These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

UPDATED - Unscheduled Downtime - November 4th

First post First post
Author
Mourning Souls
Minmatar Republic
#181 - 2012-11-04 04:21:08 UTC
Back online, butt load of ships still in POS.

Get off the forums RVB and grab a ship.
Alliria Seedspawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#182 - 2012-11-04 04:22:38 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:


UPDATE - 04:10 GMT 04/11/12 - Tranquility is online and accepting connections! Spaceships for everyone!



Are you able to break down the cause into dumb speak for us non-computer literate folks?
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#183 - 2012-11-04 04:24:32 UTC
Alliria Seedspawn wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:


UPDATE - 04:10 GMT 04/11/12 - Tranquility is online and accepting connections! Spaceships for everyone!



Are you able to break down the cause into dumb speak for us non-computer literate folks?


Flux capacitor overload

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Kenneth O'Hara
Sebiestor Tribe
#184 - 2012-11-04 04:24:47 UTC
Alliria Seedspawn wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:


UPDATE - 04:10 GMT 04/11/12 - Tranquility is online and accepting connections! Spaceships for everyone!



Are you able to break down the cause into dumb speak for us non-computer literate folks?

or both?

Bring Saede Riordan back!! Never Forget! _"__Operation Godzilla Smacks Zeus"  ~__Graygor _

Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#185 - 2012-11-04 04:25:18 UTC
So I assume this is happening in the offices, right?

http://i.imgur.com/VY8SK.jpg
PuertoRock007 ImmortalOnes
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#186 - 2012-11-04 04:27:12 UTC
It'd be awesome is all the data was corrupted? Are you mad?

Evolutionary Titan

oien cabrereas
Gold Trading Inc..
#187 - 2012-11-04 04:30:49 UTC
When ccp say spaceships they ment it? Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

I want a nightmare pls.....
Sarlot
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#188 - 2012-11-04 04:35:37 UTC
Well it's the end of daylight savings time here in the states so that lost hour or so is close to break even I'd say.
Retmas
Common Sense Ltd
Nulli Secunda
#189 - 2012-11-04 04:37:05 UTC
i think we should all get faction noobships for this. -nods sagely-
Territorial Dosan
Juarez Cartel
#190 - 2012-11-04 04:37:15 UTC
Ya know, 100k free SP for every hour you had the servers down?

Seems legit I think.... Big smile
Octoven
Noir Holdings
#191 - 2012-11-04 05:01:43 UTC
It would be nice to have a brief but more detailed explanation other than, "we are having hardware issues." I mean it doesn't need to be a full brief. Either way, glad to see it back up and online I haven't seen a crash this bad in a loooong time. CCP, please keep us informed with the issue in a blog or something. We are PC gamers and though most of us don't fully understand or appreciate the complexities in the creation of EVE, some of us do get the details even if they are a bit technical.

To use a crude metaphor, I can say my computer is having issues. Ok, well that doesnt say anything. I believe CCP is smart enough to know that it is either the ram or HD in a simplistic viewpoint without knowing the actual cause. So maybe like which portion of the hardware failed?
Derek Ubering
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#192 - 2012-11-04 05:10:29 UTC
Cool
CCP Falcon
#193 - 2012-11-04 05:12:36 UTC
Octoven wrote:
It would be nice to have a brief but more detailed explanation other than, "we are having hardware issues." I mean it doesn't need to be a full brief. Either way, glad to see it back up and online I haven't seen a crash this bad in a loooong time. CCP, please keep us informed with the issue in a blog or something. We are PC gamers and though most of us don't fully understand or appreciate the complexities in the creation of EVE, some of us do get the details even if they are a bit technical.

To use a crude metaphor, I can say my computer is having issues. Ok, well that doesnt say anything. I believe CCP is smart enough to know that it is either the ram or HD in a simplistic viewpoint without knowing the actual cause. So maybe like which portion of the hardware failed?


I'm speaking with Virtual Worlds & Operations at present and we're preparing a little more detail.

Please be patient, there are a lot of very tired Devs currently running on coffee and soda in the office and datacentre hehe Big smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Kenneth O'Hara
Sebiestor Tribe
#194 - 2012-11-04 05:17:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Kenneth O'Hara
CCP Falcon wrote:
Octoven wrote:
It would be nice to have a brief but more detailed explanation other than, "we are having hardware issues." I mean it doesn't need to be a full brief. Either way, glad to see it back up and online I haven't seen a crash this bad in a loooong time. CCP, please keep us informed with the issue in a blog or something. We are PC gamers and though most of us don't fully understand or appreciate the complexities in the creation of EVE, some of us do get the details even if they are a bit technical.

To use a crude metaphor, I can say my computer is having issues. Ok, well that doesnt say anything. I believe CCP is smart enough to know that it is either the ram or HD in a simplistic viewpoint without knowing the actual cause. So maybe like which portion of the hardware failed?


I'm speaking with Virtual Worlds & Operations at present and we're preparing a little more detail.

Please be patient, there are a lot of very tired Devs currently running on coffee and soda in the office and datacentre hehe Big smile


At least you're giving us a heads up and let us know that there is going to be a statement. Now how detailed is still TBD.

BTW, tell them all I thank them.

Bring Saede Riordan back!! Never Forget! _"__Operation Godzilla Smacks Zeus"  ~__Graygor _

CCP Falcon
#195 - 2012-11-04 05:30:29 UTC
Further details added in the original post Smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#196 - 2012-11-04 05:41:43 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

Please be patient, there are a lot of very tired Devs currently running on coffee and soda in the office and datacentre hehe Big smile



Since we got a bunch of DEVs all hopped up on caffine in the office now how about a surprise live EVENT in the US/AUS TZ! LolBlink
An' then [email protected], he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Wolfstorm
STK Scientific
The Initiative.
#197 - 2012-11-04 06:00:44 UTC
I'm taking bets that a RAMSAN blew up in an nifty new way.... =)
MinefieldS
1 Sick Duck Standss on something
#198 - 2012-11-04 06:12:51 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Tranquility and our web services were taken offline for an emergency reboot at 01:05 GMT on November 4th.

We are currently investigating ongoing server issues. At present the ETA for Tranquility to be back online is 1.5 hours.

This thread will be updated when we have more information. We apologize for any inconvenience caused for the unscheduled downtime.

  • UPDATE - 03:55 GMT 04/11/12 - Tranquility is online for testing and is currently not accepting connections.
  • UPDATE - 04:10 GMT 04/11/12 - Tranquility is online and accepting connections! Spaceships for everyone!
  • UPDATE - 05:25 GMT 04/11/12 - Further information regarding the outage from Virtual Worlds Operations:

  • We cannot disclose any details at this moment but tonight we encountered an issue in a large part of our backend storage @ 23:05 GMT which caused an outage on multiple services.

    This had an impact on EVE, Dust and our websites. Our Virtual World Operations team immediately started work on getting the storage and services online again.

    Analysis is underway on the cause of the outage and backend storage redundancy failure.

  • TQ was taken offline @ 01:05 due to ingame issues.
  • Web services were brought online @ 03:10
  • TQ was online again for players @ 04:12

It's all because of YOU!!!!!111!!!1111!!!!111122222233334455667889900
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#199 - 2012-11-04 06:16:18 UTC
Andski wrote:
nortelslug wrote:
This.

100% uptime HA costs HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars, plus full hardware replacement in multiple datacenters at regular intervals + running a backup internet. For $200/[email protected] players, it MIGHT be doable.

**** happens. Move on with your life and come back tomorrow. The world did not end.


A backup Internet?

More than one potential connection, meaning multiple available service providers hooked into the backend. I assume that is what he meant anyway.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#200 - 2012-11-04 06:23:16 UTC
Trokiel wrote:
Well, at least this gave me enough time to go into the kitchen and make a huge batch of chili and then go outside for some fresh air!


Well, you'll probably need fresh air after all that chili. Smile
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub