These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Introducting the EVE Launcher

First post First post
Author
Dosage Maxius
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#301 - 2012-03-12 17:42:32 UTC
Neo Agricola wrote:
CCP Cascade wrote:

What feature would improve things for you?

Since you asked:

my vision of a perfect launcher:

1. Single point of Entry: (I do have more than two accounts, so i have some eve installations on my pc)
=> Select which Character (!) you want to log in => launcher starts eve and you type in your PW and your Character is there.
=> Dream: (optional) Single sign on: i log on (UN/PW which are not the same as any EVE UN/PW) to the launcher and have all my chars available. i press one and the launcher startes eve and logs in the right char.
=> only downloading 1 time the patch to patch all installations (or better find a way to have only one installation for multiaccounting)
=> Copy setting from 1 Character to another (overview, Windowposition, marketwindow a.s.o.)
=> Downloading patches in Backround
=> posibility to distribute patches from 1 pc in your homenetwork to another (so if you have more than 1 PC you can config the Launcher that it askes the "ServerPC" in your homenetwork for an update!) => reduces trafik for those who dont have a big fancy internet conetion...
=> Change Settings for 1 Character (language, switch Autotarget = 0, a.s.o.)
=> Overview for all my char. Name, currently skilling X till date, Wallet, Docked in Y , Account expires on Date (or in x Days)
=> posibility to clear cach for Account / Char / installation

2. Informationwindow (optional,=> you turn it on/off and you can configure it as you like it)
=> Headline for the last 10 Dev Blogs
=> Headline for the last 10 Dev Forum Posts

make as many things optional as possible, so you dont force someone to use it.

Just my point of view.

What this guy said
Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#302 - 2012-03-13 13:46:57 UTC
Dosage Maxius wrote:
Neo Agricola wrote:
CCP Cascade wrote:

Since you asked:

1. Single point of Entry: (I do have more than two accounts, so i have some eve installations on my pc)
=> Select which Character (!) you want to log in => launcher starts eve and you type in your PW and your Character is there.
=> Dream: (optional) Single sign on: i log on (UN/PW which are not the same as any EVE UN/PW) to the launcher and have all my chars available. i press one and the launcher startes eve and logs in the right char.
=> only downloading 1 time the patch to patch all installations (or better find a way to have only one installation for multiaccounting)
=> Copy setting from 1 Character to another (overview, Windowposition, marketwindow a.s.o.)
=> posibility to distribute patches from 1 pc in your homenetwork to another (so if you have more than 1 PC you can config the Launcher that it askes the "ServerPC" in your homenetwork for an update!) => reduces trafik for those who dont have a big fancy internet conetion...
=> Overview for all my char. Name, currently skilling X till date, Wallet, Docked in Y , Account expires on Date (or in x Days)

2. Informationwindow (optional,=> you turn it on/off and you can configure it as you like it)

Just my point of view.

What this guy said

This too.
Zeronic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#303 - 2012-03-13 18:05:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Zeronic
Hey CCP,

Is it possible to have 1 Launcher Update more than 1 client?

This would be really useful for those of us that us different client path for each account. IE Update Drive:\Eve Online1\; Drive:\Eve Online2\ and so on. For now I'll keep using GoodSync.
CCP Donut Golem
C C P
C C P Alliance
#304 - 2012-03-13 19:10:27 UTC
Zeronic wrote:
Hey CCP,

This would be really useful for those of us that us different client path for each account. IE Update Drive:\Eve Online1\; Drive:\Eve Online2\ and so on. For now I'll keep using GoodSync.

Please look into the Import/Export Patch options under the "Patches" tab in the Settings menu Smile.
Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#305 - 2012-03-13 19:12:40 UTC
Zeronic wrote:
Hey CCP,

If you had used junction points instead of physically separate folders, then a single run of the patcher would update all of your EVE installations at the same time.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Multiple_clients#Method_1_-_Junctions

With the bonus that EVE would take up less space on your hard drive.
CCP Donut Golem
C C P
C C P Alliance
#306 - 2012-03-13 19:13:16 UTC
Tanya Powers wrote:
Dosage Maxius wrote:
Neo Agricola wrote:
CCP Cascade wrote:

Since you asked:

Just my point of view.

What this guy said

This too.

Thanks for your feedback Big smile.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#307 - 2012-03-13 19:24:40 UTC
previous promotions that your marketing team work hard for and browsable just in case we might have missed it?

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Zeronic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#308 - 2012-03-13 19:57:06 UTC
CCP Donut Golem wrote:
Zeronic wrote:
Hey CCP,

Please look into the Import/Export Patch options under the "Patches" tab in the Settings menu Smile.

Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Zeronic wrote:
Hey CCP,

If you had used junction points instead of physically separate folders, then a single run of the patcher would update all of your EVE installations at the same time.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Multiple_clients#Method_1_-_Junctions

With the bonus that EVE would take up less space on your hard drive.

Yeah I saw that CCP Donut Golem, but I like it be more automated, than me having to export, then import in to each client.

As far as Junction Point that is a nice system but I would use "Symbolic link"(s) instead. I have an Intel 320 80GB SSD just to run Eve, so space is not an issue for me. I'll have to try Symbolic Link and Per Core Client, to see if is cause an issues. This Per Core Client method helped prevent the DEPs errors.
Katherine Starlight
Doomheim
#309 - 2012-03-13 22:47:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Katherine Starlight
http://i.solidfiles.net/3194c9cb52.png

It is a ripoff, i can tell by the pixels as ive seen many ripoffs in my time.

But really, exactly to the very very last pixel same size on the window etc? You could have reworked it slightly and made it more optimized at least, its too large and too bloaty. We want

1: dev blog / patch info links
2: that installing patches etc stuff bar
3: a PLAY button
and you have a winning concept

I want to run adblock on the current looks, also i started the client with the launcher and tadaaah, got a patch notification will be installed with only an OK button. which means the launcher isnt doing the only thing it would be good for, patching the game. Its just a bloated obstacle to start the game.
Aton RA
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#310 - 2012-03-14 11:30:12 UTC
Hi guys

Mabye it's allready mentioned but sry too much to read.

What i would like to see the option for selecting the screen where you want to launch EvE.

In my case i have 2 screens for 2 chars i alway's have online.
would be nice if i could assign the screen before eve actualy starts.

I hope it's usefull.

Regards
Aton RA
Doctor Eezee
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#311 - 2012-03-14 12:07:59 UTC
CCP Donut Golem wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Big smile.

Also please give us an option to view the changelog in the launcher or at least put a link to the latest patch notes somewhere in there.

"My rule is: If you meet the weakest vessel, attack; if it is a vessel equal to yours, attack; and if it is stronger than yours, also attack..." - Admiral Stepan O. Makarov

Hans Momaki
State War Academy
Caldari State
#312 - 2012-03-14 23:50:36 UTC
No Improvement at all. Updating takes longer now.

Can this be improved please?
Inanna Zuni
ZuniCorp
#313 - 2012-03-15 15:15:08 UTC
Well, it looks like this is the final straw to drive me away.

*Any* form of auto-patching will fail as I use neither Windows nor Apple natively. I use Wine (ie Linux) and we seem to have become the _very_ poor relation indeed. Where once there was a client we then, until this change, had to *download* the (windows) patch and apply it separately/manually. It cannot be done in the same way as a native Windows machine.

I've been around EVE for six years, and was even a member of the first CSM. But this looks like being the final straw, which is sad as I've been looking forward to (long-promised!) features.

Unless someone can tell me an alternative, that is ...

IZ
Dako Semi
Solid Investments
#314 - 2012-03-15 16:13:03 UTC
Inanna Zuni wrote:
Well, it looks like this is the final straw to drive me away.

*Any* form of auto-patching will fail as I use neither Windows nor Apple natively. I use Wine (ie Linux) and we seem to have become the _very_ poor relation indeed. Where once there was a client we then, until this change, had to *download* the (windows) patch and apply it separately/manually. It cannot be done in the same way as a native Windows machine.

I've been around EVE for six years, and was even a member of the first CSM. But this looks like being the final straw, which is sad as I've been looking forward to (long-promised!) features.

Unless someone can tell me an alternative, that is ...

IZ

Can i have your stuffs plz :)

I think they will be able to fix you some posebilaties, at least i hope.
Would be a shame if people would stop just becouse of a patch programme.

Regards
Dako
XeonXecutive
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#315 - 2012-03-15 17:16:13 UTC  |  Edited by: XeonXecutive
There's some ******** launcher showing up when i want to log into eve. looks like something from some gay rpg game. I am not impressed to say the least. get rid of it. make separate exe for the launcher and gameclient ffs.
edit: gr8 i can switch the crap off, why put in, in the 1st place. 101 if its not broken dont fix it.