These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE True Stories Competition Results

Author
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#61 - 2013-05-22 14:13:14 UTC
True...

I don't hold it against them. A win is a win in my eyes.

Just wanted to point out the glaringly obvious.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Meta Warrior
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2013-05-22 15:10:12 UTC
I was pulling/voting for the GH-SC story. Reading about it is what prompted me check out EvE. I now sub 3 accounts. Great story, Great PR work.

That said the BoB take down was #2 on my list.

Oh, and I completely agree with Kane.
Julie Saunders
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2013-05-22 15:26:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Julie Saunders
Tyrrax Thorrk wrote:
Both well written submissions about events that had a considerable impact on the greatest war to take place in EVE so far, involving at one point or another pretty much every significant 0.0 alliance in the game (and many many not so significant heh)

To be honest, I would say they are factual accounts rather than "stories". Stories typically captivate and immerse the reader into the events rather than simply lest them as factual reference. Winning "story" is a wiki article at best.

Lord Maldoror could tell a story about paint drying and make it somehow sound interesting and captivating. This and the popularity of the R&K videos, which are equally well told, are the reasons for his stories' success.

To be honest the whole voting system is a bit weird here because essentially Lord M could have told the BoB disbanding story a lot better than Mittens but of course the Mittens version was up-voted by the alliance masses.

I would have preferred CCP to vote too and the authors to have been anonymous. Instead of digging up some of the great writers that are surely out there in the EVE community we basically got two average-at-best wiki articles winning.

I mean, yeah, cool chest beating post and congratulations on the 'win'. All I can say is that I'm glad the player base didn't vote on the ship design competition or we would have ended up with some useless **** from Mittens instead of the great designs that came out of it.
Ynot Eyob
Nisroc Angels
#64 - 2013-05-22 15:36:40 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
To the people complaining how the voting system doesnt work due to alliance/coalition bias:

What kind of realistic alternative do you suggest?

Are you going to forbid people from the same alliance to vote for members? That is retarted, dont be retarted.

There should have been a panel to do the voting.

The way this voting have been done, is not nessary the best story winning, but the guy who know most people.

If i hear it right, this is suppose to become a book of the best stories. If i buy a book, i exspect a good read, and not something a guy who know alot of people have posted, that one guy could have posted anything, like

Quote:
EVE is a great game, i started in the year 2007 and made history ever since

Nisroc - Angel of Freedom Nisroc is known as "The Great Eagle".

penifSMASH
ElitistOps
Goonswarm Federation
#65 - 2013-05-22 15:39:55 UTC
Tyrrax Thorkk more like Tyrrax ThorQQ
Tyrrax Thorrk
Guiding Hand Social Club
#66 - 2013-05-22 15:50:20 UTC
Tyrrax Thorrk more like Tyrrax ThorQQ would've actually been a good post, nice try tho loser
Corey Fumimasa
Court of Gods
Tsundere Triad
#67 - 2013-05-22 15:54:54 UTC
Congratulation's to Mittani and Xttz, and really all the authors. Great stories all the way around. I hope this becomes a regular event.

I just had this brilliant idea for a story about a guy that wins a bunch of PLEX and starts a PLEX lottery for everyone that gave him an upvote! =-)

In all seriousness though, well done!
Andrea Griffin
#68 - 2013-05-22 16:21:04 UTC
Ynot Eyob wrote:
KuroVolt wrote:
What kind of realistic alternative do you suggest? That is retarted, dont be retarted.
There should have been a panel to do the voting. [...] If i hear it right, this is suppose to become a book of the best stories. If i buy a book, i exspect a good read
Exactly.

The suspense - the tension - the intrigue - the drama! - of pushing a button to activate a terrible game mechanic! I pity the writer that has to turn that into something readable.

As for picking the winners, I'm totally cool with a popularity contest for the prizes. That's fine. I just don't want a crappy end product. I hope that CCP exerts some executive control and tosses out the crappy stories in favor of the interesting ones for the printed stuff.
Tyrrax Thorrk
Guiding Hand Social Club
#69 - 2013-05-22 16:36:41 UTC
I finally read the 9th (originally 10th) place story by Lord Maldoror, it's actually a pretty good read
Wrayeth
Inexorable Retribution
#70 - 2013-05-22 16:42:18 UTC
I'd seriously hoped that one of my former enemies' submissions would make it through, but it seems it was not to be. Still a damned good read, and has more to it than at least 95% of the other stories in question. Check it out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/ideas/946

Read the original submission, my first post in the discussion thread, then read the linked war diaries.
Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#71 - 2013-05-22 17:13:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Gaines
Meta Warrior wrote:
I was pulling/voting for the GH-SC story. Reading about it is what prompted me check out EvE. I now sub 3 accounts. Great story, Great PR work.

That said the BoB take down was #2 on my list.

Oh, and I completely agree with Kane.

The GHSC story is responsible for many joining the game (including myself), it should have been #1.

I remember there was a huge thread on OT about it, and a lot of us joined to see what all the fuss was about.

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2013-05-22 17:25:14 UTC  |  Edited by: March rabbit
forums rulezzzz

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2013-05-22 17:25:59 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
When you have power blocks able to vote en masse for one person any competition that involves players to vote is really worthless.

what is funny that CCP cannot learn from past and still give all powers to power-blocks...

I guess they even say "people have chosen winners" Shocked

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#74 - 2013-05-22 17:30:19 UTC
Tyrrax Thorrk wrote:
story lacked Buffy pictures

that line right there should have one first prize...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#75 - 2013-05-22 17:32:33 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:
And that folks is why I did not vote or post any stories.

When you have power blocks able to vote en masse for one person any competition that involves players to vote is really worthless.

Congrats on GS guys for winning all those juicy plexes and prizes by flexing their voting muscle.

Not empty quoting.

pretty much this... they should have left it up to some 3rd party to decide which one was best...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

penifSMASH
ElitistOps
Goonswarm Federation
#76 - 2013-05-22 17:43:35 UTC
Andrea Griffin wrote:
Ynot Eyob wrote:
KuroVolt wrote:
What kind of realistic alternative do you suggest? That is retarted, dont be retarted.
There should have been a panel to do the voting. [...] If i hear it right, this is suppose to become a book of the best stories. If i buy a book, i exspect a good read
Exactly.

The suspense - the tension - the intrigue - the drama! - of pushing a button to activate a terrible game mechanic! I pity the writer that has to turn that into something readable.

As for picking the winners, I'm totally cool with a popularity contest for the prizes. That's fine. I just don't want a crappy end product. I hope that CCP exerts some executive control and tosses out the crappy stories in favor of the interesting ones for the printed stuff.

The BoB disbanding story is what got me to start playing this game, so yeah the drama, story, and consequences of that little button push was enthralling enough to at least draw me in.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#77 - 2013-05-22 18:01:42 UTC
i have a story.

one time i trialed this game called eve. i liked it so i subbed. the end.

good story, no?

what do i win?
KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#78 - 2013-05-22 18:10:16 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
i have a story.

one time i trialed this game called eve. i liked it so i subbed. the end.

good story, no?

what do i win?

Congratulations! You have won a single ****!

Dont go spending that **** all at once now, cause its the only one you are ever going to get!

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Obunagawe
#79 - 2013-05-22 18:15:47 UTC
I don't know why they even bothered to write a story.

"Once upon a time, Goonswarm block voted and won 240 PLEX. The end."
Dub Step
Death To Everyone But Us
#80 - 2013-05-22 18:41:36 UTC
If the GH-SC heist doesn't go through as the greatest story in Eve history then there is something seriously wrong with the competition. It's a joke that it's done purely as a popularity contest.

If they want a mediocre outcome they are welcome to do it how they like but this is so typically sub-competent of :ccp: