These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Battlestar Galactica

Author
Juno Valerii
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-02-02 00:48:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Juno Valerii
Montevius Williams wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Brujo Loco wrote:
Comparison stuff

Well I think that answers the question of why my friends mother enjoyed the series so much. I'm going to have to point this out to him when I get home.

I just finished up rewatching the series again. My 2 favorite scenes from the whole series consists of the battle scene on New Caprica when they combat jump Galactica right into atmo, and the scene where Galactica makes its final jump and finally buckles.

As for the cylon detector, it was never guaranteed to work right or else it would have caught Chief, the XO, and his wife, and because Baltar lied about Boomer it was deemed inconsistent and unreliable, hence why it wasn't used much.

However I do agree that the Kara Thrace death, rebirth, and eventual disappearing act was a crap story arch and didn't care for that at all.

It also bugs me that that so many people watched Gaius be batshit crazy day after day, what with ramming himself into walls, twisting his own arms, choking himself with his tie, jerking off in a room full of blood samples, and generally having rather revealing conversations with himself, and through all that nobody thought once to maybe locked him up in a padded room or perhaps remove him from such sensitive departments. Instead they opted to make him a president and then a cult leader.

Yea the Galactica atmosphere drop was a jaw drop moment for me.

I liked Kara Thrace pre death. She was bad ass. After her death, she didnt have the same impact as a character since she was something other than human.

Im not sure that was actually Starbuck after her death. I tend to think it was another "angel" like headsix, just in a form the humans might trust.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#42 - 2013-02-02 00:54:57 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

It also bugs me that that so many people watched Gaius be batshit crazy day after day, what with ramming himself into walls, twisting his own arms, choking himself with his tie, jerking off in a room full of blood samples, and generally having rather revealing conversations with himself, and through all that nobody thought once to maybe locked him up in a padded room or perhaps remove him from such sensitive departments. Instead they opted to make him a president and then a cult leader.

Sounds like he was fairly qualified tbh (I don't hold politicians or religion in high regard).

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#43 - 2013-02-02 00:59:12 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

Sounds like he was fairly qualified tbh (I don't hold politicians or religion in high regard).

At the end of the day if I had to pick one character the show was about it would be Gaius Baltar.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#44 - 2013-02-02 01:51:45 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

At the end of the day if I had to pick one character the show was about it would be Gaius Baltar.

Brilliant Doctor, Politician, Astronomer, Religious leader, pimp.

Gaius Baltar.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#45 - 2013-02-04 18:05:02 UTC
Really, really enjoying the complete Deep Space 9 currently on Hulu.

Season 1 has a few weak spots but no truly bad episode so far.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#46 - 2013-02-04 18:41:39 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

You know what would be a cool one that could use a reboot? Babylon 5. Big smile

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#47 - 2013-02-04 18:48:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Gogela wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

You know what would be a cool one that could use a reboot? Babylon 5. Big smile

One can always hold out hope, but then apparently J. Michael Straczynski is more fascinated by WWII at the moment: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60722

Like......seriously and for reallz ?

Edit: just noticed in that article that one of the Producer's last names is Golightly ! I always though that was a fake name owned by the great Miss Hepburn.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Reiisha
#48 - 2013-02-04 19:25:44 UTC
Akita T wrote:
Stargate SG-1 (not so much the others)

Second half of season 2 of Universe was pretty damn awesome. Felt like the first 30 episodes they didn't really know what to do, but the last 10 were of such quality that it made me curse Syfy for cancelling it. Really makes me wonder what could have been.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#49 - 2013-02-04 19:37:39 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
Akita T wrote:
Stargate SG-1 (not so much the others)

Second half of season 2 of Universe was pretty damn awesome. Felt like the first 30 episodes they didn't really know what to do, but the last 10 were of such quality that it made me curse Syfy for cancelling it. Really makes me wonder what could have been.

As much as I hate syfy, I can't blame them for the show not getting high ratings. We're talking about the 3rd installment of a franchise that was already wearing thin with Altlantis followed by the fact that they were attempting to copy BSG by connecting us more with the crew and less on the overall story, which amazingly is about a bunch of people lost in space trying to find their way home, i.e. the same plot as Atlantis and BSG.

Syfy gave them decent air time, unlike Fox and airing Firefly at Sunday Midnight when everyone is asleep because they have to work in the morning, then claiming that it got no views. The idea with SG:U was that they were going to stop airing it, but continue making straight to disk seasons. Doesn't look like it ever panned out.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Jonah Gravenstein
#50 - 2013-02-04 19:50:35 UTC
Stargate and it's spinoffs did have a damn good run, SGU season 2 was starting to make sense towards the end, it's a shame that they didn't do the direct to disk followup though, I'm a proud owner of both BSG & SG boxsets Big smile

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Calico-Jack Daniels
#51 - 2013-02-04 20:17:31 UTC
This and This are my preferred Sci-Fi from my youth...

I go well with Quafe...

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#52 - 2013-02-04 21:38:14 UTC
Calico-Jack Daniels wrote:
This and This are my preferred Sci-Fi from my youth...

Funny. I call those The Dark Days.

I love SF but I couldn't really stand either show even though I was the perfect age of 13 for them. I was reading a lot of more serious adult SF by then and I guess it took a lot to impress me.

Got Twiki's autograph at a convention anyway.

Jonah Gravenstein
#53 - 2013-02-04 21:42:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Only two things stuck in my mind about Buck Rogers, Twiki saying "Eat lead sucker bid-bidi-bidi" and Wilma Deerings tight/short outfits. The original BSG was cheesy, trashy and most excellent because of it.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#54 - 2013-02-05 00:06:37 UTC
Brujo Loco wrote:
Firefly was good, Babylon 5 was unparalleled in history, background and that strange sense of alien cultures, but for me Babylon 5 is like the standard to measure Sci-Fi in terms of depth.

I completely agree with that. I have a theory why B5 is so unparalleled. JMS actually had the epic plot for those 5 sessions planed BEFORE he went into production. I think that was the whole secret (yeah and the excellent cast of course).

All the hints about the Shadows and Vorlons in the early series. The time travel story with B4. The different paths different characters took to unravel the secrets of the Shadows. And it all fits together because that story was planed from the start.

While I enjoyed watching DS9 and BSG, it always felt like they build up some mysteries as they go and if the time is come to uncover the truth they invent some kind of deus ex machina to solve the situation.

I understand that maybe they don't know how long the show will run and that's probably why they don't plan an epic plot that takes x seasons.

What I can't understand is why they don't create that epic plot anyway with some backup plans if they have to cancel the show early. Why would anyone put millions into a show without the epic plot already worked out?

If i'm not mistaken in BSG they didn't even know who the final five where until the wrote the script that reviled their identity. I mean for fraks sake.. how hard can it be to plan such an important thing from the start? It was so fraking obvious they just made that up as they went. frak!

And to give the final blow to my reputation: I actually think Stargate Universe had potential once all that initial whining and drama was over. So there
Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2013-02-05 18:48:27 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:
snip...

If i'm not mistaken in BSG they didn't even know who the final five where until the wrote the script that reviled their identity.

I too reviled their identity. Big smile
Karak Terrel wrote:
And to give the final blow to my reputation: I actually think Stargate Universe had potential once all that initial whining and drama was over. So there

It was a good show, but not something Universal knew how to deal with. Their decisions all flowed toward "MOAR wrestling!" They're in the process of doing the same thing to G4, having cancelled X-Play and AotS.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Previous page123