bridged, that the majority of freighter pilots will never experience a faster warp at all. So, a 18.8% buff to afk gameplay I suppose.
None ofthe Above
#83 - 2013-10-02 20:52:24 UTC
Helicity Boson wrote:
CCP Masterplan wrote:
Liam Inkuras wrote:
So are you saying, that I can actually intercept in my interceptor now? Big smile

I know, crazy isn't it? :)

To rephrase:

"So are you saying, that I can actually intercept in my interceptor now?* "

*unless you're a lowsec pirate

What would be the problem here? Gate guns?

If that's the case this won't make things any worse and I think it opens up opportunities, for catching people on celestials and such.

The only end-game content in EVE Online is the crap that makes you rage quit.

Wolf Kyosuke
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2013-10-02 21:06:28 UTC
Is it correct for me to presume that, despite these changes, it is still considered an exploit to avoid concord by warping either on or off grid after ganking a miner in a destroyer even though it would be easier to do now?
Tarn Kugisa
Kugisa Dynamics
#85 - 2013-10-02 21:36:39 UTC
Celebratory video

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to troll everyone you meet - KuroVolt

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#86 - 2013-10-02 21:53:31 UTC
Wolf Kyosuke wrote:
Is it correct for me to presume that, despite these changes, it is still considered an exploit to avoid concord by warping either on or off grid after ganking a miner in a destroyer even though it would be easier to do now?

Since align times aren't changing, it's not easier to avoid CONCORD in this fashion. But either way, avoiding CONCORD is still an exploit.
Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#87 - 2013-10-02 22:06:10 UTC
Fozzie plz add to the Warp Core Stabilizers extra warp speed bonus to make them sexy again Cool

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#88 - 2013-10-02 22:10:29 UTC  |  Edited by: M1k3y Koontz
Ripard Teg wrote:
All hail my favorite things about Rubicon so far. Big smile

^ This. I heard this idea somewhere, it may have been Jester's Trek, and thought, "That's brilliant, wish CCP would do that"

And now it has happened. Love you long time Fozzie ♥

Only downside, no more bios in warp Ugh worth it though Big smile

Probably my favorite feature other than the super-sexy ship models (I'm looking at you SOE).

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#89 - 2013-10-02 22:14:24 UTC

Loved your post, welp at least this part Lol

Everything else I actually haven't read it completely but yep, it's cool and makes sense. Pirate

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Zanquis
Hynix Galactic Industry
#90 - 2013-10-02 22:17:07 UTC
A few questions if I may,

What arrribute will govern how fast a ship will accelerate to their max warp speed?

Items that have a high top speed do not necessarly accelerate quickly, and the reverse is also true. however this solution seems to present faster warp speeds as faster acceleration. seperating thr two creats some interesting ship options for warp.

Will a ships max warp speed, and it's ability to reach max warp be two seperate attributes in thr new design?

Also I saw no mention of the capacitor cost to warp a given distance involved in the change. Perhaps this ahould be take. Into consideration if an interceptor is to warp a long distance in order to catch a prey.

Thanks,
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#91 - 2013-10-02 22:32:51 UTC
Since we are on the warp thing. Has there been any thought about any game play during warp? Strange question I know, but when I'm in the same warp tunnel as someone I don't like...
FistyMcBumBasher
State War Academy
Caldari State
#92 - 2013-10-02 22:34:24 UTC
I really like these changes, they are definitely going to shake up the meta even more.
Kadassh
Perkone
Caldari State
#93 - 2013-10-02 22:42:08 UTC
Can you guys provide some data about the time it takes to warp these distances with all the available modules/implants installed that would influence its warp speed on an interceptor?
SMT008
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#94 - 2013-10-02 23:37:23 UTC
Very nice job I have to say, gentlemens !

Cool
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#95 - 2013-10-02 23:54:46 UTC
Is this going to impact fleet warp mechanics, ie if a fleet warps at the same time, fleet warp and everyone is full speed aligned, will the whole fleet still come out of warp together or will the smaller ships land first ?
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#96 - 2013-10-03 00:02:06 UTC
Cage Man wrote:
Is this going to impact fleet warp mechanics, ie if a fleet warps at the same time, fleet warp and everyone is full speed aligned, will the whole fleet still come out of warp together or will the smaller ships land first ?

Fair assumption will be that they will conform to the slowest in the fleet.

but that is just an assumption

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Marsan
#97 - 2013-10-03 00:25:03 UTC
Really what would help is if there were some way to follow ship in warp. Now I think simply hitting a key or activating a module and landing in their safe spot is unbalanced, but maybe if there were a way to align on their course at warp. That would help you narrow down things to a handful of gates, planets or belts without making safe spot useless. Similar to how you can do it now if you zoom in on your target.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Tore Vest
#98 - 2013-10-03 00:43:47 UTC
This is cool Big smile
I beleve a lot of things going to change in low/nullsec now P

R.I.P BS and BC

Long live superfast frigs/destroyers and cruisers Cool

No troll.

Align Planet1
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#99 - 2013-10-03 01:31:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Align Planet1
That Sammy Hagar video brought me back to a time before I had banished Sammy Hagar from memory.

Thanks, Fozzie. Ugh
Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#100 - 2013-10-03 01:31:34 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Before we start, here's the correct music to accompany this thread.

Hello everyone! We're ready now to start posting feedback threads about some Rubicon balance changes, in preparation for the first public version of Rubicon hitting SISI next week!

This thread is going to cover our changes to warp speeds and warp acceleration, which have been rightfully getting a lot of buzz since we unveiled them in the Rubicon announcement live stream.

Previously, in EVE Online:
For anyone that's not aware, at the moment each ship has an attribute called warpSpeedMultiplier that affects its max speed in warp. It is affected by a set of rigs and some Strategic Cruiser subsystems.
In practice this attribute is almost entirely useless because the amount of time you spend accelerating to and decelerating from your max warp speed is currently fixed. At most normal warp distances, ships spend very little (often no) time at max warp speed.
This sucks in a lot of ways. It makes those aforementioned rigs and subsystems useless, it prevents meaningful differentiation between sizes of ships, and it puts hard minimums on how fast we can make any ship warp.

We've wanted to redo this system for a long time, and a failed attempt was actually made back in the leadup to Retribution. For Rubicon, CCP Masterplan has finally freed us from the shackles of a crappy warp acceleration backend, and together we're going to be revamping the balance around warp speeds.

Details!
After the Winter expansion, the same attribute that sets max warp speed will also modify the acceleration and deceleration of the ship at warp, so that a ship that warps fast will actually warp fast.

The current design has the fulcrum set on T1 Cruisers. If you're flying a T1 Cruiser with no modifications to your warp speed you will not notice any difference warping after the patch. Every ship that warps faster than a cruiser will see their acceleration speed up (and therefore see significant reductions in overall time warping) and every ship larger than a cruiser will see their acceleration slow down (and therefore spend more time in warp). The small ships are being sped up by a larger degree than the big ships are being slowed down, so the average warp speed of an EVE ship is going to be getting faster.

It's important to note that this change does not affect align time. This only changes the amount of time a ship spends from when they enter warp (when they become unlockable) until they exit.

We're also creating more distinct levels of warp speed between ship groups (at the moment destroyers, cruiser, BCs and BS all warp the same speed). Most T2 ships will be slightly faster than their T1 versions (more if their role demands it) to reflect their more advanced construction.

The result of these changes will be that gangs of small ships will be able to travel across large areas of space much more quickly to find fights, people will have better decisions available to them when picking the ship to bring to a fight, and clever wings of interceptors or interdictors will be able to loop around ahead of hostile battleship fleets to cut them off.

One other note, ships fleet warping together will continue to warp at the slowest speed of any ship that is involved in the fleet warp. This includes acceleration and deceleration so if you fleet warp you'll continue to land at the same time.

We're strongly considering adding more ways to affect your warp speed at some point in the future, but nothing has been decided on that yet.

Numbers!
Here's a chart of how long it takes for different ships to make warps of different lengths now.

And here's the same chart showing the current design for Rubicon.

One clarification, Tech 3 cruisers will continue to be on parity with T1 cruisers by default, which means they start at 3au/s and with the Gravitation Capacitor subsystem can get as fast as 5.25 (destroyer speed).

You'll notice that we've actually compressed the far sides, so freighters will have a much higher max warp speed and some interceptors are actually losing some max warp speed. In practice though every interceptor will be going much much faster for every normal length warp and we wanted to keep the travel time for freighters in a reasonable range so we're quite confident that both those changes are the right call.

Small ships will be making warps much much faster than before, and larger ships will move with speeds more befitting their massive bulk and power.

The best way to get your heads around these changes is to try them out, so thankfully these changes will be on Singularity with the first public version scheduled for next week. We're always interested in your feedback, but we'll be especially interested in hearing what people think once they've had a chance to try the new warp system for themselves on Sisi.

We're really excited to be able to make these changes and we think they are going to be a very significant positive step for EVE. Let us know what you think in this thread, and look to Sisi next week for your first chance to try them out for yourselves!

Sooo... This means that Marauders will take foreven to align AND to warp.....

Cool and all, but seriously... Don't terribad nerf Marauder mass....please