These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE True Stories Competition Results

Author
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#21 - 2013-05-22 08:10:04 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:
And that folks is why I did not vote or post any stories.

When you have power blocks able to vote en masse for one person any competition that involves players to vote is really worthless.

Congrats on GS guys for winning all those juicy plexes and prizes by flexing their voting muscle.

Not empty quoting.

We make upless than 1% of the population.

Apparently that's enough.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Cpt Underpants
Caldari State
#22 - 2013-05-22 08:49:02 UTC
Andrea Griffin wrote:
While The Mittani did indeed get the most upvotes and it did affect Eve in a big, big way, the story itself is pretty bad. "Log in, click disband alliance button, win."

The reason it lacked a lot of detail was :ccp: used a system that supported a maximum of 5,000 characters per story. I believe mittens wrote more but had to edit a lot out to fit.

Lurk more - http://i39.tinypic.com/2nktoiq.gif

Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2013-05-22 08:59:55 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

When you have power blocks able to vote en masse for one person any competition that involves players to vote is really worthless.

Congrats on GS guys for winning all those juicy plexes and prizes by flexing their voting muscle.

Not empty quoting.

We make upless than 1% of the population.

That is true...

But considering that very few people actively participate in anything EVE other their little world that 1% added by friends makes a massive difference.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Murdock Willows
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2013-05-22 09:23:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Murdock Willows
Pretty obvious goons were going to win, I mean when you make a contest that involved the players voting, why wouldn't the biggest block win?

TBH the stories that will be picked for the Comic/Show or whatever should receive the prizes, since you know there the ones that will be published and available for CCP to capitalize off of. SOO CCP make sure to give a reward to the peoples stories you take and make money off of, only fair right??

Just a thought Twisted
Tyrrax Thorrk
Guiding Hand Social Club
#25 - 2013-05-22 09:27:23 UTC
it's actually not true, goonswarm federation has 10k members, then add the rest of CFC and it's close to 10% of all EVE accounts.
knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#26 - 2013-05-22 09:29:26 UTC
Blame CCP. Its obvious there is a problem with CCP's terrible communication strategy if less than 1% of the players can influence voting. However it does distract from the point that the best story won because its the one that most encapsulates EVE, it would have been terrible if some dirty role players won.
Xolve
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-05-22 09:30:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Xolve
Lord Maldoror wrote:
And as a bonus thanks to all, too, for making Player Owned Surrpise the most read story <3

Why not go make a well narrated, yet boring video about it... oh wait.
Tyrrax Thorrk
Guiding Hand Social Club
#28 - 2013-05-22 09:33:25 UTC
Interestingly Hardin's story has traded places with Lord Maldoror's 3rd story - I guess CCP is deleting some votes ! :O
wallenbergaren
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2013-05-22 09:37:30 UTC
Sour grapes much?

I gave you as many downvotes as I could and I didn't need Lord Maldoror whispering in my ear to do that. Get over yourself.
Tyrrax Thorrk
Guiding Hand Social Club
#30 - 2013-05-22 09:44:50 UTC
I totally care about downvotes that had no effect on my story's ranking at all, but gz on caring about me random stranger.
Sorka Regan
Deadspace Knights
#31 - 2013-05-22 09:46:15 UTC
Tyrrax Thorrk wrote:

Seventh place was about how Centra Spike stole an Erebus from Bluemelon (who funnily enough recently joined us here in Pandemic Legion, funny how a little thing like a stolen titan isn't that big a deal in EVE) - https://truestories.eveonline.com/ideas/820

Stealing a titan from a man with more wealth that the combined income of PL as an alliance since it has existed isnt a massive deal
Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-05-22 09:51:07 UTC
Tyrrax Thorrk wrote:
it's actually not true, goonswarm federation has 10k members, then add the rest of CFC and it's close to 10% of all EVE accounts.

You actually just pulled that statistic out of your ass didn't you.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Tyrrax Thorrk
Guiding Hand Social Club
#33 - 2013-05-22 09:53:17 UTC
Pretty much yeah, but whether CFC has a combined membership of 30k or 50k it's still close to 10% ))
Buhhdust Princess
Mind Games.
WE FORM V0LTA
#34 - 2013-05-22 10:02:01 UTC
Admittedly this was bound to happen with such a high plex prize. I posted in the hopes that I'd win, but that wasn't going to happen when some people had a 12,000 man alliance backing them ^^

Grats to those who won! and grats to those in the top 10.
-Buhhd
Hardin
Imperial Dreams
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#35 - 2013-05-22 10:06:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Hardin
Tyrrax Thorrk wrote:
Interestingly Hardin's story has traded places with Lord Maldoror's 3rd story - I guess CCP is deleting some votes ! :O

Yeah that is really weird.

However, no up votes seem to have been deleted off mine as I checked earlier and it was 260 up 85 down - as it is now. It seems that Lord Maldoror's 3rd story (which was a few votes behind when voting closed) has either picked up some up-votes or lost some down-votes since voting closed.

The reason I actually wrote down the number of my up/down votes was because at one stage this morning (after voting closed) my story was showing in 8th (ahead of Seleene's) but then I noticed that had changed too. That is what prompted me to write the actual score down to see if there was anymore 'tweaks' post voting closure.

Wish I had written all the Top 10 scores down now...

Edit: My story appears in the Top 9 shown on the 'True Stories' home page but in 10th on the 'Top rate stories' page... May just be some coding issue...

Amarr Victor

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#36 - 2013-05-22 10:06:45 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:

That is true...

But considering that very few people actively participate in anything EVE other their little world that 1% added by friends makes a massive difference.

Well maby the 99% should take more actionBlink

Perhaps pitching tents and waving placards with bad slogans on them in front of CCP HQ.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#37 - 2013-05-22 10:30:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Destination SkillQueue
baltec1 wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

That is true...

Well maby the 99% should take more actionBlink

Perhaps pitching tents and waving placards with bad slogans on them in front of CCP HQ.

That 99% has never had much interest in these things and never will, so any system relying on it to happen just paints the designer of said system as grossly incompetent. Since we don't know what CCP expected to happen, I can't say whether the system worked as intended or not. I'm assuming it worked as intended, since not even CCP could be stupid enough to not see this result being the most likely outcome of the system.

It does raise one real problem though. The prizes for similar events will increasingly attract less talent to the competitions, since everyone knows from the start who the winners are going to be. Providing great prizes becomes less about attracting and rewarding the best and the most talented and more about subsidizing the largest ingame entities. That serves no worthwhile function and in the long term can even bring down the quality of the submitted entries.
Onyx Nyx
The Khaleph
#38 - 2013-05-22 10:48:02 UTC
I need to submit this to True Stories. I think I'll call it "Tyrrax Thorrk pouts! A tale that took place on the EVE forums on a Wednesday in May 2013."

Also, I need to get some popcorn.

I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more.

• Richard (http://www.lfgcomic.com/)
SmarncaV2
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-05-22 10:48:29 UTC  |  Edited by: SmarncaV2
OP you sound mad because so called Kings of Lowsec didnt get anything?

Not even a fourth place?

Fifth? Nope.

Looks like you're not the best at everything and that your

Quote:
win win win

stories are not so true :)
Nessa Aldeen
First Among Equals
#40 - 2013-05-22 10:58:29 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:

Congrats on GS guys for winning all those juicy plexes and prizes by flexing their (and friends) voting muscle.

Yup exactly the reason why nearly ALL the top 'winning' stories are about null sec players. Screw the Mittani, and GS hardly interesting but yeah even in polls you guys just zerg everyone out. It would have been so much better if CCP had an independent panel of writers to judge the stories rather than 'omg bees, vote this **** so I can goes to Iceland for free and 20000 bajiliion plexes'

But whatever.