These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Logoffski exploit, video proof.

First post
Author
Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#301 - 2012-05-09 20:18:34 UTC
FeralShadow wrote:
Let me tell you a story, a story about pirates camping an entry system into our area of space. One day these pirates, while doing their usual shenanigans, notice a freighter jumped into their system. We were working our hardest to blockade this area of space to prevent our enemies from gaining reinforcements. We were elated that there was a freighter, likely from our enemies, that jumped randomly into our waiting arms. He decloaked, we pointed, locked, attacked, and then he disappeared.

We were, rightly so, angry. So, we did the only thing that was left to us. While this guy was logged off and doing other things, we had at LEASt 1 person sitting on that stargate 23/7 for the next 3 weeks waiting for this guy to log in. He likely had a neutral alt looking at us every now and then because he never ever logged in. After 3 weeks of waking up early, staying up really late, missing classes and work, we re-evaluated our position. We had poured countless hours into the camping of this stargate for the freighter, our locator agents told us he was still in system, so we knew he hadn't gotten out. But, because the freighter pilot was logged off, he could go do whatever he wanted and waste days and days of our lives while he just checked back every once in a while to see if it was safe. After 3 weeks we just couldn't keep it up, so we went back to our normal routine.

He promptly logged in, warped off, and went on to safety.

Moral of the story? This guy was a complete idiot and jumped unscouted into our camp. He logged off, so we couldn't kill him in time. Then we had to put days of our lives into camping for the freighter, while the target only had to look at our forces every once in a while, and he went and did other stuff. The amount of time we had to invest in killing him was WAY out proportional to the effort he had to do to ensure his complete safety. Camping the system for the freighter to log in just doesn't work because he can just stay offline indefinately until we give up. Additionally there was no way that we could have ever possibly killed him, since he logged out immediately upon jumping in.

It's a broken mechanic. If we're able to aggress before he can warp off, he deserves to die.

All of this ^

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#302 - 2012-05-09 21:07:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
Gogela wrote:
FeralShadow wrote:
Let me tell you a story, a story about pirates camping an entry system into our area of space. One day these pirates, while doing their usual shenanigans, notice a freighter jumped into their system. We were working our hardest to blockade this area of space to prevent our enemies from gaining reinforcements. We were elated that there was a freighter, likely from our enemies, that jumped randomly into our waiting arms. He decloaked, we pointed, locked, attacked, and then he disappeared.

We were, rightly so, angry. So, we did the only thing that was left to us. While this guy was logged off and doing other things, we had at LEASt 1 person sitting on that stargate 23/7 for the next 3 weeks waiting for this guy to log in. He likely had a neutral alt looking at us every now and then because he never ever logged in. After 3 weeks of waking up early, staying up really late, missing classes and work, we re-evaluated our position. We had poured countless hours into the camping of this stargate for the freighter, our locator agents told us he was still in system, so we knew he hadn't gotten out. But, because the freighter pilot was logged off, he could go do whatever he wanted and waste days and days of our lives while he just checked back every once in a while to see if it was safe. After 3 weeks we just couldn't keep it up, so we went back to our normal routine.

He promptly logged in, warped off, and went on to safety.

Moral of the story? This guy was a complete idiot and jumped unscouted into our camp. He logged off, so we couldn't kill him in time. Then we had to put days of our lives into camping for the freighter, while the target only had to look at our forces every once in a while, and he went and did other stuff. The amount of time we had to invest in killing him was WAY out proportional to the effort he had to do to ensure his complete safety. Camping the system for the freighter to log in just doesn't work because he can just stay offline indefinately until we give up. Additionally there was no way that we could have ever possibly killed him, since he logged out immediately upon jumping in.

It's a broken mechanic. If we're able to aggress before he can warp off, he deserves to die.

All of this ^





This:

Quote:
We were, rightly so, angry. So, we did the only thing that was left to us. While this guy was logged off and doing other things, we had at LEASt 1 person sitting on that stargate 23/7 for the next 3 weeks waiting for this guy to log in. He likely had a neutral alt looking at us every now and then because he never ever logged in. After 3 weeks of waking up early, staying up really late, missing classes and work, we re-evaluated our position. We had poured countless hours into the camping of this stargate for the freighter, our locator agents told us he was still in system, so we knew he hadn't gotten out. But, because the freighter pilot was logged off, he could go do whatever he wanted and waste days and days of our lives while he just checked back every once in a while to see if it was safe. After 3 weeks we just couldn't keep it up, so we went back to our normal routine.



I think the freighter pilot invoked a lot of tears. I would also like to note that camping a gate 23/7 is probably not possible when one has a woman or significant other in their life.

In the true spirit of things, it's only normal that the kind of person who can do this much camping also turn to forums and screaming for a rules change. Though the logoffski still strikes me as lame, after reading that post it feels like loggoffski is more of a symptom of a bigger problem (crap gate mechanics and camping) than an actual problem in itself. If that really happened, then we can argue "so what else is a freighter pilot supposed to do?". But I also feel for gate campers for these crap mechanics have driven them to act like someone going into hock to keep putting coins in a slot machine thinking the next one is the jackpot. Well played.

This makes me want to create a freighter alt and do logoffskis.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Beliandra
Elgoi Developments Inc.
#303 - 2012-05-09 21:23:34 UTC
Citrute wrote:
RougeOperator wrote:

If Yes I unsub my accounts.


Your stuff, may i have it please?

He doesn't have any stuff, the freighter gank failed!
Oregin
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#304 - 2012-05-09 21:51:21 UTC
You guys should have known that this is how EVE works, nothing has changed here, as soon as the pilot logged your scout would have been able to tell you that the ship was going to disappear.

At least you are aware of the mechanics now and can plan to win next time.

I have to say though, you sound like a spoilt child. As somebody who totally agrees with the notion that log-offs at gates to avoid a loss is very uncool and an undesirable side effect of the game mechanic, I disagree with this thread because of your entitled attitude. Don't go demanding dev responses that you are in no way entitled to. I think unsubbing would be the best thing for you to do... go live in the real world where bad manners can't be thrown about under the security blanket of internet anonymity.

Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#305 - 2012-05-09 21:58:08 UTC
Oregin wrote:
You guys should have known that this is how EVE works, nothing has changed here, as soon as the pilot logged your scout would have been able to tell you that the ship was going to disappear.

At least you are aware of the mechanics now and can plan to win next time.

I have to say though, you sound like a spoilt child. As somebody who totally agrees with the notion that log-offs at gates to avoid a loss is very uncool and an undesirable side effect of the game mechanic, I disagree with this thread because of your entitled attitude. Don't go demanding dev responses that you are in no way entitled to. I think unsubbing would be the best thing for you to do... go live in the real world where bad manners can't be thrown about under the security blanket of internet anonymity.


Bulls***. The work-around is to have a frig on the other side of the gate to agress the freighter before he jumps to the next system, but if it can be said that logoffski is undesirable and goes against the intent, I think bringing up how people are still doing it is a valid complaint. Entitlement would be asking for compensation. These guys are just bringing up the fact that it is happening.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#306 - 2012-05-10 01:20:49 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Hi guys,

Posting to let you know that we haven't forgotten about you! GD are super busy right now but they have had a quick discussion on it and will get into it more in-depth once we have our current deployment out of the way I should think. We have all of the opinions and information that we need at this point, so I would urge you all to focus your energies elsewhere pending a response.



/emote awaits response

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#307 - 2012-05-10 01:41:40 UTC
The freighter pilot is a hero for making those risk adverse pussy ass gate campers cry. I tip my hat to you freighter guy.
RougeOperator
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#308 - 2012-05-10 02:06:04 UTC
Gogela wrote:
FeralShadow wrote:
Let me tell you a story, a story about pirates camping an entry system into our area of space. One day these pirates, while doing their usual shenanigans, notice a freighter jumped into their system. We were working our hardest to blockade this area of space to prevent our enemies from gaining reinforcements. We were elated that there was a freighter, likely from our enemies, that jumped randomly into our waiting arms. He decloaked, we pointed, locked, attacked, and then he disappeared.

We were, rightly so, angry. So, we did the only thing that was left to us. While this guy was logged off and doing other things, we had at LEASt 1 person sitting on that stargate 23/7 for the next 3 weeks waiting for this guy to log in. He likely had a neutral alt looking at us every now and then because he never ever logged in. After 3 weeks of waking up early, staying up really late, missing classes and work, we re-evaluated our position. We had poured countless hours into the camping of this stargate for the freighter, our locator agents told us he was still in system, so we knew he hadn't gotten out. But, because the freighter pilot was logged off, he could go do whatever he wanted and waste days and days of our lives while he just checked back every once in a while to see if it was safe. After 3 weeks we just couldn't keep it up, so we went back to our normal routine.

He promptly logged in, warped off, and went on to safety.

Moral of the story? This guy was a complete idiot and jumped unscouted into our camp. He logged off, so we couldn't kill him in time. Then we had to put days of our lives into camping for the freighter, while the target only had to look at our forces every once in a while, and he went and did other stuff. The amount of time we had to invest in killing him was WAY out proportional to the effort he had to do to ensure his complete safety. Camping the system for the freighter to log in just doesn't work because he can just stay offline indefinately until we give up. Additionally there was no way that we could have ever possibly killed him, since he logged out immediately upon jumping in.

It's a broken mechanic. If we're able to aggress before he can warp off, he deserves to die.

All of this ^



Seconded.

**Space wizards are real, they can make 10058 votes vanish. "and for a moment i hurd 10k goons cry out, then silence" **

Skex Relbore
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#309 - 2012-05-10 05:23:47 UTC
FeralShadow wrote:
Let me tell you a story, a story about pirates camping an entry system into our area of space. One day these pirates, while doing their usual shenanigans, notice a freighter jumped into their system. We were working our hardest to blockade this area of space to prevent our enemies from gaining reinforcements. We were elated that there was a freighter, likely from our enemies, that jumped randomly into our waiting arms. He decloaked, we pointed, locked, attacked, and then he disappeared.

We were, rightly so, angry. So, we did the only thing that was left to us. While this guy was logged off and doing other things, we had at LEASt 1 person sitting on that stargate 23/7 for the next 3 weeks waiting for this guy to log in. He likely had a neutral alt looking at us every now and then because he never ever logged in. After 3 weeks of waking up early, staying up really late, missing classes and work, we re-evaluated our position. We had poured countless hours into the camping of this stargate for the freighter, our locator agents told us he was still in system, so we knew he hadn't gotten out. But, because the freighter pilot was logged off, he could go do whatever he wanted and waste days and days of our lives while he just checked back every once in a while to see if it was safe. After 3 weeks we just couldn't keep it up, so we went back to our normal routine.

He promptly logged in, warped off, and went on to safety.

Moral of the story? This guy was a complete idiot and jumped unscouted into our camp. He logged off, so we couldn't kill him in time. Then we had to put days of our lives into camping for the freighter, while the target only had to look at our forces every once in a while, and he went and did other stuff. The amount of time we had to invest in killing him was WAY out proportional to the effort he had to do to ensure his complete safety. Camping the system for the freighter to log in just doesn't work because he can just stay offline indefinately until we give up. Additionally there was no way that we could have ever possibly killed him, since he logged out immediately upon jumping in.

It's a broken mechanic. If we're able to aggress before he can warp off, he deserves to die.


What is it about Blue that attracts the whinny crybabies?

There is nothing wrong with the mechanic. I can only imagine how much you pussies would have raged under the old one.

Here's a little clue for you. If your prey can't ever get away eventually you'll get nothing to kill.

BTW sounds like you accomplished your strategic objective since what ever the freighter in your story was hauling it didn't get to it's destination in a timely manner.

Oh and really, skipping work just to kill a single non-combat ship in a video game? That's just pathetic.
FeralShadow
Holey Roamin' Empire
Prismatic Legion
#310 - 2012-05-10 17:39:50 UTC
Wow you guys surely do hate on the pirates. But that isn't the point. Regardless of how you feel about pirates, the point was that freightor pilots should use alt scouts or have friends for backup like every other person in the game. We were risking our ships every time we went out on excursions. We pirated Black Rise, and there were both Gallente Militia and Caldari Militia looking for our corpses every day, and people knew we were there. The fact that this person jumped in wantonly, without regard for the safety of his ship, then logged off to avoid its destruction is just lame.

I agree gate camping is lame, and honestly it likely is a symptom of a larger problem. If we can make it so fights actually occurred in other areas of the system then that would be perfect.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia