These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

New dev blog: Introducting the EVE Launcher

First post First post
Author
CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2011-11-09 14:57:31 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Guard
CCP Topknot and gang have been building a new launcher for EVE that's going to make all our lives easier.

You can read the blog here, and as always, we await your feedback right here in this thread.

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Raid'En
#2 - 2011-11-09 14:58:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Raid'En
remove the monocle on the screens :P

hum were is the devblog/news rss ? same for gaphical options, not visible on current build
Istan Mahwi
Aliastra
#3 - 2011-11-09 15:00:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Istan Mahwi
2nd!

well lets see what happens :)

CCP Topknot
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2011-11-09 15:01:15 UTC
Third?
XreiX
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-11-09 15:03:32 UTC
We want a pink sheep launcher!
Darod Zyree
Doomheim
#6 - 2011-11-09 15:04:01 UTC
Does this take away the need to close running clients while updating another?
Istan Mahwi
Aliastra
#7 - 2011-11-09 15:06:06 UTC
CCP Topknot wrote:
Third?

right you are sir!

CCP Topknot
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2011-11-09 15:07:00 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Topknot
Darod Zyree wrote:

No.

They are all running the same executable so if you update your client, you are updating ALL your running clients. That's why you need to close all running instances.
TheButcherPete
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2011-11-09 15:07:07 UTC
This is a nice, convienient feature, I think I'll enjoy it.
The devblog-a-day thing is a nice gesture, I hope it's enough, CCP.

/srstalk

inb4Chribba
I AM PETEBBA, MASTER OF PLAGIOCLASE.

[b]THE KING OF EVE RADIO

If EVE is real, does that mean all of us are RMTrs?[/b]

ORCACommander
Obsidian Firelance Technologies
#10 - 2011-11-09 15:08:45 UTC
looks good but i don't want it. when i click the shortcut for my game i want to go into the game not into a cd autorun menu.
Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#11 - 2011-11-09 15:10:24 UTC
Quote:
In regards to future improvements, a few ideas that we have been tossing around include:

* Totally automatic updating where the launcher will update EVE automatically for you as soon as a patch becomes available while you are outside taking a romantic walk on the beach.

* Staged installing. Downloading the whole game and installing it takes a good while so we are thinking of giving newbies the chance to install the game in stages. This would mean that they could start by creating their character while the rest of the game is being downloaded.

* Give you access to the game settings, so you could for instance set the graphics settings before starting the game.

Auto Update = Meh.I have no desire to let yet another program run in the background on my computer just so that it can download patch updates in the background. I suspect a lot of other folks would feel the same way, so I don't see that as a high-priority thing to be worked on.

Staged Install = Good. Makes sense that you can start working on the character creator and start reading help files or being pointed to the various "tutorial" wikis out there.

Access to Settings = Double-Plus Good. Gives you a way to fix screwed up video or other settings before launching.
Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2011-11-09 15:10:37 UTC
in before Chribba.

Cool stuff is cool. Also, please do add the ability to change game settings from the launcher. That would be very useful to many many people. And the auto updater.

Also, can it make me a sandwich?

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

Raid'En
#13 - 2011-11-09 15:10:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Raid'En
how will it work when i want to launch all my accounts at the same time ? will i like x launchers ?

also while you're at patch update, why do i need to install optionnal update on each client, while they are the same files, using junctions ?

also current version on sisi show TQ stats, and have no graphical options available.

and i hope you'll add an option for it to launch the game by itself if there's is nothing to patch.
Raquel Smith
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2011-11-09 15:11:00 UTC
⌘F Mac

Not surprised. Sigh.
Jason Edwards
Internet Tough Guy
#15 - 2011-11-09 15:11:38 UTC
Eve patcher now with 80% more ads.
Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2011-11-09 15:12:37 UTC
I find your lack of Macintosh support "disturbing".

But then, Windows users always need extra hand-holding. Twisted

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#17 - 2011-11-09 15:13:47 UTC
CCP Topknot wrote:
Third?

Indeed, but keeping with a good example, letting us like the author of the devblog instead of the like gathering Guard ;)

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Dierdra Vaal
Interstellar Stargate Syndicate
#18 - 2011-11-09 15:14:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Dierdra Vaal
Will this launcher include SiSi launch ability as well? Including that functionality might help increase participation on mass tests and such.

Also

Quote:
This space will be populated with the latest news from the world of EVE, the status of Tranquility and other fun stuff.

Will this include player made ads, similar to the current login screen ads you see occasionally?

Veto #205

Director Emeritus at EVE University

CSM1 delegate, CSM3 chairman and CSM5 vice-chairman

Evesterdam organiser and CSM Vote Match founder

Co-Author of the Galactic Party Planning Guide

TheButcherPete
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2011-11-09 15:16:06 UTC
Stuff.

[b]THE KING OF EVE RADIO

If EVE is real, does that mean all of us are RMTrs?[/b]

Darod Zyree
Doomheim
#20 - 2011-11-09 15:18:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Darod Zyree
CCP Topknot wrote:
Darod Zyree wrote:

No.

They are all running the same executable so if you update your client, you are updating ALL your running clients. That's why you need to close all running instances.

Not exactly if you have multiple eve "installations", as in each client having its own folder, the updater always closes all running eve clients when updating another.

same happened when I was applying a SISI patch to my SISI folder, it closed my Tranq eve client :(

all eve.exe processes get killed during patch installation?
123Next pageLast page