These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Odyssey 1.1 now on Singularity (new build system feedback)

First post
Author
CCP Gangleri
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2013-08-12 13:49:57 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Habakuk
I'm happy to announce that you can now try out Odyssey 1.1 on Singularity, in addition to quite a bit of content (see Features and Ideas forum) this release also contains some deep changes beneath the surface which is what we in Team Shapeset (CCP Sputnik, CCP Necrogoat, myself and CCP Mephysto) want to talk to you about.

Rough outline of the changes being discussed in this thread:
• New branch architecture - In order to facilitate development efficiency the way code is
managed (branch architecture) within CCP has been changed.
• Removed Nasty - Code refactoring to remove Nasty, a system as old as EVE and very aptly named.
• New build system - To accommodate the above changes Shapeset had to set up a new build system,
the previous one relied on Nasty and would never have been able to support the increased
output required to fully realize the benefits of the new branch architecture. This is the part we are responsible for.

These changes have been in development and testing internally for a while but the real crucible for changes like this is usually in public testing since there is just no way for us to replicate all the different system configurations out there; in short we beseech the good people that frequent Singularity to let us know if things are really OK.

What should you look out for?
• Use the Windows installer and connect to Singularity, post any issues you run into.
• Use the Mac installer and connect to Singularity, post any issues you run into.
• Connect to Singularity using an existing test install, post here if you have any problems updating the client or connecting.
• Connect to Singularity using a copied Tranquility client, post here if you have any problems updating the client or connecting.

Please note that in all the above use cases you will need to manually point the client to Singularity because this is a release candidate build that is set to connect to Tranquility by default, see this wiki entry for instructions. Please post here if you need any further help connecting to Singularity, also note that we are not asking everyone to run all four scenarios but if you are posting feedback please mention which OS version you are using and how the client was installed or updated.

What about other issues?
Any issues or anomalies that occur once the client is started up and connected to a server are unlikely to be caused by the changes listed above and we'd prefer to keep the discussion in this thread focused. If it's anything short of catastrophic failure like repeatable client crashes or lock ups we're probably not going to be of much use resolving them. I recommend starting a separate thread (in Test Server Feedback forum) on such issues to reach the developers involved or checking out the general feedback and bug reporting threads for this build.

Check out my EVE Gate broadcast log for semi-regular updates on various EVE development: https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/CCP%20Gangleri/StatusUpdates

CCP Gangleri
C C P
C C P Alliance
#2 - 2013-08-12 14:13:21 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Gangleri
Known issues:

The Mac launcher payload was broken for a while, if you already patched using a broken payload please follow these instructions before connecting to Singularity to avoid having to download a massive patch again.

1. right click the client, show package contents
  2. browse to /Contents/Resources
  3. rename the EVE Online (broken icon) package here to 'bad package'
  4. show package contents on 'bad package'
  5. show package contents on 'EVE Online'
  6. browse to /Contents/Resources to find another 'EVE Online'
  7. open another Finder window and browse to the 'bad package' (steps 1 & 2)
  8. move the EVE Online package from the first Finder window to the second one
  9. delete 'bad package' (move to trash)
  10. the path you should end up with is: EVE Online/Contents/Resources/EVE Online/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/...
  11. launch the client normally, if the launcher tries to download an unreasonable amount of data please close it and double check the path in step number ten

Check out my EVE Gate broadcast log for semi-regular updates on various EVE development: https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/CCP%20Gangleri/StatusUpdates

Rengerel en Distel
#3 - 2013-08-12 15:17:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Rengerel en Distel
Quote:
• Connect to Singularity using an existing test install, post here if you have any problems updating the client or connecting.

Patched, logged in, got "The cluster is not currently accepting connections" while 41 people are online.
edit: It's now showing as VIP mode from the launcher. You don't get that from the connection screen, which perhaps you should.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Sirinda
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#4 - 2013-08-12 15:35:02 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Quote:

Patched, logged in, got "The cluster is not currently accepting connections" while 41 people are online.
edit: It's now showing as VIP mode from the launcher. You don't get that from the connection screen, which perhaps you should.

Confirming. As soon as I launch the game, the server blueballs me.
CCP Gangleri
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2013-08-12 15:36:55 UTC
Singularity was put into VIP for a while to let it recover, we're now planning to adjust the log in queue size and remove VIP again.

Ben Eto
Triple Helix.
#6 - 2013-08-12 15:43:53 UTC
The entire patch is taking quite a while for me compared to other ones.
Dray Cil
Sapphire Dragon Industries
#7 - 2013-08-12 15:53:03 UTC
Ben Eto wrote:

It's 2.57 gigs. Pretty dang large.

Dray

o.O

Ailok Konem
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2013-08-12 15:53:52 UTC
Few bugs i noticed. Fleet Commander of the fleet and Boss as well tried to invite corp mate in fleet

message : - 15:36:52 Info You do not have permission to execute this command in your fleet.

Also ammo consuption is 5 units / Cycle Gun. Lol
Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#9 - 2013-08-12 15:57:06 UTC
Dray Cil wrote:
Ben Eto wrote:

Dray

Only 820 megabytes for me. Are you upgrading from a TQ install or a previous SiSi install?

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Amatius
Last In First Out
#10 - 2013-08-12 15:58:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Amatius
When attempting to start the client on OSX, I get the following error once the launcher has patched itself:

"The server you are connecting to doesn't have a published update package."

EDIT: Restarting the patcher made this problem go away!
Dray Cil
Sapphire Dragon Industries
#11 - 2013-08-12 15:58:48 UTC
Sable Moran wrote:
Dray Cil wrote:
Ben Eto wrote:

Dray

Only 820 megabytes for me. Are you upgrading from a TQ install or a previous SiSi install?

previous SiSi install. Guess that's why.

Dray

o.O

Evelgrivion
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-08-12 16:08:03 UTC
What does/did Nasty do?
Zoofelynn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-08-12 16:26:36 UTC
I hate to be that guy but the current mirror is freaking old. Please consider updating it if possible, thanks.
Rukia Taika
Allied Operations
Mechanicus Macabre Immortale
#14 - 2013-08-12 16:27:13 UTC
Getting the "Connection not Allowed"
The EVE cluster has reached its maximum user limit. Please try logging in again later. You are #16 in line for logon.

There are 55 already logged in. any idea when this will be lifted?
Hulasikali Walla
Brave Nubs
#15 - 2013-08-12 16:35:17 UTC
Connect to Singularity using an existing test install:

Did it 3 times

Starts downloading update an then
Eve online Launcher Exception
Quote:
An unexpected error occured
Please try to restart or run the repair tool...

Got the traceback if needed

Ollivir Witt
Swift Witt Expeditions
#16 - 2013-08-12 16:40:29 UTC
As a developer I saw the Nasty reference and immediately assumed it was your build tool, and your further comments support this so let me say that I applaud your sense of humor and congratulate CCP and their development teams on no longer having to do the Nasty to push out a new build!
Rukia Taika
Allied Operations
Mechanicus Macabre Immortale
#17 - 2013-08-12 16:54:24 UTC
After waiting in line to connect to the server I got this handy dandy box saying

Login Failed
The authentication token provided by the launcher is of an invalid format. Please try again or contact EVE customer support.

And now i am back in line waiting
Tiberius Patterson
The IXth Legion
#18 - 2013-08-12 16:54:33 UTC
Zoofelynn wrote:
I hate to be that guy but the current mirror is freaking old. Please consider updating it if possible, thanks.

lol CCP updates it at set periods, I believe. We just have to be patient.
Tiberius Patterson
The IXth Legion
#19 - 2013-08-12 17:02:32 UTC
I also hate to be "that guy" but this has been bugging me for a while:

The welcome message says "Welcome on Singularity!"

It should read: "Welcome (to) Singularity!"

The English teacher in me is crying. Please fix it...
Dracoth Simertet
Red Federation
RvB - RED Federation
#20 - 2013-08-12 17:03:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracoth Simertet
Rukia Taika wrote:
After waiting in line to connect to the server I got this handy dandy box saying

Login Failed
The authentication token provided by the launcher is of an invalid format. Please try again or contact EVE customer support.

And now i am back in line waiting

Same here :(

o7
Drac

*Edit* I think mine might have mentioned something about it having timed out
123Next pageLast page