These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Battlestar Galactica

Author
Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#1 - 2012-12-20 10:46:20 UTC
I just watched the whole series again start to finish.

I have to say... It really is the best sci-fi show you will ever watch. Best show period really.

Hopefully someday, Eve.

...but seriously. If you haven't watched it mini-series through Razor and on to the finally, you are only screwing yourself. It's an amazing opera. Watch it if you can. Torrent it if you are in a free country. You won't regret it.

Pirate

Signatures should be used responsibly...

pussnheels
Viziam
#2 - 2012-12-20 10:50:17 UTC
i loved the first 3 seasons
i gave up on the 2nd episode of the 4 th season because i couldn't stand the over religious theme it was heading maybe i did miss something maybe i didn't

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#3 - 2012-12-20 10:53:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
pussnheels wrote:
i loved the first 3 seasons
i gave up on the 2nd episode of the 4 th season because i couldn't stand the over religious theme it was heading maybe i did miss something maybe i didn't

There's no "maybe" about it. You totally missed something. I had to fight back tears when Baltar was talking about cultivation. If you can fight through it you can watch humanity hit rock bottom. It's brutal and beautiful. All that religious crap didn't mean a god-damn thing in the end. Blink

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#4 - 2012-12-20 11:45:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Except that we know the whole final season (especially the second half) was a major seat-of-your-pants asspull by the producers and writers. It's only "magical" if you "will it" to be so, while also ignoring anything of what is common knowledge regarding what actually happened in real life with the show.
As far as I am concerned, they totally failed to deliver on any serious expectations, and the finale was somewhat of a letdown (or, if you prefer, cop-out) in artistic terms.

That being said, the first three seasons were quite good. Not the best they could be, but good enough to warrant attention from me.
Anyway, the point is, I disagree with the "best sci-fi show you will ever watch" label.
MAYBE somewhere near the middle of the top 10, if we're being generous.

Babylon 5, Firefly, various Star Treks (my personal fav being ST-DS9), The Outer Limits,Stargate SG-1 (not so much the others), or say, Farscape, even less "pure sci-fi" ones like Eureka, Fringe and Doctor Who are better contenders for the top few spots IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it's a "must watch" show for Sci-Fi fans, but not the first name on my lips if I had to make a list.
Elias Greyhand
#5 - 2012-12-20 14:10:29 UTC
[quote=Akita T]Don't get me wrong, it's a "must watch" show for Sci-Fi fans...quote]

Really?

I'm a major sci-fi fan but it's never really interested me and I've never watched an episode.

"That which is done cannot be undone. But it can be avenged."

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#6 - 2012-12-20 14:34:36 UTC
Elias Greyhand wrote:
Akita T wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it's a "must watch" show for Sci-Fi fans...


Really?

I'm a major sci-fi fan but it's never really interested me and I've never watched an episode.



Fixed yer quote.

If you've never watched an episode, how do you know its not interesting? I kind of pulled the same act with many shows as well until I got into them, BSG and Breaking Bad being 2 of those shows. When I got to BSG I was averaging 2 episodes a night and with breaking bad I went through the 4 seasons on netflix in a week.

The combat in BSG is simply spectacular, but I agree that the religious overtone was becoming a bit much towards the later half, and it's even worse in Caprica. I always like to go back to the last episode where Galactica makes it's final jump because I think the cinematic was pretty good right at that part.

I wonder how Blood and chrome will turn out.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Wilhelm Riley
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-12-20 16:12:42 UTC
Akita T wrote:
What Akita said.

Can I assume that's also your response to the end of Lost?



Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#8 - 2012-12-20 16:21:08 UTC
The space battles are great. The story, if you take of your rose-tinted glasses, could be better, a lot better in places.

Overall it is pretty good but no contender when compared to shows like Firefly or the better ST shows.
Graygor
1kB Realty
#9 - 2012-12-20 16:27:51 UTC
Am I the only person who quite liked the original for its campyness?

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#10 - 2012-12-20 17:38:18 UTC
Graygor wrote:
Am I the only person who quite liked the original for its campyness?


Original Starbuck best Starbuck. She's nice and all but Faceman got da charm.
Elias Greyhand
#11 - 2012-12-20 18:01:12 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Elias Greyhand wrote:
Akita T wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it's a "must watch" show for Sci-Fi fans...


Really?

I'm a major sci-fi fan but it's never really interested me and I've never watched an episode.



Fixed yer quote.

If you've never watched an episode, how do you know its not interesting?


I rely on trailers to entice me, something they never did.

Possibly my big problem is that I see it as another "the trials and tribulations of a threatened Humanity" thing. I get that a racial apocolypse is a very useful plot vehicle but it gets a bit samey.

It's one of the reasons I loved Firefly; it wasn't about the end of the world, it was the joys and sorrows of a small section of Humanity.

"That which is done cannot be undone. But it can be avenged."

Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-12-20 22:46:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ila Dace
I always hate when a good science fiction show, like BSG, mixes magic into the storyline. Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy, but in science fiction I expect concrete rationale for what's presented. When they start slinging miracles left and right as mere plot solutions (poof... Starbuck's alive again... no explanation... nope, not a Cylon), it diminishes the construct of the fiction.

It's why I loathed the crossover of Warehouse 13 (crappy fantasy *) with Eureka (science fiction in season 1, then completely ruined by the "SyFy" channel).

Can you imagine Mr. Plinkett's review of BSG? Didn't the Cylons have a plan? If the final 5 are the original 5, why have they been called final all this time? Also, couldn't the Cylons just peek into the body tanks to see who the final 5 are? The resurrection ship has to stock them in order for the consciousness transfer to work. And magic lets a Cylon have a baby with a human? What?

I don't know the back story, but the fiction turned into a colossal mess. I can almost hear the conversations: "Yeah, turn up the religious stuff to 11, that'll increase drama." "I know, we'll turn this whole show into a prequel of the original, that's it!"

You might as well chuck the fleet into the Sun, you already did that to suspension of disbelief a long time ago.


* The conceit of Warehouse 13 is that every amazing accomplishment in human history was achieved because those famous for the accomplishment had some kind of magic artifact. I hate that premise.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#13 - 2012-12-21 01:12:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Ila Dace wrote:
The conceit of Warehouse 13 is that every amazing accomplishment in human history was achieved because those famous for the accomplishment had some kind of magic artifact. I hate that premise.

Actually, it's sort of the other way around, but they only built on that much later on in the series.
Supposedly the artifacts are created by some sort of spectacular or extraordinary feat, or some catastrophe, or a singular willpower of a person, and their power references, mimics or emulates the said event and/or person's "essence", or much more rarely, the exact opposite or foil of it.
So it's not that these people in history succeeded because of the artifacts they might have had, it's that the artifacts came into being because of the feats of extraordinary people (or extraordinary feats of regular people).

Wilhelm Riley wrote:
Can I assume that's also your response to the end of Lost?

Funny enough, I never really got into "Lost" to begin with.
It took quite a while to even realize it's supposed to be Sci-Fi (or sort of, anyway).
I've watched a few episodes here and there, but it didn't appeal to me strongly enough to keep watching it. Then again, I only watched the first episode when it was already airing season 4 (IIRC) or thereabouts, and the buzz was already about the things getting overly and needlessly complicated, so I guess my opinion was a bit tainted to begin with.
So, I really don't have any strong opinions about it, since I haven't watched it.

Elias Greyhand wrote:
I rely on trailers to entice me, something they never did. [...] I get that a racial apocolypse is a very useful plot vehicle but it gets a bit samey. [...] Firefly [...]

Trailers are usually at best misleading.
I don't mean trailers for this show in particular, I mean trailers in general.
To be honest, if I wouldn't have been a BSG fan back from my kid years watching random TV, I probably would have waited a lot longer to watch this new one myself. It was cheesy, campy and cheap, but it was loads of fun for a young teenager. This new one is far more realistic and serious though, at least for most of the early run.

Honestly, the fact it's the last survivors of (the|a) human race is not really such a critical point in most episodes.
Yeah, it's used to cheaply raise the emotional stakes early on, and to add some cheap weight to some scenes, but really, it might as well been about a human colony on some planet with little outside help (come to thing of it, that's the vague plot outline of "Terra Nova", which was pretty decent, but was canceled after just one season), or about a ship lost at sea trying to find its way back home (oh, wait, that's "The Wanderings of Odysseus ", rofl).
To me, the scenes where Baltar has two simultaneous conversations, one with somebody in "real life" and the other with his "brain pal Six", those really stole the show. Too bad there were nowhere near enough for my liking. Oh, yeah, team Baltar over here btw. How can you not love a traitorous coward genius ? Also, the female Starbuck got less and less tolerable as time went on, and it got really grating after the mysterious resurrection.
Honestly, while the fight scenes do get your eye, it wasn't the reason I kept watching the first few seasons. In a weird way, the "abridged" version of the first three seasons (main cast, ignore the doomsday plot parts) is quite similar to Firefly in several interesting ways. Then it goes to hell in a handbasket though.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#14 - 2012-12-21 02:44:54 UTC
Akita T wrote:
.......various Star Treks (my personal fav being ST-DS9)

Shocked


My God, someone else finally agrees with me on that !


"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#15 - 2012-12-21 02:45:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Elias Greyhand wrote:
[quote=Akita T]Don't get me wrong, it's a "must watch" show for Sci-Fi fans...quote]

Really?

I'm a major sci-fi fan but it's never really interested me and I've never watched an episode.



Then you are doing it wrong.


Smile

Although your comment is idiotic and shows contempt prior to even investigation of said subject. I'm just sayin'.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#16 - 2012-12-21 02:48:36 UTC
Elias Greyhand wrote:

It's one of the reasons I loved Firefly; it wasn't about the end of the world, it was the joys and sorrows of a small section of Humanity.



Erm. Sounds just like Battlestar to me..........................

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

pussnheels
Viziam
#17 - 2012-12-21 11:29:58 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Akita T wrote:
.......various Star Treks (my personal fav being ST-DS9)

Shocked


My God, someone else finally agrees with me on that !




hey akita isn't the only who likes DS9
it was one of the best Star Trek series ever
didn't miss one episode

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Xtreem
Knockaround Guys Inc.
#18 - 2012-12-21 12:16:29 UTC
DS9 was good because the captain had some balls, always used to annoy me, picard would get shot at by 3 Klingon birds of pray or something, and then be "fire phasers" WHAT? NO!! FIRE AT WILL DAMMIT! Sisco did that, and was a badass!

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#19 - 2012-12-21 13:21:12 UTC
Some of the story ideas were pretty brave, and it was not afraid of 'cinematography'.

I remember a scene with Jake and Kira that was their silhouettes talking in a dark room in front of a small window showing only a few stars for lighting. Networks don't like what appears to be a black screen. They gave David Lynch a hard time with that in a few scenes in "Twin Peaks".

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#20 - 2012-12-21 13:21:33 UTC
Xtreem wrote:
DS9 was good because the captain had some balls, always used to annoy me, picard would get shot at by 3 Klingon birds of pray or something, and then be "fire phasers" WHAT? NO!! FIRE AT WILL DAMMIT! Sisco did that, and was a badass!




Hell Sisco took control and fired the phasers himself a few times if I recall. Then for gratitude they contracted probably the most badass little federation warship to the station.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

123Next page