These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Starbase happy fun time

First post First post
Author
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#261 - 2011-11-07 17:49:46 UTC
Zagdul wrote:
This has happened before.

Remember last year when they went skynet on everyone?

Yeah I know, that was my fault. I should have known better than pick my left nose as a grey cat crossed the street in front of the office ON PATCH DAY!

Seriously, five years and I still do this. Ugh
Mecinia Lua
Galactic Express
#262 - 2011-11-07 17:49:55 UTC
I like what I see here.

I know those with faction towers are being asked to take a hit, just like the many supercapital pilots who are taking hits. The extra fuel bay is nice I think. Perhaps once they have time to redo the entire starbase system then the faction towers can once again have a bit more advantage.

On average I think most folks will save a bit of isk on fueling this way. I do expect from the looks of it though that heavy water and liquid ozone may raise in price due to all towers now taking them. However the drop in demand for robotics should more than offset it.

Lorth Kelser
Phoenix Propulsion Labs
#263 - 2011-11-07 17:50:38 UTC
Grace Murray wrote:
Wow, thanks for yet another w-space nerf in the winter patch. Now, not only is PI going to cost us a lot more, but instead of fueling our tower mostly on PI goods from in our system, and only needing to haul in ice goo for fuel, we either need to buy it ALL, or haul everything out, find a nearby factory, buy ice goo, and haul it all back in again.

CCP, PLEASE stop only considering the "big alliance in nullsec" case when you design these things. That's not your entire player base, and homogenizing your game takes out a lot of what makes it cool in the first place.

Yes this if how I see. Doing PI in null sec or low sec will make no sense at all with all these changes. Everyone will do there PI and ice mining in high sec make there blocks and move them to null low sec.

While I like the idea as I used to have to spend 8 to 10 hours a week fueling a POS network. I dont see it working well when you add the changes to PI coming out as well. Also I see our faction tower getting screwed as well.
Kralin Ignatov
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#264 - 2011-11-07 17:51:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Kralin Ignatov
CCP Prism X wrote:
This one time.
In Band Camp.
Absolutely nothing happened.
For a whole day, NOTHING!
It was a fairly boring day to tell you the truth.
Even so POSs all started going randomly offline. Somehow that did not stop them from opening fire on blues and only blues.
I think this five year old love/hate relationship of ours with the current POS code is getting old.

Just felt like getting that off my chest after reading this.
Carry on.

after the mystical day you refactor and replace the old POS code, you should consider dumping the best (worst) parts of it on thedailywtf.com, as i am guessing its quite worthy
Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#265 - 2011-11-07 17:53:02 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Zagdul wrote:
This has happened before.

Remember last year when they went skynet on everyone?

Yeah I know, that was my fault. I should have known better than pick my left nose as a grey cat crossed the street in front of the office ON PATCH DAY!

Seriously, five years and I still do this. Ugh

It's all good.

Oh, when you guys look into re-designing the POS's. Might save you a LOT of time if you just introduce new BP's and allow people to decide if they want to take down old pos' for new ones. As long as fuel requirements are the same for a S/M/L starbase, implementing new BP's while removing the old ones will leave "collector" items in the game and thus implement a niche market.

Oh, and imagine the campaigns people could make to rid space of clutter!

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement

Slieper
Perkone
Caldari State
#266 - 2011-11-07 17:53:12 UTC
After some consideration: after the pallet being put into the tower, it should "unpack" into the conventional fuel. The tower should be able to be fueled with conventional fuel directly.

It allows:
- fraction towers keep their bonuses
- peopl, producting some fuel themselves can use it to fuel their towers

Everybody happy.
Nocturrne Primitive
Evil Young Flesh
#267 - 2011-11-07 17:55:31 UTC
Temmu Guerra wrote:
Nocturrne Primitive wrote:
No! No! NOO!

So, not only do I have to flog myself to gather all of the fuel, but I also have to package it into friggin blocks....

How is this supposed to make our lives easier?

Why not just buy the blocks?

Buy where? There is no market or even a station near most of our POSs. In 0.0 we must be self sufficient. At the moment, we harvest all of our POS fuels in system or nearby. Having to travel long distances and make or buy blocks is an epic nightmare.
Toshiko Kin
Material Reclamation Services
#268 - 2011-11-07 17:58:47 UTC
For my current setup, these changes will lower total 'cost', increase total m3 to move about and add 5 hours a week to my time spent mining ice (8.7 total hours/week). The first two kinda wash and aren't really something to cause excitement. The third bit, well 8.7 hours a week is about all the time I usually spend in EvE. Sooo... I guess it's back to ganking and griefing for me, once these changes go live. Good thing I'll have new ships to do it in. :)
mkint
#269 - 2011-11-07 17:59:13 UTC
Temmu Guerra wrote:
No! No! NOO!

So, not only do I have to flog myself to gather all of the fuel, but I also have to package it into friggin blocks....

Buy where? There is no market or even a station near most of our POSs. In 0.0 we must be self sufficient. At the moment, we harvest all of our POS fuels in system or nearby. Having to travel long distances and make or buy blocks is an epic nightmare.

It's worth noting the corp of people you respond to. Some are obviously CCP favorites, and their comments will obviously be in support of any changes CCP did to buff them and nerf anyone else. Naturally, it sucks to be everyone else.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Largo Coronet
Perkone
Caldari State
#270 - 2011-11-07 17:59:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Largo Coronet
Well, then you're at the point where you CAN build your own refinery. A n extra manufacturing array or two on one POS and you're set. All you'll need are the blueprints.

Then YOU can set yourself up as British POSfuels. Pirate

This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

Someday, this signature may save my life.

Bephatasis
Free Carpenters Union
#271 - 2011-11-07 18:00:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Bephatasis
Well ... all in all i like the changes!

Just some Feedback:
- Would like to see the 4 fuel blocks to look more different. Maybe the easiest thing would be to color it in the racial colors.
- The timer may be too short - looks like some "symbolic" timers

You need much more time with the crappy way to place the mods than they will need to anchor.
The real increase would be a better way to place the Mods faster in the place u want them.

Just a small hint @ the DEVs: Try to Setup a POS with a real setup (Mods on a special position, not just random positions around the POS), then u will see that it's a pain in the ass to move small mods on the exact position u want it.

EDIT1:
What would be also some "epic Style" if u can process the Blocks on a planet in a High-Tech-Processors Lol

EDIT2:
Also very like the style of the Devblog, was laugthing very loud at some points! Keep going with this!
Toshiko Kin
Material Reclamation Services
#272 - 2011-11-07 18:02:37 UTC
Temmu Guerra wrote:
No! No! NOO!

Did I miss something? I could have sworn the dev blog said they would be manufactured in POS ammo arrays?

"The four racial fuel blocks will be built in batches of four in all stations, plus starbase ammo assembly arrays..."

So why are you traveling long distances again?
Jesci Quinlan
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#273 - 2011-11-07 18:02:56 UTC
Dalton Vanadis wrote:
Callic Veratar wrote:
Dalton Vanadis wrote:
I would like to say that one idea that is probably easy to implement and will make all of your players who manage towers very very very happy with you is to just plop a full load of these pellets into the fuel bay on patch day, just erase their old fuel, put in 29 days of fuel blocks and call it a day.

- Anchor Tower
- Put in a bit of fuel
- Convert to blocks for free
- Tear down tower
- Sell fuel

Damn, always forget it's EVE, and players will always find a way to pull moar ISK.

Something to consider might be that the injection of ISK/materials into the market might then offset some of the inevitable post-expansion market inflation of the materials keeping the overall system slightly more stable than the all out land-grab of materials that will happen otherwise.

Plus leading up the expansion, if everyone was going to try and anchor towers to get the free fuel, tower prices will spike, likely making it an overall loss of ISK to just buy a tower off the market. Furthermore, increasing supply on the market through that means would be akin to seeding it directly on the market from the get go, which would decrease the transition period.

But yeah, hadn't considered how people would scam the system, so probably wouldn't work overall... Too bad, would have made life easier for everyone just keeping their actual towers running.

Query or calculate the tower's run time. Replace the contents of the fuel bay with the corresponding number of fuel blocks. It's not that much more complicated. Giving everyone a month of free fuel is a really bad idea though. It will be abused as Callic pointed out, and the ISK value involved is not insignificant.

The issue I guess is that people may still throw up a bunch of temporary towers to produce large quantities of fuel blocks without the build time or factory costs. Whether that one time loophole is acceptable or not is up to CCP.

There's also the people who don't keep their fuel levels balanced to consider. The "run time" conversion would cause them to lose the excess fuel, but I'm willing to bet those people won't care enough to make a fuss about it anyway.

On another note, I'd just like to add my support for the idea of multiplying the whole system by a factor of 100 (and dividing the volume obviously). Maintaining granularity for the sov and faction fuel bonuses is far more important than keeping the number of blocks small.
Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
#274 - 2011-11-07 18:04:05 UTC
after reading the 'starbase happy fun time' i thought you were actually doing something to help pos runners.

now we have more build jobs to run and a higher fuel cost in most cases.

you do not play this game do you?

OMG when can i get a pic here

Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#275 - 2011-11-07 18:04:50 UTC
Toshiko Kin wrote:
Temmu Guerra wrote:
No! No! NOO!

Did I miss something? I could have sworn the dev blog said they would be manufactured in POS ammo arrays?

"The four racial fuel blocks will be built in batches of four in all stations, plus starbase ammo assembly arrays..."

So why are you traveling long distances again?

They're probably thinking of flying the ice fuels into null instead of actually mining the ice that's there, or encouraging industrialists in null to do that for them.

Six months in the hole... it changes a man.

Atropos Kahn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#276 - 2011-11-07 18:06:05 UTC
Pretty nice for defenders and POS monkeys... But as an aggressor, I am meh.... Would like to see something mentioned on unanchoring pos's that have run out of fuel or have been abandoned.... Especially in w-space..

Buttons aren't toys.

Fuujin
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#277 - 2011-11-07 18:06:09 UTC
Smoking Blunts wrote:
after reading the 'starbase happy fun time' i thought you were actually doing something to help pos runners.

now we have more build jobs to run and a higher fuel cost in most cases.

you do not play this game do you?

Yeah, that 5 second anchor time is going to turn it into a real grind.

The only inconvenience this is going to cause is the transition period.
Ciryath Al'Darion
FinFleet
Northern Coalition.
#278 - 2011-11-07 18:07:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Ciryath Al'Darion
Do the transition so that fuel that is in bay is converted into blocks, the uneven part gets left behind as pi or ice products as they used to be.

It's very simple for you to do. Would be crime against your customers for you not run the simple script someone posted earlier to this thread.

It eases up every pos slaves work.

Benefits outweigh the downsides by tons.

The only downside for this that I've seen is that people don't need to build stuff at stations for the 1st round. So what? they haven't been needing to build it until now either.
Hirana Yoshida
Behavioral Affront
#279 - 2011-11-07 18:07:15 UTC
CCP ARE EEJITS!

PELLETS!
IT IS CALLED FUEL PELLETS (as per initial idea and previous discussions)

Fuel Blocks just sounds silly, bordering on stupid immediately adjacent to moronic.

PS: Hurry up with removing the blasted things entirely .. they outlived their usefulness the first time they were spammed and thus caused premature hairloss, ulcers and death in the hauling population caught completely unawares.
MiliasColds
Strategic Incompetence
Blue Sun Interstellar Technologies
#280 - 2011-11-07 18:07:49 UTC
i'm not a POS guy, but i see the questions people had regarding faction towers/ and the bonuses they get/what they mean to the players.

is i technically feasible to just change the cycle time for fuel use on faction towers, from 60 min to 75 min to 90 min, that gets less fuel same online time, and lower costs for that time. or same fuel same costs longer online time. just my two cents