These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

So is it safe to say that Amarr ships right now are kinda suck?

Author
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-12-20 05:13:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Diesel47
I feel like Subcap Amarr ships are really underpowered atm..

Amarr frigates aren't so good.
Legion really sucks.
Guns use cap and 95% of ships have less than 3 mid slots so using cap boosters = no utility.
Most ships slower than molasses.
Everything else sucks.
EVERYTHING SUCKS D:

Stuff that doesn't suck:
Battleship+
Omen and friends.

So it seems like flying anything that isn't a Cap/Battleship will make you 2nd rate to everything else.

Alot of their ships specialize in just being tanky, painfully slow, and mediocre DPS.

The only subcap ships worth flying seem to be anything "omen" and maybe the sac.
Otto Weston
Pod Goo Extraction Agency
#2 - 2012-12-20 05:57:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Otto Weston
I must disagree with most of your points.

Punisher - Solid PVP Frigate
Tormentor - Wild Card PVP frigate

Legion - Ok I agree here. It's sub-par.

Yes lasers use cap, but you gain so much. With T1 ammo you never have to reload.. range dicatation is easy with multiple ammo types and you have instant switching. Some ships are hard to fit with low amounts of mid slots, but that's what you pay for great tanks etc. Also most Amarr ships have in built cap reduction usage for lasers, and have larger capacitor pools anyway.

Some great ships -
Purifier (Best Bomber Imo)
Vengeance (Very Tough AF)
Maller (Gr8 Bait)
Pilgrim (Gr8 solo ship)
Curse (Gr8 gang ship)
Harbinger (High Dps, High Buffer, has enough mids)
Oracle (Nice Range, High Dps)
Absolution (High Dps, Ridiculous Active Tank)
Damnation (Ridiculous Buffer)

Battleships are ok apart from the poor Apoc. With the Oracle in existence, the only reason you'd pick an Apoc over an Oracle is for extra health.

Yes some ships are slow, but that's the playstyle, slow, tanky with good dps. If you didn't like the playstyle, you shouldn't have gone Amarr. Either way, I still love Amarr, and would choose it over the rest.
Everything's Air Droppable at least once.
bubble trout
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-12-20 07:36:36 UTC
Amarr ships aren't bad, in fact they are pretty strong.

If you double plate everything and triple trimark it then yes, it will be slow as ****. If you shield tank/nano it it won't be "slow".

Nano shield harbs, zealots, orcales, omens are all fast and have great damage and projection.

Lasers in general are high damage and good projection. They cost cap to fire, but then again amarr ships have strong cap regen and size. Amarr ships aren't the slowest, caldari are, take a look at base speeds (caracal, moa are 230 and 190, omen, maller are 235 and 195). They also have fairly low sig size, and mid pack sensor strength and scan res. Resist bonuses are really nice as you can use it for strong active tanking, buffer, or logi. Minmatar and gallente "tanking" ships don't get that option, they are purely active tank bonused.

Like every race in eve they are strong at certain things, and weaker at others. There is no best ship, there is no best race.
Mother Ducks
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#4 - 2012-12-20 07:57:20 UTC
Scorch would like to have a word with you, as well as the Curse and Pilgrim.

Amarr probably have the best damage projection to DPS ratio (Thank you scorch) and are known for their tank. You also have to remember that Amarr ships, sans battleships, are niche performers. Within the T1 arena, the Arbitrator is a great solo ship, but it has to pick and choose its enemies.

Beams are debatably the best long range weapon platforms, but I guess that depends vs what tank type (projectile might be better against armor).

The Amarr Battleship line is amongst the strongest at the moment. You can't go through a null engagement without tripping over a hundred Apocs and Geddons, and the Abbadon brought about the whole "Fox" doctrine. Why? High tank and amazing DPS projection. Suck it missiles!

In the T2 arena, the Pilgrim and Curse are amazing solo boats, though like their T1 cousin, they need to pick their battles. They want Cap heavy targets or targets that rely on optimal. TD and Neuts omnomnomnom.

So many people are quick to say "Race X sucks!" but that's only because they want each race to be a swiss army knife, ready for every situation. And no, don't bring up the Drake. That Ham sonofabitch is a DPS/Tank monster and won't survive Tierecide of the BC hull class. Look at your racial ships and realize what they are capable of. Either get fleet mates that play to your strength and weaknesses or pick your scenarios better.
W0lf Crendraven
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#5 - 2012-12-20 08:52:54 UTC  |  Edited by: W0lf Crendraven
Amarr ships are pretty good right now, good tech2 frigates and the slicer for tech1, good dessies, awesome cruiser lineup (the1/2/3, 100mn ham legion and even without that the lgion is pretty boss), good bcs, awesome battlehships!

Also the ham drake sucks in a pure stat battle, the harbi has more ehp/dps as does the armor cane/myrm!
Voi Lutois
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-12-20 13:30:50 UTC
no.
Cal Stantson
Percussus Resurgo.
Villore Accords
#7 - 2012-12-20 14:09:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Cal Stantson
The Punisher, Vengeance, Coercer, Arbitrator, Omen, Maller, Augoror, Curse, Zealot, Guardian, Harbinger, Oracle, Absolution, Damnation, Armageddon and Abaddon are some of the best ships in their class. But apart from that, yeah, Amarr suck.
Zarnak Wulf
Amarrian Vengeance
Team Amarrica
#8 - 2012-12-20 14:45:36 UTC
The Minmatar ships are coming up short in the rebalance so far. A Rupture or Rifter is an easy kill in FW now...
Koujjo Dian
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2012-12-20 14:57:52 UTC
Seems to me the problem with Amarr ships (solo) is their tracking is low to brawl and they're too slow to kite. Add cap usage problems to that along with lackluster ship bonuses and it seems every other races ships just outshine Amarr ships. There are some exceptions with the slicer, vengeance and other T2 ships but their T1 counterparts are pretty meh.

Take the punisher for example? The incurses will out DPS it, out tank it AND has better tracking. So why fly a punisher? For damage projection? What good is that if you can't dictate range? Not to mention every FW opponent you'll run into is going to be packing a TD or sensor damp which you cannot do because you only have two mid slots.

Amarr ships, laser boats specifically would be much better if they could shield tank and actually take advantage of their damage projection. Or maybe if they remove some of the ridiculous penalties from armor tanking, but until then Minmatar and Caldari ships will always be better for solo work.
Inkarr Hashur
Skyline Federation
#10 - 2012-12-20 15:08:45 UTC
Diesel47 wrote:
I feel like Subcap Amarr ships are really underpowered atm..

Amarr frigates aren't so good.
Legion really sucks.
Guns use cap and 95% of ships have less than 3 mid slots so using cap boosters = no utility.
Most ships slower than molasses.
Everything else sucks.
EVERYTHING SUCKS D:

Stuff that doesn't suck:
Battleship+
Omen and friends.

So it seems like flying anything that isn't a Cap/Battleship will make you 2nd rate to everything else.

Alot of their ships specialize in just being tanky, painfully slow, and mediocre DPS.

The only subcap ships worth flying seem to be anything "omen" and maybe the sac.

Most amarr ships have 4 or more mid-slots so whatever you're doing its wrong.
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#11 - 2012-12-20 16:44:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Kahega Amielden
Everything Amarr has cruiser and below save maybe their inties and the Dragoon (not sure about it) is excellent.

Quote:
Seems to me the problem with Amarr ships (solo) is their tracking is low to brawl and they're too slow to kite. Add cap usage problems to that along with lackluster ship bonuses and it seems every other races ships just outshine Amarr ships. There are some exceptions with the slicer, vengeance and other T2 ships but their T1 counterparts are pretty meh.

Amarr has a few good solo ships (vengeance comes to mind) but yes, in general Amarr ships are more gang-focused. This is not really a bad thing, and ships in general are not balanced for solo work.
Mother Ducks
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#12 - 2012-12-20 18:02:18 UTC
W0lf Crendraven wrote:
Amarr ships are pretty good right now, good tech2 frigates and the slicer for tech1, good dessies, awesome cruiser lineup (the1/2/3, 100mn ham legion and even without that the lgion is pretty boss), good bcs, awesome battlehships!

Also the ham drake sucks in a pure stat battle, the harbi has more ehp/dps as does the armor cane/myrm!

I don't know how you are fitting your HAM Drake, but mine does more DPS than my armor cane, has more EHP, moves faster, and has better applied damage to BC up (only because I put two webs on my armor cane for cruiser down). HAM drake with scram web will eat any other BC that isn't dropping boosters like dey hot. God forbid I put missile implants in my head and just make it stupid.
chris elliot
Hateful Intent
Hostile Intervention
#13 - 2012-12-20 22:20:41 UTC
Why does everyone forget... triage archon ftmfw
Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-12-20 22:40:30 UTC
Oracle and Zealot is about the only good DPS supcap ships for Amarr

harbinger - too slow, even the nano ones
omen - not enough cap

The problem is the current game style that is popular is fast/skirmishy, which does not favor amarr
Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-12-20 22:48:34 UTC
Quote:
The Punisher, Vengeance, Coercer, Arbitrator, Omen, Maller, Augoror, Curse, Zealot, Guardian, Harbinger, Oracle, Absolution, Damnation, Armageddon and Abaddon are some of the best ships in their class. Bur apart from that, yeah, Amarr suck.

I think you just listed all my favourite Amarr ships. No, wait, Executioner and Dragoon are missing. Beyond that, I can't wait to see the new Prophecy and I really hope it'll have something similar to Dragoon's neut and Arbi's TD bonus. Or will it be the mini Geddon? :)
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-12-20 22:54:54 UTC
Otto Weston wrote:
I must disagree with most of your points.

Punisher - Solid PVP Frigate
Tormentor - Wild Card PVP frigate

Legion - Ok I agree here. It's sub-par.

Yes lasers use cap, but you gain so much. With T1 ammo you never have to reload.. range dicatation is easy with multiple ammo types and you have instant switching. Some ships are hard to fit with low amounts of mid slots, but that's what you pay for great tanks etc. Also most Amarr ships have in built cap reduction usage for lasers, and have larger capacitor pools anyway.

Some great ships -
Purifier (Best Bomber Imo)
Vengeance (Very Tough AF)
Maller (Gr8 Bait)
Pilgrim (Gr8 solo ship)
Curse (Gr8 gang ship)
Harbinger (High Dps, High Buffer, has enough mids)
Oracle (Nice Range, High Dps)
Absolution (High Dps, Ridiculous Active Tank)
Damnation (Ridiculous Buffer)

Battleships are ok apart from the poor Apoc. With the Oracle in existence, the only reason you'd pick an Apoc over an Oracle is for extra health.

Yes some ships are slow, but that's the playstyle, slow, tanky with good dps. If you didn't like the playstyle, you shouldn't have gone Amarr. Either way, I still love Amarr, and would choose it over the rest.

Maller isn't "gr8 bait" when everybody who sees a maller instantly screams bait. I would never attack a maller without checking a killboard to see if its bait or not.

Harbinger DPS isn't too high, its mearly okay. Absolution? Since when is 500 dps high? And why would you ever active tank an absolution.. Lol.

Most amarr ships are mearly okay. Only a few can have a chance at even doing anything that isn't fleet work. It kinda sucks having every ship at your disposal being a fleet ship and nothing else, no variety.

Yeah I get that they are suppose to be slow and tanky, but every other race has some other options when it comes to how to fit. With amarr it feels like the same ship over and over again with different models and a few changed bonuses.
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-12-20 22:57:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Diesel47
Lyron-Baktos wrote:
Oracle and Zealot is about the only good DPS supcap ships for Amarr

harbinger - too slow, even the nano ones
omen - not enough cap

The problem is the current game style that is popular is fast/skirmishy, which does not favor amarr

^

Inkarr Hashur wrote:

Most amarr ships have 4 or more mid-slots so whatever you're doing its wrong.

Haha, lol.

Troll.

Mother Ducks wrote:
Scorch would like to have a word with you, as well as the Curse and Pilgrim.

Amarr probably have the best damage projection to DPS ratio (Thank you scorch) and are known for their tank. You also have to remember that Amarr ships, sans battleships, are niche performers. Within the T1 arena, the Arbitrator is a great solo ship, but it has to pick and choose its enemies.

Beams are debatably the best long range weapon platforms, but I guess that depends vs what tank type (projectile might be better against armor).

The Amarr Battleship line is amongst the strongest at the moment. You can't go through a null engagement without tripping over a hundred Apocs and Geddons, and the Abbadon brought about the whole "Fox" doctrine. Why? High tank and amazing DPS projection. Suck it missiles!

In the T2 arena, the Pilgrim and Curse are amazing solo boats, though like their T1 cousin, they need to pick their battles. They want Cap heavy targets or targets that rely on optimal. TD and Neuts omnomnomnom.

So many people are quick to say "Race X sucks!" but that's only because they want each race to be a swiss army knife, ready for every situation. And no, don't bring up the Drake. That Ham sonofabitch is a DPS/Tank monster and won't survive Tierecide of the BC hull class. Look at your racial ships and realize what they are capable of. Either get fleet mates that play to your strength and weaknesses or pick your scenarios better.

Scorch is ALL amarr has.. WIthout it, amarr would be even more bad then it is right now.

And like I said, anything that isn't fleet work is bad for amarr. Spend months and months training for amarr ships and you either do blob-fleet engagements or you are doing it wrong. Out of the 50+ ships in the amarr arsenal, the curse and pilgrim are the only ones worth flying solo the way you describe it. Pretty sad.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#18 - 2012-12-20 23:33:21 UTC
slicer, sentinel, ... ehhrr BESTOWER!

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#19 - 2012-12-20 23:39:29 UTC
Diesel47 wrote:
Scorch is ALL amarr has.. WIthout it, amarr would be even more bad then it is right now.

And what if you remove null and barrage ? Oh ! AC and blasters would be even more bad then it is right now !

Thank you for this revelation : we now nkow that T2 ammo are very useful !

Quote:

The conclusion to this is NOT that amarr are bad.

IMO, the Amarr problem, if any, is armor tank.
Ginger Barbarella
#20 - 2012-12-20 23:44:40 UTC
tl;dr

I agree, damnit! Curse SUX!!!

Wait.... no Pilgrim SUX!!

Hang on... No, it's the PALADIN that sucks rox!!

Wait a second... I think I see a pattern here...

Roll

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

123Next pageLast page