These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

500mil for your opinion!

Author
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#21 - 2013-05-26 01:07:08 UTC
Sorry, my opinion is worth more than that.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Cilgil Arbosa
The Superior NPC Corporation
#22 - 2013-05-26 01:07:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Cilgil Arbosa
Nobody gives away 500 M for a cheap answer. But here is what I would do: Set up a completely unrelated character, join his corp as an interested, fast learning newbie. Slowly you'll gain his trust with engagement and well dosed applications of leadership and encouragment.
Whenever the opportunity arises, you seed discontent among the members and fan the flames of drama. After months of low boiling discord, lost battles, dwindling profits and chains of crippling wardecs his corp will be only a husk of what it used to be. He won't recognize you as his worst enemy though, rather he will ask you if you'd like to assume the role of a director with all rights and privileges.

You steal all assets and empty the wallets, disbanding the corp. Biomass the alt or not, he played his role.

A few days, maybe two weeks later you log in with a char he knows. You catch up, you talk about stuff. EVE isn't that much fun anymore now, he says, his corp gone through the actions of a single infiltrator. He never had any serious enemies but this game is choke full with jackasses and traitors. It's funny how you seem to be about the only guy left in New Eden he can call a true friend.
A long hiatus may be just the thing he needs to get his head free of eve for a while.

"Say, would you hold this char warm for me for a while while I'm away? In the end, I know I can trust you"
Bane Veradun
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-05-26 01:11:15 UTC
Nemoya Zelon wrote:
Friends have been taunting me for years to get back into the game and my willpower has now given out, so here I am. Anyhow, I have to start over because I sold my character to a friend before I left. It is now his main (with which he runs a small corp) so I feel as though asking for her back would be rather rude and in any case, not in the cards for me.

So my situation is thus: I have around ~50 billion in liquid isk, another ~10 bil (rough estimate) in various assets which I kept on a throw-away alt and I am looking to re-establish myself.

I know there's no right or wrong answer, but I'm quite curious to know what you would do?

500 million isk to the answer that I find the most insightful or amusing. ;)

Buy your friend a comparable toon (or maybe a toon he or she likes) from the bazaar with the stipulation that he or she will return your main to you. The can CEO the new toon, and transfer all assets to the new toon and you get the character that you started with. (I wish I could get my main back, but I have no money for him now. : \)

If you are looking for something harsh, you could join his corp, train up a bit and then AWOX the everloving **** out of your pixelated former self and then shrug and explain that 'You hated yourself for what you did and wanted to die'. Extra points for doing it while he or she is flying a pimped bling boat with serious head bling hardwired in their soft matter.

Hi.

Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-05-26 01:17:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Nyancat Audeles
Nemoya Zelon wrote:
Friends have been taunting me for years to get back into the game and my willpower has now given out, so here I am. Anyhow, I have to start over because I sold my character to a friend before I left. It is now his main (with which he runs a small corp) so I feel as though asking for her back would be rather rude and in any case, not in the cards for me.

So my situation is thus: I have around ~50 billion in liquid isk, another ~10 bil (rough estimate) in various assets which I kept on a throw-away alt and I am looking to re-establish myself.

I know there's no right or wrong answer, but I'm quite curious to know what you would do?

50 billion ISK? HOW DID YOU DO THAT! No, seriously... how does one make that money?

Anyways, to address your question:
I have been really wanting to get into trade. To conquer the market, or at least feel like I'm doing it Lol
I realize that this is no easy task and requires quite a bit of capital. I would love to get a head start. I have done investment and station trading before, so I know a bit of my way around it, but it takes a long time for trades to turn up money... a head start of 500M would triple my investment power, and if you couple that with the Margin Trading skills in trading, I think it would give me a viable future in trading (station trading, at least!)

If the whole new "hauler" skill rebalance will reduce the time it takes for me to train into a hauler I might even put some training time into haulers, as well as some ISK...

Anyways, I would appreciate if you could also answer my first question - as the famous saying goes,
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

One day, hopefully, I will be making enough through trade that I do not have to grind 3 hours to fit a Curse for PvP.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#25 - 2013-05-26 01:42:47 UTC
Nemoya Zelon wrote:

If they sucked you back into this game, they are no friends of your's......Cool

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

ACE McFACE
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#26 - 2013-05-26 01:48:33 UTC
Depends what you want to do.

If you're more into the PvE side of things I would suggest wormholes (or Incursions if you don't want to deal with towers and holding a WH, or just day-trip)

For PvP join FW (any faction will do) and start hunting. If you want to PvP in null join a PvP alliance like RnK, they'll provide large fleets than FW and have a bit more of a goal.

Now, more than ever, we need a dislike button.

Robertis Olacar
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2013-05-26 01:55:59 UTC
Start a cult that scams scammers[ into donating to charityShocked
Corey Fumimasa
Court of Gods
Tsundere Triad
#28 - 2013-05-26 02:05:39 UTC
Wardec all your friends. Hire mercs to help you burn their holdings and wreck their mission opportunities. They will whine and cry and chuckle nervously sometimes, but in the end they will have a new understanding of Eve, and of you.
Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#29 - 2013-05-26 02:12:08 UTC
Just buy yourself a suitable character, and blow the rest of isks on whatever seems fun to you.

Easy, isn't it?
Charlie Jacobson
#30 - 2013-05-26 02:29:50 UTC
You should donate the 500 mil to me so I can make 5000 players feel Wanted with 100k bounties.
Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#31 - 2013-05-26 03:00:51 UTC
First of all, the important thing to understand is that EVE isn't actually fun. Winning is fun, but 99% of the time you're playing the game you're just sitting around doing nothing. So, what you want to do is let someone else do the boring parts while you have all the fun. 50 billion ISK is a decent start to a mercenary fund, and will allow you to spend all your time trolling on the forums (the real fun) while your mercenaries do things that you, as the glorious CEO, can claim credit for.

Now, you have some choices to make about what target. There are three good options:

1) Your friend who has your character. Make them pay for having your character. For example, pay someone to keep a Falcon alt next to them at all times and perma-jam them if they ever undock (without ever killing them, of course). And for maximum drama make sure they know it's you ruining their corporation and griefing them out of the game. Since you won't have to lower yourself to actually playing the game while this is happening you will be free to post epic threads about how much they suck, or reply to every post they make with a link to their latest lossmail.

2) Carebears. This is the best option if you want to continue playing the game for a long time. Carebears are easy targets, so you can get away with cheap mercenaries. And if you pick the right targets you might even be able to ransom carebear corps for more than you're paying the mercenaries, making a net profit on every deal. This has a major advantage in playing the forum game: while you might lose the personal drama (though never underestimate carebear hate mail) you'll generate an impressive killboard for your corp and everyone will have to respect you as a great leader.

3) Drama. Pick someone famous and/or interesting (preferably someone who loves forum posting) and hire mercenaries to kill them. This will probably cost you more money and drain your ISK reserves very quickly, but it has excellent potential for generating forum drama while it lasts. Then once you run out of money you can quit again, secure in both your legacy as "that guy who did X", and your complete lack of funding to ever start playing again if your friends beg you to re-subscribe.

So, good luck and give me my ******* money!
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#32 - 2013-05-26 03:02:19 UTC
Start up a newb-ish corp in FW and fund countless waves of frigates, destroyers and cruisers.

You can do a lot of things with that kind of isk.

Running a corp can be either one of the most rewarding or most punishing roles to fill in eve (frequently it's both)

Carve out a name and a solar system for yourself and build a corp that will grown and thrive even without you and long after you've lost interest in the game.
Nemoya Zelon
Doomheim
#33 - 2013-05-26 03:04:50 UTC
Nyancat Audeles wrote:

50 billion ISK? HOW DID YOU DO THAT! No, seriously... how does one make that money?

T2 BPO.
Hakaimono
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2013-05-26 03:06:13 UTC
Send it to me, I'm a Nigerian prince.
Invisusira
Escalated.
Project Gungnir.
#35 - 2013-05-26 03:11:28 UTC
Check out the newly balanced T1 frigates. Try out a few of your old favorites. Take some out into nullsec and blow some stuff up (or get yourself blown up), all with minimal risk to your wallet.
Azure Moonlight
Atomic Core Industries and Science
#36 - 2013-05-26 03:11:59 UTC
Send me your ISK, any amount you send I will double Big smile

Yay 10 years! :D

Jarod Garamonde
Sons of Seyllin
Pirate Lords of War
#37 - 2013-05-26 03:16:59 UTC
Nemoya Zelon wrote:

I don't want your space money. I want you to be interested in PvP, and join Action Bastards.... come kill stuff with some cool ex-military dudes.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Nemoya Zelon
Doomheim
#38 - 2013-05-26 03:44:35 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Sorry, my opinion is worth more than that.

Well played. Lol
Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#39 - 2013-05-26 04:08:16 UTC
Nyancat Audeles wrote:

Buy low, sell high. Don't mix those up.

Share your experience

Write for the EVE Tribune

www.eve-tribune.com

Six Six Six
Doomheim
#40 - 2013-05-26 04:59:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Six Six Six
By the sounds of how much isk you have your old character had quite a bit of sp.

I restarted many times, even though I started in 2005 my highest character only had sp in the low twenties. Previous characters all got biomassed, including billions of isk + assets, also given away billions of isk and assets.

One problem with starting over is you're not able to do what you used to be able to do due to the obvious reason of not having the skills trained.

Another problem you might find is where you have so much isk, you'll find there's no real reason to do much to generate isk at low skill levels as you already have far more than your character needs at that time. Like for instance level 1 and 2 missions which are not that interesting anyway, but you'll still have to do some to get to higher level missions because of the corp. standings.

But the biggest problem is that you may get bored quicker because of the low skill levels of your new character especially as you've already played before with a higher level character. Although your friends will probably keep you occupied.

My advice would be if you find that you are getting bored because of the reasons I gave above, consider getting a ready made character from the market. That way you have access to higher level content which should help as you continue to develop your new character in the way that you want to.

This is free advice by the way, I already have more isk than I need at this time.