These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

So why is CCP supporting the Burn Jita event?

First post First post
Author
Ank Parkor
WildSpace Otters
#281 - 2012-05-01 14:13:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ank Parkor
Advertisements?
I have just readen an article about the event on one of the most famous french newspaper (and my favorite, so it is the best!): http://www.lefigaro.fr/jeux-video/2012/04/30/03019-20120430ARTFIG00489-une-insurrection-anarchiste-se-declenche-dans-un-jeu-en-ligne.php
There are even some words about Dust.

As fairly capitalist & economics centred, the paper name Goons anarchists.

It is a very very good move for the game. More players = more fun = more money for CCP = more content.

To all the sandbox builders : keep on the good job.
Even if I hate you Smile

[u]Short time trader, short term missionner, long term ambitions.[/u]

Bring justice to EVE: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1171333

Velicitia
XS Tech
#282 - 2012-05-01 14:42:14 UTC
Twulf wrote:
Davin Nix wrote:
Twulf wrote:


If its a Sandbox as you claim then the OP should be able to play the game as they want. That is what a Sandbox is.

What we have in EVE is a Sandbox that is controlled by large alliances and corporations. That is not a Sandbox as a few decide how the rest should play but I do not expect idiots like you to understand logic and common sense.


A single player sandbox should of course operate in the way you suggest.
However, eve is a massively multiplayer online sandbox. And the very mechanics which allow the formation of corporations and alliances encourage such behaviour.
The fight for control of resources necessitates the formation of large alliances and corporations as simple escalation. This is a survival tactic. Just because every once in a while a large alliance uses the power they have to mount a campaign such as burn jita is not making the game unfair as such. It is in fact a clever move to raise prices and undoubtedly some people are making vast amounts of isk out of it.

to be successful in eve you cannot play alone. If you'd prefer this, go play X3 or some other single player space sim
Dav


Stop saying EVE is a Sandbox than. A sandbox supports every type of gamer including solo players, if the game Mechanics does not support solo play then it cannot be a sandbox because in a Sandbox a player decided what to do, when to do it and how to do it and if they choose solo then that should be an option. In EvE that is not an option, hense its NOT a sandbox, so stop with this crap about being a Sandbox.

Per your own logic EVE is not a sandbox because solo play is not an option due to game mechanics.

I happened to not play the game solo and enjoy it but to tell others that their game play is wrong because they want to play solo, than EVE cannot be a Sandbox.

I think you Vet EVE players should learn what a Sandbox is before you keep using it over and over again and clearly do not understand what a Sandbox is.


Funny, I find enough "solo" things to do (run a few missions or moving NPC crap around or something while waiting for people). I can take my tools (bucket, shovel, whatever), and CCP's sand and play in the sandbox and make my sandcastle village.

Now, with that in mind ... BoB or m0o or Goons or whoever have pooled their collective resources, and are now playing in the sandbox with a few hundred (or thousand) other kids with their collective shovels and buckets to make an even bigger sandcastle city than I could even hope to build on my own in an entire lifetime.

NOW -- multiplayer sandbox ... m0o or Goons or BoB or whoever can decide that my corner of the sandbox is better, because maybe it's closer to the water fountain (or where ever we're getting the water from to make the sandcastles), stomp all over my little sandcastle and take my corner (see: Ice Interdiction).

Or, I can go by myself and harass the people hauling the buckets of water to the m0o/Goon/BoB sandcastle and make things annoying for them (see: AFK cloaking).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#283 - 2012-05-01 14:50:44 UTC
Or to put it in even more basic terms.

A "Sandbox" doesn't mean you can do what you want.

A "Sandbox" means you can TRY to do what you want, but there are no guarantees.

If what you want to do in the sandbox conficts with what another player wants to do, it's up to you to try and prevail.

The sandbox won't sort the issue out for you.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Letrange
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#284 - 2012-05-01 14:53:46 UTC
Lindsay Fox wrote:
I've been playing this game since 2005, I've read a lot of dumb crap on these forums.

This is probably the single most absurd thing I've read. I feel like I'm being trolled by Salvador Dali.

The whole post is it's own answer. To anyone who knows anything about the ideas behind a 'sandbox' like Eve, this post doesn't raise a single point worth any consideration. Every single argument being made is like a perfect distillation of all the different types of whining that crops up repeatedly in the forums from people who don't get it.

Just seeing someone start a complaint by suggesting that the game 'is a little bit too much like real life' makes my brain warp like I've been drinking PCP Koolaid. *that is the whole freaking point you dim, dim person*.

Many people think that the real problem is the lack of space-sim MMOs so people don't have a choice. People like the OP would probably go play somewhere that was WoW in space, if they could.

But one of the things that make the 'real life' hardships of Eve much more interesting is that there are plenty of people playing who would rather be somewhere else, but have no choice.

In that respect, it's also a lot like real life. I like that.

So, while in some ways it would be good for the players if CCP had a serious competitor with a 'safer' universe, it would also make Eve a bit more homogenous and less interesting, IMO.


Just to point out there IS Star Trek online and there is SWTOR, so it's not like there's a lack of "wow in space" options available to the OP.
Ira Infernus
Maximum Carebear
#285 - 2012-05-01 14:56:54 UTC
I like what GSwarm is doing to jita... too long has it been full of the worst kind of carebears; miners and mission runners who stay withint <5j of the major trade hub, and dont know that other trade hubs exist outside of the forge.
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#286 - 2012-05-01 15:47:31 UTC
Every single thing I could have said againsts OPs extreme noobness and lack of understanding of EVE has been said already by my fellow brethren capsuleers.

If you want to stop them you CAN. You have the means to form a counter force, or work socially to strengthen your own position within the game.

Your "I AM ALONE IN THE WORLD AND I WANT IT TO BE PERFECT" attitude does not work well in this Sandbox.

Havent you stopped to think that ANYTHING they can do you can do too?

Oh wait, you gonna blame them for being too many, too big, too X.

You are the symptom of the degeneration of society, living in your own encapsulated space bubble, failing to realize you have the power and the potential to be part of something greater instead of being a slacktivist for whatever new cause against world hunger or poverty arises and feel you doing something just by clicking submit in a comments option in a weird blog somewhere.

You live in hell already and I will show it to you with this millennium old Buddhist parable:

In Hell, people have chopsticks 10´´ long glued to their hands and all food is served on 10´´ wide table and you are for ease of reference glued to your chair, and there you are amongst the other forgotten souls, moaning and wailing in eternal hunger blaming others and cursing your miserable afterlife for Eternity as you cry deep tears of putrid blackness.

in Heaven, people have chopsticks 10´´ long glued to their hands and all food is served on 10´´ wide table and you are for ease of reference glued to your chair, and there you are amongst the other souls, happily singing as everyone feeds each other as a group , passing eternity in contentment and merriment as they satiate their hunger for eternity in an ever blissful state of dinner with friends and loved ones.

See? you are in Hell, anyone else in a group in eve is in Heaven. Begone from here and your rants, go to other places that cater to your own expectations and handhold you as they leech away your soul.

Eve is not for you.

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Diomedes Calypso
Aetolian Armada
#287 - 2012-05-01 16:09:23 UTC
So, basically the OP is saying he doesn't want an MMO to exist wher it is actually a persistant virtual world where players create and environment in which other players also function.


I have to say the trend is away from virtual universes that existed in the Text Muds to essetially Campaign games with mutiple players running the campaigns together and a bit of public IRC (although the public chat channels where players interact have also gradually been regressing)


I don't take issue with people liking different sorts of games than I do.

I do take issue when those players come to one of the last leaders trying to make a virtual world where players do indeed play at least some role in shaping that world.

Why come to the last different game and whine and complain and try to shut down this sort of game alternative when there are so few of this sort of game and so many other choices you have ?

.

Stanis Myunga
Exiled Souls
#288 - 2012-05-01 16:26:51 UTC
Look at me not giving a crap.

Player-driven events BEST EVENTS.

Beats the schtick out of having to go "dungeon raiding" or some such which is pretty much what you can already do with level 4s.

That aside, why don't YOU organize something and get it done? Like... build supaaa sekret cap fleet and get your highsec buddies(and you, of course) to invade tech moons for I dunno, a week or something. It's not stated you can't do so in the EULA.
Wolf Kruol
Suicide Squad Gamma
#289 - 2012-05-01 16:57:54 UTC
CCP made this game to reflect a science fiction universe. You understand this. CCP set rules and boundries that give players freedom to explore build and destroy within the rules CCP built.

CCP has support this from the start because its part of the game since day one.

If you players don't like this, Why are you playing EVE? There are good people and bad ones like in RL. Criminals and heros etc.

Don't blame CCP. Don't blame people. Blame yourself for not realizing how foolish you make yourself look with these post.

Instead of bitching, Fight back or hire security... how about hide? or how about joining a bigger alliance. Maybe quit and play simpler games.

Your the only one at fault for playing a game that doesn't suit your confort zone.

See quote below. It says it all.

Quote: Malcanis

"You consent to PvP when you undock your ships, whether you accept this or not. There is no entitlement to safety."


So welcome to eve. Pirate

Mr. Kruol

“If you're very very stupid? How can you possibly realize you're very very stupid?

You have to be relatively intelligent to realize how stupid you really are!”

Alhezhar Alabyd al-Mu'minin
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#290 - 2012-05-01 17:06:30 UTC
ISD LoneLynx wrote:
Minor deletions and fixing posts where I had found 'workarounds' of the profanity filter.

This thread is definitely volatile, but there's an actual discussion going on here, so I will not lock it... for now.

Keep your minds clear and your posts free of personal attacks.




I'M NOT SMART ENOUGH TO DO ANY OF THOSE THINGS >:[

WHY IS CCP MAKING SUCH UNFAIR DEMANDS OF ME???
Alhezhar Alabyd al-Mu'minin
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#291 - 2012-05-01 17:07:58 UTC
Ank Parkor wrote:
Advertisements?
I have just readen an article about the event on one of the most famous french newspaper (and my favorite, so it is the best!): http://www.lefigaro.fr/jeux-video/2012/04/30/03019-20120430ARTFIG00489-une-insurrection-anarchiste-se-declenche-dans-un-jeu-en-ligne.php
There are even some words about Dust.

As fairly capitalist & economics centred, the paper name Goons anarchists.

It is a very very good move for the game. More players = more fun = more money for CCP = more content.

To all the sandbox builders : keep on the good job.
Even if I hate you Smile




For all you non-Francophiles out there, it might be useful to know that "Le Figaro" is French for "The Figaro".

Thanks!
Kathtrine
My Dot Corp
#292 - 2012-05-01 17:14:48 UTC
Groperson wrote:
~Devswarm Federation~ follow the clues ~


Yes it is... thanks for the confirmation....

[b]If your griefing about EvE online and still paying for it, your hooked and CCP has done thier job.

Now go blow somebodies ship up and stop whining about whatever your are lacking.[/b]

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#293 - 2012-05-01 17:16:04 UTC
Burn Jita amounted to a fart in a windstorm...why should CCP care in the least?

Trust me, as soon as subscriptions are affected (Incarna was a good example) CCP has shown they can and will act to save their game.
Kathtrine
My Dot Corp
#294 - 2012-05-01 17:48:59 UTC
Ana Vyr wrote:
Burn Jita amounted to a fart in a windstorm...why should CCP care in the least?

Trust me, as soon as subscriptions are affected (Incarna was a good example) CCP has shown they can and will act to save their game.



CCP sanctioned mostly, but who cares.... A carebear that cried because their freighter got popped? Well if you didn't know about the JITA burning crap before hand.... your just dumb.

If you did know and tried to send your (bot) freighter in there anyway... you deserved to get popped. Eat your loss.

GIMA had people in there... 0 Losses. Wish I was there popping goons with them. Or even a freighter or two.

And why bother buying over priced crap in Jita.... try somewhere else. Sell somewhere else. Just because somebody started selling everything in JITA you have to also... Make a new hub.

OR better yet. Start your own Goonswarm alliance.... Group up and go kill them. Have fun....

Silly carebears.. your gonna loose ships in EVE....

[b]If your griefing about EvE online and still paying for it, your hooked and CCP has done thier job.

Now go blow somebodies ship up and stop whining about whatever your are lacking.[/b]

Esrevid Nekkeg
Justified and Ancient
#295 - 2012-05-01 18:43:28 UTC
Generally speaking, IRL my freedom to act as I please ends where it inhibits the freedom of someone else to do the same. (There are laws and some grey areas, but that's not the point here)

In EvE, my freedom to act as I please ends when somebody stops me. Or convinces me to stop. In both cases very often by making my ship go BOOM....Blink

That's EvE. Even for a carebear like me. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here I used to have a sig of our old Camper in space. Now it is disregarded as being the wrong format. Looking out the window I see one thing: Nothing wrong with the format of our Camper! Silly CCP......

Diomedes Calypso
Aetolian Armada
#296 - 2012-05-01 18:50:14 UTC
"Care bears" should not forget that almost 99% of them are involved in the Arms Industry.

If you're building combat ships or mining minerals that go toward building combat ships you are hardly an innocent bystander.

As there isn't much of an economy outside ships and as PVE losses are so incredibly low it would be very hard to argue that the ships you build mostly get used for peace loving missions of detroying rats... a few might, but they last forever.

.

Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#297 - 2012-05-01 19:05:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
"There is no bad PR"

Diomedes Calypso wrote:
"Care bears" should not forget that almost 99% of them are involved in the Arms Industry.


I have an uncle who works for Raytheon he says he's a "defense contractor"

Oooooh you meant IN GAME

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Alhezhar Alabyd al-Mu'minin
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#298 - 2012-05-01 19:07:06 UTC
Esrevid Nekkeg wrote:
Generally speaking, IRL my freedom to act as I please ends where it inhibits the freedom of someone else to do the same.



Well if you didn't want that then you shouldn't have chosen not to be born incredibly wealthy Roll
Alistair Colombo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#299 - 2012-05-03 00:01:17 UTC
damn, that day i made a lot of money looting the ships, you just need to see the good side of things!
Nephilius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#300 - 2012-05-03 00:07:35 UTC
Kurai Kihaku wrote:
Just want to understand the logic behind the game company taking such a stance.


Publicity.
"If."